GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this close to the picture that was taken of the man bending down looking in that window? If so didn't he have a motorcycle?

just saw this on my twitter feed (thanks Tricia). Like others, SO many questions. We've seen so many kidnappings, but it's unusual to find a stabbing of a young victim in their own home (ie, did she scream, where are the parents?, was there forced entry?).

I'm thinking about Danielle Van Dam, Polly Klaas, Elizabeth Smart, and more recently the 10-year-old girl who was found alive after she was abducted by two men from the bedroom of her Northridge, California home. And of course we can't forget Shasta Groene, who was also taken from her home. And, Jessica Lunsford. I can spill these names off the top of my head. There's a much greater risk to leave behind DNA in the home, vs. taking the child and doing the dasterdly deed somewhere else.

The only stranger killings I can remember is the Michael Crowe case. Where the 12 year old brother confessed to appease officers, but the real killer was Richard Tuite. And the infamous John Benet Ramsey case.

We're either dealing with a real crazy psycho who lets a 12 year old witness remain alive, or someone within the home. That's what my hinky meter is telling me. I'm merely speculating that these are the two options most will look at.

My prayers are with the family, and I hope whomever did this is found in short order.

MOO

Mel

This case reminds me of the murder of Stacey Payne.

On the morning of July 11, 2001, fifteen-year-old Stacy Payne was present in her Dale, Indiana home. Also present was her younger sister Melissa who was asleep in her bedroom. Stacy was waiting to leave for work. Other members of the family had already left for their jobs.

Pretending that he was searching for a lost dog, Ward approached the Payne residence and convinced Stacy to allow him to enter the house. Thereafter Melissa awoke to the sound of Stacy screaming. Going to the top of the stairs Melissa saw a man lying on top of Stacy holding her down. Melissa then ran to her parents’ room and dialed 911. As she was talking on the telephone Melissa could hear her sister saying “please stop.”

Shortly thereafter the Dale Town Marshall arrived and saw Ward standing in the doorway, covered with perspiration, and holding a knife. Drawing his service revolver, the Marshall ordered Ward to the ground. Ward complied saying, “I didn’t do anything.”

The Marshall then went to the kitchen and found Stacy lying on the floor, nude from the waist down, covered with blood, and her intestines exposed. Although conscious, Stacy could not speak.

She was taken immediately to the emergency room of the Deaconess-St. Joseph Hospital where doctors noted a laceration to Stacy’s abdomen, a laceration to her back that severed her spine, and a laceration across Stacy’s neck cutting her trachea. Efforts to save Stacy’s life were unsuccessful.

A subsequent forensic examination revealed that Stacy suffered eighteen blunt force injuries, including injuries found within the vaginal vault.

http://murderpedia.org/male.W/w/ward-roy-lee.htm

On July 11, 2001, Ward's life of crime landed him on the doorstep of the Dale, Ind., home of Julie and Roger Payne and their three children, Brian, Melissa and Stacy.

Melissa, then 14, awoke from a nap to hear Stacy's screams. While Melissa hid in a closet and remained on the phone with a dispatcher, Ward cut a phone cord and then bound, beat and raped Stacy and cut her nearly in half. Police found Ward inside the home holding a knife. Stacy died hours later in a Louisville, Ky., hospital.
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2007/may/18/jury-to-decide-wards-fate-today/?printer=1/

Odd - why are most articles saying the killing happened yesterday afternoon. This one is saying Friday.

why did I think this happened Saturday. According to this article, the killing happened Friday?

Authorities said the victim's 12-year-old brother encountered an intruder in his home on Friday afternoon and the suspect fled, according to KCRA, a local television news station.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...e=domesticNews

Whomever did it, has a heck of a good head start if it's just hitting the media. Now I'm confused.

MOO

Mel

Investigators also want any information relating to people who may have unexplained injuries or who have left town unexpectedly after the crime was reported. A 24-hour tip line has been set up to answer calls regarding the case. That number is 754-6030.

They are continuing to interview several people. No suspects are in custody.

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/News/Local-News/Valley-Springs-manhunt-goes-on

christina heller ‏@CHeller_13 Assignment Editor•CBS Sacramento
3pm briefing expected on 9yo murder investigation and search for the killer in #Calaveras Co. #CBS13

Press Release Calavares County Sheriff
Sunday April 28th, 2013 :: 10:30 a.m. PDT

All Sheriff press releases: https://local.nixle.com/calaveras-county-sheriffs-office/

Update #3 to Homicide Investigation Involving Child Victim in Valley Springs
Update: 10:15 am

Investigators are still processing the crime scene on Rippon Road in Valley Springs while multiple surrounding agencies assist the Sheriff’s Office continuing an area search of the neighborhood and following up on tips from the public.

The Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office will hold an official press briefing at 3:00pm today at the Sheriff’s sub-station in Valley Springs located at 200 Highway 12 to update information relating to the homicide investigation.

No further information is available at this time.

The Calaveras County Sheriff and District Attorney’s Office continue to investigate the homicide of a nine year old child at a residence on Rippon Road in Valley Springs, CA. Multiple law enforcement agencies are still searching the area for a suspect described as a White or Hispanic male approx. six foot tall, muscular build, last seen wearing a black long sleeved shirt and blue pants. This suspect is considered armed and dangerous.

If you see someone in the area matching the suspect’s description, report it immediately to the Sheriff’s Office and call 9-1-1.
This is still an active investigation.
An area search of Valley Springs continued throughout the night and into Sunday.

Investigators are continuing to interview several people. There are no suspects in custody.
Investigators would like any information relating to subjects who may have unexplained injuries or who have left town unexpectedly after the crime was reported.

A 24 hour Tip Line has been set up to answer calls regarding this case. The phone number is (209) 754-6030.

Okay, so it sounds to me like the intruder came in and attacked the 9 year old.
THEN the 12 year old saw him after that attack happened.
Then after the intruder was gone, the 12 year old found the 9 year old.

I think the neighbor does definitely make it clear there was an intruder. :twocents:

“She was suffering from some severe injuries,” said Cpt. Jim Macedo.

Deputies say the girl’s 12-year-old brother find an intruder inside.

A neighbor told police they saw the same man running from the home. A quarter mile perimeter was set up around the house- and agencies from all over the foothills were called in to help.

“We were doing a house-to-house search and in some cases were searching attics and storages. It’s a difficult area to search. It’s rural, it’s remote,” said Macedo.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013...fs-deputies-investigating-9-year-olds-murder/

Rippon Road
Calaveras County, CA

it may not be in an incorporated area...

We recently spent spring break with my friend in Valley Springs; it is very TINY and rural. I spoke with her late last night, and she said that she knows at least two law enforcement officers who live on the same street that the crime occurred. Also, for want of a better word the town is not culturally diverse.

KCRAOrdaz ‏@KCRAOrdaz 2m

Neighbors in Valley Springs say following the murder of a 9-year old girl, they are armed and the intruder should watch out.

:scared:

SO it appears brother and sister are home alone around noon on a saturday, intruder accesses home, somehow encounters 9 yr old and stabs her. At some point is encountered elsewhere in home by 12 year old brother. Intruder may not have seen brother but brother fur sure saw intruder. Calls mom and dad, intruder in house, mom and dad call 911. Intruder slips from home, is witnessed by neighbor.

This scares me. Broad daylight, typical saturday afternoon, very scary. Wonder if the perp had been casing area houses and because the vehicle or vehicles were gone assumed the home was empty of occupants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow