CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #6

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by dalsglen, Aug 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItalyReader

ItalyReader Well-Known Member

I was thinking about San Francisco this morning, due to my recent reflections on the values and lifestyle of that city, and an element of yoga came to mind: bikram yoga, also called “hot yoga”.

Ellen as a practitioner of yoga was surely familiar with Bikram yoga, where one sustains temperatures of 105 degrees for 90 minutes in a closed room while performing yoga.

She may or may not have been an expert in bikram yoga per se, but as a yoga person she surely had some level of familiarity or experience in it.

What if the weather forecast did not phase her because she was accustomed to those temps?
    What if Jon had participated in a few of those classes with her? And he too was not phased?

It could be one reason that they thought it would be ok to hike in those same high temps.

This does not explain taking the baby and the dog because young children (let alone babies) should not participate in the temperatures of bikram.
    Bikram Yoga for Kids — Bikram Yoga Nairobi

But perhaps it explains their lack of preoccupation about the high temps before setting out?

moo and truly just a theory

katydid23, bettyboop, HulaMum and 4 others like this.

2. HannahJJJ

HannahJJJ Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, what do they mean by "dirt"? "Dirt" as opposed to simply "on the ground"? Found between JG and Ellen?

5W's and whatsnext like this.
  3. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

I need a love icon for your post: so thoughtful and respectful!

4. 5W's

5W's Well-Known Member

That's a good question HannahJJJ. I also wonder about this.

5. 5W's

5W's Well-Known Member

Sorry in post #206 this thread I posted " HS or in other words heat exhaustion" I think heat exhaustion leads to heat stroke so my mistake. I should have just said heat stroke or HS. But my point remains the same though.

Lilibet likes this.
  6. 5W's

5W's Well-Known Member

My question is more specific. IMO Oski would have collapsed not that long into the hike. Were his paws burnt? If not it doesn't make sense that he was able to continue in this condition of such extreme heat. I still think something happened early on in their hike that may have spooked them to continue.

7. everybodhi

everybodhi Well-Known Member

..continue the route he researched and mapped out the night before, during an ongoing heatwave.

8. 5W's

5W's Well-Known Member

Either they continued hiking or they didn't get far just upto the point they were found having walked from the parking lot shortly after arriving at the trailhead parking lot. I just cannot see Oski doing that hike in those conditions.

RedHaus, Daisyeve and neesaki like this.
  9. Speculaytor

Speculaytor Well-Known Member

I am a bit confused, and was hoping someone here could clarify something. We die at body temp of approximately 105 degrees, correct? So how could anyone exert themselves in environmental conditions over 100 degrees, and not succumb? Even sitting out in a 105 + degree environment, with no protection from the sun, WITHOUT exerting yourself would kill you after a certain amount of time, wouldn't it? And at some point, having enough water doesn't matter, hyperthermia sets in. Same idea when it is cold, hypothermia sets in and people succumb? Philip Kreycik went on a very challenging run in extreme heat and succumbed this past year. So incredibly tragic, praying these cases educate others who love the outdoors.

5W's, RedHaus, lotus777 and 5 others like this.
  10. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

I agree. There is more to this. Maybe the problem is that LE can’t say what the “more “ is, because it can’t be proven. I really hope the cell phone info. will shed some light on this terrible tragedy.

aauummm, 5W's, RedHaus and 4 others like this.
  11. ilovewings

Why does there have to be more? The explanation of how they died makes sense to me.

12. MaryG12

MaryG12 Well-Known Member

I've experienced the same with Florida sun and humidity - felt like I was being baked in an oven.

Having said that, I wonder if any of the family members had sunburns on their bodies, or were they well covered with sunshield?

I don't even know that sunshield would protect for long hours.

13. neesaki

DPost

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  14. neesaki

My post doesn’t say that. I agreed with 5w that there is more. Of course that is just my opinion. I guess what makes sense to one person, may not make sense to another. My apologies for the confusion. I hope this clears things up.

15. everybodhi

Yes. This article is very long but there's alot of information here about heatwave related deaths this year.

Hidden Toll of the Northwest Heat Wave: Hundreds of Extra Deaths

Washington State has officially reported that 95 people died from heat-related causes during the week of the heat wave, but investigations are continuing. Oregon has confirmed 96 heat-related deaths so far.

But the states’ excess deaths figures — nearly 450 extra deaths in Washington, and nearly 160 in Oregon, which has a little more than half the population of its northern neighbor — suggest the official figures severely underestimate the heat wave’s effect on mortality.

Extreme heat disproportionately affects vulnerable populations, including older people, homeless people and those who work outdoors. Access to air-conditioning can be a life saver. A preliminary review of deaths during the heat wave in Multnomah County, Ore., which includes Portland, found that none of the 54 people who died had central air-conditioning.

An analysis made public last week reported a sharp rise in emergency department visits in the Pacific Northwest during the heat wave in late June. Between June 25 and June 30, nearly 3,000 emergency department visits were recorded for heat-related illness.

On June 28th alone, more than 1,000 heat-related visits to emergency departments were reported, compared with fewer than 10 visits during the same period in 2019.

When temperatures rise, people can become severely ill, or even die, if the body is unable to effectively sweat and cool off. High humidity increases the risk, because sweat can’t evaporate as quickly. That can lead to an increase in internal body temperature, which can cause muscles and enzymes to stop working and organs to shut down.

CDC graphs
    Screenshot_2021-10-22-19-53-06-29.jpg Screenshot_2021-10-22-19-51-33-02.jpg
    ETA summer heatwave map of the Northwest
    Screenshot_2021-10-22-19-44-44-47.jpg

16. ilovewings

No need to apologize- I know people see things differently: i was just curious with my question

neesaki likes this.
  17. IceIce9

IceIce9 Well-Known Member

I think the “more” that people want to know is actually the WHY, and we will never know.

Why they decided to hike on a day with a brutal heat forecast, why they didn’t take proper supplies and wear appropriate clothing, why they didn’t turn around and return to the car.

The “why” will never, can never, be known.

bettyboop, HulaMum, Bekind89 and 10 others like this.
  18. IceIce9

IceIce9 Well-Known Member

The body regulates its own internal temperature very well under normal conditions. It will regulate to 97-98 degrees whether you are in an environment of 20 degrees outside or 90 degrees.

Prolonged exposure to very cold temperatures can cause hypothermia, and prolonged exposure to extremely hot conditions can cause hyperthermia.

Depending on overall physical condition, some will suffer the effects of extreme hot or cold temperatures before others.

19. everybodhi

Studies I posted back thread also found a genetic connection, proof some are just more prone than others.

20. Pumphouse363

Pumphouse363 Well-Known Member

I’d like to know who was the ‘witness’ who saw the vehicle at 7.45am driving in the direction of Hites Cove and again saw the vehicle parked at the trailhead 15 minutes later. Was this person out on a hike? Did they know the family or were they just visitors to the area? If he/she was walking in the same direction there are only two paths to take (the same as Jon and Ellen). The one which LE says Jon and Ellen took to the left and the on the right, the Savage Lundy where they were found.
    Surely the same conditions prevailed for this person? Where did they go? What did they see? If they had continued on the same trail as Jon and Ellen wouldn’t he/she have passed them being less encumbered? If he/she chose to trek down SL trail to the right, what was their experience? Obviously, at least one other person didn’t think it strange to be out walking that way on a hot Sunday morning - but nobody else.

5W's, RedHaus, Daisyeve and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.