CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tricia, Jan 9, 2019.

1. thelmadawg

thelmadawg Well-Known Member

Having followed this case for nine years, you can guess I'm a bit obsessed with finding justice for the remaining Mcstay family members.

I am somewhat concerned with the prosecutor's rather cocky attitude. he consistently turns his back and shuffles through papers, etc. while the judge is speaking to the attornies, or a witness is delivering a response. Could this have a negative effect on the jury?

Cortne, Augustgurl, minusfour and 3 others like this.
  2. Chelly

Chelly Remember Teghan Skiba

Is court in session today? Does anyone know, or is it dark on Fridays?

minusfour likes this.
  3. ScorpioRising

ScorpioRising Well-Known Member

It's dark on Fridays. Judge is semi-retired.

minusfour, byo and Chelly like this.
  4. Chelly

Thank you. I'll stop waiting for live stream

minusfour, byo and minazoe like this.
  5. asyousay

asyousay Well-Known Member

I definitely don’t remember a knife being mentioned before the trial started at the grave.

6. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

I searched the main forum yesterday, I couldn't find any mention of a knife in one of the graves. I also searched google for any mentions in articles since they were found, and nothing. Other than the defense mentioning it in the OS's, that is all we have.

If it wasn't true, wouldn't the prosecution say something? misrepresenting the facts, lying, something? lol

cobalt sky, Niner, minusfour and 2 others like this.
  7. Bernina

Bernina Well-Known Member

Marking my spot, can't believe this trial is actually started.
    I, also, don't remember a knife being found in one of the graves.
    Missed the 1st week of testimony so I'm off to watch the videos.

:) "Hey!" fellow sleuthers, been quite a while!

SuziQ, TheRaven, Niner and 7 others like this.
  8. Chelly

Hey Bernina, Good to see you here.

9. asyousay

So the fact that DK’s Girlfriend mentioned he held one of the children at knife point may give her statement some value as if it wasn’t in the media how did DK or her know a knife was involved?

10. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

I watched the prosecutor's opening speech and I don't recall a knife being mentioned when he went through what was found in the graves. Maybe I missed it.

minazoe, Bernina and minusfour like this.
  11. missy1974

Right. I can't seem to find ANYTHING about a knife! I did find that in the preliminary hearing, they said the backpack had a paintbrush and a 'garden tool'. Is it possible they were calling the knife a garden tool? or the defense is calling the garden tool a knife? Still don't know why the prosecution would allow the defense to "lie" in their OS though.

It was in the defense OS.

About the 49 minute mark:

12. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

Thanks missy, I haven't listened to that part yet.

missy1974 likes this.
  13. asyousay

I wouldn’t call a knife a garden tool though , more like a kitchen utensil.

14. Bernina

Bernina Well-Known Member

I listened to the defense's OS and they claimed CM was changing Quickbooks from Web to Desktop for JM at JM's request (on the 5th of Feb.).......I don't recall CM claiming that to anyone when questioned. Has anyone heard this explanation/justification before now?

la2cabo, Niner, katydid23 and 3 others like this.
  15. mom2chloe

mom2chloe Well-Known Member

FWIW, DK was cleared many years ago as his alibi was corroborated and he was indeed in fact in Hawaii. IIRC, he contacted the McStay family either shortly upon his return to the mainland or immediately before (maybe both!) because he wasn't able to reach Joey via phone or text. He was legitimately concerned about the family!
    All of the McStays were bludgeoned to death with the sledgehammer. You don’t discard a knife when a sledgehammer was the murder weapon. If a knife was found it was planted and has zero bearing on these crimes. Possibly it may have been an afterthought to create doubt or cast blame; a red herring if you will.
    Initially, Chase Merritt told detectives that if he were ever to murder someone it would be DK. The same disparaging type comments he made regarding Summer and what a ***** she was in his opinion. All while referring to the McStays in the past tense.
    CM forged checks, back dated them and tried to delete the accounting records and even went so far as to call the bank pretending to be Joey and requesting all of the accounting info be deleted.
    DK had zero to do with this and I look forward to his name being cleared. The McStay Family and Friends have suffered immeasurably at the hands of CM. Please do not be fooled by the Defense’s antics and wait patiently because justice will come. It is horrific what the family has had to endure thus far in the trial and DK is another innocent victim regardless of what they try to sell to you and the jury. IMHO

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 8:49 PM
    Kittybunny, SuziQ, Cortne and 13 others like this.
  16. mom2chloe

No and I call BS!

tmar, la2cabo, Bernina and 3 others like this.
  17. Mica

Mica Well-Known Member

I don’t recall any specific info related to CM changing QB from Web to Desktop. However, CM did admit to having JM’s permission to access QB in an interview with Det. Dugal in July 2011.

Snip

Merritt told San Diego County sheriff’s detective Troy Dugal during a July 7, 2011 interview that Joseph McStay had given him permission to access and use his Quickbooks accounting software program and had been in possession of six blank checks prior to Joseph McStay’s disappearance. Merritt said he used the checks to pay bills and to pay himself for jobs completed, according to search warrants.

Merritt admitted to Dugal he signed Joseph McStay’s name on three of the checks, and claimed the other three checks he had written already had Joseph McStay’s signature on them.

Joseph McStay was going to fire his alleged killer over gambling debt, documents say – San Bernardino Sun

cobalt sky, Cortne, Force Ten and 6 others like this.
  18. mom2chloe

What possible reason could CM have had for acquiring checks and/or Joey’s accounting information? He was a hired contractor. Nothing more/nothing less. Not a best friend to Joey but an employee with an extreme dislike for Summer and a pathological gambler who murdered not only the hand that fed him but his wife and tiny children as well.

Cortne, tmar, la2cabo and 7 others like this.
  19. missy1974

I was reading the preliminary hearing transcripts earlier today, I can't recall which officer was testifying, but basically said that Merritt didn't give any explanation about the Quickbooks.

20. missy1974

I didn't know he was "cleared", but really didn't look into any other theories after CM was arrested. The defense said in their OS's that it was not corroborated and IIRC SDSD dropped the ball, and SBSD only had eyes on CM. I am not saying this is true, but if there is no corroboration, it could become an issue IMO In all the years that I followed (which was until they were found) I just don't recall that DK was supposed to have been in Hawaii and I have a pretty good memory lol

I think the checks are going to be the biggest hurdle for CM. I just don't know that there is any good explanation for that.