Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The north edge of Prosser Lake Reservoir area is about 8 miles as the crow flies from the I-80 corridor and there are no big mountains or other landscape features in the way.

I would expect very good cell service unless the party was much farther north from there.
Yes, service at Prosser lake is generally strong. It is farther North and West that it is spotty. I'm not sure if she lives at the Lodge area that her parents operate, but I would think signal would be good the entire way from Prosser to the Lodge.

A friend of missing teen Kiely Rodni has spoken about the pair’s final phone call before her friend vanished from a campground party in California.

Samantha Smith, 18, tells The Independentshe was the last person to speak with 16-year-old Kiely after midnight on Saturday.

“At 12.36am she called me … and this is the last call anybody had with her. We said ‘love you, good night. Get home safe,’ and that’s the last thing we heard of her,” Samantha said on Monday.

Kiely was at a party with more than 100 teenagers and young adults at the Prosser Family Campground in Truckee, the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said. Because her vehicle, a silver 2013 Honda CRV, is missing, authorities are treating the incident as a possible abduction.

A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office told The Independent on Monday that the department could not confirm whether Samantha was the last person to speak Kiely, but said that shortly after midnight her phone was turned off.

Samantha said that she arrived at the bonfire party around 9pm on Friday and Kiely got there about an hour later.

“We have been close friends since before, so we ended up meeting up with each other, sort of screaming to each other ‘Hi!’ For the rest of the party we pretty much stuck to each other,” Samantha told The Independent.

But as the gathering grew bigger, the teenagers went separate ways while continuing to see each other sporadically throughout the party.

“I knew it was a big party but it was supposed to be just the community …The party started to grow past the [number] of people that were supposed to be there,” Samantha said.

“There were college kids and people from the Bay area coming and I got a bad feeling about it but didn’t really think much of it.”

Samantha said that around 11pm, they went to Kiely’s car to charge their phones and arranged for Kiely to give her a ride home. However, she changed her mind later when she saw that Kiely was clearly intoxicated, Samantha said.

“Right now we believe that it is an abduction case ... she was in no state to drive and she wouldn’t have made it far or would have crashed,” Samantha said.

The teenagers said goodbye to each other around 12.25am but Kiely called Samantha while she was riding home with a friend. That was the last known call Kiely made, Samantha claimed.

Kiely was supposed to meet friends on Saturday morning to go on a hike but did not show up. Police have since launched search efforts on the ground and in the air in hopes of locating the teen.

More at link...

Yes, service at Prosser lake is generally strong. It is farther North and West that it is spotty. I'm not sure if she lives at the Lodge area that her parents operate, but I would think signal would be good the entire way from Prosser to the Lodge.

A friend of missing teen Kiely Rodni has spoken about the pair’s final phone call before her friend vanished from a campground party in California.

Samantha Smith, 18, tells The Independentshe was the last person to speak with 16-year-old Kiely after midnight on Saturday.

“At 12.36am she called me … and this is the last call anybody had with her. We said ‘love you, good night. Get home safe,’ and that’s the last thing we heard of her,” Samantha said on Monday.

Kiely was at a party with more than 100 teenagers and young adults at the Prosser Family Campground in Truckee, the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said. Because her vehicle, a silver 2013 Honda CRV, is missing, authorities are treating the incident as a possible abduction.

A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office told The Independent on Monday that the department could not confirm whether Samantha was the last person to speak Kiely, but said that shortly after midnight her phone was turned off.

Samantha said that she arrived at the bonfire party around 9pm on Friday and Kiely got there about an hour later.

“We have been close friends since before, so we ended up meeting up with each other, sort of screaming to each other ‘Hi!’ For the rest of the party we pretty much stuck to each other,” Samantha told The Independent.

But as the gathering grew bigger, the teenagers went separate ways while continuing to see each other sporadically throughout the party.

“I knew it was a big party but it was supposed to be just the community …The party started to grow past the [number] of people that were supposed to be there,” Samantha said.

“There were college kids and people from the Bay area coming and I got a bad feeling about it but didn’t really think much of it.”

Samantha said that around 11pm, they went to Kiely’s car to charge their phones and arranged for Kiely to give her a ride home. However, she changed her mind later when she saw that Kiely was clearly intoxicated, Samantha said.

“Right now we believe that it is an abduction case ... she was in no state to drive and she wouldn’t have made it far or would have crashed,” Samantha said.

The teenagers said goodbye to each other around 12.25am but Kiely called Samantha while she was riding home with a friend. That was the last known call Kiely made, Samantha claimed.

Kiely was supposed to meet friends on Saturday morning to go on a hike but did not show up. Police have since launched search efforts on the ground and in the air in hopes of locating the teen.

More at link...

So the party went from a local high-school party to a larger party with unknown people arriving that were older and originated outside the local Truckee area.

I don't like the sound of this one bit.

BBM- Probably hard to know, but does this mean Kiely called Samantha while KIELY was riding home with a friend, or while SAMANTHA was riding home with a friend? The more I read, I'm inclined to believe Samantha meant she (Samantha) was riding home with a friend, especially since she mentioned that prior to that she was going to ride home with Kiely but determined Kiely was too intoxicated to drive.

I wonder if Kiely said anything else like where she was at the time of this call? Or wouldn't background noise indicate if she was still at the party at that point?

BBM- Probably hard to know, but does this mean Kiely called Samantha while KIELY was riding home with a friend, or while SAMANTHA was riding home with a friend? The more I read, I'm inclined to believe Samantha meant she (Samantha) was riding home with a friend, especially since she mentioned that prior to that she was going to ride home with Kiely but determined Kiely was too intoxicated to drive.

I wonder if Kiely said anything else like where she was at the time of this call? Or wouldn't background noise indicate if she was still at the party at that point?
I definitely take this to mean that Samantha was riding home with a friend. She said previously that Kiely was going to give her a ride home, but Samantha changed her mind when she saw her condition.

Law enforcement would have a good idea of at least the general location where Kiely was when she called Samantha, based on cell tower data.

More at link...
From your link...

I am guessing that when she says people from the Bay area came, surely she must have been talking about some area around Lake Tahoe? And how did all of these college kids end up there? Was the party largely promoted, or did knowledge of it spread by word-of mouth? Social media? Why would college kids want to be at a party full of high school kids and teens? That just seems like trouble waiting to happen, imo.

ETA...I also understood her comment about the phone call to mean that Kiely called Samantha while Samantha was riding home with someone.

Last edited:
So the party went from a local high-school party to a larger party with unknown people arriving that were older and originated outside the local Truckee area.

I don't like the sound of this one bit.
Me neither, but until I hear law enforcement say they have scoured every inch of water, find the vehicle somewhere, or say they have actual evidence of an abduction, I'm leaning heavily towards some sort of accident.

Me neither, but until I hear law enforcement say they have scoured every inch of water, find the vehicle somewhere, or say they have actual evidence of an abduction, I'm leaning heavily towards some sort of accident.
I agree. Looking at the satellite views of that area, there are just so many roads that she could have potentially driven down, thinking she was headed in the right direction but got completely lost.

As am I, but I do worry that if older people started showing up, the type and quantity of alcohol, as well as the level and availability of drugs may have risen considerably, which could have contributed to her having an accident. JMO

I am guessing that when she says people from the Bay area came, surely she must have been talking about some area around Lake Tahoe? And how did all of these college kids end up there? Was the party largely promoted, or did knowledge of it spread by word-of mouth? Social media? Why would college kids want to be at a party full of high school kids and teens? That just seems like trouble waiting to happen, imo.
Not sure about promoted but I do know LE has said since the beginning that it was a large party with teenagers "and young adults" so it seems like they've known (LE) that it wasn't just high schoolers who were out there partying. As far as why college kids were there- I wonder if this would be because many are still home for the summer and since this has been described in MSM as being a farewell party for seniors who graduated, I could see how college kids originally from the area may come to the party to see old friends who were younger. Just my opinion, thinking back to these kinds of gatherings from when I was in school.

From your link...

ETA...I also understood her comment about the phone call to mean that Kiely called Samantha while Samantha was riding home with someone.

She would be referring to the San Francisco Bay area. The Truckee Tahoe area is a very popular getaway for people living in those areas. It's also become an increasing problem the last few years with people coming from the Bay area to party in the mountains, leaving trash and causing issues. (I grew up in the area and now live about two hours from Truckee). It would not shock me if she fell victim to someone willing to take advantage of a drunk teenager. But like other posters have said, they're also plenty of areas where she could have crashed and just not been found yet.

Not sure about promoted but I do know LE has said since the beginning that it was a large party with teenagers "and young adults" so it seems like they've known (LE) that it wasn't just high schoolers who were out there partying. As far as why college kids were there- I wonder if this would be because many are still home for the summer and since this has been described in MSM as being a farewell party for seniors who graduated, I could see how college kids originally from the area may come to the party to see old friends who were younger. Just my opinion, thinking back to these kinds of gatherings from when I was in school.
I see your point, and thinking about it, with her having graduated early, and only being 16, in many ways, she may have been almost more out of place there than college kids.

It is a crime to get a tattoo in CA if under age of 18yo....

In fact, according to Penal Code 653 PC, it is a crime to “ink” or administer a tattoo to a minor under the age of 18.

A violation of this code section is charged as a misdemeanor. The crime is punishable by:

• custody in the county jail for not more than six months; and/or,
  • a maximum fine of $1,000.

How old do you have to be to get a tattoo in California?
My little cousin who is 17 got her first tattoo the week before last in CA. They never even ID'd her. Just throwing that out there. Unsure what a tattoo has to do with anything but I've only been skimming the thread to catch up.

From your link...

I would read this as there were college-aged people arriving to the party who lived in the San Francisco Bay area but were in the Truckee-Tahoe area for the weekend and heard about the party on social media.

I'm more familiar with the South Lake Tahoe goings-on and that younger weekend crowd is known to be into more substances than just alcohol and marijuana.

She could have gone over the embankment on one of those remote roads. It might take years to find something like that. People can drive by and never see the car.
that is my first thought. shes missing w her car in the mountains. unless they have uncovered other info that she was kidnapped.. another thought was accidental OD and they placed her in her car and rolled her down a hill. i hope none of these are the outcome :(

I graduated HS almost 20 years ago but I imagine it's still pretty common for random people to show up at parties. Teenagers and some even in their mid 20's were probably there. Word of mouth is powerful. Especially when it's a location that is remote like that. Less likely to be broken up by LE. If she's an outgoing person and with the help of alcohol, I imagine she made some new "friends" that night. Friends she thought she could trust. Too much sleeze and creep in this world. Abduction or accident...neither outcome is good. Sending positive vibes to all of her family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member