Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who took the photo of Kiely at 6 in the store?
Was it from Kiely's own phone, or the person that took the photo?
Where did they go after the store until they arrived at the party near 10?
Was the photographer one of the young adults that charged their phones in Kiely's car during the party?

Who took the photo of Kiely at 6 in the store?
Was it from Kiely's own phone, or the person that took the photo?
Where did they go after the store until they arrived at the party near 10?
Was the photographer one of the young adults that charged their phones in Kiely's car during the party?
Store cameras maybe?

Just caught up again.
A few points I've seen in the last several pages:

The last ping being near water - in the press conference yesterday, the officer did say it was near water, but followed up with something along the lines of it was as close to land as it was to water. The party area was near water. I just take that as the ping was where the party was held, which happens to be near water, and they haven't been able to narrow down the ping beyond that. imo

The necklaces and the sweater - I don't see a problem with LE stating to BOLO these items when they aren't 100% sure she was wearing them. That cctv photo was taken 4 hours previous to KR going to the party. She could have put her necklaces on after. The hoodie potentially was in her car, she could have put it on before going home... the photo of the crowd at the party shows most ppl wearing jackets/sweaters.
If she was wearing these items and they are found, then that's a huge clue. If she wasn't wearing these items so they aren't found then... no harm done? Imo

Sorry for not quoting posts - there were several on these topics

I did'nt follow every bit of the investigation, but I did'nt see any Press conference that indicated that they had proof that KR was at the party.. Should it not have been said, or maybe I missed one that does confirm that they know she was actually there. They talk about her phone though. Does that necessarily mean she was there ?

A lead in the disappearance of Tahoe teen Kiely Rodni turned into another dead end as the FBI spent a day meticulously digging up a "potential burial site" that turned out to contain only a dog.

Once again, a frustrating tip — law enforcement have so far received over 1,200 — failed to bring loved ones any closer to finding Kiely. The 16-year-old Truckee girl has been missing more than a week, vanishing seemingly without a trace from a campground party on August 6.

<snip>

Captain Sam Brown of the Nevada County Sheriff's Office confirmed that the last known ping from Kiely's cell phone was around 12:30 a.m. on August 6, the day she went missing from a party of over 200-300 teens and young adults at the Prosser Family Campground in Truckee. According to mother Lindsey Rodni-Nieman, Kiely sent her a final text that said she would be "straight home" in about 45 minutes. A friend said Kiely planned on spending the night at the campground and was too intoxicated to drive.

Brown said the last ping was near Prosser Lake, a manmade reservoir that surrounds the campground, but it's possible due to lost data that the phone continued to ping after 12:30 a.m. "The ping for the data points was near the water. It's hard to tell an exact pinpoint," Brown said. "Just as much on land as it was on water."

Swimmers and divers have been deployed day after day at the lake. Brown said its deepest point is about 57 feet and visibility is challenging. "A diving operation like that is almost like you're going into the water blind, and you're basically searching with hands," he said. "Because once you start maneuvering the ground, it's like going through mud. These are tough operations."

“She has multiple piercings and a tattoo of the number 17 on her ribs.”

Does anyone know the significance of “17?”

The few images from the party seem like they’re standing around watching something? They’re not sitting and chilling. They’re also wearing sweatshirts/jackets.

I really do think if she drove anywhere herself, with her phone, she would have plugged it in her car. I think the phone was discarded into the reservoir.

“She has multiple piercings and a tattoo of the number 17 on her ribs.”

Does anyone know the significance of “17?”

The few images from the party seem like they’re standing around watching something? They’re not sitting and chilling. They’re also wearing sweatshirts/jackets.

I really do think if she drove anywhere herself, with her phone, she would have plugged it in her car. I think the phone was discarded into the reservoir.
She was likely intoxicated though, so she may not have plugged her phone in as usual. Also, from what I can gather, cell phones struggle to communicate when they are under water (ignoring water intrusion which would ultimately destroy the phone).

Assuming she did drive into the water, her phone could have been plugged in but the phone would stop pinging before ultimately dying.

Interview with Kiely's Mum and Step-dad.

Reporter - Kiely's mum says the last time she heard from her daughter was at the party, when Kiely sent her a text saying she was getting ready to leave, and Lindsey, her mum, said she knew something was wrong.

Kiely's mum and step-dad, Tony, spoke to me about their daughter, who she is as a person, how they're getting through this last week plus, going into 2 weeks, excruciating days, and those working countless hours to try to find their daughter.

Tell me Lindsey - What has it been like in terms of the authorities? and who's involved now in the search?

Mum - We have, it seems, like a very extensive collaboration of local, state and federal authorities that have been working together since, at least, Monday, days are blending. Everyone's on the same page, everybody is working tirelessly and together, and from our standpoint it feels good to see the connection and the collaboration between all of the different agencies that are here.

Reporter - You know Lindsey, I can't even put myself in your shoes. I'm thankful that you're speaking to us and I hope we get this out there, and it must feel surreal, like you're floating here and not knowing what will happen next.

Tony, this was a senior party, as I understand, we were talking earlier, do any of the kids know anything, or are they speaking out?

Step-dad - Some of the kids are, some of the kids aren't. We're trying to get to the kids that aren't speaking, because they're the ones that have the story that we need. We're trying to get....

Reporter - Sorry to interrupt, do you think they do know more? Describe the community for those of us who don't know - Is it tight-knit? Does everyone know of people, at least, that they didn't know exactly who it was? The party was what 200, 300 people?

Step-dad - Yeah, from my understanding, there was a really big party and there was people from all over. So, it's you know....we are a small, tight knit community. We are also hugely accessed from a lot of other really big communities very easily. So, with social media the way it is these days, it's very easy for anybody to find out where these kids could be hanging out.

Reporter - And Lindsey, tell us about the last communication you had with Kiely, your daughter. You were texting right?

Mum - Yeah, we were texting. We text a lot throughout, you know, through every day. We have a lot of communication between the two of us. The very last text that I got from her, was at 11.30, the night of the party, saying that she was planning on leaving in about 45 minutes, and would be heading home. One of the reasons, even that she had sent that text then, was because originally we had planned, and agreed upon, a 12.30 curfew for the night, and so, leaving at 12.15 would have put her home at about 12.45 instead. And she wa...is so good at always reaching out and checking in, that she did that just to let me know that she was just planning on being 13 minutes late.

Reporter - And you said be careful, like all mum's do, and how did she respond?

Mum - She said 'I will momma, I love you'.

Reporter - How Lindsey, are you getting through the day? Is the focus on the search, of course, and like Tony said, I mean, there's so much with social media, that hopefully you can piece together some of the pieces.

Mum - Yeah, I get through the days with the support of my community, my family, my friends, my faith, I hope. My knowledge that the reason that we have not found anything is not for a lack of resources or effort, or want. I....

Reporter - Lindsey, we've seen her image, the nation has seen Kiely - Describe her personality, what she's like.

Mum - She's wonderful, she's funny and smart, and tenacious, a little bit of a spitfire. She's everything that is wonderful about a teenage girl. She is turning into this strong woman with her own thoughts and convictions and she's not afraid to share those. She is open and loving to everyone. I was just talking with somebody else about her connection to so so so many people across the board and whatever that is. She has so many interests that she can make quick connections with pretty much anybody she meets, almost immediately, whether it's talking about food and baking recipes, or it's about hockey, or it's about playing the violin, or where it's about country music, where it's about.....

Step-dad - Cars and....

Mum - Cars, yeah. Her driving show mobiles, going fishing and camping, you know, going into the city, visiting museums. Yeah she....

Reporter - 16 years old. What are her plans? I'm trying to picture myself at that age, at this party. You never think anything could happen. Did she have plans the next day, and what did it look like after graduation? What were the plans leading up to that?

Mum - Yeah, so her plans - She did have plans for the next day, she was going to be going camping with three other kids. We had actually talked about even those plans on Friday morning, the last time that I saw her, that we checked in. And her plans for the future, because she has so many interests about so many things really, her two primary interests and passions are science and music, and so she still is in the process of deciding if she wants to pursue a career in medicine - being a surgeon, or if she wants to pursue a career in music and both of them, you know, we have been supporting her, in just this journey, of finding what path forward will fulfil her most, and her spirit as a human in life.

Reporter - She just sounds like a wonderful person, as I know she is. Tony, when the cameras aren't around and...are you piecing together, kind of, her closest friends? Have you been in contact with them? Are they giving you any hope here?

(Mum starts to speak)

Step-dad - Yeah, we are all kind of giving each other hope. We lean against each other to help get through this tough time.

Reporter - Go ahead Lindsey, sorry.

Mum - Her dear dear friends are dear to us and dear to our heart and close. We're keeping, as Tony was saying, we're all staying close together right now and sharing love and sharing stories, and sharing laughter and tears.

Reporter - And I did read that there's kind of like a teen group, am I right? searching for her? Like, a group of teens, and I believe it was someone, the local authority was saying, that he found that promising.

Mum - Yeah, the teen response in this area, in our community, has been overwhelming. I think that these teenagers who are are coming forward, at large, are doing so from this well of courage that they're drawing from within themselves. And I think that, you know, that our youth deserve a lot of praise and recognition that they're coming forward in a very courageous way. This is hard for everyone and you know, it's scary to do hard things sometimes. It's scary to....it's scary to face this, head on, and they are doing so like champions.

Reporter - And, I would say, just speaking to both of you, that you both are too. There really are no words to say. I hope that we can get the word out here, and our love and thoughts are with you both and we hope that Kiely comes home soon. Thank you.

Last edited:
Brown said the last ping was near Prosser Lake, a manmade reservoir that surrounds the campground, but it's possible due to lost data that the phone continued to ping after 12:30 a.m. "The ping for the data points was near the water. It's hard to tell an exact pinpoint," Brown said. "Just as much on land as it was on water."

This comment - and the correction to add "just as much on land" - made me think of the local poster (apologies, I'm forgetting your user name at the moment) who talked with the FBI as they were canvassing and said the FBI was adamant about the party being in a particular spot close to the water (whereas the local resident had strong reason to believe that the party was a bit deeper in the woods). I wonder if the FBI's assertion is based off of where they tracked the final ping to; and that "just as much on land as it was on water" is because of the way that the water cuts into the land at various points there?

This comment - and the correction to add "just as much on land" - made me think of the local poster (apologies, I'm forgetting your user name at the moment) who talked with the FBI as they were canvassing and said the FBI was adamant about the party being in a particular spot close to the water (whereas the local resident had strong reason to believe that the party was a bit deeper in the woods). I wonder if the FBI's assertion is based off of where they tracked the final ping to; and that "just as much on land as it was on water" is because of the way that the water cuts into the land at various points there?
I think it's because cell phone tower triangulation (pings) is not as accurate as GPS, and neither is 100% accurate esp when in mountainous areas. Sometimes they can detect a phone's location within 10' and other times it could be several hundred feet or more away, if not further. Here's an article from the FCC on the technology.

At this time, I don't know if they have been able to subpoena her actual cell phone records to track her device from app use as usually they can only do that when they think a crime has been committed. Apps like Google Maps and such would have more accurate data if they use GPS, from what I've read.

So they probably obtained a ping's location and if you go 100' in either direction, you could be in water or on land, I'm guessing.

https://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/911/Apps Wrkshp 2015/911_Help_SMS_WhitePaper0515.pdf

EXACTLY! teens are generally so fast to post about these parties to show off and here we see nothing.
I’m not so sure the gatherings/parties at this particular place are routinely posted. There may be a kind of right of passing aspect to attendance, too.
Clearly the adults and LE had no idea what was going on out there.
It is after all commonly referred to as The Sanctuary- which in my mind would indicate it’s considered a protected space for hanging out, partaking in all kinds of activities in a kid trusted environment. There may be an unspoken code amongst the kids something like- what happens in the Sanctuary stays in the Sanctuary.
This was not the first rodeo out there. May have been the largest but not the first.

Also, to piggyback on my post above about the phone pings and GPS, I recently enabled all location tracking on my cell phone best I could, esp with Google, out of curiosity. Google now sends me weekly stats of where I traveled. I lead a boring life. I've made several visits over the past month to our veterinarian's office. Google uses GPS, I believe, and on my recent report, it NEVER displays that I was at their office. It puts up a little marker inside the middle of the building across the street, say a few hundred feet away. And then there's a marker several hundred feet down the road as I drive there or drive home. I spent some time researching the technology that Google uses and most sites say even Google's tracking is not 100% accurate.

A lead in the disappearance of Tahoe teen Kiely Rodni turned into another dead end as the FBI spent a day meticulously digging up a "potential burial site" that turned out to contain only a dog.

Once again, a frustrating tip — law enforcement have so far received over 1,200 — failed to bring loved ones any closer to finding Kiely. The 16-year-old Truckee girl has been missing more than a week, vanishing seemingly without a trace from a campground party on August 6.

<snip>

Captain Sam Brown of the Nevada County Sheriff's Office confirmed that the last known ping from Kiely's cell phone was around 12:30 a.m. on August 6, the day she went missing from a party of over 200-300 teens and young adults at the Prosser Family Campground in Truckee. According to mother Lindsey Rodni-Nieman, Kiely sent her a final text that said she would be "straight home" in about 45 minutes. A friend said Kiely planned on spending the night at the campground and was too intoxicated to drive.

Swimmers and divers have been deployed day after day at the lake. Brown said its deepest point is about 57 feet and visibility is challenging. "A diving operation like that is almost like you're going into the water blind, and you're basically searching with hands," he said. "Because once you start maneuvering the ground, it's like going through mud. These are tough operations."
Friend says that KR going to sleep at the campground. Would she do this without her mom’s permission?

I’m not so sure the gatherings/parties at this particular place are routinely posted. There may be a kind of right of passing aspect to attendance, too.
Clearly the adults and LE had no idea what was going on out there.
It is after all commonly referred to as The Sanctuary- which in my mind would indicate it’s considered a protected space for hanging out, partaking in all kinds of activities in a kid trusted environment. There may be an unspoken code amongst the kids something like- what happens in the Sanctuary stays in the Sanctuary.
This was not the first rodeo out there. May have been the largest but not the first.
BBM...I think you may be right, but I think there is an equally good chance that a lot of these kids' parents probably spent many weekends there as teens themselves, and only difference is that their kids are drinking hard liquor as opposed to PBR's, and weed is far from the only drug available now. So maybe they SHOULD have some idea what goes on there. Also, I know I am probably just an old fart, but if I had a teen, especially an underage one, that was asking permission to go to a place like this, I would make it my business to try to find out what goes on out there. If the community is as close-knit as they paint it, doesn't it seem likely that enough anecdotal stories would be out there for parents to figure it out? Of course, not every kid is going to ask permission before going.

I also wonder if local LE tended to turn a blind eye up until now, as nothing bad seems to have happened before, and the kids generally are not known to be troublemakers. JMO

Last edited:
Good post, @wnk. So let’s make a mini timeline of KR’s evening.
6:08 pm Video shows KR in a store in Truckee. LE
9:45 pm KR and a friend arrive at the party near Prosser Campground.
9:55 pm KR’s friend leaves the party with her boyfriend. (Some reports say she left after 30 minutes, others say 10 minutes.)
11:00 pm KR, SS, and some other unks are in KR’s vehicle charging phones or ?
11:30 pm KR calls her mom, asks for a curfew extension, and says she’ll leave for home at
12:15 am. Mom says okay.

12:00 midnight one of KR’s friends places her still at the party
12:25 KR and SS say goodbye in person and SS leaves the party telling KR she is getting a ride from someone else because she thinks KR is too intoxicated to drive.
12:30 am KR is still at the party. LE.
12:33 am KR’s phone goes silent. LE
12:36 am KR calls SS and asks SS where she is at and asks if she is driving her, SS, home. (SS in contradiction to LE’s report that KR’s phone was unresponsive by this time.)

Questions:
What did KR do between 6:08 and 9:45 when she arrived at the party?
What time did KR bump into SS and the others before going to KR’s car at 11:00 pm?? Did SS know these people? Did KR?
(I can picture a scenario where one of them said, “Hey, I just scored some weed, (coke, whatever), let’s go to KR’S car and get high” as opposed to “Let’s all go to KR’s car and charge our phones.)
How long did they stay in the car? Was this when KR realized she was running late and texted her Mom for the curfew extension?
After the 11:00 pm car get together, where did KR go? Did she wander away from the others who were in the car? Who was she talking with?
Was KR alone when EP saw her at midnight?
At what point did SS decide that KR was too intoxicated to drive and secure another ride home?
SS has to know her timing of the 12:36 call does not coincide with LE’s time of the phone shutting off. Why has this not been clarified?
I'm very curious who reported seeing Kiely at the party at 12 midnight.
I'm looking for some kind of corroboration for the reports of SS.
At one point SS talks of "a few other friends" being in Kiely's car...who were these "friends"?
My gut says this was an unfortunate party accident, and the kids panicked and drove the car somewhere, not too far away, to hide all the evidence. I'm thinking a dose of Percocet (street variety, tainted) meant to chase away a headache. Our community had an unusually high number of OD cases that weekend (I'm about 100 miles west). They're kids.
This fits with the inquiry about KR's necklaces...if they show up somewhere, it would point toward motives and reactions. Respect for her person would leave her jewelry on her person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong