Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. So that official website says "Now classified as abduction."
Per poster @Curiousobserver, it is, but as of an email sent out this morning, it is only because her car has not been located. Not sure if anything has changed since this morning to make it more likely.

Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Angela Musallam said. It is “being investigated as an abduction ONLY because we have not been able to locate her vehicle,” Musallam said in an emailed response Monday morning.

Last edited:
Per poster @Curiousobserver, it is, but as of an email sent out this morning, it is only because her car has not been located. Not sure if anything has changed since this morning to make it more likely.

Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Angela Musallam said. It is “being investigated as an abduction ONLY because we have not been able to locate her vehicle,” Musallam said in an emailed response Monday morning.

ETA: A fellow sleuther just informed me that the friend was driving home, not Kiely. Sorry!

That’s just such an odd reason to me. Didn’t she call her friend while she was driving home? Which would indicate that she herself was driving and (at least in that moment) not in distress? I suppose there could’ve been someone in the car with her and things went wrong, or someone abducted her after that…?

JMO

Last edited:

That's just bizarre, to me, given the terrain, the bodies of water, etc.

That’s just such an odd reason to me. Didn’t she call her friend while she was driving home? Which would indicate that she herself was driving and (at least in that moment) not in distress? I suppose there could’ve been someone in the car with her and things went wrong, or someone abducted her after that…?

JMO
I believe the quote meant the phone call occurred while she (the friend) was on her way home, not while Kiely was driving home.

A friend of missing teen Kiely Rodni has spoken about the pair’s final phone call before her friend vanished from a campground party in California.

Samantha Smith, 18, tells The Independentshe was the last person to speak with 16-year-old Kiely after midnight on Saturday.

“At 12.36am she called me … and this is the last call anybody had with her. We said ‘love you, good night. Get home safe,’ and that’s the last thing we heard of her,” Samantha said on Monday.

Kiely was at a party with more than 100 teenagers and young adults at the Prosser Family Campground in Truckee, the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said. Because her vehicle, a silver 2013 Honda CRV, is missing, authorities are treating the incident as a possible abduction.

A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office told The Independent on Monday that the department could not confirm whether Samantha was the last person to speak Kiely, but said that shortly after midnight her phone was turned off.

Samantha said that she arrived at the bonfire party around 9pm on Friday and Kiely got there about an hour later.

“We have been close friends since before, so we ended up meeting up with each other, sort of screaming to each other ‘Hi!’ For the rest of the party we pretty much stuck to each other,” Samantha told The Independent.

But as the gathering grew bigger, the teenagers went separate ways while continuing to see each other sporadically throughout the party.

“I knew it was a big party but it was supposed to be just the community …The party started to grow past the [number] of people that were supposed to be there,” Samantha said.

“There were college kids and people from the Bay area coming and I got a bad feeling about it but didn’t really think much of it.”

Samantha said that around 11pm, they went to Kiely’s car to charge their phones and arranged for Kiely to give her a ride home. However, she changed her mind later when she saw that Kiely was clearly intoxicated, Samantha said.

“Right now we believe that it is an abduction case ... she was in no state to drive and she wouldn’t have made it far or would have crashed,” Samantha said.

The teenagers said goodbye to each other around 12.25am but Kiely called Samantha while she was riding home with a friend. That was the last known call Kiely made, Samantha claimed.

Kiely was supposed to meet friends on Saturday morning to go on a hike but did not show up. Police have since launched search efforts on the ground and in the air in hopes of locating the teen.

More at link...
Thanks for the key highlights...I put together a brief timeline of events that night...it may not directly correlate or impact what happened, but does give some perspective.

9pm: Samantha says she arrives at party, noting Kiely arrived about an hour later.

10pm: Kiely arrives at party (per Samantha).

11pm: Samantha and Kiely meet in Kiely's car to charge phones and discuss ride home. There's no mention of camping / staying the night as previously mentioned in other reports. Did that change because more people had arrived than anticipated?

11pm - 12:25am: Sometime during this time period, Samantha observes Kiely intoxicated and decides to find another ride home. Kiely appears fine / or at least Samantha isn't concerned @ 11pm, so her intoxication level greatly increases in the next hour.

12:25am: Kiely and Samantha say good-bye

12:36am: Kiely calls Samantha...appears to be last known phone call.

Thanks for the key highlights...I put together a brief timeline of events that night...it may not directly correlate or impact what happened, but does give some perspective.

9pm: Samantha says she arrives at party, noting Kiely arrived about an hour later.

10pm: Kiely arrives at party (per Samantha).

11pm: Samantha and Kiely meet in Kiely's car to charge phones and discuss ride home. There's no mention of camping / staying the night as previously mentioned in other reports. Did that change because more people had arrived than anticipated?

11pm - 12:25am: Sometime during this time period, Samantha observes Kiely intoxicated and decides to find another ride home. Kiely appears fine / or at least Samantha isn't concerned @ 11pm, so her intoxication level greatly increases in the next hour.

12:25am: Kiely and Samantha say good-bye

12:36am: Kiely calls Samantha...appears to be last known phone call.
Kiely could still have been planning on staying at the campsite. Just because it wasn't mentioned in the article doesn't mean it wasn't talked about. Perhaps she was planning on giving Samantha a lift home then going back to the party. The beauty of MSM editing.

From your link...

“I knew it was a big party but it was supposed to be just the community …The party started to grow past the [number] of people that were supposed to be there,” Samantha said.

“There were college kids and people from the Bay area coming and I got a bad feeling about it but didn’t really think much of it.”

I am guessing that when she says people from the Bay area came, surely she must have been talking about some area around Lake Tahoe? And how did all of these college kids end up there? Was the party largely promoted, or did knowledge of it spread by word-of mouth? Social media? Why would college kids want to be at a party full of high school kids and teens? That just seems like trouble waiting to happen, imo.

ETA...I also understood her comment about the phone call to mean that Kiely called Samantha while Samantha was riding home with someone.
californians universally calla SF bay area "the bay area" there is no other bay area referred like that in cali.

If this party with juveniles also had "young adults," I'm guessing there were a number of fake IDs floating around. It's illegal in California to drink or purchase alcohol until the age of 21, and IMO it would more likely be 18-year olds at this party rather than someone in their 20s. So if there was drinking at the party, someone had a fake ID, and perhaps she had one as well if she was able to get a tattoo while underage.

I'm concerned about her friend saying Kiely was planning to stay overnight. As a parent I would have a heart attack if my kid was planning to stay out overnight without my knowledge, particularly with no cell service. Maybe she told her mom; at this stage we don't know.

Hoping she is alive and well and safe, but this is very scary.
Plenty of room to sleep in that car. Also, kids like to sleep under the stars, especially if they've never done it before. So, there's room for a responsible overnight stay here, IMO.

A friend of hers did report to LE that Kiely was planning to stay there overnight, and as it is a remote campground, surely that was the whole point in going there...to camp out?

Plus, I'm sure the people who live in that area are used to having little to no cell service in places. It's just part of living somewhere rural, and isn't alarming to them. It's just how it is.

MOO.
I'm wondering if the "party" wasn't an annual thing the area young people would do, a kind of informal tradition, and this is a lot more benign (as far as parties go) than some are thinking.

This article says she texted her parents about 12:15am that she was heading home.( I’m guessing that meant she was getting ready to head home not that she was driving at the time.). Also that no one saw her leave.
The most concerning thing to me is that it says her phone had been turned off after it was last pinging at the party.

I've been following.....heartbreaking case.

Still leaning to an accident....in water or otherwise.

In the pitch black darkness, and in her state, my hope is that she took a wrong turn somewhere, got lost, got stuck, went off an embankment....and is still alive.

I live less than 1/2 mile from the site of the party. I’ve lived in this neighborhood for 20 years and have run or mountain biked thru the trails and where the kids were partying hundreds it not 1000s of times. I just got back from a run and there were a ton of official Orange Search and Rescue teams out there, helicopters over head and tons of other people on the shores of Prosser either on foot, 4x4s or on the water on paddle boards. Where the party was, is fairly shallow and the water level is rapidly decreasing day by day. I run by this spot 4x week.

My own daughters are just a couple years older and went to these parties all the time in the summer, especially during Covid. Although their parties were 30max kids. They would circle the cars up, turn on headlights, play music and hang… booze and pot were the norm. Never any fires. They would all sleep in their cars… my daughters had a beat up Subie Outback and then come home in the AM.

Anyhow, the immediate terrain around is definitely being gone over with a fine toothed comb. I’ll probably grab my Mtn bike a cruise around on some the less obvious terrain later today when it gets cooler.

Either way, this hits way too close to home…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong