Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is the same for every generation in all the US (with the exception of todays social media). I snickered at the "glory days" explanation. The only other thing I have been taken back on is the "fight club" spectator fight. I don't think I have seen this or heard of this.
It is going to sound as though I grew up in some terrible place, think a sleepy town of a couple thousand ppl with cowfields and pretty fall foliage lol, but it was actually the girls who were more likely to fight when I was young. Not exactly in the way SS described these "boxing glove" matches, but those parties in the woods when I grew up were a time when all kinds of cliques crossed paths. For example, a quarterback might decide he wanted to hook up with a girl who was not from a popular group, and then all hell would break loose at the next party when his girlfriend and her friends would look for that girl and chase her through the woods, sometimes in a 4WD vehicle.

It crossed my mind briefly that some kind of drama like this may have unfolded, but I'm sure if it did there would have been witnesses and signs of it.

It is going to sound as though I grew up in some terrible place, think a sleepy town of a couple thousand ppl with cowfields and pretty fall foliage lol, but it was actually the girls who were more likely to fight when I was young. Not exactly in the way SS described these "boxing glove" matches, but those parties in the woods when I grew up were a time when all kinds of cliques crossed paths. For example, a quarterback might decide he wanted to hook up with a girl who was not from a popular group, and then all hell would break loose at the next party when his girlfriend and her friends would look for that girl and chase her through the woods, sometimes in a 4WD vehicle.

It crossed my mind briefly that some kind of drama like this may have unfolded, but I'm sure if it did there would have been witnesses and signs of it.

*theme from Deliverance popped into my head upon reading your post..

A fellow New Englander! I no longer live there, but I too grew up and partied wicked 'hahd' in rural New England. I'm a Boomer. But just like you describe, this was the way folks socialized, acted out, and managed emotional pain and angst.

There was no internet, no cell phones, etc. We heard about where the parties were each night by word of mouth or good 'ol land lines. We drove in all sorts of states of mind, often with passengers, and most not wearing seat belts back then.

Some raced on back roads late at night with no fear, including myself (a teenage girl then). And sadly for a time (circa 1976-78), it seemed like we lost a friend almost every weekend, or at least once a month, to a fatal accident. :(

So back to dear KR. I am not wasting my time pining about these kids partying in the woods, or how their parents enable or are ignorant to that behavior. To me it seems strangely familiar. Having been in KR's shoes, I am trying to figure out what she did around 12:15 / 12:30am that night - and why no one has said anything? IMO, she was simply going home alone.

The only other possibility that fits for me is someone she talked with coming up and offering to drive her car for her or give her a ride.

I would really like to know more about the timing of the young man who said he was parked beside her SUV and it was there when he fell asleep, but not when he woke up. Did he spend the entire night or just sleep a little to sober up enough to drive? When did he fall asleep and when did he wake up? Can anyone or anything, like cell phone use or entry to his vehicle corroborate?

Did he fall asleep before or after that last ping?

In terms of the camground at Prosser and the theories of the car going into the water. I've done a fair bit of fishing out there, with the water level receding in the summer, the dirt closest to the water becomes VERY soft and muddy. You sink up to your shins in most areas. I'd imagine if KR or someone attempted to drive her car into the lake it would get stuck prior to being submerged, just my opinion though. Maybe there's area with firmer ground, and there's a couple boat ramps in the area.

There's many miles of forest service roads (mostly dirt) in the area of the campground. You could technically leave the campground and not ever drive back to highway 89. You could make your way north to Sierraville, or east to Reno. I wonder how many of these roads have been serached for the missing car. In the summer, people camp off these roads, there's lots of dead-ends and remote areas to park a van, RV or hide a car. It's all "dispersed" camping, no registering or record keeping.

If I can answer questions, or take photos of any areas, let me know.
The interesting area would the ramp just next to the paved parking where the party was- would she have left tracks or been stuck there based on current water levels?

There is a ramp right there and her phone last pinged right there...

For anyone with SAR and/or diving experience: I’m thinking the only way they can find a car in a lake in this situation, where there’s close to zero visibility and it may have sunk partially or fully into the bottom sediments, is for divers to swim a tight grid of the bottom with probe sticks, feeling for a solid object beneath them. Which could take a long time. Is that crazy? Is there some other way? Would sonar return pick up a solid vehicle if it had inches of silt floating above it?
In the AWP (and others') recoveries I've watched so far, none of the vehicles was completely buried in silt. If it's partially buried, the part that is sticking out is still detectable with sonar. The longer that it is underwater, the more silt accumulates around it. I'm not sure that her vehicle would "sink" into the sediment after such a short time. If all the potential accident locations along her route home can be searched, there's a good chance she'll be found.

Many laws mean nothing, apparently. A 12:30 am curfew when 16 y/olds can't drive after 11 pm. Driving friends around when a 16 y/o cannot drive anyone under 20. An 18 y/o legal adult doing shots with a 16 y/o. Etc.

Maybe laws are more of a suggestion in those parts. jmo
Have you had teenagers? They do what they want.

The cell phone ping is frustrating.

Cell phones do not continually ping towers and depend on the provider for rate etc.
The pings generally come from communications (text, calls, emails) , connecting to a new tower, or shutting down. It that area, you probably don't have to go far before either losing connection or communicatiing to a new tower. I did not reference the times, however, I thought her text to her mother was about the time of the last ping. This means that there wasn't any know connection after that, and it probably occurred at the lake.

It would be interesting to know if the cell phone service she had covers the area leaving the camp ground (at hwy 89 for example). This might be why they seem to focus on Prosser lake. If the phone had a charge and was turned on, there is a pretty good chance that a new tower would have been seen quickly on the road.

The only other possibility that fits for me is someone she talked with coming up and offering to drive her car for her or give her a ride.

I would really like to know more about the timing of the young man who said he was parked beside her SUV and it was there when he fell asleep, but not when he woke up. Did he spend the entire night or just sleep a little to sober up enough to drive? When did he fall asleep and when did he wake up? Can anyone or anything, like cell phone use or entry to his vehicle corroborate?

Did he fall asleep before or after that last ping?
And what time he arrived at his home? (And cell phone locations?)

I would also like to see a link regarding creme brûlée shots/pudding. It seems that this theory has now become gospel here. It may be true, but I'm not banking on it. While I know this might fall into the missing hours (to us) before the party, it is still speculation and should be mentioned as such going forward.
As far has been reported, Kiely was at a friends house making creme brûlée and only creme brûlée. She has an interest in cooking, as stated by her mother.

“I can’t get it out of my head. That’s why I’m here, because you just feel like you want to do something, anything,” said Cindy Shippy, owner of Chá Fine Teas of Truckee, where Rodni works. “She’s a strong [young woman]. She really is. She’s a strong personality. And … my only hope is she’s somewhere where we’ve just got to find her, because she would be tough wherever she is … She was the girl that all of her friends came to for strength and I’m sure her friends are completely devastated.”
*I missed that she had a job. Could this tea shop be the surveillance still? *eta:No, prob not. I see clothes hanging. I forgot about them. What is the black icon looking thing on the white shirt hanging on the rod?
<p>The Placer County Sheriff’s Office released a picture from surveillance footage of a local business that shows what Kiely was wearing before she vanished.</p>

The Placer County Sheriff’s Office released a picture from surveillance footage of a local business that shows what Kiely was wearing before she vanished.
Replying to myself for ease in explanation. I think it is the Tea Shop. the clothing threw me off. See the clothes rack in this Google Maps photo:

*No, it may be the Truckee Food Shop in the same shopping plaza. I went looking for the parking lot with the photo dated July 2022 and I thought I saw her car parked at work. Prob not but it was enough for me to keep looking at all the businesses around her work.

Last edited:
I would also like to see a link regarding creme brûlée shots/pudding. It seems that this theory has now become gospel here. It may be true, but I'm not banking on it. While I know this might fall into the missing hours (to us) before the party, it is still speculation and should be mentioned as such going forward.
As far has been reported, Kiely was at a friends house making creme brûlée and only creme brûlée. She has an interest in cooking, as stated by her mother.
Exactly! There seems to be too much speculation, which inevitably seems to turn in to fact. Theories are awesome to read but they are far from being fact. As the above poster indicated, K’s mom said one of K’s interests was cooking and such has been previously linked.
Additionally, would it be possible to provide a link for KR’s mother when she indicated that the grammar was off in KR’s text message?

Last edited:
Sad to say but my gut feeling is that she is in the water. This is just my opinion, but since her last cellphone ping was very close to the lake edge is seems likely to me. Occam's razor.
I once had the experience of driving too fast (i.e. 20 miles an hour) on a Forest Service Road. I almost spun off the road. If KR was going a bit fast and braked suddenly for a deer/bear/cougar (real or imaginary), she'd easily spin off the road. In the blackness of night, the odds of "seeing a deer" (real or imaginary) are very high in those woods, and if you've had a little much, even a teensy weensy bit of a little much....

Maybe Kiely herself wanted that extra time -- to sober up before driving home.

Fair chance she drove away with only running lights. Fair chance she had windows or the moonroof open.

By my read of the map, if she flubs her first turn coming out the party, she's on blacktop headed staight for the boat launch. All the sad stars are aligned for directional challenge -- night is dark, she's impaired.

If she thinks she's well on the way, for the long straightaway home, she well could have been airborne before she realized she'd run out of road.

A lot of ways for the night to go wrong but IMO one wrong turn sealed her fate.

I think she turned right, not left, on Hwy 89 and followed the short dragontail right into the reservoir.

JMO
I agree that she likely drove straight into the lake shortly after the party, but can’t locate your idea on the map. There’s the Old Hwy 89 that runs straight into the lake going W to E. Then there’s the campground road that heads straight onto the boat launch and into the lake going S to N. Which one are you looking at?

OK, so she txted mom at 11:30 pm to say she would be late. Sounds OK.
Said she would leave at 12:15am. OK
Last ping picked up at 12:30am...

How long would it take her to get home?
How far away was she from home?
Did she ever hang out at this park before?
How many of the 200-300 people at this party did she know? - big red flag to me

If her last ping was 12:30am, it is unlikely she was on her way home, as she should have left already. I think someone at that party knows something.
its been gone over but it takes 20ish min to get home, 12 miles from home on winding roads, yes she has and this was a larger crowd than normal.

Update

"Search for California teenager Kiely Rodni, 16, is SCALED BACK after a week of 'dead-end leads' and put out second appeal for sightings of her Honda SUV."

Replying to myself for ease in explanation. I think it is the Tea Shop. the clothing threw me off. See the clothes rack in this Google Maps photo:

*No, it may be the Truckee Food Shop in the same shopping plaza. I went looking for the parking lot with the photo dated July 2022 and I thought I saw her car parked at work. Prob not but it was enough for me to keep looking at all the businesses around her work.

Check out the Tahoe Sports Hub and let me know what you think. It looks like the entrance as the feet on the clothes racks match in shape and the large things on the right could be the cases for the sunglasses. Floor color seems to match as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member