CA - Kobe Bryant, 41, daughter GiGi, 13, & 7 others die in helicopter crash, Calabasas, 26 Jan 2020

It was on the evening news though they refrained from mentioning Kobe having Ritalin in his report. I find it in poor taste that it was published. If it is prescribed who’s business is it if Kobe or any of the passengers were on Ritalin. They weren’t flying the plane.
I don't see how it's poor taste?

It’s personal, private ‘Hippa’ information in my opinion.
I get what you're saying, but would you feel the same way if he didn't have Ritalin on his system? I don't want to start a big fight, I'm just trying to understand your point.

I get what you're saying, but would you feel the same way if he didn't have Ritalin on his system? I don't want to start a big fight, I'm just trying to understand your point.

No worries, I appreciate your interest. Yes I would feel the same no matter what it is. Ritalin is by no means a derogatory association and no one taking it as directed should feel that way. My issue is with medical privacy.

No worries, I appreciate your interest. Yes I would feel the same no matter what it is. Ritalin is by no means a derogatory association and no one taking it as directed should feel that way. My issue is with medical privacy.
Okay, right! That's what I was trying to understand, if the issue was the Ritalin or something else. And, in that case, I totally get what you're saying. Thanks!

To publish passenger toxicology reports is a bit unusual in this case .... but it does happen in some situations .... for example if a helicopter crashed and it was known there were some "rowdies" on board drug-alcohol tests would be done if it was suspected an impaired passenger may have obstructed the pilot or tried to grab the controls or something.

Most of the time the pilot would simply refuse to take them in the first place ... unless of course they are wealthy Hollywood celebrities or something .... many of them are on something nearly all the time but "we" still let them fly.

Lots of words and, I might be slow, but I still don't understand the reason behind this? Why change the name? Didn't he put a bunch of money into that academy? Did the Kobe Estate ask for the name to be dropped or what?
It's true that KB was co-owner of the Academy and probably did make a sizeable financial contribution. I think changing the name back to its original name of Sports Academy came from a position of respect. The announcement reads: ... Kobe is one of one. "Mamba" is one of one,' ..... and let that live on its own.

Toxicology screens are always done in autopsies, and autopsies are public records. It’s not a HIPAA violation.

The autopsy report makes it very clear that the amount of Ritalin in his system was a therapeutic amount.

Several comments saying that Vanessa wasn’t in Kobe’s Will. Is there any truth to that?

Vanessa Bryant's mother Sofia Laine says she was kicked out of their home after Kobe's death | Daily Mail Online

Surviving Spouses Can Receive Both Community and Separate Property

California is a community property state. This means all money or property earned during the marriage is vested automatically in equal shares between spouses. Upon one partner’s death, the surviving spouse is entitled to one-half of the community property. If there is no will or trust, then surviving spouses may also inherit the other half of the community property, and take up to one-half of the deceased spouse’s separate property.

Spousal Rights & Omitted Spouse in California Probate Matters

The cause of the crash was spatial disorientation.

This other crash is an indicator of how quickly and completely spatial disorientation can occur to even the best pilots.

The Japanese pilot was very experienced as he had been selected to fly the F-35. Then factor in that he was fully trained in instrument flight rules and also flying advanced fighter with terrain warning features.

Yet, the pilot became disoriented and calmly flew his plane into the ocean following dog fight training in cloudy conditions.

Japan’s Air Force: Pilot Error Caused F-35A Crash – The Diplomat
Japan Air Self-Defense Force: Pilot Error Likely Cause of F-35A Crash

Last edited:
NTSB: Kobe Bryant pilot disoriented in clouds

2/9/21

LOS ANGELES -- U.S. safety investigators said Tuesday that the pilot of Kobe Bryant's helicopter flew through the clouds last year in an apparent violation of federal standards, likely becoming disoriented just before the helicopter crashed and killed Bryant and eight others.

Robert Sumwalt, chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, said that pilot Ara Zobayan was flying under visual flight rules, which meant that he needed to be able to see where he was going.

Zobayan piloted the aircraft to climb sharply and had nearly broken through the clouds when the Sikorsky S-76 helicopter banked abruptly and plunged into the Southern California hills below, killing all aboard.

NTSB Says Kobe Bryant Helicopter Pilot Was Likely Disoriented in Clouds, Leading to Fatal Crash

Feb 9, 2021

Just over a year after the January 26, 2020 helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna, and seven others, the National Transportation and Safety Board (NTSB) is meeting to determine the accident's probable cause.

During a public, livestreamed hearing on Tuesday, members of the NTSB said that pilot Ara Zobayan flew through clouds ahead of the crash last year, which is an apparent violation of federal standards and likely led to him being spatially disorientated, the Associated Press reported.

"He was flying under visual flight rules (VFR), which legally prohibited him from penetrating clouds," NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt said. "However, he continued this VFR flight through the clouds, into instrument meterological conditions."

The Bryants, as well as passengers John Altobelli, Keri Altobelli, Alyssa Altobelli, Sarah Chester, Payton Chester, and Christina Mauser, were traveling to a basketball tournament at Kobe's Mamba Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks, California, at the time of the crash into a hillside in Calabasas.

[..]

The NTSB meeting is ongoing as of 11 a.m. EST Tuesday.

Will we ever know (prob not) if there was pressure on the pilot to hurry &
get to the destination? Maybe the pilot put pressure on himself.
It seems it was a perfect storm that day.
So, so sad.
People process anger & grief sometimes in waves ...is all I can think.
I can see it from all sides.

MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member