CA - Linda Anne O’Keefe, 11, strangled, Newport Beach, 6 Jul 1973 *ARREST in 2019*

cybervampira

Reaction score
‘My killer was never found’: Police live tweet a murdered girl’s last day alive in 1973

On the morning of July 6, 1973, Linda Anne O’Keefe woke up for summer school and put on the white dress her mother made for her, the one with the light blue flowers and the dark blue trim. She pulled her hair back in a ponytail, slipped on her matching dark blue tennis shoes with white ankle socks, and headed out the door for what would be the last time.

[...]

By the next morning O’Keefe’s body would be discovered lying in a ditch. She had been strangled.

Her killer was never caught. But on Friday, the 45th anniversary of her death, the Newport Beach, Calif., Police Department unveiled a new lead in the case — albeit a small one — using DNA technology unavailable at the time but that has since revived countless cold cases across the country. Before revealing it, to bring the case back to life, the police department used Twitter to recount O’Keefe’s final hours and witnesses’ final glimpses of her using details from the investigation. The tweets started about 7 a.m. Friday morning, about the time O’Keefe woke up for school, and ended just before midnight, the last time someone heard her scream.

[...]

Newport Beach Police on Twitter
Have you been following #LindasStory? All of the tweets have been collected in a Moment here:
#LindasStory

[...]

9C8AE4C4-2C4E-4E2C-AAEB-03A25624AD71.jpeg DB780F36-0088-4AB8-B0C6-BB0012407B42.jpeg B50A9376-E0B8-4520-8DF9-56FBE5BC6E72.jpeg 8DE007DF-EF78-4750-BDFB-D9C6AD52FB2E.jpeg 6314F4FB-7614-4099-96FC-5FC39F5AA904.jpeg 539C7FF5-64A9-4146-A9CB-03478260A151.png 7D5329A9-C794-4DDB-BAD0-9B0F0CEEADBE.png

A spokeswoman for the Newport Beach Police Department told the Los Angeles Times that police decided to announce the development alongside the story of O’Keefe’s last day as a way to humanize a case that has faded from the public consciousness.

“It’s an old case from 45 years ago and it might be hard for people to form the emotional attachment to that,” the spokeswoman, Jennifer Manzella, told the newspaper. “But we think Linda is due that.”

#LindasStory: Newport Beach Police Revisit Cold Case in Real Time Via Twitter

NBC Los Angeles on Twitter

Thanks for posting. I was just getting ready to post this in the Cold Case thread. Maybe we can get the mods to move this over there, since her body was found and she's not missing.

It seems at one point, many were wondering if she was a victim of Rodney Alcala, but the DNA profile of her killer doesn't match. Hopefully, someone will come forward!

Newport Beach police release DNA profile of possible suspect in girl’s 1973 slaying

The witness description at the time sure sounds like the same guy. He was parked on the side of the road in a turquoise van.

A girl and her mother who saw Linda walking the day she disappeared told detectives that she had stopped near the intersection of Marguerite Avenue and Inlet Drive, where a turquoise van was parked along the curb with its door ajar. The driver was described as a man in his mid-20s or early 30s with curly hair, police said.

Last edited:
Wonder if they will be using GEDMatch like in the two cases in Washington the Golden State killer in California. Seems they have DNA to get this picture of him.
I hope so!!

Hoping for Justice for Linda!
rose-smiley.gif

These are the tweets from the Newport Beach Police:

Newport Beach Police‏Verified account @NewportBeachPD Jul 5
PRESS RELEASE: Linda O'Keefe Homicide - http://nixle.us/A8YQ8 Starting tomorrow at 7:45 am, #LindasStory will be told here, through our Twitter account. Please see the press release for more information.

DhWqAJ_U0AAV5nQ.jpg

Newport Beach Police‏Verified account @NewportBeachPD Jul 6
For the next two days, NBPD will suspend normal Twitter activity. Instead of our regular content, we will be posting about a cold case homicide from 1973. Follow along as Linda O’Keefe tells you her story. #LindasStory Link to press release: http://nixle.us/A8YQ8
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hi. I’m Linda O’Keefe (or Linda ANN O’Keefe, if I’m in trouble with my mom). Forty-five years ago today, I disappeared from Newport Beach. I was murdered and my body was found in the Back Bay. My killer was never found. Today, I’m going to tell you my story.” #LindasStory

“I was 11 years old on the day I disappeared. It’s kinda strange… that year (1973), July 6 also fell on a Friday. It was a cool day. Cooler than usual. The high was about 70 degrees.” #LindasStory

“Orchid Avenue. That’s the street I grew up on. It’s a small house, and we’ve lived here most of my life. At 8:00 am, I walk out my front door… and have no idea that it will be the last time. My piano teacher is giving me a ride to summer school.” #LindasStory

Dhbjw_hUcAAt223.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘My killer was never found’: Police live tweet a murdered girl’s last day alive in 1973

On the morning of July 6, 1973, Linda Anne O’Keefe woke up for summer school and put on the white dress her mother made for her, the one with the light blue flowers and the dark blue trim. She pulled her hair back in a ponytail, slipped on her matching dark blue tennis shoes with white ankle socks, and headed out the door for what would be the last time.

[...]

By the next morning O’Keefe’s body would be discovered lying in a ditch. She had been strangled.

Her killer was never caught. But on Friday, the 45th anniversary of her death, the Newport Beach, Calif., Police Department unveiled a new lead in the case — albeit a small one — using DNA technology unavailable at the time but that has since revived countless cold cases across the country. Before revealing it, to bring the case back to life, the police department used Twitter to recount O’Keefe’s final hours and witnesses’ final glimpses of her using details from the investigation. The tweets started about 7 a.m. Friday morning, about the time O’Keefe woke up for school, and ended just before midnight, the last time someone heard her scream.

[...]

Newport Beach Police on Twitter

[...]

View attachment 138113 View attachment 138114 View attachment 138115 View attachment 138116 View attachment 138117 View attachment 138118 View attachment 138119

A spokeswoman for the Newport Beach Police Department told the Los Angeles Times that police decided to announce the development alongside the story of O’Keefe’s last day as a way to humanize a case that has faded from the public consciousness.

“It’s an old case from 45 years ago and it might be hard for people to form the emotional attachment to that,” the spokeswoman, Jennifer Manzella, told the newspaper. “But we think Linda is due that.”

#LindasStory: Newport Beach Police Revisit Cold Case in Real Time Via Twitter

NBC Los Angeles on Twitter

I like the approach that they took with this, a social media blitz. At the same time, if they have DNA in Parabon labs for sketch, they might as well go the Golden State Killer route and upload it to GEDmatch and track his family tree

“Time for first period. Here we go. School isn’t really my thing. I get Bs. Cs. A couple of Ds. And I *hate* doing my homework. I’m not too fond of school in general, I guess. But – not to brag – I’m really good at spelling. And I love science class.” #LindasStory

“I love the piano. Before I had piano lessons, I would go to the Hammond Organ Studio in my neighborhood and play their organs and pianos for hours at a time. I also love painting and crafts. My mom says I’m ‘artistically inclined’.” #LindasStory

“Break time! It’s still a little chilly out, so I wrap my green ski jacket a little tighter around me as I head out the classroom door.” #LindasStory

“I’m wearing a dress today… It’s white, with light blue flowers on it, and dark blue trim. My mom made it. She makes a lot of my clothes, and my sisters’ clothes. She’s really good at sewing, and we don’t have a lot of money for fancy store outfits anyhow.” #LindasStory

Dhbzr-CV4AAFFwa.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Back to class. Time for second period. I should’ve had a snack during break…” #LindasStory

“I’m still getting used to the schedule here. I go to Lincoln Intermediate School… which was a middle school back in 1973, although I hear it’s an elementary school now. A lot has changed between the last time I was here, and what it looks like in 2018.” #LindasStory

Dhb4VefUEAEyDbv.jpg

“Along with my homemade dress, I’m wearing dark blue tennis shoes with white trim, and thick white ankle socks. My hair used to be shorter, but now it is long and brown, and I am wearing it in a ponytail today.” #LindasStory
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Time for another break. I have a few coins in my bag, so I head over to Richard’s Market. It’s only a block and a half away, so I can get over there and back in time for my next class.” #LindasStory

DhcARZ7UcAEV6Dc.jpg

“What to buy, what to buy…? I settle on a pack of gum, and hurry back to school in time for the next period to start.” #LindasStory

“Third period. Halfway there. Gosh, I wish it was a weekend day today... Then I could go to the beach. I LOVE the beach. This is the first summer that mom and dad let me go by myself, since we live so close.” #LindasStory

“I’m a pretty quiet kid, I guess. I don’t talk as much as some people, that’s for sure! People call me shy. My parents say I’m ‘sensitive’, which I think means that I’m an easy crier. It’s true.” #LindasStory
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Not all crying is the same, though. The last time I cried-REALLY cried-was a few months ago. We have three cats and one of them died. They told me she had cancer, but I don’t really know what that means. I missed her SO MUCH for weeks and weeks after she was gone.” #LindasStory

DhcN--QUcAAEuSm.jpg

“That’s the end of third period. Mrs. McWilliams has been my teacher all morning, but I’ll have Mrs. Hoover next. One class with her, and then school is out for the day!” #LindasStory

“It’s time for our last period of the day. Whew. I’d so much rather be watching TV right now! I love TV. I’ll watch at home, of course… but I also like to go to Fashion Island and watch the big TVs in the stores.” #LindasStory
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Besides mom and dad and me, there are two more in the family. Both sisters. My big sister is 18 and has a real job! She works at a dry cleaners. She still lives with us, so I get to see her a lot. My little sister is only 9 1/2. She and I are really close.” #LindasStory

“Finally, school is over. Like everyone else in the classroom, I’m getting excited about how to spend the rest of my afternoon, or what I want to do this weekend. I obviously don’t know it yet, but… I won’t get to have a weekend.” #LindasStory

“Usually, I ride my bike to school. The ride home is easy, because it’s almost all downhill. But today, I got a ride to school, so no bike. I’m going to call my mom and see if she’ll pick me up, so I don’t have to walk home.” #LindasStory

DhcfI5aX4AADc3h.jpg

“The lady in the school office said I need to wait. School’s only been out for a few minutes, and my mom hasn’t had time to get here yet, so I can’t use the phone yet. Adults always have rules for stuff like this.” #LindasStory
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I know my mom isn’t planning to pick me up, so I head back towards Richard’s Market, just to waste some time until I can call her. My friend Brenda (from third period) skips past me with another girl, and says hi.” #LindasStory

“A turquoise van is driving up Harbor View Road. Brenda (who has turned around started skipping backwards now) will later tell the police that the van stops next to me a couple times as I’m walking along, but she’s too far away to hear if anyone talks to me.” #LindasStory

“I’m back in the school office, and the lady lets me call my mom for a ride home this time. It doesn’t go well. She is busy with a sewing project and tells me that I can walk home. It makes me upset, and I cry. I’m an easy crier, remember?” #LindasStory

“Still sniffling, I leave the office. I know they say I’m lazy, but I just reeeeaaaallly don’t like walking. My parents get annoyed when I ask for a ride home from school, because it’s such a short walk. But I hate it. I wish I had my bike.” #LindasStory

“Even if I wanted to walk home (which I don’t) I wouldn’t leave right now. I’m still upset about not getting a ride home. I sit on the curb in front of the school, with my feet sticking out in the street. I’ll leave soon.” #LindasStory
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Late tonight, the police will talk to a young woman named Jannine. She and her mom are driving up Marguerite right now, and they see something they won’t forget for a long time. It’s me. And a turquoise van.” #LindasStory

“The van is parked along the curb, just before the intersection of Marguerite and Inlet Drive. The front passenger door is open, and I’m standing right beside it. Jannine will remember that she sees the driver: a man, white, in his mid-20s or early 30s.” #LindasStory

DhcrvWPU8AASkpn.jpg

“Jannine’s mom is suspicious. It must be a mom-instinct. As she turns on to San Joaquin Hills Road, she slows down and then pulls over.” #LindasStory

“‘If that van drives by, write down the license plate number,’ she tells Jannine. But the van doesn’t drive by. Her heart sinks a bit as she sees the van go straight up Marguerite. She can’t see how many people are inside.” #LindasStory
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“No one is concerned when I don’t come home from school right away. Or not TOO concerned, anyway. It’s a different time back in 1973, and kids roam the neighborhood on their bikes for hours at a time.” #LindasStory

“My mom also made the book bag I’m carrying. It’s red, white, and blue, with stars – and it feels very patriotic after the 4th of July. My mom made matching bags for all three of us (my sisters and me).” #LindasStory

Dhc87zmUwAAaNn4.jpg

“My mom made us matching stuff a lot. We have a photo from when my little sister was just a baby, and all three of us girls are in pink gingham dresses (you can’t tell, because the photo is black and white, but my big sister remembers).” #LindasStory

“I guess you can say that I’m a kinda moody kid. I’ve been acting out lately. Little stuff, like not coming home on time… just so that they know I’m upset. This new bad habit of mine is probably on my mom’s mind quite a bit this afternoon.” #LindasStory
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Mom's starting to get a little worried. She knows I was angry about her not picking me up, but she thought I’d sulk a bit and then come home to eat. It’s been three hours since she heard from me, which is a lot when you’re a young girl with no lunch in her stomach.” #LindasStory

“Let’s see… What else can I tell you about me?? I’ve always been *really* good at tidying up. Mom says I’m like a ‘little mother’ and always keep my room very neat. Whenever I clean up, I ask her to come see. I like hearing her tell me that I did a good job.” #LindasStory

DhdYYRVXcAAI3Ul.jpg

“Mom starts calling around to see if I’m at anyone’s house. I have several friends in the neighborhood, and friends from school – Cathy, Jim, Stacy, Mona, Mary Lou – but no one has seen me since I walked away from Lincoln Intermediate.” #LindasStory

“When my dad gets home from work, worry turns to action. We have two family cars. My dad gets in one, my big sister gets in the other, and they start to look for me. There’s a feeling that I’m being disobedient, not that anything is actually *wrong*.” #LindasStory
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“No luck. I’m a Girl Scout, and a member of the Corona del Mar Youth Center, so there’s a few places to check. I stopped going to the CdM Community Church a few months ago, but they check there too, just in case.” #LindasStory

Dhds-YRUcAAGluS.jpg

“Everyone returns home. Everyone but me, that is.” #LindasStory

“At 6:42 pm, the NBPD receives a call from a house on Orchid Avenue. Linda Ann O’Keefe is missing. Four feet tall, 85 pounds, long brown hair and blue eyes.” #LindasStory

“The search begins. My dad and sister join in again, in their separate cars. The police get to work, systematically checking the areas between my school and my house. My mom has made about 40 phone calls by now, trying to track me down.” #LindasStory
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Officers are searching everywhere. Back then, there were vacant fields south of Pacific View and east of Marguerite. They search the fields, the reservoir, the neighborhoods, the streets. Nothing.” #LindasStory

DheBkXsW0AARtBL.jpg

“The sun is setting, and still there’s no sign of me. My sister thinks I’m going to be in big trouble whenever they find me. My mom knows I’d never stay out past dark.” #LindasStory

“A new theory – and a new hope. My good friend Cathy’s parents were sailing to Catalina tonight. Cathy wanted to stay over at my house, but my mom had said no. Maybe Cathy and I had both gone with them on the sailing trip?” #LindasStory

“Every police officer in the city is looking for me. They eventually track down Cathy’s parents’ slip, and see that their boat is gone. Could I have been so angry that I’d left town with my friend and not told anyone?” #LindasStory

“The officers find some men on a boat in the next slip and interview them. Yes, the men saw the boat leave a few hours ago. With six adults on board. And no little girls.” #LindasStory
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Officers are searching Fashion Island. The Back Bay. On foot. By car. By helicopter. Jeeps are used in the places the patrol cars can’t get to. Still… nothing.” #LindasStory

Dhej7R0V4AA18QU.jpg

“The Catalina Harbor Department check the Avalon Harbor for Cathy’s parents. They haven’t arrived yet, but – when they do – the NBPD wants to make sure that I didn’t run away with them. My mom hopes that the men on the next boat over were wrong.” #LindasStory

“Jannine knocks on the door of my house and asks to talk to a Detective. The image of the little girl and the turquoise van is still burning in her mind, and she heard that a little girl who lives here might be missing…” #LindasStory

“A lady in the bluffs above Back Bay hears a female voice outside, screaming ‘Stop, you’re hurting me’. She listens, but hears nothing more. She doesn’t know that I’m missing. That I’ll be dead by morning. That I’ll be found a couple hundred yards from her home.” #LindasStory
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back