Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO:

With 4 campuses attached to that Charter school and around 100 attendees at the party, it would be pretty easy for some creep to be lurking around. Don’t recognize them? Kids would assume they’d attended another campus or graduated the year prior or whatever. All they would have to do is wait to find an upset or inebriated girl to take advantage of. I’m not sure what her friend meant when she said she wasn’t in the right mindset (paraphrasing) to be driving but hopefully she wasn’t an easy target.

As for the phone out of service. I assume they could have taken the SIM card out with ease. Pretty sure it wouldn’t have service or be pinging.

I hope they find her safe.
These are kids from several schools - not all the kids knew each other. Different schools have sent out messages to the parents for information.

Leaving the campground by car, turning one direction leads you to Hwy 89 and back to the family lodge, while turning the other direction directs you down onto the boat launch ramp. A car moving at a decent speed could easily enter that water and float a ways into the lake before sinking. The color of the car would make it difficult to spot underwater from the air by helicopter or boat. Unless they have put divers or used sonar on that lake, it’s still a possibility.

IMO, error by a young impaired driver is far more likely than a random abduction in the middle of the night in a remote area.
That's exactly what I think happened. They need to get divers in that lake.

No reputable tattoo artist would do it in CA, but they are right on the border of Nevada. With parental consent you can be 14 to get a tattoo in NV. Or you can go to an unlicensed sketchy person in CA.

Maybe I'm lost in translation but I think the law doesn't say that getting or having a tattoo under the age of 18 is a crime. What's forbidden (in California) is to perform a tattoo on a person under the age of 18.

But anyways it doesn't seem relevant to this case.

If this party with juveniles also had "young adults," I'm guessing there were a number of fake IDs floating around. It's illegal in California to drink or purchase alcohol until the age of 21, and IMO it would more likely be 18-year olds at this party rather than someone in their 20s. So if there was drinking at the party, someone had a fake ID, and perhaps she had one as well if she was able to get a tattoo while underage.

I'm concerned about her friend saying Kiely was planning to stay overnight. As a parent I would have a heart attack if my kid was planning to stay out overnight without my knowledge, particularly with no cell service. Maybe she told her mom; at this stage we don't know.

Hoping she is alive and well and safe, but this is very scary.

I think her friend has an interesting theory.

Rodni's friend, Sami Smith, was with her most of the night. She said that Rodni was planning to spend the night at the campground.

"I know that she wasn't in the right mindset or state to drive. And if she were to have driven, she wouldn't have made it far," Smith said. "So my concern is that somebody might have offered to drive her home and then didn't take her home."

Search underway for 16-year-old girl last seen at Truckee party

If Kiely was planning on spending the night at the campground (camping gear?, partying through the night?, what was the arrangement) and let's say she wasn't feeling well and wanted to go home instead....why didn't she tell her friend she was leaving? At what time did her friend saw her or spoke to her the last time?

Wouldn't it be far more logical Kiely would want to "sleep it off" right there and then (in a tent, in her car?) instead of confronting her parents in the mids of the night in "the state she was"? No need to leave.

Her friend, who was basically paired with her most of the night, seemed to be implying that Kiely was very impaired later in the evening, and fears that someone may have offered her a ride home and didn't take her home. I would assume that at 16 years of age, Kiely very likely was among the younger of the people at the party, and it is possible that she met and trusted the wrong person, and allowed herself to be driven by someone with nefarious intentions, but the car still has to be accounted for. I think it is more likely that she attempted to drive home, and had a horrible accident somewhere between the campground and her home, and just has not been found yet. It is possible that she also was disoriented and left in another direction altogether, with the same tragic results, perhaps ending up in water. Inexperience and impairment can often have tragic consequences for young drivers. i do hope that any of the others at the party that may have any information will come forward, and hope that she will be found soon, and be found alive. JMO

ETA...Have there been any searches yet by LE search and rescue team?

Last edited:
I think her friend has an interesting theory.

Rodni's friend, Sami Smith, was with her most of the night. She said that Rodni was planning to spend the night at the campground.

"I know that she wasn't in the right mindset or state to drive. And if she were to have driven, she wouldn't have made it far," Smith said. "So my concern is that somebody might have offered to drive her home and then didn't take her home."

Search underway for 16-year-old girl last seen at Truckee party
Bringing this forward as it’s (so far, as best as I can tell) part of a very small bit of first-hand info we have in this case.

I do think her friend has a good point, and while following this idea this may lead to nothing it is good to explore, especially when there is so little to go on at this point.
Further, this quote from her friend gives some potential explanation behind the abduction theory now being circulated by MSM, as told to them by a spokesperson for the sheriff’s office.

ETA- I realize what I said could be misconstrued- I don’t mean to imply that the friend’s quote is the direct reasoning for why LE is treating it as an abduction; I’m moreso thinking that this type of witness info could lead investigators down the path to explore abduction as a potential reason for disappearance.

I really would like to see a recorded statement from her friend that was with her at the party, and perhaps see her asked a couple key questions since the media reporting is kind of all over the place.

Some articles have her with the tone "She wouldn't have tried to go home" and some have the tone "I think she was abducted while trying to go home". Which is it and why exactly? Makes a big difference

Do kids in those kind of party situations take pictures on their phones to post on social media? I wonder if anyone is asking the party goes that question. Maybe they could pick up someone in the background that doesn't belong there. MOO MOO MOO

Do kids in those kind of party situations take pictures on their phones to post on social media? I wonder if anyone is asking the party goes that question. Maybe they could pick up someone in the background that doesn't belong there. MOO MOO MOO
I did see a quote in an article that LE asked nearby home/property owners to check doorbell cams, and also asked partygoers to check their pictures and videos from that night for anything that could lead to clues.

I'm concerned about her friend saying Kiely was planning to stay overnight. As a parent I would have a heart attack if my kid was planning to stay out overnight without my knowledge, particularly with no cell service.
A friend of hers did report to LE that Kiely was planning to stay there overnight, and as it is a remote campground, surely that was the whole point in going there...to camp out?

Plus, I'm sure the people who live in that area are used to having little to no cell service in places. It's just part of living somewhere rural, and isn't alarming to them. It's just how it is.

MOO.

I took her friend's comment about not being in the right state of mind to mean she was inebriated and not safe to drive. I wonder if there was any discussion or disagreement then about her driving home? Did someone nearby see her stumbling toward her car, for instance, and offer to drive her instead? It could have been another party goer that she did or did not know.

When the friend says she was planning to stay the night, I wonder if that means just sleeping in her car or if they had a set up with tents, sleeping bags, etc. How many other teens spent the night vs leaving and going home? Was the party kind of winding down/breaking apart when Kiely left or still in full swing?

I also am not convinced she was abducted; I think there's a good chance that if she drove home, especially inebriated, she may have had a tragic accident and not been found yet. Very sad either way and I hope she is found and her family can get closure, hopefully with a happy ending, but either way.

I took her friend's comment about not being in the right state of mind to mean she was inebriated and not safe to drive. I wonder if there was any discussion or disagreement then about her driving home? Did someone nearby see her stumbling toward her car, for instance, and offer to drive her instead? It could have been another party goer that she did or did not know.

When the friend says she was planning to stay the night, I wonder if that means just sleeping in her car or if they had a set up with tents, sleeping bags, etc. How many other teens spent the night vs leaving and going home? Was the party kind of winding down/breaking apart when Kiely left or still in full swing?

I also am not convinced she was abducted; I think there's a good chance that if she drove home, especially inebriated, she may have had a tragic accident and not been found yet. Very sad either way and I hope she is found and her family can get closure, hopefully with a happy ending, but either way.
The friend stated that Kiely was planning to stay the night, but was that the plan all along, or did she decide that after she had been partying for a while and realized she was too impaired to drive? Did her parents know that she planned to spend the night, or were they expecting her home, or had she told them she was going to spend the night with a friend? Did her parents even know of the party beforehand, and did they know she planned to go? When did her parents first consider her missing?

Yes, the cell phone being down is the scary thing. By 'down' they must mean unanswerable/straight to voice mail? Because even if her battery was dead and someone phoned, it would go to voicemail, right?

Wondering if this would indicate she went into water. The campground was at a huge lake, so it's possible. It was dark, remote, rural. Anyone could take a wrong turn or two, drive into it accidentally while sober.....even more chance if intoxicated

MOO.
I haven't read that LE has sent divers into the lake. Has anyone read anything about that? I really wish they would.

The friend stated that Kiely was planning to stay the night, but was that the plan all along, or did she decide that after she had been partying for a while and realized she was too impaired to drive? Did her parents know that she planned to spend the night, or were they expecting her home, or had she told them she was going to spend the night with a friend? Did her parents even know of the party beforehand, and did they know she planned to go? When did her parents first consider her missing?
Can’t seem to find the answers to the questions you ask in any articles I’ve seen. The police are apparently treating this as an abduction due to the missing car and phone out of service, but I agree with other posters who believe the lake should be dragged and other areas checked.

I recall a case years ago of a missing teen male who after a long search was found dead in his car in the woods (he had missed a curve and wound up in the woods, crashed).

I really hope this ends differently than the Chelsea Bruck situation. I know Chelsea didn’t have her car with her, but similar circumstances….large party, drinking, someone offered her a ride….

I know we don’t have solid evidence that Kiely was drinking or was offered a ride, there’s just some similarities that scare me. I also hope they utilize divers soon. Hoping beyond hope that somehow someway she is ok.

All JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member