GUILTY CA - Kenneth Parnell for trying to buy 4yo boy, Berkeley, 2003

blueclouds

Former member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Remember this freak? Parnell who abducted steven stayner years ago. Steven has since died in a motorcycle accident. His brother is a convicted killer. This Parnell tried to buy a little black boy 4 to 6 years old with a "clean bottom". Apparently he used a more graphic term.

How is this sick F*$U* still living? God, it infuriated me years ago to hear he only got 5 years prison for kidnapping Steven.

This is ONE guy I KNOW WILL BURN for an eternity.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/02/stayner.kidnapper.ap/index.html
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040202_2044.html

Stayner testified that Parnell sexually abused him, but charges of child abuse were dismissed in 1981 when a state appeals court said the statute of limitations had expired.

The statute of limitations may have run out if the abuse had been dated to the first day Parnell kidnapped Steven Stayner... but the abuse was ongoing and the S of L couldn't have run out on the later incidents. Maybe the realization that it was 1980, and the laws were not as tough on child molesters as they are now, could account for Parnell spending less time in prison than Stayner spent as his captive away from a family who I'm quite sure had written him off as dead.

All I know is that Steven Stayner never recovered... never adjusted to his life after returning... and died very young at the age of 24. The long absence of Steven, and the subsequent readjustment when he was returned to his family, was a contributing factor in the psychopathology of Steven's older brother Cary who later killed four women.

Steven Stayner, in the short time he had between his captivity, escape, and then tragic death, did an enormous service to missing children everywhere. He gave lectures and took out magazine ads to warn of the failed system and where it needed to be repaired. He reported at least one incident (when he was still seven) when an operator refused to put him through to his parents because he didn't have the right amount of change, even though it was a miracle he had found a phone booth he could use outside of Parnell's presence. If that phone call had been put through he may have only spent days away from his family.

Stayner also talked of informing his princpal that Parnell was not his real father. He was disbelieved.

I've never thought Stayner did not know something was wrong.
He died the night he made alot of money from selling his story, I think.

I don't know why anyone is so surprised at this? Do they think that people in nursing homes change their desires? Did anyone think five years in jail was going to 'cure' him?

The only surprise here, Toth, is that some people didn't realize that this piece of garbage got out after only five years. No justice there.

Did anyone else laugh hysterically at this:
"Defense attorney Deborah Levy painted her client as an aging man who sought to take in an abandoned child. She urged jurors not to presume him guilty because of his past crimes. "

And I personally think Steven killed himself, accidentally or otherwise, because Parnell was out. How do you live with the fact that someone took seven years of your life, got out in only five, and is now out there to do this again? I would think you might think the value society places on people lives (as opposed to their deaths) isn't worth very much, and who cares if you live or die? JMO.

The attorney representing this man is why lawyers have such bad reputations. This woman needs to be slapped right upside her head.

And his older Brother Corey Stayner. Tried using Stevens kidnapping was the reason he killed the 3 in Yosemite and the Ranger. Thank God that defense did not work.

She is defending her client. That is her job. She is not the judge. She is not the jury. She is his mouthpiece.

Why don't they just say the words he used, how much worse is any of this or this creeps past crime's, "clean bottom", I wish they would just give the whole story.

Toth said:
I've never thought Stayner did not know something was wrong.

Don! Have you lost your mind entirely? He was seven years old... in the second grade! Parnell didn't actually sodomize him until a couple of weeks after the abduction. Until then he treated the boy well and provided toys etc. He told Steven his parents had too many children and had given him (Parnell) guardianship. Few seven-year-olds would not believe that story from someone who had treated him well for two weeks before abusing him. And Stayner says he did feel as if something was wrong that first night and he was scared. But even if he had been totally convinced of it... what could he have done about it? He was a four foot, 50lb child.

He died the night he made alot of money from selling his story, I think.

If "alot (watch that Tothy... it should be a lot) of money" is $30,000 dollars, no one should hire experienced attorneys. Ambulance chasers can get you 30 grand. :rolleyes: And I believe it was awhile after Steven was paid, but only a day or two after the mini-series premiered on television.

I don't know why anyone is so surprised at this? Do they think that people in nursing homes change their desires? Did anyone think five years in jail was going to 'cure' him?

Of course not. Parnell's sentence of 8 years (of which he served in lock-up only five) was a slap in face for any prosecuter. So you can imagine what it was for the parents of these victims.

And I personally think Steven killed himself, accidentally or otherwise, because Parnell was out. How do you live with the fact that someone took seven years of your life, got out in only five, and is now out there to do this again? I would think you might think the value society places on people lives (as opposed to their deaths) isn't worth very much, and who cares if you live or die? JMO.

Not a chance. The only thing that can be viewed as self destructive about the 24-year-old Steven was that he failed to wear a helmet, which was common to about 46% of the motorcycle population in California at the time. The accident was absolutely unavoidable according to witnesses who had no idea Stayner was the cyclist. This fact contributed to the decision of the truck driver to run.

I can not understand a seven year old not knowing he had been kidnapped.
Two years old sure, Three years old, sure... but surely by seven!!

Toth said:
I can not understand a seven year old not knowing he had been kidnapped.
Two years old sure, Three years old, sure... but surely by seven!!

Well then, I guess you best start looking into what a child CAN KNOW and what A CHILD CANNOT KNOW at the age of 7 ! Are you saying this child knew what was happening to him and said...hey, this is cool !
:mad: :banghead:

He probably knew it was wrong, kids aren't stupid. He was probably scared to make any attempt at freeing himself and who knows what kid of mindf**** the guy did to him. I don't question the actions of children when it comes to things like this. I can tell you that 7 or 70... forcible sodomy isn't a picnic and I doubt he stayed for the toys...

They should give the guy 6 months in general pop and see if he lasts a few hours. Was he in protective custody for those 5 yrs? He'd have to be, you know, or he would already be dead...

In today's world, thanks to John Walsh and high profile media of abducted children, most seven-year-olds are aware that a stranger who makes an attempt to get a child in a car is up to "no good". But back in 1974, in that small town in California, children were not routinely taught that strangers would do or say anything to lure kids into cars... and not taught that the intent was never good. Many children of that era accepted rides with people they merely recognized, whether they actually knew the person or not.

Even with this break down in preparedness, Steven Stayner suspected that his parents had not wanted to give him up. That is why he attempted to phone home at 7 years of age, and why he told his school principle he had been kidnapped and was not the son of Parnell (as Parnell claimed) when Steven was 12 years old. Once the principle refused to believe the story, where did Steven have to seek refuge?

any cop, other teachers, etc.
I think he was weak and so was his brother.
Thats why the brother wanted to kill females; its the only way he can assert any sort of 'strength'.
Perhaps I should be more tolerant of seven year olds, but I am not.

Toth said:
any cop, other teachers, etc.
I think he was weak ........!
He was a CHILD for God's sake! A child in 1974 would do anything an adult told him to. Did you see Mystic River, Toth? Watch it and pay attention to the beginning. Heck, when I was a kid I was afraid of adults and would do anything they said!

piper1 said:
He was a CHILD for God's sake! A child in 1974 would do anything an adult told him to. Did you see Mystic River, Toth? Watch it and pay attention to the beginning. Heck, when I was a kid I was afraid of adults and would do anything they said!

Toth loves controversy Piper. Don't feed him unless you want a migraine. Toth, :slap: sometimes your points of view leave people thinking it's children's & victims faults' that they are in the position they find themselves in. Hopefully you will never know what it feels like to be powerless in these situations. :waitasec: :snooty:

I agree the woman killer was weak... but not the stayner man as a child.

I was wondering if there was anything strange going on in the family for this to have happened to Steven and then to have the other son become a killer. Anyone know any history on the family?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back