CA - Kobe Bryant, 41, daughter GiGi, 13, & 7 others die in helicopter crash, Calabasas, 26 Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by Gardenista, Jan 26, 2020.

1. BeachSky

BeachSky Well-Known Member

OMG! I think I would freak out if I came upon that!

IQuestion, Tripod, Lynetta and 3 others like this.

2. Pi Thoughts

Pi Thoughts Well-Known Member

The bodies of Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and the seven friends who died alongside them in a California helicopter crash have been released to their families, according to US reports.

Now all nine bodies have been released to their families while the US National Transportation Safety Board continues to investigate the fiery crash, CNN said, citing the coroner’s office.
    Bodies of Kobe, chopper victims released

Intermezzo, Pammi, IQuestion and 9 others like this.
  3. Bostondangler13

Bostondangler13 Active Member

4. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

He didn't only turn left, he dropped at a very high rate of speed that was not a recoverable event.

Pammi, IronOrchid and Arnie M like this.
  5. 8771

8771 Well-Known Member

This is all fascinating to me. I am an extremely nervous flyer, so I've always avoided air traffic discussion/logistics, but it's actually quite fascinating.

6. Luna20

Luna20 Well-Known Member

7. IronOrchid

IronOrchid Well Behaved Person

I'm a very nervous flyer too, but I really dig into looking into crashes and aircraft accidents. Learning how something flies and then, can't fly, makes it seem less like random chance. I don't know why that helps.

Very sorry for Kobe and his family. I don't mean any disrespect. May the victims rest in peace and may all the loved ones of the victims find answers.

8771, Cortne, IQuestion and 2 others like this.
  8. Roselvr

Arnie M and Luna20 like this.
  9. Luna20

Luna20 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see...

Roselvr likes this.
  10. Emi

Emi Well-Known Member

La Louve, Pi Thoughts, Niner and 4 others like this.
  11. Elisaa444

Elisaa444 Informer

12. IQuestion

IQuestion Well-Known Member

Yep...it was CFIT= Controlled Flight Into Terrain. Ironically, "Homendy also said that the NTSB recommended in 2006 that all helicopters capable of carrying six or more passengers be equipped with TAWS, but that it wasn’t a legal requirement after the Federal Aviation Administration didn’t follow the recommendation."
    Investigation shows no sign of engine failure in fatal helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant

rosemadderlake and Elisaa444 like this.
  13. Roselvr

From your article

Kobe Bryant Crash Investigation No Evidence of Engine Failure

Kobe Bryant's helicopter engine did not fail, federal investigators say in preliminary NTSB report

I don't think TAWS would have made a difference. I've been posting where there are pilots, most say it would have gotten shut off.

I think a black box should be mandatory on all aircraft. At least if they had that they may have answers. I have a feeling that in the end, they won't really know what happened.

Reading the 2 NTSB reports plus the various articles, I wonder what shape the pilot was in when he was found. I wonder if there was enough of him to even autopsy to rule out something like a fatal heart attack. We know they were able to identify some of them with a finger print.

NTSB report 1

NTSB updated report

14. BeachSky

I can’t remember which knowledgeable poster on here said early on that Kobe’s pilot may not have known this particular freeway he was following (coupled with the fog) had such high hills at this spot (because freeway goes low )plus the ocean is just on the other side of these hills. This video shows how close! Fog coming in right off the ocean can change in seconds!
    So sad that he was too low for assistance.

MOO

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  15. rosemadderlake

rosemadderlake Well-Known Member

It’s so sad that he couldn’t have just landed somewhere.

In this way helicopters are so much more versatile.

Niner, bowler, IQuestion and 2 others like this.
  16. Roselvr

There's an article that was posted in one of the threads I'm following on city-data where his co-worker said that he'd flown that area many times in the 10 years he was employed there. He said that they all knew "back doors" to fly to avoid stuff like this.

It was also said that there was some sort of landing pad to the left; I think it was for LE. It was that person's thought that that's where the pilot may have been aiming for when he went left.

What doesn't make sense is the speed at which the helicopter dropped. It was like 4,000 feet a minute.

17. ktm44

ktm44 Well-Known Member

I wish I could find it again but I read an article about the pressure of working for charter companies. The bit issue seems to be that high profile clients are assumed to be important people with important business and there is always somebody that's willing to step up and take the risk.

|The tournament seems to be the perceived deadline and I've wondered if there was conversation about the weather before takeoff and what would have happened if the pilot had simply refused to fly that day. Kobe was extremely competitive so I don't believe showing up late or not at all was an option and I wonder if he would have agreed to wait out the weather, got in a car and drove up or called another charter company.

MajorHoople, Elisaa444 and Pammi like this.
  18. Roselvr

I found the article I was talking about

Was pilot for Kobe Bryant feeling pressure to fly that day?

LadyL, jennyjenny, Niner and 2 others like this.
  19. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

^^sbm

Kobe being competitive is indeed an understatement --but make no mistake that he believed in luck or short-cuts. For KB it was about being practiced and prepared. He was described by teammates as extremely organized and scheduled -- not the last minute, rushing around sort.

KB and his girls basketball team including GB played on Saturday and it's unknown how he traveled to the Mamba Center that day.

Reportedly, their game on Sunday was at 2 pm. According to flightradar24.com, the helicopter departed John Wayne airport at 9:06 AM, and the crash was reported to authorities at 9:47 a.m. (and this after they circled several around the Glendale area for several minutes waiting for guidance from air traffic control).

Nope, I seriously doubt this was about a pilot feeling pressured or under a tight schedule or where he took what he believed a knowing risk to fly to the sports center on Sunday. There was plenty of time allowed here -- including for an alternate plan.

Also -- I recall reading about a man that had been waiting at Camarillo Airport for a helicopter from Orange County. He planned to drive Kobe, his daughter and seven others to Mamba Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks. It wasn't long after the crash that he arrived at a church parking lot (described as Presbyterian affiliated along Las Virgenes Road) with a vantage point to the crash scene even before TMZ broke the news.

I have no don't doubt that whether it was blue sky, drizzle, or fog, Kobe had an on-call or backup or plan to get them to their destination. I don't think he was capable of doing it any other way.

No matter how experienced and capable the pilot, he was first human and not infallible. No matter the onboard safety features or training, humans make mistakes and accidents happen.

From what I've read and heard said about Kobe, he had his life and priorities in order and I hope his celebrity is serving to remind others that life is short and nobody is exempt from death -- ready or not.

Personally, I heard the message loud and clear. To quote my late father - "death needs no excuse."

MOO

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Cryptic, Luna20, Roselvr and 4 others like this.
  20. BeachSky