Identified! CA - Lake Buena Vista, "Buena Vista Leg Doe" fnd Jul 2018, body fnd Jul 2020 - Shirley Mae Cassel

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by JerseyGirl, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Eleven_11

Eleven_11 Well-Known Member

2. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Have a nice day!

Thanks Otterly...sadly I can't read the article due to privacy laws.

iulia likes this.
  3. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Have a nice day!

Thanks...and they investigated it but didn't find any other parts. As it seems they didn't toss it on a pile, they asked the DNA project for help. BTW, are we sure this leg belongs to the same person?

Quiet Time and iulia like this.
  4. proctorelites

proctorelites Well-Known Member

Thank you @Eleven_11 ! The dna doe link said extensive searching when the leg was found 07-28-2018 produced no further remains. Is it safe to say the car wasnt there at that time and this is another body? That is a little uncomfortable. Is this lake a dumpimg ground? Or was it just terrible visibility that prevented them finding the car at that time?
    So I ran up on an article that just gave me pause- The Bakersfield 3...missing people, parts found in water in Kern, so it gives me pause. I heard abt this case but just made the leap. What do you all think?

Mothers of Bakersfield 3 ask board for resources to search Buena Vista Lake

Did i blow past this on another page of this thread?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  5. Eleven_11

Eleven_11 Well-Known Member

No clue at this point since they aren’t saying much...but my guess (& hope) is that it does and there aren’t several bodies in that lake.

I’m pretty intrigued by this since they already seem to know that it’s related to a missing person case in LA.

Bit of hope and iulia like this.
  6. proctorelites

proctorelites Well-Known Member

I always jad a hard time believing Baylee Despot had murders charges awaiting when they found her- she is missing.

7. Lamima

Lamima Well-Known Member

8. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Every Body's Name Matters

Is it known if this leg bone belongs to a child or an adult female?

dotr and Melt71 like this.
  9. Melt71

Melt71 Well-Known Member

DDP's case summary (with my highlights in red) says

"......the person from whom the leg came was female and relatively small, no other descriptive information (such as race, age, height, weight, etc.) could be gleaned..."
    Buena Vista Leg 2018 - DNA Doe Project Cases

Al Ka, momsof3, dotr and 4 others like this.
  10. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Every Body's Name Matters

TYVM. I looked for a case summary yesterday. This helped along with "a semi-decomposed leg".
    @jackornaught, who is a new WS member, posted a case yesterday (linked below). I was trying to find any PMs. I usually stray away from child victim cases but thought I'd find a few PMs to get others started. No luck yet. Thank you. :)

CA - CA - Kaya Centeno, 10, Rohnert Park, 1 June 2012

11. peace+love

peace+love Active Member

Any updates with genealogical analysis? At least a race or age approximation??

dotr likes this.
  12. Nancy Drew RN

Nancy Drew RN Well-Known Member

I can't find any, although there are at least four different women referred to as Kern County Jane Doe, which complicates things. If you look on their document, she has a very low match rate in GED--only 8 matches, with the highest at only 12.1. I believe this is the lowest of the current Does they are analyzing. I'm not sure if this suggests that the specimen isn't ideal, or if she is from a population that is underrepresented in GED.

Al Ka, dotr and MadMcGoo like this.
  13. ntt1

ntt1 Well-Known Member

dotr, Suglo, MadMcGoo and 3 others like this.
  14. djanga

djanga Well-Known Member

I wonder as she has such a low number of matches, could she be an immigrant herself. I think she has the lowest number of matches from all DDP Does.

momsof3, dotr, MadMcGoo and 2 others like this.
  15. MarziPanda

MarziPanda Well-Known Member

It's definitely possible, though her admixture looks more like African American. Mostly sub-Saharan African but with some Asian and a little European, and a small amount of Native American. Of course these reports are partly guesswork and aren't 100% accurate, but that doesn't sound like a recent immigrant to me. Your average, say, Nigerian woman would be unlikely to have Asian or Native American ancestry. A black immigrant from Europe would be unlikely to have Native American ancestry, too.

Though, it's also possible that she could be an immigrant from the Caribbean. Many people from India were taken to the Caribbean by the British as indentured servants, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that either the algorithm thinks native Caribbean peoples count as native Americans... or that there were native Americans brought to the Caribbean. So that's another possibility besides her being African American.

Al Ka, momsof3, dotr and 5 others like this.
  16. Melt71

Melt71 Well-Known Member

Yes @MarziPanda and most minority populations are under-represented in DNA studies so she seems to have a perfect storm of low numbers.

17. victoriarobinson642

victoriarobinson642 Well-Known Member

They've uploaded more in-depth admixture info for the does over at the DDP. It looks like she has a Black and Central Asian background.

Attached Files:

Al Ka, MadMcGoo, dotr and 1 other person like this.
  18. djanga

djanga Well-Known Member

It makes me think she could be Caribbean, her European admixture is Spanish and Portuguese. Interestingly, she has Central Asian and namely Uygur admixture.

Al Ka, Calixo and dotr like this.
  19. MarziPanda

MarziPanda Well-Known Member

That's certainly the most interesting in-depth admixture I've seen! When she's finally identified (when, not if, because I have total faith that DDP and everyone else working on her case will bring her name back to her) it'll be interesting to see what she looked like and what her family is like. Maybe one African American parent or hispanic/black parent or Caribbean parent, and one from the middle east? Looking at her admixture it really is no wonder she has such low matches. But all it takes is one big match to solve.

Hang in there, miss. Your name will find you.

Al Ka, Calixo, momsof3 and 6 others like this.
  20. booberry

booberry New Member