Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
This quote from her mom kind of firms up the timeline and whether or not she was planning to camp out or go home.

“"The last text I got from her was at 11:30 that night saying that she was going to be leaving the party at 12:15 AM and coming straight home. I asked her to wake me up when she got home, like is always the case, and she said, 'Ok mama, I love you.' And then she never came home, and I woke up at 8 o'clock in the morning," Rodni-Nieman continued.
That could be right. It ties in with her friend saying she (Sami) left the party around 12.30. If she had been planning on giving her a lift, the timing fits.

There is one paved road in and out of this area and no other dirt roads to get out easily... especially with just a Honda CRV. Once you get on 89... and if she were to turn north, then the dirt roads out there are endless. I've been out there exploring a ton on my dual sport.... beautiful remote areas. Tonight I was planning on hit mostly the area confined by the reservoir

That is a great area. I love the Sierra Valley region. Love to go birding there. Saw more than 50 hawks there one winter day
And yes, there are many flat dirt roads out there. It would be fairly easy to get disoriented in the dark driving only with headlights. She could have driven off a way from the reservoir and become lost or damaged her vehicle.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there is something that is not being released publicly to involve the FBI so quickly & LE leaning towards abduction, especially with her car also being missing. If she was abducted, how did the abductor get to the party? Who was missing a friend when they left? Were any cars left in the field? First guess for me in a rugged area like that, is going to be some type of car accident. She's also likely got less than a year of driving experience, at least at night, on her own. And if she was buzzed, even more likely for a wrong turn somewhere.

I wonder if something specific happened at that party that the kids are talking to LE about, or someone that was "off" or some type of incident.

moo
Good questions, and I’m wondering the same.

The abductor took her in her car? Who was driving? Where is his vehicle?

If abduction is being considered so strongly , is there additional information or statements that support it which aren’t being told to the media?

A friend of missing teen Kiely Rodni has spoken about the pair’s final phone call before her friend vanished from a campground party in California.

Samantha Smith, 18, tells The Independentshe was the last person to speak with 16-year-old Kiely after midnight on Saturday.

“At 12.36am she called me … and this is the last call anybody had with her. We said ‘love you, good night. Get home safe,’ and that’s the last thing we heard of her,” Samantha said on Monday.

Kiely was at a party with more than 100 teenagers and young adults at the Prosser Family Campground in Truckee, the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said. Because her vehicle, a silver 2013 Honda CRV, is missing, authorities are treating the incident as a possible abduction.

A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office told The Independent on Monday that the department could not confirm whether Samantha was the last person to speak Kiely, but said that shortly after midnight her phone was turned off.

Samantha said that she arrived at the bonfire party around 9pm on Friday and Kiely got there about an hour later.

“We have been close friends since before, so we ended up meeting up with each other, sort of screaming to each other ‘Hi!’ For the rest of the party we pretty much stuck to each other,” Samantha told The Independent.

But as the gathering grew bigger, the teenagers went separate ways while continuing to see each other sporadically throughout the party.

“I knew it was a big party but it was supposed to be just the community …The party started to grow past the [number] of people that were supposed to be there,” Samantha said.

“There were college kids and people from the Bay area coming and I got a bad feeling about it but didn’t really think much of it.”

Samantha said that around 11pm, they went to Kiely’s car to charge their phones and arranged for Kiely to give her a ride home. However, she changed her mind later when she saw that Kiely was clearly intoxicated, Samantha said.

“Right now we believe that it is an abduction case ... she was in no state to drive and she wouldn’t have made it far or would have crashed,” Samantha said.

The teenagers said goodbye to each other around 12.25am but Kiely called Samantha while she was riding home with a friend. That was the last known call Kiely made, Samantha claimed.

Kiely was supposed to meet friends on Saturday morning to go on a hike but did not show up. Police have since launched search efforts on the ground and in the air in hopes of locating the teen.

More at link...

Does this mean Kiely called Samantha when K was riding home with a friend,or S was riding home with her friend when she got the call?

Does this mean Kiely called Samantha when K was riding home with a friend,or S was riding home with her friend when she got the call?
It sounds like S had originally told K at around 11:00 p.m. that she would need a ride home or would ride home with K, but then at some point between 11:00 p.m. and 12:25 a.m. S told K she no longer needed a ride. But K called S at 12:36 a.m. (K was still at the party, while S was already on her way home with someone else) about giving S a ride (maybe she forgot, misunderstood, etc.) and S reminded her she didn't need a ride. It seems as if right after that call or shortly after, K's phone was turned off.

Kiely has graduated early from HS.

Rodni is a recent graduate of Forest Charter School in Truckee.

The distance from the party's location to Kiely's home is about 12 miles.

Rodni’s family runs The Lost Trail Lodge, which is a small hotel located on the property on which they live, around 12 miles away from the Prosser Family Campground where police believe she was abducted.

I would think she would know this area like the back of her hand!

That is a great area. I love the Sierra Valley region. Love to go birding there. Saw more than 50 hawks there one winter day
And yes, there are many flat dirt roads out there. It would be fairly easy to get disoriented in the dark driving only with headlights. She could have driven off a way from the reservoir and become lost or damaged her vehicle.
A couple of weeks ago I spent a long weekend camping in Webber Lake. Saw lots of Osprey, bald headed eagles and a few otters while I was paddle boarding at 6:30am. This area has been wonderful to live in and raise a family. My daughters go back East for college in a couple of weeks... they are already missing Truckee.

YES! Last summer my younger daughter, 18 at the time got a flat with a friend in the middle of the night about 4 miles north of Prosser on a very remote dirt road. No cell or anything. The dust was so deep, they had trouble jacking up the car because the dirt road was too soft. Fortunately they found rocks to put in the dirt ruts and jack up the car. The reason I share this is because Truckee kids are resourceful and figure stuff out. Of course she and her friend came home at 3am completely stressed out. Ate a whole 1/2 gallon of ice cream to recover.

Anyhow, I do have some S&R experience (mostly winter).... so once I get done with work, I'll see if I can help

There is one paved road in and out of this area and no other dirt roads to get out easily... especially with just a Honda CRV. Once you get on 89... and if she were to turn north, then the dirt roads out there are endless. I've been out there exploring a ton on my dual sport.... beautiful remote areas. Tonight I was planning on hit mostly the area confined by the reservoir
Thanks so much for your local insight. Can you tell us if, on this screenshot from Google Maps, are all of these white "roads" unpaved, then, except for the main one in and out you referenced? Do you think it's possible she made a turn before 89 and got lost in the maze of these?

Attachments

• reservoir-roads.png
    reservoir-roads.png
    745.9 KB · Views: 22
The most direct route back would have been 89 South to 80 West to Cold Stream Rd via Donner Pass Rd exit.

If one wanted to avoid the major highways, they would have taken Alder Creek Rd, through the "Tahoe Donner" residential development to Northwoods Blvd, then crossed over the freeway to get to Cold Stream Rd.

If she wasn't lost and this is an accident, one would think it would be along either of those routes.

The most direct route back would have 89 South to 80 West to Cold Stream Rd via Donner Pass Rd exit.

If one wanted to avoid the major highways, they would have taken Alder Creek Rd, through the "Tahoe Donner" residential development to Northwoods Blvd, then crossed over the freeway to get to Cold Stream Rd.

If she wasn't lost and this is an accident, one would think it would be along either of those routes.
That was part of the route the CHP Airbus helicopter was checking out earlier. All along Alder Creek Road through Tahoe Donnner across to Cold Creek Road.

Samantha said that she arrived at the bonfire party around 9pm on Friday and Kiely got there about an hour later.

I know this is from a MSM link, but I’m confused now because the party is labeled a “bonfire party.”

I’ve lived in NYC all my life and I’m uncomfortable actually in rural towns, but I respect those who love that lifestyle. However, I’ve seen numerous references in this thread by WS posters who are local to the area, and everyone out there says absolutely no fires are allowed to be lit, for safety reasons.

So if this was a bonfire party, wouldn’t that attract the attention of the rangers? Or is the area so vast that it wasn’t easy to spot? I would guess it would’ve been a high priority, due to the terrible wildfires out west already.

I graduated from high school at 16 and had my B.A. at 20, and never ever would I have hung out with people in their 20s then, and they wouldn’t have wanted to hang out with a 16-year old, either. Even after college I wouldn’t have been comfortable with someone much older than me.

My daughter was a teenager just when cell phones were becoming a thing, and I remember many a night staring out the window, waiting for her to come home. Cell phones changed everything as far as knowing where our children are, and I do find it especially distressing that Kiely’s phone is dead.

Personally I’m split between her being in an accident or her being abducted. My heart goes out to her family.

Thanks so much for your local insight. Can you tell us if, on this screenshot from Google Maps, are all of these white "roads" unpaved, then, except for the main one in and out you referenced? Do you think it's possible she made a turn before 89 and got lost in the maze of these?
So I personally covered a few of those dirt roads on my lunch run.... and I could cover the rest on my mountain bike in a 1 - 2 hours if I road slowly. So for the immediate vicinity of where the kids were partying, there is really one way in/out of that area. The terrain is "fairly rolling" so not too many places with a steep hidden ravine etc where a car could disappear. BUT sometimes you never know. Anyhow, I'll take a closer look...

Either way, if she made it to 89... than the search radius quickly becomes much larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88