Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately a party like that would be a magnet for rapists who like to prey on teenage girls. With over a hundred people present, in the woods, after dark, it would be terrifyingly easy to roofie a girl, stuff her in her car and drive away...

Thanks for your insight and personal knowledge of the area. Any particular roads / trails that would be harder to navigate if one was under the influence as some have observed Kiely was? Her friend Samantha indicated (per SMS interview) that Kiely knew the area well, had been to the party location on several occasions, etc...would it be be easy to take the wrong turn, etc. driving from the party location to the family lodge?
There is one paved road in and out of this area and no other dirt roads to get out easily... especially with just a Honda CRV. Once you get on 89... and if she were to turn north, then the dirt roads out there are endless. I've been out there exploring a ton on my dual sport.... beautiful remote areas. Tonight I was planning on hit mostly the area confined by the reservoir
Are there any trail cams in this area of the Tahoe region? How far is the closest gas station, convenience store with possibility of cameras? Any possible stops between Prosser and her home with cameras?

<modsnip - off topic>

I don't blame her friends, since they were likely intoxicated also and not likely to make good choices.

I suspect she may have gone to a third location, either driving or as a passenger in her car, and something happened there.

Last edited by a moderator:
“My head is all over the place. I’m terrified. Bad thoughts are very strong and hard to keep at bay. But I’m trying to hold out hope that we’ll find her, that she’ll come home,” Rodni’s mother said.

Smith and Rodni’s family want to know how no one saw her leave in her 2013 silver Honda CRV, which is still missing.

“I can’t believe it. There has to have been one person. There were people sitting in cars. There were people everywhere around this place,”

“We got home around 11, and she sent me a text at around 11:30, telling me that she was going to be leaving at about 12:15 and coming home. And I asked her to wake me up when she got in. That was always kind of what we did. And she said, ‘OK, mama. Love you.’ And that was the last,” Lindsey Rodni Nieman said.

“There was a lot of guys that did approach us,” Smith said. “Definitely, I was getting a gut feeling that during that party that something, something just didn’t feel right with the amount of people that were there and how old some of these people were.”

“Because nobody has said that they saw her leave they can’t say for sure what’s happened,” Lindsey Rodni Nieman said.
"We need evidence Kiely was abducted, and we don't have that. We said we are treating her case as an abduction because her car has not been found," a sheriff's office spokesperson said in response to an ABC10 inquiry.
Notable that LE is treating the case as an abduction, because her car has not been found. That seems odd, unless they suspect someone entered her vehicle, or forced her to exit her vehicle elsewhere. Might they hold back on revealing details - like if her smashed phone or an article of clothing had been found? Speculating as to why they mention possible abduction, without full on declaring it, and bringing on CARD or an Amber Alert.

jmo

I'm a Bay Area native and have spent a lot of time in Tahoe/Truckee over a couple of decades, and there is no way I would drive on anything that's not a main road at night. Sure, it's relatively close to towns, but it's very dense, and at night getting lost and driving off the road is very, very possible. Factor in drunkness, it's a terrible combination.

Although this party is sounding sketchier and sketchier by the minute. Why were there older men there? There's only one reason for that. But why would someone abducting her take her car? That makes spotting her as a victim much easier.

Notable that LE is treating the case as an abduction, because her car has not been found. That seems odd, unless they suspect someone entered her vehicle, or forced her to exit her vehicle elsewhere. Might they hold back on revealing details - like if her smashed phone or an article of clothing had been found? Speculating as to why they mention possible abduction, without full on declaring it, and bringing on CARD or an Amber Alert.

jmo
Exactly. I‘ve been watching for a BOLO for her car. Someone could have hurt/killed/disposed of her and stolen her car. That was difficult to type. I‘ve been going over in my head different scenarios. My granddaughter is 15, eager to start Driver’s Education, and part of the popular crowd. I hope I can get through her new driving experiences without pulling out the last of my gray hairs. Teens are so afraid of FOMO, I’m relatively sure there were young teens in attendance who might not tell their parents. Yet. I have zero doubt LE is holding back pertinent information, awaiting collection of evidence or confirmation, they’ve obtained from anonymous party goers.

Last edited:
Are there any trail cams in this area of the Tahoe region? How far is the closest gas station, convenience store with possibility of cameras? Any possible stops between Prosser and her home with cameras?
Looks like 12 miles from Prosser to the Lodge. Would definitely be cameras near the intersection of 89 and 80, if she got that far. Possibly near the traffic circle at Truckee Way and Pioneer. There are locals on here, hope they weigh in.

AMBER ALERT IS ONLY REGIONAL- SHARE EVERYWHERE!!

Search and Rescue will conduct another search August 9,2022.

If you are a parent of a child that attended this party or attended yourself, please look at yours or your child's photos/videos/social media for any images of Kiely potential persons of interest in the background.

Looks like 12 miles from Prosser to the Lodge. Would definitely be cameras near the intersection of 89 and 80, if she got that far. Possibly near the traffic circle at Truckee Way and Pioneer. There are locals on here, hope they weigh in.

Your map route shows getting on I-80, which bypasses all the major businesses with cameras, so it could be very likely she could have avoided all the businesses with cameras, let's hope if she drove that way she went by a camera, but this is a very Rural area

To me "turned off" feels like somebody did this on purpose...pushed a button so to say. I thought the phone was out of service.
IMO, it is just the words they chose to use and we shouldn’t read too much into them. They are calling her and it is going to voicemail and they aren’t able to track her via “find my” apps (both reported in MSM articles). This same result can come from the phone being manually powered off, the battery dying, being in an area with zero service (if there was any service it would likely ping at some point and show on the find my apps), or being damaged to the point of being inoperable. I don’t think there is any way for them to know which one of these is occurring until they retrieve the phone or service is restored.

RSBM

Yet. I have zero doubt LE is holding back pertinent information, awaiting collection of evidence or confirmation, they’ve obtained from anonymous party goers.

Agree.
I wonder what that last phone call to Kiely's friend was about. They had only just left each other.
Was Kiely maybe interested in someone at the party and was updating her friend?

“So my concern is that somebody might have offered to drive her home and then didn’t take her home,” Ms Smith told KOVR-TV.
Desperate search for missing teen feared 'abducted from party'

Last edited:
Your map route shows getting on I-80, which bypasses all the major businesses with cameras, so it could be very likely she could have avoided all the businesses with cameras, let's hope if she drove that way she went by a camera, but this is a very Rural area
You’re right, she may have stayed on back roads. I did notice a California Highway Patrol location near the 89 / Truckee Way Roundabout prior to getting on 80.

Attachments

• AB413B67-2E0B-4258-9C9B-1826C6131D1F.jpeg
    AB413B67-2E0B-4258-9C9B-1826C6131D1F.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 10
It would be great if there was a safety class taught in all high schools about buddying up, rides with strangers, older men, etc, etc. Sadly, the two most obvious scenarios in Kiely’s disappearance, abduction or submersion, both have the same tragic outcome. If another person offered to drive her home in her car, then abducted her, the car could easily be in another state, dumped, and concealed. It’s bizarre that with estimates as high as 250 people, complete with adults and college students crashing the teen party, (kcra channel three source)
no one saw the car leave.

Last edited:
It would be great if there was a safety class taught in all high schools about buddying up, rides with strangers, older men, etc, etc. Sadly, the two most obvious scenarios in Kiely’s disappearance, abduction or submersion, both have the same tragic outcome. If another person offered to drive her home in her car, then abducted her, the car could easily be in another state, dumped, and concealed. It’s bizarre that with estimates as high as 250 people, complete with adults and college students crashing the teen party, no one saw the car leave.
I had no idea the party was that large.
I thought it was a small community, wonder if it was composed of mostly local high schoolers or non locals.
And if there was a lot that didn’t live in the area - were they camping at the campsite? If not, where were they staying after partying all night?

It would be great if there was a safety class taught in all high schools about buddying up, rides with strangers, older men, etc, etc. Sadly, the two most obvious scenarios in Kiely’s disappearance, abduction or submersion, both have the same tragic outcome. If another person offered to drive her home in her car, then abducted her, the car could easily be in another state, dumped, and concealed. It’s bizarre that with estimates as high as 250 people, complete with adults and college students crashing the teen party, (kcra channel three source)
no one saw the car leave.

Agree but sadly, I don't think it would do much good. I have kids ages 19 and 20 and they think they know it all at this age and nothing bad will ever happen. They've seen the videos in driver's training about texting, drinking, etc while driving and yet kids this age STILL do it. It's maddening and scary!

As to the pp asking about trails in this terrain. You'd be surprised at just how many trails are in these mountains and woods. Hiking, backpacking, etc are a huge outdoor lure for people in this area. There are videos of bears all over Truckee, Tahoe and surrounding areas and they do not keep visitors or locals at bay. It's just part of life in this area.

I truly hope somebody somewhere had to see something or inadvertently caught it on their phone. These kids are glued to their phones 24/7. They naively post their anctics all the time on social media so hoping somebody finds a clue or an answer thru there.

It doesn’t strike me as automatically neglectful or nefarious that her friends left her. It’s likely that she initially intended to drive home, so that’s what she told her mom. She might not have expected to get drunk so fast, but maybe she had been “pregaming” beforehand. Then realized at the party that she had become too intoxicated, and decided to sleep it off.

Her friends might have actually thought that was the safer decision for her.

Maybe most of the unfamiliar people seemed to have left by the time they did, and most who were staying to camp were local.

Maybe her friends left her with a group of people they knew and felt comfortable with, but can’t mention publicly because those people are being looked at by LE.

Maybe she hadn’t charged her phone long enough earlier, and she passed out before plugging it back in so it died. And maybe she fell asleep with her car doors unlocked.

It would be interesting to know how many people stayed behind to camp, and how far away her car was parked from other people. Was she tucked away in an isolated spot that seemed safe because she was hidden, but being out of sight from the crowd made her a vulnerable target? Or was she parked in a crowded area that felt safer than being alone — but was also full of potentially dangerous strangers — and campers were asleep or too drunk to notice anything unusual?

When I was 16/17, if I had attended a party in the woods and decided to sleep in my car, my friends wouldn’t have batted an eye. They knew I was a competent and experienced mountain girl who’s as accustomed to sleeping on dirt as I am to driving on it. And if were intoxicated, they would’ve been relieved I wasn’t trying to drive. But their own parents wouldn’t have allowed it, so they wouldn’t have stayed behind themselves.

Her friends know her and might also consider her fairly capable. Most are probably pretty comfortable campers themselves, especially in an area they know. At that age — and inebriated — we know teenagers often have an unreasonable sense of invincibility.

I think I remember an earlier comment that even though her home was only 12 miles away, it was a 30+ minute drive. That might sound daunting to an exhausted and inexperienced teenage driver, no matter how familiar she is with the roads.

As mentioned in another post, there are several easy ways to get back home that avoid getting onto I-80. If I lived in Truckee, I'd certainly be avoiding I-80, especially if I had been drinking.

One of them involves going west on Alder Creek Drive, then down through Tahoe-Donner to Northwoods to cross over the freeway to Cold Creek Road. Yesterday I watched the track of the CHP helicopter on Flightradar24 as it traced up and down Cold Creek Road and then back up Northwoods all over Tahoe-Donner up to Alder Creek and back to where it joins Highway 89.

Another would be to go down 89 to cross over the freeway on Truckee Way, go west then cross back to Donner Pass Road. This one invoves more in-town driving and stop lights and probably more risk of encountering CHP or more traffic. The CHP helicopter also covered that route yesterday

Everyone has their own "shortcuts" and favored roads and I would think her mom or her friends would know which routes she favored.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member