Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee since 8 Aug 2022 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove into a deep area of water (which had flooded). The engine cut out immediately. I opened my driver's door to escape and the car started sinking very fast. Terrifying. Poor Kiely
Not sure why you quoted my post here.

If the car was upside down then one or the other of the two side mirrors would get damaged turning the car upright.

Divers use air bags to move things underwater and may have been used in this case to right the car. It's not been spelled out how the car was righted but it would be a minor task for trained rescue divers.

I may have misunderstood his comment. That’s important. Thanks!
Many minds ...

The water level dropped 4-5 feet in 2 weeks, between August 8 and 21, meaning the shore was 25 feet farther away 2 weeks after the car was submerged. The car was found in 14 feet of water, which was 19 feet at submersion time. The car was found 55 feet from shore, but if the water levels were 5 feet higher, it would have been found 80 feet from shore.

That seems like a slow submersion, unless she accidentally hit the gas.

Respectfully, I think this is false. Nevada County's "public protection" budget (police and related) is almost 90 million dollars and comprises 30% of their total spending. 21-22 Budget

This budget is for a county with ~102,000 people.
For those of you who don have time to read 704 pages, the budget section which covers the Sheriffs Dept runs from page 2 463 to page 2 502.

AWP is based in the PNW and they're long known in this area, especially for recovering vehicles for cold cases. Countless times they've recovered vehicles from areas previously searched by SAR. This recovery is really no different.

In fact, this happens so often (whether recovered by ground or in water) that WS has a thread dedicated to cases where remains are located in the same area previously searched by SAR.

Great post—thanks for this!

<modsnip> —if they wanted to discourage them, they could have simply prevented it, saying it was an active investigation.
SBBM It was AWP that stated that LE told them the area had been searched previously. The link to the NY Times article where a spokesperson for AWP stated this has been posted several times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t mean to belabor this point…. but…
I can’t find a direct quote from Nick Rinn, AWP, only a statement attributed to him in the NY Post. It’s not a direct quote regarding the broken window. It does seem out of context that he would declare that.
Anyone have that?

I don't know why this would be needed. AWP is fairly new to this, but have been extremely successful. I don't know why it isn't a better idea to let them do it and allow the government to try to "hone" in on their skillset a bit more. Just my honest opinion, but I think more and more LE will trust and look to AWP for help in such situations. Just like LE does call in Texas EquuSearch.

Jared Leisek founded AwP 5 years ago because he was diving for trash in order to provide a cleaner marine environment. About 3 years ago, he found a car underwater. Doug Bishop joined his endeavors because he owned a towing company. Doug became the Team's Lead Diver.
Oregonian divers travel across the US finding missing people

Tim Miller – Founder and Director Tim Miller founded Texas EquuSearch Mounted Search and Recovery Team in August 2000. It is dedicated to his daughter, Laura, who was abducted and murdered in north Galveston County in 1984.
Board of Directors - Texas EquuSearch

Perhaps any damages to the vehicle are from when it rolled over on its driver's side, then turtled with wheels up, into the reservoir. Two weeks in the water is a long time, esp since her windows may have been down allowing critters to enter. Could her hair follicles still contain data for possible drugs ingested?

I'm grateful that Kiely was found, and that her family can lay her to rest and that no foul play appears to have been involved.

RIP, Ms. Kiely. I guess you did all the things you were supposed to do while you were here, and that anyone who was wrongfully blamed for her disappearance can forgive or at least understand their accusers.

Good post. I wish we had more like this. IMO
I wouldn't go that far. A few days ago, anyone who asked about side sonar locations was reminded that "submerged in water" had already been discussed and the discussion had moved on. Even police said that the investigation had moved on to include criminal possibilities.

The press conference clarified why police included criminal possibilities - explaining that more resources were available by including all possibilities, especially criminal.

I don't think anything can be ruled out at this point, but I was pretty convinced by the argument that the damage to the car might have taken place during its removal.
^^RSBM

I agree -- especially if we also recognize that by 11:15 AM on Sunday, AWP was basically hands-off and the recovery was turned over to Nevada County Sheriff personnel. It was after 6 pm when News3/KCRA tweeted the first video of the submerged vehicle that was just beginning to be visible.

We know that the local county fire/water rescue/recovery dive team had six hours here where they likely worked diligently to upright and raise the vehicle and connect it to the winch, flatbed truck.

While I'd never expect AWP to reveal to any other party except LE exactly how they determined that KR's body was inside the vehicle, LE rescuers might also have had to follow their own procedures here for the recovery of the body and vehicle including breaking a window(s). At this time, AWP has shared the sonar reading and underwater image of the vehicle tag.

I recall a similar issue when another private searcher hired by MI college freshman, Branden Santo's parents who after three months discovered their missing son trapped beneath the ice of the Red Cedar River at MSU. The searcher was viewing film frames in the middle of the night from a special underwater camera probe when he spotted what was believed to be a sports shoe worn by Branden. This image proved to be the clue needed by MSU police to authorize divers to enter the dangerous, frozen river and cut through a log jam and ice to recover the missing student.

1661224461471.png
A sonar image of the area where Kiely Rodni’s vehicle was located in Prosser Creek Reservoir is seen in an image provided by Adventure with Purpose on Sunday, Aug. 21, 2022 near Truckee, Calif. The Oregon-based diving team detailed some of its findings Monday, including a video image of Kiely’s vehicle submerged 55 feet offshore. Adventure with Purpose

1661224513016.png
In an image taken from video released by Adventures with Purpose diving group, a California license plate matching that of the vehicle driven by Kiely Rodni is seen underwater in Prosser Creek Reservoir on Sunday, Aug. 21, 2022. A vehicle matching the description of Kiely’s Honda CR-V was pulled from the Nevada County lake with a body inside. Adventures with Purpose

Jared Leisek founded AwP 5 years ago because he was diving for trash in order to provide a cleaner marine environment. About 3 years ago, he found a car underwater. Doug Bishop joined his endeavors because he owned a towing company. Doug became the Team's Lead Diver.
Oregonian divers travel across the US finding missing people

Tim Miller – Founder and Director Tim Miller founded Texas EquuSearch Mounted Search and Recovery Team in August 2000. It is dedicated to his daughter, Laura, who was abducted and murdered in north Galveston County in 1984.
Board of Directors - Texas EquuSearch

Perhaps any damages to the vehicle are from when it rolled over on its driver's side, then turtled with wheels up, into the reservoir. Two weeks in the water is a long time, esp since her windows may have been down allowing critters to enter. Could her hair follicles still contain data for possible drugs ingested?
Most likely - the car entered the water and as it hit the lakebed, it tipped depending on where it hit first. One part might be sticking up, it might be necessary to break the windows to put a winch through the car to roll it over,

I think that if the water temperature was 55 and 65 F during the 2 weeks, toxicology is possible, but DNA after 2 weeks in water is unlikely.

1661225991237.png

I’ve been under a rock and just read the news that she was found. It looks like this might be exactly what I thought happened. They went back to her car to drink, meaning that’s where their alcohol was. Kiely didn’t want to drive home with it and was coming back the next day, so she went to stash it nearby before leaving the party, far enough away so other partiers wouldn’t find it and drink it. She took that turn on purpose, because she wanted to go down to that beach. It’s just that the area had epic rains the previous two days and the reservoir was higher than she expected. She may have only been going 5mph - it wouldn’t matter. Once her front end crested the shoreline and she drove even a couple of feet into the water, her car was now a floating boat with momentum. Just look at that truck sinking video I posted - it very, very sloooowly slipped into water and was 30 feet from shore and completely under water in 25 seconds. Kiely’s front end would have sunk first, touched the bottom, and whatever momentum the car still had would continue to push the rear forward until the car rested upside down.

She did not have to be drunk for this to happen, only unaware of the water level.

My thoughts for her parents, if they ever stumble upon this thread: You did nothing wrong in believing Kiely and trusting that she would be sober and safe. A loving and trusting relationship is just about the best gift a parent can give a child, and it seems your family had that.

My thoughts for Sami and Kiely’s other friends: You did nothing wrong in believing Kiely would stay at the campground. You did nothing wrong in leaving the party and going home without her. You are not responsible for what happens to other people who choose to drink, overdrink, or use. You are not responsible for staying with, keeping an eye on, or taking care of someone who chooses to drink or use, although it is a very kind and generous thing to do when possible. You are not responsible for other people’s choices and actions, ever.

<modsnip: Please don't tell members what to do or how to think>

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!
The car was found 14 feet deep, 2 weeks ago that was 19 feet deep. Two weeks ago, the car would have been farther from shore than 55 feet.

Sounds like the car traveled quite a distance into the water before submerging - reminds me of Susan Smith describing her submerged car with her sons in the back seat.

I think the murky muddy water and rotating car would have made it difficult to get oriented to an open window. Maybe the front window wouldn't open so she opened the back window, she released her seatbelt, thinking she'd have a really good story after this, but couldn't get out in time.
BBM, yes. As it was filling, it was also moving deeper/further out with momentum and it could have been subjected to underwater currents. It looks like the one window was open, maybe as she was driving. Other windows closed due to dust? If the heavy engine was sinking first and water poured into the one window, it could have rolled it, causing her to swim/be pulled towards the back of the vehicle that was oriented upside down. Trying to swim out of the upside down window would be impossible. The lake is murky and it must have been very disorienting, dark, and cold.

If the car was upside down then one or the other of the two side mirrors would get damaged turning the car upright.

Divers use air bags to move things underwater and may have been used in this case to right the car. It's not been spelled out how the car was righted but it would be a minor task for trained rescue divers.
I agree, the damaged mirror could have been from righting it. The broken windows in the front most likely were from vehicle recovery, needing a place to attach floats, etc. Drain water. I can't imagine she broke both out. I can't image the impact would explode those out and not the windshield.

Does anyone else see what I see in this picture in thereat seat/open window? It looks like a hand, lower left corner f window. Could be a reflection as well.

1661219622848.png

This thread is now closed. Please continue the discussion in thread #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni