Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
*I ran across this article. It’s not about Kiely but perhaps relatable to the area:

If it seems like there has been an increase in reports of missing girls, an expert in the field says that it is not your imagination. There appears to have been an increase in reports of missing girls in Northern California.

If she used an app like Life360 it tells parents or whoever she's linked to her battery percentage. Not sure she used this though, can't find a source/article to find out.

Her mom did use something along these lines. I remember a MSM article/interview where she mentioned checking her phone for Kiely's last location after she noticed her vehicle was not in the driveway and Kiely was not in her room when she woke up on the 7th.

edited to add:
Rodni-Nieman said she woke up at around 8 a.m. Saturday and realized her daughter had not woken her up when she got home.

“I got up and looked at the driveway and her car wasn’t there. I looked at her room and she wasn’t there. I grabbed my phone and I looked for her location that she always shared with me and the last update it had was from the party site at about midnight,” she said.

Last edited:
I've assumed since day one that this was and unfortunate accident and that they would find her car with her body in it. Presumably in a body of water. I grew up in that area and live about 90 mi away now. But I'm very familiar with the terrain and can only imagine being an intoxicated 16-year-old driving home at night, So incredibly dangerous. I can't help but wonder if she might have wanted to go stop and grab a burger at a fast food place before going home, any number of options that would have put her on a different route and location that hasn't been thoroughly searched.

I still feel like an accident is the most likely scenario but I am very curious about law enforcement continuing to state that there are people who won't talk to them. Does this mean that there are specific individuals that they know were there and won't talk to them? Truckee locals? Or is this just a generalization? This is the one part that makes me a little unsure on my assumption that it was an accident.

I'm late joining this thread and impossible to catch up so sorry if this was mentioned already!

I'm really hoping this turns out to be an accident however one thing that I find just too coincidental is the time factor. She texts her mom she'd home in 45 mins and at that (almost) exact point (within the 45 min/hour) the phone dies. What are the odds? So this is the timeframe something happened but could go either way:

1. She did indeed leave to get home in time and if a car accident, water would have to be involved to render the phone dead in that timeframe. An offroad accident wouldn't kill the phone.
2. She did go to leave but IF with someone else (friends, older adult, etc.) who didn't want her to, they shut off the phone as that was their 'window of time to get her' before she leaves to go home.

There’s a third idea—no particular evidence for it: that she planned to not go straight home, and turned her phone off so her mother couldn’t see where she was on ‘locate.’

Hoping the cell tower reports for the party are available to LE now.
Contacting each phone number.
Contacting their schools. Non-registration until student speaks to LE.
Isn't that Blackmail?

I'm not sure from a legal standpoint if LE has that power to be able to do that?

And do US citizens have to right to NOT speak about something if they don't want to?

MOO.

I don't know about DNA testing but I sure hope LE has checked all the restrooms (including down in the vaults, sorry) just because a person is missing and they need to make sure she's not there. Again, sorry for the graphic image -- I've been reading lots of murder mysteries lately.
Yes, @Auntie Cipation, I'd hope LE has looked down into each of the bathroom vaults at the campground. While it never resulted in a discovery of a missing person, I recall @RickshawFan on another case suggesting the same. You never know!

Those videos show an awful lot of steep hills, sharp ledges and dropoffs, small rocky bluffs surrounded by brush, and other places where a person could fall and be hard to find.

That wouldn't explain the car, though.

A felon could dump a body in a brush covered drop-off amongst the trees and then drive the car out into the desert and abandon it somewhere.

MOO.

The reward is from her family and friends. Not LE.
I still thought with other cases LE will advise against parents/family NOT to post a reward as may hinder any investigation. So I have to wonder if they get the green light from LE first? Not necessarily "permission" but advice. I have heard of LE strongly advising families not to do this in some instances. Not sure the technicalities...

ETA: I recall reasonings LE don't want family randomly offering rewards is because it can cause a lot of false leads, red herrings and shift focus if not solid leads.

Last edited:
There’s a third idea—no particular evidence for it: that she planned to not go straight home, and turned her phone off so her mother couldn’t see where she was on ‘locate.’
Yes true, it was interesting that she mentioned in the text coming 'straight home'. I think it's been theorized as well whether she actually sent the text or not.

Yes though on that road (HWY 89) at least, in many cases, there are houses or even a park like area just beyond where you see a "dropoff." I think the areas all along the expected routes home have been exhaustively searched. Plus we are in peak hiking season so there are lots of people out on trails as well.

I wasn't looking at the route, I was referring to the drone footage of the campground and lake area. They aren't huge drops where a car would be hidden, but they're more than large enough to obscure a person who fell or was dropped there. I assume areas like that have been searched, but it does look like it would be possible to miss something.

SS mentioned that this was a larger group than she was used to being around. (I don't know if I believe the '200-300' attendance.) And that she came across attendees from the San Francisco area and Sacramento. These out-of-towners could be back at home now and if college age, preparing to go off to college. For some of them it could simply be out of sight, out of mind. (e.g., "Kiely who? Don't know her, don't recognize her, don't remember her. So why should I contact the sheriff?") Probably not realizing that even though they had no contact with her, there might be an event or person that was sketchy. Of course, we also don't know how significant a presence these 'out-of-towners' were with respect to numbers. It could be 6 total or 3-4 dozen.

ITA. People tend to think that if a vehicle is involved in a situation where foul play might be involved, and not found immediately, it must be ditched in some remote location, or inside a garage or covered structure, or pushed into a body of water or torched somewhere, or end up in a chop shop. While that is very often the case, very often the car is left in a busy public place like a parking lot, where it may remain unnoticed for a long period of time, even if there is a police BOLO out on it. I just followed the case here, as did some of you, of a young woman in San Antonio who disappeared on her supposed way to work one morning. Ultimately, her car was found in a busy shopping center parking lot, right on her main route to work, about 10 minutes from her home. It had been there 18 days, with her inside. This was despite there being a BOLO out, security guards patrolling the lot, and substantial media attention. There also was the case of a man, some years ago, who was found inside his truck, parked at Kansas City International Airport, about 45 minutes from his home. The truck had been parked there, with him inside, for eight months!

Shopping centers, airports, hospitals, any public area where many cars seem to come and go, are all great places to abandon a vehicle. While these are but two examples, vehicles being left hiding "in plain sight", are not uncommon at all, and they are not always found quickly, especially if they are not in the immediate area in which LE are actively searching. JMO

Well said, @SteveP.

And it brings me back to one of my early theories that KR quietly OD'd by herself in her car after pulling over somewhere safe and out of the way to 'get her head straight' - perhaps on her way home from where she was. KR may not have known her body was shutting down as drugs and alcohol she ingested / snorted / smoked caught up to her. IMO.

But I'd like to ad a twist to that idea. What if someone staged such an ending for KR as a way to 'cover up' an OD that may have taken place at someone's home or at another outdoor party location that night? Just park the car with KR in it to make it look like she got lost, pulled over, and died. I am thinking public areas but also off the grid forest locations. And given all the CCTVs out there, if I had the inclination to do such a terrible thing, I'd opt for a desolate road.

IOW, I am not sure someone trying to hide an OD death would have to dispose of KR and her car - just park it, move KR to the driver's seat and try to clean up prints or DNA, etc. That is unless the perpetrator of such a crime would have an easy explanation to LE for any of their DNA and prints in KR's car - they were partying in the car during the night!

IMO - pure speculation of course.

Last edited:
This case may have already been mentioned, but I was searching and bumped his thread. I'm not sure how his case could possibly connect to Kiely, but the circumstances and location are eerie.

If she has an iPhone and is updated to iOS15 you can still find the phone even if it is off

Amateur opinion and speculation

There is a reason no one is talking. First, I don't believe there were in excess of 200 people at this party. The amount of cars alone would have been staggering. There are approx 800 or less parking spaces at a typical Wal-Mart. Imagine what 100 cars looks like parked. Regardless, we only have on picture for reference and a little over a dozen kids. I would imagine there were more, but no where near the amount told by SS. Also, you have to consider from a young persons perspective. I'm not implying that SS did anything to her, but is not being totally honest. Had there been even a hundred plus people, someone would have spilled by now. 50 even. There is no group of teens and young adults, so tight, that they would all cover and with that many people, someone knows what happened or where she is at, or at the very least who she left with. The mafia would have a hard time keeping 50 peoples mouths shut. From the beginning, I have assumed that the party was much smaller, and by the midnight hour, was smaller still. Someone will speak up for lack of wanting to go down for someone else. With a much smaller crowd, it is also more likely that more than a couple of people were aware of her presence and what she was doing around midnight/30. Even people who witnessed something that should not have been happening may be keeping tight lipped because of what even an idiot perceives as culpability. My thought, keeps going to more testosterone than estrogen in the group, mixed with adrenaline (fighting), and the pure stupidity of young men when in a group, most likely led to a very bad situation for a child who was far too young to be left in those surroundings.
Except PCSO confirmed last week in wrighting through their Twitter or FB account that yes, they believe there were 200-300 people there.
Look, I’ve thought about the vehicle/parking issue, too.I would imagine that there was a lot of ride share, 2-4 to a vehicles with vans and SUV’s prevalent. Not all kids have cars and some do have designated drivers. Also, some ride motorcycles. There might have been ATV’s for those living in the large subdivision and homes nearby for off road/trail travel.
For what it’s worth, SS stated that there was a big influx between 10-10:30.
Photos indicate a big open space next to the wooded area.
Clearly not more than a few were closely engaged over time with Kiely. I can only imagine that LE has not gotten meaningful statements from those that were- especially those mystery people per SS in the car. And maybe Mags, who drove out with her.

Yes but it must be turned off, not off because it is out of battery.
What if it’s on airplane? I thought the whole point of ‘airplane mode’ was to cut off communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong