Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that she likely drove straight into the lake shortly after the party, but can’t locate your idea on the map. There’s the Old Hwy 89 that runs straight into the lake going W to E. Then there’s the campground road that heads straight onto the boat launch and into the lake going S to N. Which one are you looking at?
Left on 89 takes her toward home, if I'm reading the map right. Going left would feel the same, I imagine. Hardtop. Curvy. But ends 2 minutes later at the Prosser boat launch.

She may have felt sobered up a bit, she may have felt sober enough to drive, she may have simply gotten turned around, heading the wrong way on 89. Driving in the dark, thinking you're on the main road home, at anything approaching highway speeds, no one expects the road to just disappear beneath you.

In my opinion, Kiely could've been in deep water within minutes of leaving the party.

JMverysadO

Last edited:
I thought the same thing- she may have left that camp and made an error somewhere else on the way home. That road to the lodge would be murder at night.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but the road to the lodge is a straight shot once she unlocks the gate (see my other post). It's slight up hill, then pretty straight forward to the lodge. It's wooded, but like most of the Tahoe area, there isn't any underbrush (we don't get much rain), there's just mostly large trees. I've ridden my bike down the road to the lodge since she went missing, her car is not off the road anywhere. It would be very obvious.

I'm not talking about the kids. Kids will do what they want if you let them. I'm talking about the legal adults that give permission for these kids to break the law.

All teenagers do things like this behind their parents' backs. We all snuck around and did something we weren't supposed to at that age. These kids are doing all this with their parents' permission. jmo
BBM oh, understood!

I may be wrong, but I believe it was AWP who reached out to local LE, after having several people reach out to them on social media, rather than LE reaching out to them. However, I am sure LE are glad to have them, and I agree, if she is in the water, and I believe that she is, they have the best chance of finding her. According to their social media, they hope to be in Truckee by Friday. JMO

Since this is their first case that is not cold, I doubt many LE agencies even know who they are. The good thing is that since they work with LE on their cold cases, they can get good references from them.

It's really crazy that they've been successful on 23 cold case in such a short period of time, and I mean REALLY crazy. Maybe in time, they can expand and teach others their secrets to success and they will be used on more cases.

Welcome! One question I've had since the beginning for anyone local is what is the chance that she could have accidentally driven easily into a body of water other than Prosser? Stampede and Boca wouldn't be on her route home, but of course she could have made some bad driving decisions and headed north instead of south, and it seems like the chance that she'd wind up on a road or ATV path that leads right to the water at either of those might be slim (compared to, say, just driving round and round on roads lined with trees).

What are your thoughts on a wrong turn landing someone in Donner Lake, or the Cold Creek area near her home, or even what looks like industrial lakes off of 80 between McDonalds and Taco Bell?
Anything is possible. The easiest way to drive into Donner Lake would be the boat ramp towards the west end. There's a ton of houses on Donner Lake, someone would have a camera that saw a car going into the lake. You could drive into the lake off the Donner Pass Rd, but the water doesnt exactly touch the road, so you'd crash hard before hitting the water.

The small lake bewteen the McDonalds and Taco Bell is really tough to get to. I don't think you could drive into it.

There is a lake on the dirt road to the lodge, but it has brush all around it. It's very unlikely. I might go over there later and snap some photos.

Oof … Donner Lake is so very close to the route she would take home and has depths of almost 350 ft.

How thorough has LE been at searching Donner or has the focus only been on Prosser?

I have only seen reference to Prosser for searches but I don't know for sure. But yeah, Donner is much larger.

Welcome! One question I've had since the beginning for anyone local is what is the chance that she could have accidentally driven easily into a body of water other than Prosser? Stampede and Boca wouldn't be on her route home, but of course she could have made some bad driving decisions and headed north instead of south, and it seems like the chance that she'd wind up on a road or ATV path that leads right to the water at either of those might be slim (compared to, say, just driving round and round on roads lined with trees).

What are your thoughts on a wrong turn landing someone in Donner Lake, or the Cold Creek area near her home, or even what looks like industrial lakes off of 80 between McDonalds and Taco Bell?
As a Truckee local, I don't think she accidentally drove into water. If the car's hidden after an accident, I think deep brush is more likely. but the searches have been extensive. and S&R here is very experienced from doing countless searches for missing hikers, skiers, boaters, etc. due to the huge number of outdoor recreational activities here.

If she's in water, I personally believe it's because there was foul play and her car and body were dumped. Then Boca and Stampede seem plausible because the car apparently has not shown up on any video around here. Maybe not everyone checked their cameras. There are a HUGE number of Ring / Nest cameras here due to the wealth, absence (second homeowners) and vacation rentals. Probably there are not any cameras though on those remote roads between Prosser and Boca or Stampede. so IF there was foul play and IF the perp knows the area, it's plausible the evidence was disposed of in any of those bodies of water.

Hello all! I haven't read all of the posts so please forgive me if I repeat anything previously mentioned. My thought is Kiely being impaired by alcohol did as so many before her have done. She attempted to drive herself home. Alcohol impairs judgment and despite Kiely being an intelligent young lady, she's no different than most of us when it comes to being inebriated. For those of us who drink or drank and have found ourselves under the influence, we all know we believed we could do more than we were actually able to because of the false sense of confidence. Anyway, let's assume (because it's what we're all doing at this time) she drove herself home.

Initially Kiely may have been feeling alert and capable of making the trip as she set out. I imagine the route she would have taken to her home on Cold Stream Drive was rural and dark. The I-89 I-80 intersection was about the halfway point. I-89 would have been easier navigation for Kiely but I-80 would have been more challenging. Perhaps after driving a while she grew tired and may have dozed off. Or maybe she swerved to avoid wildlife. Either way, her vehicle may have gone off the road enough distance to be hidden from sight along the roadway. An accident would also explain her phone no longer working as it may have been damaged during the accident. I hope authorities and searchers are looking just as feverishly near her home than they are near the Prosser Family Campground.

<modsnip - no link from an approved source to statement made as fact>

Finally, if the vehicle had less than a full tank of gas it would probably be limited to a 400 mile radius before needing to be refueled. If the vehicle is still on the road, I hope it will be recognized by somebody refueling. I'm hoping a license plate reader will capture the vehicle's plates.

However, based on what happened in San Antonio, Texas, anything is possible! There, a woman had been missing for a week and nobody could find her. Not until a security officer at a busy shopping mall finally decided to check on a vehicle he had seen parked there for the past week with no activity. She was dead behind the wheel. Nobody noticed despite an all point bulletin and missing description of the vehicle flooding the community. Just sayin'...Occam's razor!

This is the quote about the grammar and punctuation of Kiely's last text to her mother. I find the commas out of place as being interesting considering Kiely is an advanced intelligent young lady graduating a year before her peers! I would expect her to have wrote: " OK mom, i love you too!" not: "OK, mom, I love you, too," Source: Mom of Missing Teen Kiely Rodni, 16, Shares Their Last Conversation: 'I Knew Something Was Wrong'

I'm not talking about the kids. Kids will do what they want if you let them. I'm talking about the legal adults that give permission for these kids to break the law.

All teenagers do things like this behind their parents' backs. We all snuck around and did something we weren't supposed to at that age. These kids are doing all this with their parents' permission. jmo
Yes true, however, she did just graduate high school and she is going to college next semester. Just playing devils advocate but she would be in college soon and exposed to those types of parties anyway. I’m actually thankful I partied in high school at a younger age instead of later in life because I found out my limits then- in a small, rural town which seems much safer than a large, out of control, college town.

This will sound odd, but I wonder where the girls were going when they had to pee? Is it possible she needed to pee again, (from all the drinking it sounds like they were doing) and somehow fell into water? Or at least dropped her phone and it fell into water? I would assume her body would have been found by now, but heading off to pee before driving home, or stopping along the way also could have put her in a vulnerable situation.

I asked my sister abt the iPhone finding thing she uses and she says it works when phones are off and/or the battery is dead. Can anyone confirm? Maybe we would need to know exactly which phone Kiely had to know if this is the case? And if the phone was in the lake, I'm pretty sure it would not work, but I'm not 100% sure. Any thoughts?

Anything is possible. The easiest way to drive into Donner Lake would be the boat ramp towards the west end. There's a ton of houses on Donner Lake, someone would have a camera that saw a car going into the lake. You could drive into the lake off the Donner Pass Rd, but the water doesnt exactly touch the road, so you'd crash hard before hitting the water.

The small lake bewteen the McDonalds and Taco Bell is really tough to get to. I don't think you could drive into it.

There is a lake on the dirt road to the lodge, but it has brush all around it. It's very unlikely. I might go over there later and snap some photos.
Thanks for that info!

In this screenshot from Google Maps, is my red arrow pointing to train tracks?

1660681724735.png

I agree that she likely drove straight into the lake shortly after the party, but can’t locate your idea on the map. There’s the Old Hwy 89 that runs straight into the lake going W to E. Then there’s the campground road that heads straight onto the boat launch and into the lake going S to N. Which one are you looking at?

Here's a map

OK, maybe its time to go back to maps. Sorry I don't have the time to go back to T1 or T2 to retrieve others' maps previously posted. So here is my version from Google Maps.
  • You can see the 30 minute highway route or Alder Creek Road route (no I-80, see purple arrow I drew).
  • I've circled (pink) most of the bodies of water in the area, including a mall ponds (?) near the lodge.
  • I have also circled the Donner Pass area in yellow where elevations and mountain roads could pose a significant challenge for many people who got lost up there - or intentionally went up there for reasons we've discussed.

KR Case Map.jpg

I would also like to see a link regarding creme brûlée shots/pudding. It seems that this theory has now become gospel here. It may be true, but I'm not banking on it. While I know this might fall into the missing hours (to us) before the party, it is still speculation and should be mentioned as such going forward.
As far has been reported, Kiely was at a friends house making creme brûlée and only creme brûlée. She has an interest in cooking, as stated by her mother.

The 2 or 3 friends who have made public statements have the right to not incriminate themselves. We do not know what the broulee story is in full. The reporter may have protected further details in keeping with off the record protocol and with LE’s declared policy of not pursuing illegal activity.
Clearly given the circumstances IMO it seems less than transparent that the context and hours and purpose of creme broulee making were not also divulged. The murky crème broulee statement came from a person identified as her best friend. So… for some reason the bigger picture details are missing.
And not to criticize or disparage anyone but it is apparent that Kiely had interests and relationships her mother/parents were not fully aware of and have no bearing on her rights to be respected and protected, not glibly cast aside as simply not useful as a ride home driver while in an apparently vulnerable condition. Is that just self interest speaking or bordering on whatever a total lack of empathy would sound like?

There’s a lot more to the stories.Thank goodness local LE now has time to conduct in depth interviews and nail down leads.

One last question for you - a few of us have brought up the Chrissy Powell case here a few times. If you're not familiar with it, she went missing in the San Antonio area and was found 18 days later a few miles from home, a few miles from her job, in a busy shopping center parking lot between restaurants. Not in the back by rear entrances, but just out there in the center of it all to a degree. Security guards noticed the car early on but didn't investigate til almost 3 weeks later and they feel she was there the entire time. Do you know if people have extensively searched every parking lot in that area as best as possible? Her car could easily blend in with other parked cars and go unnoticed as well, and wouldn't stand out on aerial searches. Even lots of businesses where someone may say, "Oh she'd never be in a bank parking lot at 2am, or the industrial parking lot." Never know if she was feeling ill and pulled over somewhere.

I'm sure this has been mentioned in 3 threads but I can't keep up - does this feel like Abby from...NH? I think it was NH. And they ended up finding her 9 months later chained in some trailer.
no, it feels like she drove her car into water to me. the next reasonable hypothesis is OD then coverup. abduction is furthest from my mind.

Thanks for that info!

In this screenshot from Google Maps, is my red arrow pointing to train tracks?

View attachment 360017
Yes, those are train tracks. What you can't see in your screenshot, is that track connects to the one of the left side of your photo.if you were to follow the tracks down to the left, they circle around to the tracks on the top of the photo.

There's a small tunnel made of concrete that goes under the tracks, it's not in your photo. It would be down and to the left. You'd go through the tunnel to get to the lodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea