Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Someone posted an article yesterday from 2015 about the parents' lodge that said Kiely was homeschooled. She attended a local high school but it's not clear if she did so online or in person.

For some reason I can't link directly but it can be found on USEFUL LINKS - lost trail lodge
if you click on Backcountry Magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always leaned close to the obvious theory that KR accidentally ended up in the water in her car, and I probably still think that but it does nag at me that LE don't seem even 80% sure that this is the case,there seems to be a vibe that maybe they have extra info that the general public don't and that they do suspect foul play.
I also don't like the closeness in time of her phone disappearing barely minutes after her last reported phone conversation which,if the reported conversation is truthful, happened whilst she was still at the party site and not in her car. It's such a short space of time and I find myself wondering if that last phonecall was a code for "I'm in a situation and need an out".
I just can't pick one strong feeling here if you know what I mean?.

All MOO
There is so many possibilities it is hard to lean one way. I kind of wish they would invite adventures with a purpose out to maybe go over water area's nearby as well.

I was thinking, it is possible her phone died right after she hung up, or maybe she even dropped it. I have dropped my phone and never was able to get it back on. Previous people have said that it was really dark in some places, so maybe without her light on her phone someone was able to sneak up on her while she was walking back to her car... Just so many possibilities. I am really really hoping they have more than they are saying and we just don't know.

I have always leaned close to the obvious theory that KR accidentally ended up in the water in her car, and I probably still think that but it does nag at me that LE don't seem even 80% sure that this is the case,there seems to be a vibe that maybe they have extra info that the general public don't and that they do suspect foul play.
I also don't like the closeness in time of her phone disappearing barely minutes after her last reported phone conversation which,if the reported conversation is truthful, happened whilst she was still at the party site and not in her car. It's such a short space of time and I find myself wondering if that last phonecall was a code for "I'm in a situation and need an out".
I just can't pick one strong feeling here if you know what I mean?.

All MOO
I'm with you. I understand why LE keeps information close to the vest, even though it frustrates civilians like us.

Very good catch on the last phonecall. I didn't think about that. SS said that she found it strange that KR forgot about a conversation that they had just 10 minutes ago. I hate speculation, so I won't express my thoughts. However, that is a curious thought you have there. :)

<modsnip - arguing with moderator’s actions> Everyone’s quick to disregard the LDR sweatshirt, but it reflects the mindset of some of the partygoers. An eerie coincidence? Maybe. I’ve put myself in stupid situations when I was a teen. There’s always older guys who use alcohol and drugs to prey on underage girls. Tale as old as time.
I think someone overheard her on the phone with her mom. If she was intoxicated and unable to drive, a guy might have offered to drive her car for her. I let guys drive my car before stupidly. From there, I’m not sure what happened.
I can see where my car is parked on maps from my iPhone. I have a 2013 Honda Pilot. I wonder if Honda can somehow track her car down. Must be a way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has LE said anything about specifically looking for and not seeing her car on cameras along I-80, or Prosser Summit, or 89 south? There are so many road cameras, state lines etc. It seems like the first thing that would have been done, but I haven't heard them say that the car was not on video. Just wondering if they are actively going through video or already went though it and found nothing.

Kiely’s mother states that Kiely had gone to other gatherings/parties at the Sanctuary, a decades-long safe hangout for teens. What was different this time was the unusually large number gathered.

Has LE said anything about specifically looking for and not seeing her car on cameras along I-80, or Prosser Summit, or 89 south? There are so many road cameras, state lines etc. It seems like the first thing that would have been done, but I haven't heard them say that the car was not on video. Just wondering if they are actively going through video or already went though it and found nothing.
I see Caltrans Has a Camera on 80 if she had taken 80 to get home. Apparently they are only live though.

Not sure of other cameras in or around the area.

I would think it would be beneficial if people who drove 80 that weekend and had dash cams, could go back and check their footage. Gaby Petito's case had that small sliver on info when those youtubers were driving by.

Last edited:
Very detailed report from local newspaper on community meeting, search area.
LE is going door-to-door asking for information, Ring recordings.

I find myself wondering if that last phonecall was a code for "I'm in a situation and need an out".

Yeah, the wording and tone of what was said was vitally important here; and based on the self-reporting from party attenders, it doesn't seem like many if any were in the mindset to detect nuance.
"You need a ride, right?", "You ready to get out of here?", etc. can be emphasized in a way to let people know that you're asking for a reason other than the surface-level question. Only SS can answer if she was lucid enough to be able to remember if the wording of the question was really "do you still need a ride" and if it felt at all like it had any undertones to it.

MOO

At first I thought that she ended up in the water or ditch somewhere and I still believe this is the biggest possibility. In the same time I wouldn’t discount foul play, she was vulnerable ( drunk apparently)and alone as her friends left.
It doesn’t take much to meet a wrong person. She might have offered a ride to someone as she did to her friend SS but this person did something to her and hid a car. I feel torn between kids knowing something or they really didn’t see her leave . I feel so sorry for her parents and if anyone know something should come forward no excuses not to in this situation.

Kiely’s mother states that Kiely had gone to other gatherings/parties at the Sanctuary, a decades-long safe hangout for teens. What was different this time was the unusually large number gathered.
I think you are right. Then factor in that the increase in numbers could well have brought harder drugs- and harder people.

At the end of the day, I think a substantial majority of Junior College students do not show up at parties packing hallucinogens and cocaine. Rather, cocaine n' shrooms sporting older attendees were of the unenrolled, the wanna'bes and the barely enrolled “perpetually taking a class or two" sub groups.

I have a sneaking suspicion that what started out as a safe (or at least relatively safe) hang out for area teens that featured drinking and recreational pot use, either metamorphisized or, was co opted by others into a very chaotic and potentially dangerous event featuring hard drugs and hard people.

Perhaps with out realizing the extent of the metamorphosis, KR arrives as an unaccompanied female.

Last edited:
@truckeelife @Runin530mtns being a former resident in a Colorado ski town and with many properties second homes, vacation rentals, etc.. and vacant more so during the summer months than the winter due to skiing/snowmobiling from Squaw to Kirkwood, many with keycode entry, and possible theory of after party location in a vacant home (or not) post Prosser. Do you know if LE are urging local real estate/property management companies/homeowners to do a check on their properties? I saw a recent post there may be 6,500 properties. AMOO
I’ve been asking around and no, no one I know is aware of property owners or management companies in Tahoe Donner or with second homes to check their properties. TD could easily send out a note to all owners too. And TD is getting close to 6,700 homes now, with recent builds. It’s a massive residential area with certain culdesacs and streets that are majority second homes.

<modsnip - arguing with moderator’s actions> Everyone’s quick to disregard the LDR sweatshirt, but it reflects the mindset of some of the partygoers. An eerie coincidence? Maybe. I’ve put myself in stupid situations when I was a teen. There’s always older guys who use alcohol and drugs to prey on underage girls. Tale as old as time.
I think someone overheard her on the phone with her mom. If she was intoxicated and unable to drive, a guy might have offered to drive her car for her. I let guys drive my car before stupidly. From there, I’m not sure what happened.
I can see where my car is parked on maps from my iPhone. I have a 2013 Honda Pilot. I wonder if Honda can somehow track her car down. Must be a way.

I think this is a trick your IPhone is doing, not your car. None the less I do think you make a valid point on older predatory people being at parties like this. THis is the only option I think could have happened if her car is not in the water. I sure hope she is out there somewhere, it is just so very sad.

When Kiely called her friend SS at 12:36 asking her if she needed a ride home, did SS indicate whether Kiely was sitting in her car? Walking to her car? I know SS said she knew she was still at the party because she could hear the noise from it while she talked to Kiely.

When LE works these cases, they have to work with what they know as fact, then work their way out from there. As new evidence and leads develop, your working theory changes to fit the evidence. Right now, LE has found no evidence that KR drove off the road despite numerous searches in water and on land. They haven’t eliminated this possibility, but they have to look at other alternatives more closely. So what do we know?
From all accounts, it seems like that Kiely intended to drive home that night. She texted her mother at 11:30 pm and told her she would be leaving the party about 12:15 am. I’m wondering if the alcohol she had consumed caught up to her by 12:15.
At 12:26 she and SS parted ways with SS telling Kiely she had found another ride.
At 12:30 LE said she was last seen at the party
At 12:33 her phone was no longer active. Was it shut off, run out of battery, dropped/broken/submerged?
At 12:36 SS states that KR called her and asked if she wanted a ride. This seems to contradict that KR’s phone was last on at 12:33. If this call did go through, was KR so out of it that she did not remember talking to SS 10 minutes before? I’m sure LE has by now subpoenaed KR’s phone records, but in the meantime did SS show LE her call list from that night?
This leads us to where was KR when she spoke to SS at 12:36? Was she walking alone towards her own vehicle? There was a sort of circle of vehicles that had their headlights on to illuminate the party area. The area outside this ring was probably much darker. I’m sure figures could be seen in the area, but probably not recognizable unless they were fairly close. So if KR was walking alone in the dark as she spoke to SS or sitting in her vehicle, she was probably not paying good attention to her surroundings. Was someone lurking in the area? There have been many cases where people have been attacked while approaching or sitting in a vehicle in a dark area. I wonder if people have had items taken from their vehicles during these parties. Unfortunately , this has become common at popular trailheads. Maybe Kiely came upon someone who was attempting to break into a vehicle. If her state of inebriation was as severe as SS indicated, it probably wouldn’t take much to overpower her. If she was stumbling around in the dark with her keys in her hand, a not so good sammaritan may have offered to assist her to her vehicle as others have mentioned earlier in the thread. There are certainly many possibilities.
Unfortunately if something like this happened to KR, it wouldn’t be surprising to have such a lack of clues. Kids partying in the dark, in the woods, are just not apt to notice a car pulling away, a couple walking off together, or be able to describe a stranger in a group of strangers. It would take some kind of altercation or unusual noise to catch their attention.
I still think the greater likelihood is that KR was involved in an accident, going off the road into water or a ravine. However, I don’t think foul play can be ruled out just yet.
If KR went off to a house party you would have a much more intimate group of people to witness some mishap like a drug overdose. I think if that is the case, it is just a matter of time before someone’s conscience gets the better of them and they spill to LE. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne