CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe they are mad now that the Smart family released info so they are back tracking? One thing that is odd... if Kristin truly is in the Flores backyard, why would they rent it out?

Renting it would be a safer option than selling. Renters wouldn’t have the authority to dig up the backyard or make large renovations, etc., so the backyard would likely remain undisturbed.

I rent & I can’t think of any scenario that would cause me to dig up my backyard. If there was a problem that cropped up, I would call my landlord about it. There could be bodies buried back there & I would never know. (Highly, highly doubt there are...)

Renting it would be a safer option than selling. Renters wouldn’t have the authority to dig up the backyard or make large renovations, etc., so the backyard would likely remain undisturbed.

I rent & I can’t think of any scenario that would cause me to dig up my backyard. If there was a problem that cropped up, I would call my landlord about it. There could be bodies buried back there & I would never know. (Highly, highly doubt there are...)
They rented it briefly after Kristins disappearance- the renters let people search around the yard and were kicked out. Susan moves back in, and has lived there with her boyfriend ever since

Sounds like the mom was mixed up, how sad. All the old hopes and fears stirred up with all the anxiety that causes. Just so very sad a situation.

With all the tension and speculation this "imminent break in the case" statement has caused, I wish someone of irrefutable character would track down this retired FBI Agent and simply ask him (1) What exactly did you tell Ms. Smart? (2) What was your motivation in telling her what you did? and (3) How did you come by your information?

“The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation and they are not putting any timetable on the completion of it. We support the Sheriff Department’s efforts and commitment,” the family said in a statement.

Sheriff’s office spokesman Tony Cipolla tells PEOPLE, “We do not anticipate any announcements in the near future.”

Here are four things to know about Smart’s baffling disappearance:

1. Smart Was Last Seen Heading Back to Her Dorm After a Party

2. Smart Was Last Seen with Freshman Paul Flores — Who Is a ‘Person of Interest’

3. Flores Has Never Been Charged

4. Smart’s Mom Said Waiting for News Is ‘Anxiety-Producing’ — But Authorities Say No News Is Forthcoming

Link contains specifics to each of the 4 things:
Everything to Know About Kristin Smart's Disappearance — as Family Now Says No News Is Forthcoming

If he did it Paul Flores must have been terrified the past few days, good obviously if he did do it. I saw this on Reddit and immediately thought it didn't sound right at all. Can't see the FBI telling the family this without making it clear not to go to the media with it just in case it messed things up. I'd also only expect them to inform the family immediately before they went public with whatever it is or made and arrest, not tell them it without knowing exactly when it was going to happen. What if whatever was supposed to be happening didn't pan out? They'd have got the families hopes up for nothing, even if they didn't care about the families feelings (no reason to believe they wouldn't) they'd still not risk the criticism that would come with given a grieving family false hope. Didn't sound right at all.

Good to see it got the case some attention at least hopefully it leads to something. I had heard her name before but i wasn't familiar with the case. It does sound like there could possibly be something going on and the former agent got wind of it, but then i'd assume when the family contacted the FBI they'd make it clear not to go to the media with it. Who knows this is bizarre.

I did find it odd that the FBI would leave such a cliff hanger with the family. Of course, if there was a big break in the case, I could see them being told ahead of a media release.

Perhaps, this is part of a tactic -leak pending breaking news - while investigators keep surveillance on a suspect to see what they do. Do they flee, continue to go to work?, etc.

Random thought....

Right he could be a private detective who used to he FBI but is now, in fact, just being a dick or more, he could be telling them how to get “it back out there.” The family is walking back the statememt now explicitly. Earlier it said, “we firmly stand by this statement.” I stand by my initial feeling of this is manipulation, not that I’d be above it if my loved one was murdered.

Everything to Know About Kristin Smart's Disappearance — as Family Now Says No News Is Forthcoming

There were retired FBI agents who did specialized things in the case- handled cadaver dogs/xrayed the backyard/etc. it could be possible he’s very much involved in the case but in a different capacity then FBI agent.

Color me baffled. Did the mom just do this as a publicity stunt?
I don't think so. I don't think they want any unwarranted publicity. They've been through enough already.

I'm hoping the family and the ex-FBI agent are privy to information where making such a vague public announcement may somehow benefit the investigation.

Just my opinion, of course.

Sandra Levy's case is the most notorious of a mothers search for killer. Sandra'a mother went as far as to beat a bongo drum loudly in protest of her daughter's murder going unsolved, this action done on nationally televised news stations.
Respectfully snipped and BBM.
Women like Mrs. Levy are an example to all women, and a heroine to me
God Bless Her. Desiree Young too.

I don't think so. I don't think they want any unwarranted publicity. They've been through enough already.

I'm hoping the family and the ex-FBI agent are privy to information where making such a vague public announcement may somehow benefit the investigation.

Just my opinion, of course.

I agree. I think what she reported to the news agencies is exactly what she was told. I am curious to know why she was told that.

Kristin Smart: Missing Cal Poly student's family says no news imminent

Please notice what the Sheriff's Dept. The FBI & the Smart family say here. Among other things, they said there is no timeline and nothing is imminent. They never said what the retired FBI Agent stated was not true-at least as far as a major break in the case had occurred. A lot of times, it is how things are worded is what really counts. Don't be surprised if something is going on with the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member