Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The divers were staging in the boat ramp parking lot before planned searches in areas of the reservoir, which is 60 feet deep at its nadir. Crews told Fox News Digital they planned to search underwater near the shore.

A spokesperson for the Placer County Sheriff's Office told Fox News Digital Wednesday morning that there had been no developments in the search overnight.

In a joint statement, the Placer County and Nevada County sheriffs said they’d assigned 265 personnel to the case. The number of tips received has climbed to more than 300, tripling Tuesday's total. However, authorities are still trying to find someone who witnessed Rodni leaving the party before she disappeared.
Sheriff's deputies set up a forensics tent on a ramp into Prosser Creek Reservoir and launched mini-submarines fitted with cameras in a bid to find Kiely's SUV

Sheriff's deputies set up a forensics tent on a ramp into Prosser Creek Reservoir and launched mini-submarines fitted with cameras in a bid to find Kiely's SUV

1660154553359.jpeg

Last edited:
More than 50 federal agents are now working alongside local search and rescue teams. Video:
Wouldn't it be nice if all MPs and their loved ones get this amount of support? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around "more than 50" FBI agents assisting local LE & SAR teams in their efforts to find Kiely. This seems soooo different from the typical MP cases we see. :confused: Makes me think there must be much more to the story than has been reported. I hope they can find Kiely quickly. MOO

Flightradar24

PCSO N911WL pretty green copter is back up again on another sort of odd path, SW of the airport covereng the mountain south of the town of Truckee and then along the lower Truckee River Canyon along Highway 89 south of the town, but north of Squaw Valley or Alpine Meadows ski areas.

And then back up along Cold Creek Road. !

Of course, it could be completely different PCSO business, but this tells me they haven't found anything, yet.

"

Hard to tell... maybe just to report on the dives happening at the Prosser Creek Reservoir right now. Hmm, maybe LE believes they're going to find the car? It seems like if they were confident the car is in the water they would make an announcement when they find it rather than a scheduled presser.
If they had underwater subs with cameras going yesterday, I wonder if the divers are going down due to something specific, or if they are just conducting a general search?

Catching up real quick.... I have a couple of observations from my run and pictures of the boat ramp at 7:30pm last night.

- There was a slight breeze and it was pushing the water East from the boat ramp. I imagine much of the dive teams efforts would be focused to the lookers right of the boat ramp.
- Friday night was calm at my house so I think it was probably calm at the reservoir as well.
- The terrain does enter the water at a fairly steep angle, so it is probably deeper than I think. The water is pretty dark as well.

View attachment 358843View attachment 358844View attachment 358845View attachment 358846View attachment 358847View attachment 358848View attachment 358849View attachment 358850View attachment 358851
- For reference, here is where they were partying... and the main dirt road people need to drive to get there, from the one paved road in/out to this area.

View attachment 358853
Great photos thanks

Do you know if those awful, nosisy ROV off-road vehicles are allowed in the area nearby or in the region where the party was? They are so very annoying near residences, especially at night.

Someone in one of those could have been attracted by the noise or lights of the party and gone over to check it out in the wee hours, maybe came across an intoxicated or incapacitated KR.

Last edited:
I think I found the confusion on the staying overnight vs going home issue. In the Fox 40 interview, SS says they were supposed to go BACK to the campground Saturday night. In previous interviews they mentioned a 9:00am meeting to go hiking. It sounds like the intention was always for Kiely to go home after the party (Friday) and then stay the night camping the following (Saturday) night.

Catching up real quick.... I have a couple of observations from my run and pictures of the boat ramp at 7:30pm last night.

- There was a slight breeze and it was pushing the water East from the boat ramp. I imagine much of the dive teams efforts would be focused to the lookers right of the boat ramp.
- Friday night was calm at my house so I think it was probably calm at the reservoir as well.
- The terrain does enter the water at a fairly steep angle, so it is probably deeper than I think. The water is pretty dark as well.

View attachment 358843View attachment 358844View attachment 358845View attachment 358846View attachment 358847View attachment 358848View attachment 358849View attachment 358850View attachment 358851
- For reference, here is where they were partying... and the main dirt road people need to drive to get there, from the one paved road in/out to this area.

View attachment 358853
Thanks for this. The second to last picture really looks like in the dark you could easily veer off into the water especially if you were inebriated.

So this area is the one divers are searching, correct?

Do you know if those awful, nosisy ROV off-road vehicles are allowed in the area nearby or in the region where the party was? They are so very annoying near residences, especially at night.

Someone in one of those could have been attracted by the noise or lights of the party and gone over to check it out in the wee hours, maybe came across an intoxicated or incapacitated KR.

It is hard to tell from the Google Satellite image, but the party location is up on a small ridge. The dirt road coming in is in a very slight valley so noise and headlights would not really be noticed from our neighborhood, Lakeside Campground, or the Prosser Family Campground. It has only been the last couple of years I have noticed groups of kids camping there... so I think "The Sanctuary" has only recently become a hang out spot for teenagers.

Previously random "pickup truck" type guys would hang there drinking whiskey.... or last summer I remember a hippie type couple was living in their tent there for maybe 10 days.

Anyhow, it is a little more off the beaten path and in a spot that can be accessed quietly.

Trying to bring excellent timeline over here from previous thread, and clearly I do not know how. It is post #752, if someone would be kind enough to bring it over. Thanks!

DateTimeActionDetailLink
8/5/2221:45Kiely arrives to partySamantha Smith reportedThe Independent
8/5/22Attends Party“We have been close friends since before, so we ended up meeting up with each other, sort of screaming to each other ‘Hi!’ For the rest of the party we pretty much stuck to each other,” Samantha told The Independent. But as the gathering grew bigger, the teenagers went separate ways while continuing to see each other sporadically throughout the party.

“I knew it was a big party but it was supposed to be just the community …The party started to grow past the [number] of people that were supposed to be there,” Samantha said.

“There were college kids and people from the Bay area coming and I got a bad feeling about it but didn’t really think much of it.”
The Independent
Witnesses and law enforcement say there were anywhere from 200 to 250 teenagers and young adults in attendance.KCRA
There were 200-300 juveniles at the party, which was in a wooded area, Musallam said in a news conference Tuesday, and "someone knows something."CNN
Smith, 18, said that there were plenty of attendees whom she had not previously met but none who seemed suspicious, gave unwanted attention or followed the pair around.

She said she didn’t notice anyone much older and that the party consisted mainly of teens, recent graduates and some college students from the surrounding areas. Some came from as far away as San Francisco, she said, but that was not unusual because the area is a summer vacation town.
"We met a few strangers together," she said. "We both tended to trust people. I say ‘tended to’ because now I don’t think I will continue to trust people. But she’ll give anyone the benefit of the doubt."
Fox News Digital
Rodni's friend, Sami Smith, was with her most of the night. She said that Rodni was planning to spend the night at the campground.CBS Sacramento
Rodni had enough drinks to become drunk, according to her friend and another recent graduate, Sami Smith, who added that she did not believe the teen would have driven under the circumstances.

"At the point when I left, I thought she was going to stay there," said Smith, who departed the campground just a few minutes before Rodni was last seen. "Everybody was camping. It was late enough that she should have stayed. She’s not the type to go and drunk drive or anything."

"For the amount of drinks we both had together, she’s not that dumb," she added. "I remember we were partying together. She was having fun. She seemed really happy — she was like normal, just on an adrenaline rush. Saying ‘Hi’ to everybody.
Fox News Digital
8/5/2223:00Charges Phone in CarSamantha said that around 11pm, they went to Kiely’s car to charge their phones and arranged for Kiely to give her a ride home. However, she changed her mind later when she saw that Kiely was clearly intoxicated, Samantha said.The Independent
8/6/220:15Texts MotherBut Rodni-Nieman says her daughter texted her around 12:15 a.m. Saturday and said she was heading home. The family lives about 10 miles away from the campground at a lodge south of town.Fox News Digital
8/6/220:25Kiely says goodbye to SamanthaThe teenagers said goodbye to each other around 12.25amThe Independent
8/6/220:36Phone Call to Samantha Smith“At 12.36am she called me … and this is the last call anybody had with her. We said ‘love you, good night. Get home safe,’ and that’s the last thing we heard of her,” Samantha said on Monday.
-
A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office told The Independent on Monday that the department could not confirm whether Samantha was the last person to speak Kiely, but said that shortly after midnight her phone was turned off.
The Independent
8/6/22After 12:30 pmSeen wandering around partyNo source or detailsThe Independent
n/an/aStatements & speculation from friends“We have reason to believe she might’ve left that party spot to go to another campground with a smaller group of people,” said Marika Veck. “All signs point that somebody took her and probably drugged her and has her.”KOLOTV
Smith said Kiely had been planning to spend the night at the campground, according to the Associated Press.Reno Gazette Journal
Rodni’s friend Magdalene Larson who is one of the organizers said the oldest of two was not in the right stage to drive herself that day.

“We know there’s no way she could have gotten herself out of there if she was drunk,” she said. “The roads in and out are too hard. With how drunk she was she wouldn’t have been able to navigate them.”
KOLOTV
I know that she wasn't in the right mindset or state to drive. And if she were to have driven, she wouldn't have made it far, Smith said. "So my concern is that somebody might have offered to drive her home and then didn't take her home."CBS Sacramento
There are a flurry of online rumors but scant real clues in the case. Friends say Kiely intended to stay at the campground overnight, but they lost track of her in the large party. At least one witness says Kiely was too intoxicated to drive.SFGATE
8/6/22before 1:00amCell Phone Dies"Her cellphone went dead and became virtually untraceable shortly after," Angela Musallam, public information officer for the Placer County Sheriff's Office, told ABC News during an interview Monday.ABC News
8/6/229:00Scheduled to meet friendsDid not show up at meet spot to go on hike with friendsThe Independent
8/6/2218:26Search UpdateHours before the statement session, about 280 volunteers gathered at the TCRC for a search.KOLOTV
8/6/2217:41Missing Flyer Posted to FacebookFacebook - Placer Sheriff
8/7/2218:03Tip Line SetupFacebook - Placer Sheriff
8/8/2215:28Reward OfferedAn anonymous tip line has been established and a $50,000 reward is being offered to help find Kiely Rodni.KRCA
8/8/2214:30Law Enforcement Statement"the Placer County Sheriff's Office said. It's possible she may have been abducted, the sheriff's office told FOX40"SFGATE
8/8/2214:30Search UpdateAbout 50 FBI agents on Tuesday were in the area following up on leads.
More than 200 tips have been submitted, and investigators on Tuesday were pleading for more.
Sacramento Bee
8/9/2213:30Search Update"Prosser has been exhaustingly searched," both on the ground and in the Prosser Creek Reservoir nearby. (Samantha Smith)Reno Gazette Journal
8/9/2216:44Law Enforcement Update"Detectives are currently following up on leads and our Falcon 30 helicopter is assisting the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office with the search for Kiely. Our air operations crew will be flying over the Interstate 80 corridor between Donner Summit and the Nevada state line, and will continue searching around the Prosser Lake area."Facebook - Placer Sheriff
8/9/2211:59Law Enforcement Update77 Personel Assigned, 528 Dedicated Personnel Hours, 3 Air Resources, >100 Tips received from 8/6-8/8Facebook - Placer Sheriff
8/9/2214:09Search UpdateThe search also included several aircraft, including helicopters and airplanes flying in formation above, and all-terrain vehicles, including four-wheelers, trikes and dirt bikes. There were search dogs present and at least 100 members of law enforcement visible, including members of the FBI, who initially focused their attention on Campsite 4.Fox News Digital
8/9/2215:00Search UpdateThe Placer County Sheriff's Office is currently coordinating with the California Highway Patrol, Truckee police, FBI, and the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office as they continue their search for the teen.KRCA
8/9/2214:00Search UpdatePolice dive teams have joined the hunt for missing California teen Kiely Rodni, DailyMail.com can reveal. Exclusive DailyMail.com photos show police boats and helicopters searching the Prosser Creek Reservoir, a 760-acre stretch of water directly beneath the campground where Kiely was last seen.Daily Mail

Post in thread 'CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022'
CA - CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

DateTimeActionDetailLink
8/5/2221:45Kiely arrives to partySamantha Smith reportedThe Independent
8/5/22Attends Party“We have been close friends since before, so we ended up meeting up with each other, sort of screaming to each other ‘Hi!’ For the rest of the party we pretty much stuck to each other,” Samantha told The Independent. But as the gathering grew bigger, the teenagers went separate ways while continuing to see each other sporadically throughout the party.

“I knew it was a big party but it was supposed to be just the community …The party started to grow past the [number] of people that were supposed to be there,” Samantha said.

“There were college kids and people from the Bay area coming and I got a bad feeling about it but didn’t really think much of it.”
The Independent
Witnesses and law enforcement say there were anywhere from 200 to 250 teenagers and young adults in attendance.KCRA
There were 200-300 juveniles at the party, which was in a wooded area, Musallam said in a news conference Tuesday, and "someone knows something."CNN
Smith, 18, said that there were plenty of attendees whom she had not previously met but none who seemed suspicious, gave unwanted attention or followed the pair around.

She said she didn’t notice anyone much older and that the party consisted mainly of teens, recent graduates and some college students from the surrounding areas. Some came from as far away as San Francisco, she said, but that was not unusual because the area is a summer vacation town.
"We met a few strangers together," she said. "We both tended to trust people. I say ‘tended to’ because now I don’t think I will continue to trust people. But she’ll give anyone the benefit of the doubt."
Fox News Digital
Rodni's friend, Sami Smith, was with her most of the night. She said that Rodni was planning to spend the night at the campground.CBS Sacramento
Rodni had enough drinks to become drunk, according to her friend and another recent graduate, Sami Smith, who added that she did not believe the teen would have driven under the circumstances.

"At the point when I left, I thought she was going to stay there," said Smith, who departed the campground just a few minutes before Rodni was last seen. "Everybody was camping. It was late enough that she should have stayed. She’s not the type to go and drunk drive or anything."

"For the amount of drinks we both had together, she’s not that dumb," she added. "I remember we were partying together. She was having fun. She seemed really happy — she was like normal, just on an adrenaline rush. Saying ‘Hi’ to everybody.
Fox News Digital
8/5/2223:00Charges Phone in CarSamantha said that around 11pm, they went to Kiely’s car to charge their phones and arranged for Kiely to give her a ride home. However, she changed her mind later when she saw that Kiely was clearly intoxicated, Samantha said.The Independent
8/6/220:15Texts MotherBut Rodni-Nieman says her daughter texted her around 12:15 a.m. Saturday and said she was heading home. The family lives about 10 miles away from the campground at a lodge south of town.Fox News Digital
8/6/220:25Kiely says goodbye to SamanthaThe teenagers said goodbye to each other around 12.25amThe Independent
8/6/220:36Phone Call to Samantha Smith“At 12.36am she called me … and this is the last call anybody had with her. We said ‘love you, good night. Get home safe,’ and that’s the last thing we heard of her,” Samantha said on Monday.
-
A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office told The Independent on Monday that the department could not confirm whether Samantha was the last person to speak Kiely, but said that shortly after midnight her phone was turned off.
The Independent
8/6/22After 12:30 pmSeen wandering around partyNo source or detailsThe Independent
n/an/aStatements & speculation from friends“We have reason to believe she might’ve left that party spot to go to another campground with a smaller group of people,” said Marika Veck. “All signs point that somebody took her and probably drugged her and has her.”KOLOTV
Smith said Kiely had been planning to spend the night at the campground, according to the Associated Press.Reno Gazette Journal
Rodni’s friend Magdalene Larson who is one of the organizers said the oldest of two was not in the right stage to drive herself that day.

“We know there’s no way she could have gotten herself out of there if she was drunk,” she said. “The roads in and out are too hard. With how drunk she was she wouldn’t have been able to navigate them.”
KOLOTV
I know that she wasn't in the right mindset or state to drive. And if she were to have driven, she wouldn't have made it far, Smith said. "So my concern is that somebody might have offered to drive her home and then didn't take her home."CBS Sacramento
There are a flurry of online rumors but scant real clues in the case. Friends say Kiely intended to stay at the campground overnight, but they lost track of her in the large party. At least one witness says Kiely was too intoxicated to drive.SFGATE
8/6/22before 1:00amCell Phone Dies"Her cellphone went dead and became virtually untraceable shortly after," Angela Musallam, public information officer for the Placer County Sheriff's Office, told ABC News during an interview Monday.ABC News
8/6/229:00Scheduled to meet friendsDid not show up at meet spot to go on hike with friendsThe Independent
8/6/2218:26Search UpdateHours before the statement session, about 280 volunteers gathered at the TCRC for a search.KOLOTV
8/6/2217:41Missing Flyer Posted to FacebookFacebook - Placer Sheriff
8/7/2218:03Tip Line SetupFacebook - Placer Sheriff
8/8/2215:28Reward OfferedAn anonymous tip line has been established and a $50,000 reward is being offered to help find Kiely Rodni.KRCA
8/8/2214:30Law Enforcement Statement"the Placer County Sheriff's Office said. It's possible she may have been abducted, the sheriff's office told FOX40"SFGATE
8/8/2214:30Search UpdateAbout 50 FBI agents on Tuesday were in the area following up on leads.
More than 200 tips have been submitted, and investigators on Tuesday were pleading for more.
Sacramento Bee
8/9/2213:30Search Update"Prosser has been exhaustingly searched," both on the ground and in the Prosser Creek Reservoir nearby. (Samantha Smith)Reno Gazette Journal
8/9/2216:44Law Enforcement Update"Detectives are currently following up on leads and our Falcon 30 helicopter is assisting the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office with the search for Kiely. Our air operations crew will be flying over the Interstate 80 corridor between Donner Summit and the Nevada state line, and will continue searching around the Prosser Lake area."Facebook - Placer Sheriff
8/9/2211:59Law Enforcement Update77 Personel Assigned, 528 Dedicated Personnel Hours, 3 Air Resources, >100 Tips received from 8/6-8/8Facebook - Placer Sheriff
8/9/2214:09Search UpdateThe search also included several aircraft, including helicopters and airplanes flying in formation above, and all-terrain vehicles, including four-wheelers, trikes and dirt bikes. There were search dogs present and at least 100 members of law enforcement visible, including members of the FBI, who initially focused their attention on Campsite 4.Fox News Digital
8/9/2215:00Search UpdateThe Placer County Sheriff's Office is currently coordinating with the California Highway Patrol, Truckee police, FBI, and the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office as they continue their search for the teen.KRCA
8/9/2214:00Search UpdatePolice dive teams have joined the hunt for missing California teen Kiely Rodni, DailyMail.com can reveal. Exclusive DailyMail.com photos show police boats and helicopters searching the Prosser Creek Reservoir, a 760-acre stretch of water directly beneath the campground where Kiely was last seen.Daily Mail

Post in thread 'CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022'
CA - CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022
Thank you! One of these days, I am going to learn (or remember) how to do this,

If they had underwater subs with cameras going yesterday, I wonder if the divers are going down due to something specific, or if they are just conducting a general search?
Being the news junkie that I am, it seems that if someone is missing along with their vehicle, they are either in a ravine or they are under water. Just my opinion.

It is hard to tell from the Google Satellite image, but the party location is up on a small ridge. The dirt road coming in is in a very slight valley so noise and headlights would not really be noticed from our neighborhood, Lakeside Campground, or the Prosser Family Campground. It has only been the last couple of years I have noticed groups of kids camping there... so I think "The Sanctuary" has only recently become a hang out spot for teenagers.

Previously random "pickup truck" type guys would hang there drinking whiskey.... or last summer I remember a hippie type couple was living in their tent there for maybe 10 days.

Anyhow, it is a little more off the beaten path and in a spot that can be accessed quietly.
Thanks again for the insight. If indeed there were 200-300 people...assuming many rode together...that's still possibly around 50 - 100 cars. Is there a parking area or does the "Sanctuary" lend itself to cars just parking on the shoulder of the road? We've learned that Kiely's car was parked less than a 100 yards from the main "party" area. Wondering how easy and/or difficult it may have been to maneuver out of that area.

I wonder why they’re doing another so soon? Could it be real updated new information, hopefully?

They said during yesterday's presser that they would be doing another one today. I'm hoping for new information but it might just be to update about what search efforts are going on and another appeal for information

Edit: they stated yesterday they were doing the press release, not conference. Sorry about that!!

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be nice if all MPs and their loved ones get this amount of support? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around "more than 50" FBI agents assisting local LE & SAR teams in their efforts to find Kiely. This seems soooo different from the typical MP cases we see. :confused: Makes me think there must be much more to the story than has been reported. I hope they can find Kiely quickly. MOO
At only 16 -- this is a missing youth at a state border location involving multi-jurisdictional investigations so FBI assistance expected. However, this does not mean 50+ FBI Agents all working at the same time. Also, take note that the Prosser Family Campground where KR was last seen and /or reported missing is USDA Forest Land.

Thanks again for the insight. If indeed there were 200-300 people...assuming many rode together...that's still possibly around 50 - 100 cars...is there any parking area or does the "Sanctuary" lend itself to cars just parking on the shoulder of the road? We've learned that Kiely's car was parked less than a 100 yards from the main "party" area. Wondering how easy and/or difficult it may have been to maneuver out of that area.
Typically that area is fairly "pristine" pine needles and sagebrush under tall pine trees. It is has turned into a "dirt parking lot" in between all the trees, logs and rocks. I could easily see 20-30 cars there maybe more? From what I saw, there could easily have been a couple of "car" circles with headlights facing in and a couple of congregating groups, IMHO.

The dirt road there is definitely single lane and somewhat rutted. You are not driving fast because you could bottom out on rocks etc. I'd think twice using a normal sedan to get there. Honda CRV... well used Subaru Outback's, Toyota Tacoma's, Toyota Forerunner's... no problem.

At only 16 -- this is a missing youth at a state border location involving multi-jurisdictional investigations so FBI assistance expected. However, this does not mean 50+ FBI Agents all working at the same time. Also, take note that the Prosser Family Campground where KR was last seen and /or reported missing is USDA Forest Land.

I think another thing that has been on my mind as I have wondered the same as @YaYa_521 - there is absolutely no indication Kiely is a runaway, both in minds of family/friends and law enforcement.
Many of the missing teens/pre-teens reported are initially designated by law enforcement as runaways (not to say this is something we always agree on or believe should happen), which unfortunately doesn't automatically trigger as many resources as that of a teen thought to be endangered either by accident or abduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow