Still Missing CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996 *arrests* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if any searches have been conducted in San Pedro for her remains. Paul lived by a huge park/canyon that is relatively unmonitored. Gives me the creeps

Niner there is no new dates or anything I am thinking it's safe to say there will be definitely a delay in the trial date maybe a few months. Last week they only announced judge's name. I think there haven't been schedule changes for a while as in trial being moved to another county specifically in California

This is such a sad case. Creeps me out that he got his father to help him cover up his crime. What kind of look do you give each other across the Thanksgiving table? Long time to keep a secret like that.

Niner there is no new dates or anything I am thinking it's safe to say there will be definitely a delay in the trial date maybe a few months. Last week they only announced judge's name. I think there haven't been schedule changes for a while as in trial being moved to another county specifically in California

Thank you for the update!

Thank you for the update!
there is no way in any ways the trial to start in May; we only got last week's name of the judge and where it will be and what department which is Dept 4. Its not on the court calendar yet and there is no telling when it will be on there.

there is no way in any ways the trial to start in May; we only got last week's name of the judge and where it will be and what department which is Dept 4. Its not on the court calendar yet and there is no telling when it will be on there.
as long as he stays locked up delay away ;)

You do realize that they actually cannot legally delay far into into June, Emi, as Paul did not agree to waive time. I think the latest date the trial can technically start is something like June 10th at the latest (but it could be a date earlier than that - I’m recalling the last possibly start date within the 60 day period plus ten being between sometime between June 5th - June 10th). Now, if Paul has agreed to waive more time (which I don’t see him likely doing based on he and his attorney’s previous decisions so far) then the start date could be later. Even so, I would think we would have heard if he agreed to waive time - because usually that happens during court appearances, and even if done so during a private chambers conference, paperwork would be filed about the time waiver once agreed upon which wouldn’t be sealed.

@missslaurenlady you do realize this case due to change of venue from San Luis Obispo to Salinas; the case is not on the calendar yet.
It doesn’t matter if it isn’t calendared. The law says that all people have a right to a speedy trial… UNLESS they waive time.

And of course, sure -it’s possible that the State could need fail to meet its obligations and be able to host the trial on time… just not sure what the consequences would be for the State. There would be some penalty. Otherwise as a country we would have people sitting in jail for years and years waiting for their trials. We already have that for the half of the defendants that choose to waive their right to a speedy trial. If we didn’t have laws in place to enforce the rule for the defendants that don’t waive time? We would need 3X the amount of jail space for people awaiting trial, because you’re not even considering the third of people that waive time that get out on bond or let out on their own recognizance before their case even goes to trial.

The Smart family will face significant travel expenses when the trial of Paul and Ruben Flores begins in June, and a has been created to help them shoulder the burden, as the trial could continue into September.

https://ktla.com/news/california-wire/kristin-smart-murder-trial-moved-to-monterey-county/
Called the 26/26 campaign — May 26 marks the 26th anniversary of Smart’s disappearance — the effort wants to collect $20,000 for the family, though as organizer Dave Congalton notes, donors are encouraged to give “any amount of money you can.”

Judge Craig van Rooyen said he reached out to the presiding judge at Monterey County Superior Court about potential dates for preliminary hearings for the trial but has not heard back yet. The trial date has been set for May 31 in a previous hearing and could change if the court is unavailable at that date.

Read more at: https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/crime/article260549807.html#storylink=cpy
This is from a previous story posted in April. Since then, no dates have popped up or anything except the new judge location and department

@Niner all I know is that if they have the trial date postponed there will be a hearing before the 31st of May. Also, the case is not on the public calendar some kind of particular admin has the case.

They have to hold a hearing before May 31 to postpone it, and honestly, by now they have to. This week should have been a pre-pre trial conference, next week's pre-trial conference and the following week trial starts. So I’m pretty confident it will be postponed at least a little since there was no pre pre. - this is from Chloe Jones a court reporter for the Tribune on twitter via private message to me.

Last edited:
<modsnip: no link>

May 14, 2022
There is one trial with two juries planned in the June 6 tribunal of accused murderer Paul Flores and his alleged accomplice Ruben Flores. Paul Flores is charged with murdering Kristin Smart in San Luis Obispo during an attempted rape in 1996, and his father is accused of helping dispose of her body.

Each defendant will have his own jury, which will listen to most of the trial simultaneously. The two juries will rotate between the jury box and the gallery in a trial expected to last between three and five months.

Last edited by a moderator:

22CR003712 The People of the State of California vs. Flores, Paul Ruben​

22CR003713 The People of the State of California vs. Flores, Ruben Ricardo​

Finally these are the case numbers to look for on the calendar for

I saw cal coast news say something about June 6 but i can’t find any sourcing in that and it seems that date came out of the blue, but cal coast news is more of a blog and has been found guilty of libel once and is a current libel suit right now so they may not be the best source

Credit to this quote goes to Chloe Jones from The Tribune on twitter to me via DM.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/crime/article261757887.html

Monterey County Superior Court officials told The Tribune that the lag in releasing that public information occurred because it took a lot of time to go through all of the court documents and they had to be careful of what information is released because of the gag order on the case.

HOW CAN I WATCH TRIAL OF PAUL AND RUBEN FLORES?​

Monterey County Superior Court does not currently provide live streaming video of or video conference access to court hearings, court executive officer Chris Ruhl told the Tribune.

This is snipped from the article above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member