CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by dalsglen, Aug 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

2. MizStery

MizStery Missing Pregnant Lacy P. brought me here in 2005

Thanks to Knox and Parsip. I have reread both of your comments numerous times, & “the 6:45 AM photo they uploaded Sunday ‘of the baby backpack’ keeps haunting me.

I suspect this will keep me awake tonight.

Thanks for reading.

My Opinion

misgrn, happyday, NSamuelle and 4 others like this.
  3. sfinkz

sfinkz Well-Known Member

I am beginning to believe the dog was the trigger. It has been established that the crew did make it to the South Fork, via Hites Cove. Bit of a bushwhack up canyon to Savage Lundy, completing the loop by climbing up the switchbacks (a bearish ascent) to complete the loop.
    At any rate, the river canyon—the destination, shaded with cool water running through it, serving as an ideal picnic/rest stop—would mitigate any early heat-related issues, after five relatively easy miles over 3-4 hours (with lunch break).
    The river, at near historically low levels, may have lured an excitable, panting animal to its deeper and more stagnant pools, a breeding ground for toxic algae, not necessarily fatal but causing unpleasantness.
    Leaving refreshed, with the real test ahead, the dog soon has problems. Everything comes to a halt. The hot afternoon sun beats down on the southern slope. The dog is carried for awhile, slowing their progress and sapping their strength, etc., etc., or maybe it’s just a bad tuna fish sandwich or sprained ankle, something that hinders their mobility and increases their exposure—I am convinced they are sticking together as a group, only as strong as their weakest link—until, ultimately, heatstroke takes its toll at varying rates.

neesaki, JustJo, SophieRose and 10 others like this.
  4. GatorFL

GatorFL Well-Known Member

I think they're quick to rule out homicide when there is no evidence of murder.

NoSI, j_in_c, momsof3 and 2 others like this.
  5. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

RSBM

This is also what make me hesitate with the heat stroke theory.

jmo

minazoe, abr, misgrn and 5 others like this.
  6. rahod1

rahod1 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but there are two significant assumptions here: 1) They did the whole loop instead of a down and back the same trail. 2) There was ample shade along the river. BTW, shade alone won't be sufficient if it's limited and the ambient temperature is high.

misgrn, realanastasia and Knox like this.
  7. lilithblue

lilithblue Well-Known Member

Mariposa is not in Death Valley.

Current temperatures right now:

Mariposa 77-84, depending on site checked, etc.
    Fresno 90-94
    Death Valley 106

There's not one temperature for the whole of California, or even within regions. Mariposa seems to be a somewhat milder area.

GatorFL, misgrn and Doghairrules like this.
  8. silsby

silsby Verified Insider - friend of Jessica Marshik

This is truly a sad situation, regardless
    To be fair, Death Valley is like no place else on Earth when it comes to heat.

misgrn and lilithblue like this.
  9. whirrledpeas

whirrledpeas Well-Known Member

Heat may have been a contributing factor to what happened to the family as a whole, but it is still very unlikely that heat stroke symptoms did not show up in any three of their autopsies if it was, in fact, heat stroke that killed all three.

13Moons, Noelscat, minazoe and 13 others like this.
  10. Coquette

Coquette Observer

No truer words, friend. The masks we wear...

I was taken aback by Ellen's pause on IG. She was a very regular poster until the birth of her daughter. Then only one post that seemed rather.... melancholy to me. Perhaps just deeply thoughtful. Nothing since then. I still wonder if the 'debilitating health' issue coupled with possible PPD was laying heavy on her. I hope not, but I'm a realist. May answers come soon.

MOO.

neesaki, 13Moons, Noelscat and 21 others like this.
  11. woods

woods Well-Known Member

It was 107 to 109 degrees Sunday afternoon when officials believe they hiked.

12. Tellyties

Tellyties New Member

I couldn’t
    I couldn’t agree more with this. It’s so baffling to me especially after they reported seeing the footprints. A couple of men on foot with some mighty flashlights could have likely discovered them much sooner. MOO

Doghairrules, abr, momsof3 and 4 others like this.
  13. annpats

annpats Well-Known Member

According to another websleuther here, he/she posted there were search & rescue teams in overnight. So I'm relieved at that.

14. lilithblue

lilithblue Well-Known Member

I'd really love to see where either LE or reliable historical source data shows it was actually that hot that day.

Slightly off topic... I've been off these boards for over a year. Are we no longer able to mention anything from public groups on social media, such as the Sheriff's Department? Or is it just that we need to provide links to it?

starviego likes this.
  15. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Hope this helps-
    Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

16. LifeIsAMystery

LifeIsAMystery Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a link to the backpack photo?

I think it may have been new, in other photos the baby is in a different type of carrier.

17. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

To my knowledge it is not a public photo, nor has it been shared by anyone.

misgrn, JMapes and MizStery like this.
  18. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

I think it was 1.5 miles from where they were found to the car. But they surely walked much further before they turned around and headed back?

everybodhi and mickey2942 like this.
  19. rahod1

rahod1 Well-Known Member

For me, it's safe to assume the ultimate cause of death was the same for all victims. It's certainly possible that, as some point out, the dog may have ingested tainted water and this was a *trigger* for what followed. I don't think that's likely, since warning signs were evident and I'm convinced they wouldn't have allowed the dog to access the water, but you can't rule that out. I would find it a huge stretch to assume the family ingested, let alone doused themselves, in the river water. BTW, it's possible that the algae could aerosolize and become airborne an inhaled. Not likely though. ERGO>>. Heat Stroke still appears to be the most likely IMO

20. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

When our 18 month old was being treated for heat exhaustion [he wasn't at stroke levels thank goodness]---they put cold packs on the back of his neck, on his chest and sprayed his body with cool water---they told us they needed to bring his 'core temperature' down.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    cocomod, trujac, Denisedyann and 18 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.