CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a very sad ending but not a surprising cause of death. I've been so baffled by this and checking daily for any new news. I'm so glad it's no longer a mystery and the family can have closure, and hopefully a nice memorial (if they haven't already). RIP Gerrish Chung family!

Now claiming the bladder was empty...

Sheriff: Family died from hyperthermia, possible dehydration while hiking Mariposa Co. trail

LIVE: Sheriff: Family died from hyperthermia, possible dehydration while hiking Mariposa Co. trail

ETA: Hyperthermia = heat stroke (not to be confused with hypothermia).

It’s what I thought. I think that the bladder was empty for all practical purposes, but still had a trace of water that could be tested? Or was it bone dry?—I think that’d be difficult to do, with a bladder setup?

Just questions, not even opinions.

It has always made the most sense, but it’s just so sad. They were just wanting to hike. I think the extreme heat just caught up to them quickly along with the steep hike out of the canyon. It probably didn’t feel too bad when setting out—downhill—and just became unbearable and not survivable.

Rest in peace sweet family.

• They had a small amount of baby formula in a bottle and some snacks.
  • FBI still has JG's cell phone and is looking at it and making progress. There is no cell reception in that area.
  • Sheriff Briese and team went through the findings with the G/C family.
  • He does not know about exact time of death
  • They were dressed in shorts / tanktops and had the baby carrier.
  • All tox reports negative for any prescription drugs or other drugs

They walked 2.2 miles on Hites Cove Rd Trail, then 1.9 miles on the USFS trail, so about 4 miles before they began up Savage-Lundy.

How would they know that? Did the family leave footprints?

A filter would not have taken out the algae toxins but many hikers carry a filtration kit. It had come out in an earlier update in Aug or Sept that they did not have one with them. It is really surprising that they carried so little water, to me, anyway. Very sad. Hopefully others will learn from this story and be more cautious about water and about the dangers of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998