CA - Lily Burk, 17, Los Angeles, 24 July 2009

Whoever did this to her, most likely has been picked up for other crimes in the past. California takes buccal swabs of anyone arrested or charged with any felony, so maybe the DNA in the car or on her body will aid in identifying this cold blooded creep(s).

Criminals 'profile' their victims as well. She was an easy target:
Young pretty girl catches someones eye
She drives a pricey autor ( family must have money )
Approaches her in the parking lot, goes for the purse but no real dollars found, hence the ATM rounds.

Am guessing this person has a drug problem.
I think you may be right about drug money being the motive, being where the car was found. So sad ~ she was a beautiful young woman with her life ahead of her. :cry: MOO

This world has changed, many more desperate people out there. I think the 'LOW PROFILE' look may become more popular with crime on the rise.

This is no consolation at all to the family, but in Los Angeles supposedly murders are down so low that homicide detectives are able to go back and open up cold cases and work on them. That is how I read they caught that female cop that supposedly killed that woman 25yrs ago. Go figure.

Lily Burk, age 17, was abducted Friday afternoon while running errands for her mother, an attorney and law professor.

When she didn't come home Friday evening, her parents reporter her missing. Burk lived with her parents in the Los Feliz section of Los Angeles, near Hollywood.

Her car containing her body was found in an industrial area just east of downtown Los Angeles. It appears that she was killed by blunt force trauma to the head in her car. News reports indicate that the police are closing in on her killer.

For more info:

http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2009/07/damn-it-not-again-abdustion-and-murder.html

Why oh why did they kill her?? i'm sure she would've given them anything. This was so sad to read.

It was really alameda and 5th. The first image is from KTLA showing where the car was found, the second image is from google maps. They said there was a struggle, she fought back. The area looks really deserted, some of those skid row areas downtown are packed with people. Obviously this area isn't.

a4th1.jpg

a4th2.jpg

When one of my son's got his first ATM card it had a Visa Logo on it. I had to tell him that he couldn't use it as a "Credit Card". When swiped, it only takes the money that we put in his account. So, maybe that's why she asked the parent's how to use it as a credit card?
I have two ATM, or debit, cards. One has a Visa logo and the other a Mastercard logo. They can be used as either debit or credit, and typically I choose to use mine as credit seeing as there is a small free for using it as debit. Just as your sons, using it as credit indeed only withdrawals from the money in the account.

What a tragic story. Fwiw, I've never assigned a pin number to any of my credit cards and would not be able to use them at an atm either.
I don't know my PIN numbers either. While my debit/credit cards come with one I usually store it in my filing cabinet and never give it a second thought.

She may have been trying to send a clue. Imo she was trying to get the money because she was being robbed. At 17 she probably did not have an account with an atm card, but only a CC her parents gave her for gas etc. Most people I know can't use their CC's at an atm because they don't have a pin. Also atm cards can look like CC's but they are not.
I got my first ATM card when I was 16 and yes, it was in my name. I had my own checking and savings account. So did most of my friends. She quite possibly did have her own ATM card, but as I stated above, she may not have known her PIN number so she would have been unable to withdrawal money from an ATM machine.

HOPE THIS IS TRUE!!!! IF SO, I JUST ROLLED OUT OF BED TO GOOD NEWS.

Suspect Arrested In Death Of 17-year-old LA Girl
LOS ANGELES (AP) ― Police have arrested a 50-year-old man on investigation of killing a 17-year-old girl found dead in her car in downtown Los Angeles over the weekend.

Police announced Monday morning that Charlie Samuel of Los Angeles is being held without bail at a downtown Los Angeles jail.

Officials say the body of high school student Lily Burk was found in her black Volvo on Saturday and that she appeared to have head injuries.

Police say Burk is believed to have been the victim of a botched robbery.

No other details surrounding Samuel's arrest have been released.

Family friends say Burk was about to begin her senior year at Oakwood School in North Hollywood.

http://cbs5.com/wireapnewsca/Suspect.arrested.in.2.1102395.html

It is being reported here also. What a senseless crime. A 50 yr old man trying to rob a 17yr old girl. He didn't have to kill her especially in the manner in which he did. It sounds like she was unable to get money out, called her parents to find out how, tried again and it still didn't work and he got frustrated and angry.
http://www.ktla.com/news/custom/mostinteresting/ktla-girl-found-dead-in-car,0,4409784.story

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/07/arrest-made-in-slaying-of-lily-burk.html

There is going to be a presser at 11:00am

On a side note - Lily looks SO much like a friend of mine it is uncanny. When I first saw her picture my stomach hit the floor. She was a beautiful, interesting looking girl who obviously posessed a strong aesthetic sense along with her intelligence and zest for life.

Great news! Well great under the circumstances. Another off the streets.

I was hoping the would be arrested very quickly. Seeing the camera in yesterday's newsclip looked promising! Hope they got him on tape and it will be a slam-dunk case for the needle!!!!

Live news: Arrest in teen murder
Upcoming Live Video
11:00am PT Jul 27, 2009
<snipped>
Police hold a news conference to announce details of an arrest in the murder of a Los Feliz teen.

Charlie Samuel was arrested for the murder of 17-year-old Lily Burk, whose body was found Saturday morning near East 4th Street and Alameda Street.

Article:
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/livenow?id=6934710

This is a link to the live news conference for today at 11AM Pacific Time!

:angel:

Suspect arrested in death of 17-year-old LA girl
Posted: 07/27/2009 06:27:18 AM PDT
Updated: 07/27/2009 06:29:07 AM PDT
<snipped>
LOS ANGELES (AP) &#8212; Police have arrested a 50-year-old man on investigation of killing a 17-year-old girl found dead in her car in downtown Los Angeles over the weekend.

Police announced today morning that Charlie Samuel of Los Angeles is being held without bail at a downtown Los Angeles jail.

Officials say the body of high school student Lily Burk was found in her black Volvo on Saturday and that she appeared to have head injuries.

Police say Burk is believed to have been the victim of a botched robbery.

No other details surrounding Samuel's arrest have been released.

Article:
http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12922122?nclick_check=1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Slain girl had been 'looking forward to her life'
As the police homicide investigation continues, the parents of 17-year-old Lily Burk, found dead in her car Saturday in downtown L.A., reflect on their daughter's life.
July 27, 2009
<snipped>
"The thing we want people to know about Lily is that she was a beautiful person and that she was looking forward to her life. She was funny, warm, kind and empathetic. She was deeply and widely loved," read the statement from Deborah Drooz and Gregory Burk, a Times freelancer who writes about pop music.

Lily Burk was supposed to begin her senior year at Oakwood School in North Hollywood in the fall.

Burk's body was found about 6 a.m. Saturday in the passenger seat of her black Volvo on the fringe of downtown Los Angeles near Alameda and 5th streets. The car was parked in a lot surrounded by warehouses and lofts.

Her parents said she left Friday afternoon to pick up exams for her mother, an attorney and an adjunct professor at Southwestern University School of Law on Wilshire Boulevard. She picked up the papers, but more than an hour later, she made separate calls to each of her parents asking about her credit card.

They grew worried when she didn't come back by 5 p.m.

"Lily was looking forward to going to college, to being a writer, to what was ahead," her parents said in the statement. "She had a really bright future and it was cut short. If there is anything that people can take away from this horrible tragedy, it's that life is fragile and that they should live every minute of it fully."

Over the weekend, classmates and family friends of Lily Burk, 17, of Los Feliz gathered to mourn her death and remember her life. "She was deeply and widely loved,&#8221; read a statement that her parents put out.
48297131.jpg

Article:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-burk27-2009jul27,0,3198482.story
The Death of Lily Burk&#8230;Arrest &#8220;Imminent&#8221;
July 27th, 2009 by Celeste Fremon
<snipped>
The official word from the LAPD is that an arrest is &#8220;imminent&#8221; in the murder of 17-year-old Lily Burk. Unofficially, however, a couple of the officers with whom I&#8217;ve been talking tonight have dropped several large hints that the police have already picked up their suspect but that he (and someone did say &#8220;he&#8221;) has not yet been booked.

But logic suggests that the person in question is presently in the company of the LAPD. I am writing this post at about 1:30 a.m., and am told that there will be word this morning.

In the meantime, police have said that Lily was randomly targeted, and that she did not know the person who attacked her.

I do know also know from my talks with Central division that the detectives have been concentrating their investigation in the neighborhoods nearby to the division, not elsewhere, which likely means the Skid Row area or thereabout.

****************************************************************************************
NOTE ONE: There are many other issues and stories to talk about. I will get to some of them later today. Some late tonight. For now, I&#8217;m staying on this story.
****************************************************************************************
NOTE TWO: Because Greg Burk, Lily Burk&#8217;s father, is a writer (He worked for years at the LA Weekly), and because Lily was a student at Oakwood, a school that tends to draw creative types, Lily Burk&#8217;s friends (and her parents&#8217; friends and her friends&#8217; parents) tend to be, as a group, very articulate. As a consequence, there are a a lot of people around the web expressing their anguish with painful clarity.

Nancy Rommelman is one. &#8230;.Another is the former 60 Minutes producer who blogs at The Heathen. Still another is my friend, Nick Goldberg, the LA Times Deputy Editorial Pages Editor, who has been acting the family&#8217;s spokesman.

And then there are Lily&#8217;s friends, many of whom have written heartbreaking notes on the web page that has been set up on Facebook in her memory.

Article:
http://witnessla.com/crime-and-punishment/2009/admin/the-death-of-lily-burkarrest-immanent/
UPDATED: Suspect Arrested in Teen Girl Murder
Updated: Monday, 27 Jul 2009, 7:11 AM PDT
Published : Monday, 27 Jul 2009, 6:20 AM PDT
<snipped>
Charlie Samuel, 50, of Los Angeles was booked for murder and being held without bail, the LAPD reported. He was arrested Sunday night, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Web site.

The teen "is believed to have been the victim of a botched robbery," according to the LAPD statement.

Officials will hold a news conference on the case at LAPD headquarters in downtown Los Angeles later this morning, when details of Samuel's arrest are expected to be released.

No cause of death was given, pending an autopsy.

Lily was reportedly their only child.

Article:
http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/Suspect_Arrested_in_Teen_Girl_Murder_20090727
Body of Teen Girl Found Near Skid Row
Updated: Sunday, 26 Jul 2009, 10:15 PM PDT
Published : Sunday, 26 Jul 2009, 5:30 PM PDT
<snipped>
Lily Belle Burk's body was found in the passenger seat of her black Volvo around 6:30 a.m. Saturday near Alameda and Fourth streets, said Rosario Herrera of the Los Angeles Police Department.

The teen, who was an incoming senior at Oakwood School in North Hollywood, left her Los Feliz home for the Southwestern University School of Law on an errand around 2 p.m. Friday afternoon and never returned, police said in a statement.

More than an hour later, she made two phone calls to each of her parents asking them how to get cash using her credit card at an ATM, police said.

She was not heard from again, and her parents reported her missing around 7 p.m. Friday.

VIDEO REPORT INCLUDED IN ARTICLE!

Article:
http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/Body_of_Teen_Girl_Found_Near_Skid_Row_20090726

Sorry if some of these have been posted already....trying to do some catching up here at WS's from being on vacation! :wink:

FACEBOOK: RIP Lily Burk, you will be missed
For anyone who would like to write something:
We are collecting letters or notes addressed to Lily or her parents and putting them in a book for the Burks to have. Her parents would like as many letters, memories, and stories as possible. If any of you would prefer to e-mail these to me, we will not read them unless you ask me to. You can e-mail Anna, Emma, or Jack. We'd really love anything, from an impression you got to a specific moment you shared with Lily--really, any memories are meaningful and valuable to us.
Thank you.

Link:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107366431193

Many heartfelt messages are being left on this memorial facebook page, from her many friends & people who care, like all of us here at WS's! :cry:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627