GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018 #2

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Oct 14, 2018.

1. marylamby

marylamby Well-Known Member

You can say that again.

2. marylamby

Melissa said herself, on Dr. Phil, that there are two recordings. It was quick but she said it.

Traymar, Oofydoof, Jim_M and 4 others like this.
  3. marylamby

I can't answer your questions or allude to where you can find them per websleuth rules.

Jim_M, inmyhumbleopinion and gitana1 like this.
  4. marylamby

LE declaring a witness 'viable' or credible simply means they didn't find him pirouetting around in a tutu while playing a kazoo. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    If there's no video or corroborating evidence, it just means that he/they sounded believable.

LadyL, Traymar, Oofydoof and 2 others like this.
  5. marylamby

Another thing that's notable is the movie in the background on ONE of the two audios Melissa recorded. The name of the movie eludes me at the moment but it was on HBO and being played all month, as they do, but there's also HBO on demand where you could watch anytime.

Traymar, Jim_M, Beagle and 3 others like this.
  6. becks_

becks_ On Time Out

they need to search 3 or 4 miles away from her house and they'll find her she's close by they just need to search properly .

7. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I've done some deep digging. I can find no confirmation that her car was repaired. She stated that she ran over some boulders in her Corolla that first day. She later tried to change it, "I should have said rocks."

She later posted a post that can either be taken as an out of context denial that her car was repaired or as as minimization that the damage was nothing major.

The problem is she changes her story so much.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  8. gitana1

We cannot verify any repair at all. I took people's word for it here but after much research there's no concrete evidence I can find.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Traymar, Jim_M, MsMarple and 5 others like this.
  9. gitana1

I don't know. She seems more geniune than the other ones and I think she does feel a lot of grief but I think that was somewhat contrived.

But yeah. She's not involved. Nothing ties her to the disappearance, she was over a hundred miles away in another state and it wouldn't be logical for her to be involved.

j_in_c, Traymar, Jim_M and 5 others like this.
  10. gitana1

True. But that's another issue. I was only commenting on whether Mono was obligated due to a conflict to give the case to another agency.

But on the subject you brought up, in my extensive digging, I haven't found anything to suggest they didn't do a super detailed job on this case.

People are complaining that they didn't treat the home as a crime scene when they got there. Well they couldn't and wouldn't without probable cause that a major crime occurred.

But from what I've determined it appears they conducted a multi-agency search involving various helicopters, heat seeking devices and all terrain searches.

They canvassed the neighborhood and found witnesses. They got the FBI and NCMEC involved two weeks after Karlie went missing. They obtained multiple search warrant for all the electronics of the family and Karlie and boyfriend.

They did polygraph tests of the family and boyfriend.

It is possible they forensically tested MG's car. Which may be a source of the repair rumors.

In an FBI database of self-reporting counties in CA, Mono lists ALL 18 missing kid cases in 2018 in the county as "runaways". Which lends credence to people's concerns about how Mono is treating Karlie's disappearance. But she herself is listed as "missing" on the site.

So it's hard to know what that's about.

Otherwise I have seen nothing to suggest they've done a poor job. Certainly no credible hint of corruption.

It is possible they can't handle the case well. I don't know. But I haven't seen evidence of that yet.

I think Karlie's mom and the community is and are frustrated by the lack of answers, info or an arrest.

kodi, j_in_c, nyvictoria and 12 others like this.
  11. gitana1

Cool Runnings.

marylamby, Traymar, Jim_M and 3 others like this.
  12. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

Who says 'boulders' when they really mean 'rocks?'

13. SJ16321

SJ16321 Well-Known Member

I'm a strong believer in being proper and not damaging the integrity of a case. At the very minimum the sheriff named in the letter should play no further part in the investigation until the complaints have been dealt with by an independent body. I'm presuming there must be some assistant or deputy who could take over for that one case?

There's been an investigation launched here in the UK recently purely because police officers discharged their weapons. Nobody was killed or even seriously injured. I'm sure that's a real pain and many would say it's unnecessary but it's the proper thing to do and it's reassuring as it tries to show that nobody is above the law (even the police) and they must be able to justify their actions.

It may well be that any investigation would show that the sheriff has done a superb job and followed the rulebook to the letter. However that investigation should happen if it's asked for, be carried out by an independent body and at least the named officer should play no further part in the case until cleared of the alleged wrongdoing.

Jim_M likes this.
  14. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

You make a good point about the on demand option. It seems odd that the detective had to guess at the time from the tv listings vs Zach or Melissa just confirming the time.

15. gitana1

It's just not the same. There is no internal police investigation or any investigation of the MCSD from
    An outside agency. It's simply a letter

People send letters of complaint regularly to LE entities about how investigations are being conducted. It is simply not feasible to halt an investigation or change who is heading it or review a case due to a letter from a disgruntled citizen.

She's the sheriff. She's the top person. There is no way for her not to be involved unless the case was given to an entirely different agency.

That's not going to happen over a letter.

LF is a distraught mother who has no real idea what's being done in the case. Because they're not revealing to her why they know and what they've determined.

I'm sorry but it's not close to reasonable for an investigation to be undermined- which is what would happen if it was yanked from the agency conducting it, and that's what would have to happen if the sheriff of a smaller department could not longer be part of her own investigation- because a relative of a victim has feelings about it that aren't based on fact.

There's a huge difference between the feelings of a parent of the subject of an investigation and an actual, legitimate investigation of LE conduct due to something questionable that personnel did or didn't do.

That's not happening here.

kodi, j_in_c, nyvictoria and 11 others like this.
  16. gitana1

A histrionic attention seeker maybe.

LadyL, momrids6, nyvictoria and 11 others like this.
  17. Jo in Calif

Jo in Calif Well-Known Member

Karlie Lane Gusé has now been missing for six months. Karlie was last seen on the early morning of Saturday, October 13, 2018, walking from her home in Chalfant, California, on White Mountain Estates Road toward Highway 6. Karlie is a white female, 16 years old, 5’ 07”, 110 pounds, dark blond hair and blue eyes.

This remains an active Missing Person investigation. We have an investigator dedicated to this investigation, and we are continually working the case and following up on leads. The FBI has partnered with us throughout the investigation, and we continue to rely on their expertise.

Mono County Sheriff's Office

18. SJ16321

SJ16321 Well-Known Member

That is one of the major problems that I have, do you not think that's completely outrageous? This is her biological mother not some distant great aunt, keeping her in the dark is completely unacceptable.

Maybe it's not feasible to change the people investigating but surely you must agree there should be an investigation into this complaint? Law enforcement can only operate properly with the trust of the population that it serves, having a way to make complaints about LE is part of maintaining that trust. No complaint should just be dismissed by basically saying "you're just an hysterical mother, do one."

If there's no basis to her complaint then it can be dismissed pretty quickly when it's looked into.

19. gitana1

It's sad but I don't think it's necessarily outrageous. I've been following criminal cases and missing person's investigations for a couple decades. They have a duty to solve the case not to give information to a parent who is all over social media making staments about evidence, etc. That's how justice can be lost.

I also don't think a complaint letter should result in an investigation unless there is something that supports the claims in the complaint.

And that's a catch-22 because the LE agency is often the only one who has info necessary to assessing the merits of the claim.

If it becomes readily apparent that LE is dropping the call, concerned family or friends can resort to self help. Like Elizabeth's Smart's family did.

Otherwise there are far too many complaints by disgruntled loved ones against LE agencies for it to be feasible or reasonable to conduct independent investigations or hand off the case as a possible conflict of interest without concrete evidence of corruption or bias or whatever.

It just isn't logical.

20. gitana1

Well they insist they're continuing to partner with the FBI. Many have denied that saying the FBI was ont allowed to do minimal work on the case, but there's no evidence that they're not working with the FBI.