Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my previous posts I've mostly stuck to detailed information about the local terrian, and haven't given much opinion. I'd like to share some thoughts that I haven't seen in these threads... please let me know what you think.

• There's a lot of discussion about the boat ramps and accidently (or intentionally) driving into the water. Has anyone here ever searched for a vehicle in water? I have not, but I would assume the car floats for a short amount of time, until it fills with water, then it sinks. Wouldn't that mean the car would be submerged in the water directly at the end of the boat ramp? Seems very unlikely the car would float into the middle of the lake. I don't know though?
  • Drunk people lose things. It's very possible she lost her phone at the party. Maybe it fell out of her pocket, or into the lake, or someone stole it. It's possible she lost her phone, then got in the car and drove (or was driven) elsewhere.
  • It's been many many years, but I can recall what it's like to drive drunk. I'm certinly not proud of it. Even very drunk, I can't imagine driving directly into a lake and being unaware of it. I can imagine passing out at the wheel and going off the road, but that would happen after driving for some amount of time. If she drove from her parking spot into the lake, she'd have to be awake enough to start the car, put it in drive, step on the gas, then pass out almost instantly.
  • I think someone or multiple people at the party have information that has or hasn't reached LE. The fact that her car has not been found off the road on the most direct route she would have taken from the party to her home, makes me think something other than an isolated drunk driving accident occured. Like many of you, I partied a lot as teenager and young adult. I recall being at many parties that were winding down and spontanously changing plans from going home to going to another party, especially when I was under 21. "Joe's parents are out of town and they have alcohol, we're going there!!"

I'm not sure about the first, so like you, I'm going to also say "I don't know?"

Dropping her phone--one last pee break before heading out (home or wherever), was my immediate thought. Probably because I drop my phone all the time, and I never drink these days.

Driving impaired? Yes, years ago. Also not proud, but I have similar memories. Not a frequent occurrence, and perhaps not to the extent of what went on at this party. (I had a bit of a pot phase in my early 20s, but nothing harder.) I also owned manuals, as did my friends, so how on earth we managed to drive, inhale, etc and no one ever was hurt is amazing, right?

I thought of passing out in the context of someone possibly having slipped her something, since her friend frequently mentioned how they had been "drinking from the same" throughout the party. She never clarified what, if anything was meant by this, but just thinking through things it could mean.

Kiely is fairly thin though, and we have no idea what her tolerance/experience is. She could have done several shots near the end of the party, other things and then it all just hit her? As others have said, it would be helpful to hear more from the girl Elsa who saw her around midnight, and know more about her impressions, any interaction.

Have you ever partied at this place? How close to the water do people park? Is there any way she could have entered the water quickly and unnoticed right from where she was parked? Forgive me if this was already asked, I'm just trying to get a better mental image of the entire place.

In my previous posts I've mostly stuck to detailed information about the local terrian, and haven't given much opinion. I'd like to share some thoughts that I haven't seen in these threads... please let me know what you think.

• There's a lot of discussion about the boat ramps and accidently (or intentionally) driving into the water. Has anyone here ever searched for a vehicle in water? I have not, but I would assume the car floats for a short amount of time, until it fills with water, then it sinks. Wouldn't that mean the car would be submerged in the water directly at the end of the boat ramp? Seems very unlikely the car would float into the middle of the lake. I don't know though?
  • Drunk people lose things. It's very possible she lost her phone at the party. Maybe it fell out of her pocket, or into the lake, or someone stole it. It's possible she lost her phone, then got in the car and drove (or was driven) elsewhere.
  • It's been many many years, but I can recall what it's like to drive drunk. I'm certinly not proud of it. Even very drunk, I can't imagine driving directly into a lake and being unaware of it. I can imagine passing out at the wheel and going off the road, but that would happen after driving for some amount of time. If she drove from her parking spot into the lake, she'd have to be awake enough to start the car, put it in drive, step on the gas, then pass out almost instantly.
  • I think someone or multiple people at the party have information that has or hasn't reached LE. The fact that her car has not been found off the road on the most direct route she would have taken from the party to her home, makes me think something other than an isolated drunk driving accident occured. Like many of you, I partied a lot as teenager and young adult. I recall being at many parties that were winding down and spontanously changing plans from going home to going to another party, especially when I was under 21. "Joe's parents are out of town and they have alcohol, we're going there!!"

IMO I agree with all these possibilities. Another that I look at on the map is the possibility of driving out on the dam for a view. I remember in my younger years, if there was a dam it was a destination for the view.

I do think it is easy to either drive off the road or a boat ramp in an intoxicated state, particularly if distracted by cell phone car stereo etc. As a beginning driver and intoxicated, it takes a while for the brain to compute what's in front of he car.

It's cold almost everynight in Truckee, even in the summer. We're in the mountains, its common for it to be 80s during the day and 40s everynight.
Hi,

Thank you so much for your highly informative posts about the area.
I frequently pass through Truckee en route to Reno from the SF Bay Area (and for skiing at Northstar and the like), and know of the campground but it has been years since I’ve been there.

I wonder if you could comment on the clarity of the water in those lakes at this time. I’d imagine with all the snow melt done for the year it would be fairly clear, but maybe on a weekend with a lot of boat traffic it would be more turbid? Would welcome your opinion on that if you have any insight.

I'm bringing forward these incredibly insightful posts from a local, with maps, photos, and descriptions of the party area and boat ramp in question.

I highly recommend looking back at these posts as it will give people a better idea of the area. (And all previous threads- which can be daunting but we keep going in circles. It's tough when there doesn't seem much to go on..)
Also keep in mind as Redhaus posted, the moon apparently set around the time KR was supposed to be leaving. It would have been dark imo

Another thing to consider is if KR was taking substances (shrooms/weed edibles) or drank up until she left, the effects could have hit her while she was leaving or on her way to wherever.

I'm not saying I think this is what happened but it's just some more info.

I also highly recommend watching all of the press conferences. Lots of things we've been rehashing all week were addressed there. They are available on the Washoe County Sheriff Office YT.

Post in thread 'CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2' CA - CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2

Post in thread 'CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2' CA - CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2

This case is a real mystery! I did wonder about the car going into the water accidentally or foul play, but based on a few things:-

1. The slogan on one of the hoodies she had on that day - “You don’t want to be forgotten. You want to disappear.”

2. The ‘slip of the tongues’ made by her boyf/ex boyfriend and best friend :-
“(I) fully believe that the 2, three of us or other people are gonna bring her home safe”, and when her friend talks about being on the 89 and it sounds like she was about to imply she was driving, but then mentions being in the passenger seat.

3. They are have both really embedded themselves into the investigation in a very confident / assertive / taking control / level headed way - even using ‘we’ to mean them and the police, and
suggestions ‘leads’ could go through them ‘teen to teen’ rather than the tip line.

4. Her friend seems too close to just sort out her own ride home and leave Rodni drunk at that type of party.

5. Both adamant she is still alive, rather than hopeful - she said “Right now we believe that it is an abduction case ... she was in no state to drive and she wouldn’t have made it far or would have crashed,”, plus he said: “I don’t know where she is. We don’t have anything to go off of at this point. But, I fully believe that she’s alive and well.”

It all seems odd, and not the usual friends reaction / behaviour you see (ie panic/fear/tears)…so I was wondering if it maybe it was meant to have been a bit of a ‘joke/game’ that she was in on (like the family that hid their child), or she just wanted a few days ‘out’ to get away for a break? But then the media storm kicked off and now it is obvious they were drinking under age, so they are all (Rodni included) trying to work out how to ‘unravel’ it all in the best way to save them getting into big trouble for drinking and wasting time?

Wishful thinking and a very long shot, as all the above could be explained away, but just a thought.

(Refs: Kiely Rodni’s boyfriend breaks silence as search enters fifth day for missing teen ||
)

Last edited:
As to phone records, I’m wondering who the Carrier is, and whether or not it’s a family plan. I saw that her mom was able to see the phone’s last powered on location. I can access everyone’s record of phone calls and texts online in my family plan, with a slight delay. Text content does not appear, but it’s a pretty good roadmap of who people are talking to.
If she has a google email account - location can be traced if they can login to her email as well - unless she turned off tracking.

Tower dump would be pretty revealing also if they are able to get the warrant.

I'm bringing forward these incredibly insightful posts from a local, with maps, photos, and descriptions of the party area and boat ramp in question.

I highly recommend looking back at these posts as it will give people a better idea of the area. (And all previous threads- which can be daunting but we keep going in circles. It's tough when there doesn't seem much to go on..)
Also keep in mind as Redhaus posted, the moon apparently set around the time KR was supposed to be leaving. It would have been dark imo

Another thing to consider is if KR was taking substances (shrooms/weed edibles) or drank up until she left, the effects could have hit her while she was leaving or on her way to wherever.

I'm not saying I think this is what happened but it's just some more info.

I also highly recommend watching all of the press conferences. Lots of things we've been rehashing all week were addressed there. They are available on the Washoe County Sheriff Office YT.

Thank you so much! This was very helpful. I wish we could "sticky" it.

I'm not sure about the first, so like you, I'm going to also say "I don't know?"

Dropping her phone--one last pee break before heading out (home or wherever), was my immediate thought. Probably because I drop my phone all the time, and I never drink these days.

Driving impaired? Yes, years ago. Also not proud, but I have similar memories. Not a frequent occurrence, and perhaps not to the extent of what went on at this party. (I had a bit of a pot phase in my early 20s, but nothing harder.) I also owned manuals, as did my friends, so how on earth we managed to drive, inhale, etc and no one ever was hurt is amazing, right?

I thought of passing out in the context of someone possibly having slipped her something, since her friend frequently mentioned how they had been "drinking from the same" throughout the party. She never clarified what, if anything was meant by this, but just thinking through things it could mean.

Kiely is fairly thin though, and we have no idea what her tolerance/experience is. She could have done several shots near the end of the party, other things and then it all just hit her? As others have said, it would be helpful to hear more from the girl Elsa who saw her around midnight, and know more about her impressions, any interaction.

Have you ever partied at this place? How close to the water do people park? Is there any way she could have entered the water quickly and unnoticed right from where she was parked? Forgive me if this was already asked, I'm just trying to get a better mental image of the entire place.
I've never partied at this particular campground, but I've been to that area many times. I'm not sure they were at the actual campground, people park all around the "beach" on the side of the lake to lake out during the summer.

Sharing a few quotes from articles about Adventure with Purpose that illustrate some of their water search techniques.

To find these vehicles submerged in bodies of water, the team uses sonar meant for fishing.

“We were teaching ourselves how to read sonar in a way that we didn’t know that there was no school or training for,” Bishop said. “In a weird way, we’re organically experts at reading sonar.”

The divers use a mix of down imaging, live scope and side scans to create an image of what’s on the very bottom of waterways. They look at the change of depths and what could potentially be the shape of a car.

Bishop said many people assume that officers are sending divers out to search for missing people underwater but said that’s mostly not the case.

He said the use and understanding of sonar equipment are what separate the group from law enforcement. Bishop said sonar equipment can reveal what’s underwater that human eyes cannot see because it’s too dark.

"There’s no school, really that exists, that teaches sonar," Bishop said, adding that he and the team have had to learn the equipment as they go on missions.

Bishop said many police departments may have sonar equipment but may not understand all the technicalities that go along with it.

Rsbm

If the windows are closed, vehicles can float out quite a ways before sinking. Adventures with Purpose has found cars pretty far from where they entered the water. Of course it depends on the speed, current, depth of water, and height from which vehicle entered the water.
Presuming she went off the ramp, the water is pretty deep despite how it looked on Google maps. She would have driven directly into water as opposed to nose-dise and having the car flip. imo. No idea if she would have had windows down. Seems like it was a bit chilly that night, but could have put windows down to "sober up"

All of this is just speculation, of course.
…and any other number of variables depending on the size, weight, cross section and buoyancy of the car, surface friction of the water, how still the water is, whether there is any tide, wind and the the length and angle of the boat ramp…

There are a ton of short cuts and other paths. When I look at google maps, there are endless wrong turns to take. I know from experience, if you don't know your route, and are just looking for signs it is easy to take the wrong road. Being impaired and possibly foggy weather to the mix, and I can see her going anywhere. I even see there is a road marked old 89, its east to assume that it is the new 89 as well.

If all those cars were leaving at the same time, would traffic have been backed up getting onto the main road? Might she have turned the other direction to go a different route to avoid traffic? I can't tell from maps and pictures whether that's even plausible.

This case is a real mystery! I did wonder about the car going into the water accidentally or foul play, but based on a few things:-

1. The slogan on one of the hoodies she had on that day - “You don’t want to be forgotten. You want to disappear.”

2. The ‘slip of the tongues’ made by her boyf/ex boyfriend and best friend :-
“(I) fully believe that the 2, three of us or other people are gonna bring her home safe”, and when her friend talks about being on the 89 and it sounds like she was about to imply she was driving, but then mentions being in the passenger seat.

3. They are have both really embedded themselves into the investigation in a very confident / assertive / taking control / level headed way - even using ‘we’ to mean them and the police, and
suggestions ‘leads’ could go through them ‘teen to teen’ rather than the tip line.

4. Her friend seems too close to just sort out her own ride home and leave Rodni drunk at that type of party.

5. Both adamant she is still alive, rather than hopeful - she said “Right now we believe that it is an abduction case ... she was in no state to drive and she wouldn’t have made it far or would have crashed,”, plus he said: “I don’t know where she is. We don’t have anything to go off of at this point. But, I fully believe that she’s alive and well.”

It all seems odd, and not the usual friends reaction / behaviour you see (ie panic/fear/tears)…so I was wondering if it maybe it was meant to have been a bit of a ‘joke/game’ that she was in on (like the family that hid their child), or she just wanted a few days ‘out’ to get away for a break? But then the media storm kicked off and now it is obvious they were drinking under age, so they are all (Rodni included) trying to work out how to ‘unravel’ it all in the best way to save them getting into big trouble for drinking and wasting time?

Wishful thinking and a very long shot, as all the above could be explained away, but just a thought.

(Refs: Kiely Rodni’s boyfriend breaks silence as search enters fifth day for missing teen ||
)

It does remain possible KR ran away or is taking some time away.

We haven't really discussed it as possible, at least not that I have seen, since she seems to have a good relationship with her mom and has other strong social ties.

We do know she has income, she has a vehicle, and while she was academically motivated to graduate high school early, she is also out drinking and partying. Completely within the norm for teens, and I'm not judging by any stretch, only agreeing there is a slim chance something like what you have posted could be going on.

Her friends may not have any knowledge, IF this was the scenario.

Teens with no apparent reason to do so, DO sometimes leave home, and she did have opportunities to meet people her family and friends may not have known about.

Also does anyone know the sky conditions? It is dark in the woods but you'd be surprised how much just the moon can illuminate the area
It's going to split the night...
Truckee - Moon rose midday at 2:08 pm on the 5th; the moon set at 12:21 am on the 6th.
And you're absolutely right about moonlight in an otherwise dark environment!!
No weather notations for clouds or thunderstorms that night.

just curious and maybe someone has already asked this question but does anyone know the approximate distance from the party site to the Prosser Reservoir boat ramp?

If all those cars were leaving at the same time, would traffic have been backed up getting onto the main road? Might she have turned the other direction to go a different route to avoid traffic? I can't tell from maps and pictures whether that's even plausible.
This is something I’ve been wondering as well. Great question. I’d imagine that with a warrant, phone records could be collected on the phones of many partygoers to see who else was leaving at that time and which direction they headed.

Last edited:

I agree with almost everything in this post, but would only like to add that a car going into water would not necessarily be at the end of the boat ramp. It can move quite a bit more than you might imagine. I mentioned this back at the very beginning of this case, but it bears repeating. I am sure some here remember back in 1994, a South Carolina woman, Susan Smith, rolled her car off a boat ramp, into John D Long Lake in Union, SC, with her 2 small children inside. It took 9 days to find her car, partly because it was missed when the lake was searched two times previously. LE assumed the car would be within 30 feet of the bank, and it was about actually 100 feet out into the lake.

Also, many people do not realize how quickly a car can sink, even with windows up. The attached clip shows water can completely engulf the interior within only about a minute, and a vehicle can be completely submerged in under five minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member