Identified! CA - Long Beach - WhtMale 15-19 - 1392UMCA - 'Paid' stamp on hand- Jun'78 - Kenneth Nevada Williams

An update is likely to take awhile, yes? I see on other threads LE saying DNA can take months and in this case they would have to find the UID’s brother or estranged mother or another family member first. I hope for Michelle’s sake it’s fast but in all likelihood it may not be.

An update is likely to take awhile, yes? I see on other threads LE saying DNA can take months and in this case they would have to find the UID’s brother or estranged mother or another family member first. I hope for Michelle’s sake it’s fast but in all likelihood it may not be.
It’s great to see that LE is currently working on this lead, i really want to see this case solved

Came across this thread after seeing a composite of this uid and i was astonished at how much that sketch looked like a living person that i know who is Jewish of Russian ancestry. fwiw.
Have you seen this child? JOHN DOE1978
John Doe1978
NCMU1184172c1.jpg

• Date Found
    • Jun 3, 1978
    • Location Found
    • Long Beach, CA
    • Estimated Age
    • 15-19
    • Sex
    • Male
    • Race
    • White
    • Hair Color
    • Brown
    • Eye Color
    • Hazel
    • Estimated Height
    • 5'7"
    • Estimated Weight
    • 130 lbs
On June 3, 1978, the body of an unidentified white male was found lying on the pavement of Division Street, half a block east of Corona Street in Long Beach, California. He had been deceased less than 24 hours. The John Doe is believed to have been between 15 and 19 years of age. He was 5?7? and weighed approximately 130 lbs. He had hazel eyes and brown hair that extended just below his ears. He had a slim build with fair skin and a 3/8 inch scar half an inch above his right eyebrow. He was found wearing a light blue t-shirt (size 42-44), blue jeans (?Levi? brand), a brown leather belt, blue socks and blue and white tennis shoes with brown soles (?Redwing? brand). The John Doe also had a faint stamp on the back of his hand that read ?PAID?. The featured reconstruction is an artist?s rendering of what the John Doe may have looked like. Anyone with information should contact the Los Angeles County Coroner, reference case number 78-6979.

Exclusions as of 22 December 2019 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

MP9222 Robert Coe 03/12/1978 Travis TX
MP22913 Donald Dumas 07/14/1971 Los Angeles CA
MP17638 Jose Espinoza 04/13/1977 Los Angeles CA
MP17622 Daniel Hoffer 05/28/1975 Los Angeles CA
MP7666 John Hundley 10/15/1964 Hamilton OH
MP1752 Christopher King 08/02/1974 San Bernardino CA
MP23609 Andrew Mantheiy 05/19/1977 Shasta CA
MP12064 David Stack 06/01/1976 Broomfield CO
Canada -- Jean Vincent
MP30551 Patrick Wright 12/05/1975 San Francisco CA

I was surprised to see the hi-res postmortem on Namus today, totally different than the usual low-quality picture of him.

He looks much younger, healthy, tanned skin with lots of freckles on and around his nose. Has freckles been mentioned before?

HQ postmortem at link:
https://www.namus.gov/api/CaseSets/NamUs/UnidentifiedPersons/Cases/4428/Images/69425/Original

I saw the new PM photo a couple nights ago but didn't want to post the link here because I saw it on a wiki site, not on an MSM or NamUs. I didn't want to post the picture, either, because it punched me in the gut when I saw it & didn't want to blindside anyone, like I had been. I was expecting to see the previously released one, so this one took me by surprise.
He does look much younger, and those freckles! They brought tears to my eyes. I don't recall the freckles being mentioned.

I saw the new PM photo a couple nights ago but didn't want to post the link here because I saw it on a wiki site, not on an MSM or NamUs. I didn't want to post the picture, either, because it punched me in the gut when I saw it & didn't want to blindside anyone, like I had been. I was expecting to see the previously released one, so this one took me by surprise.
He does look much younger, and those freckles! They brought tears to my eyes. I don't recall the freckles being mentioned.
I felt the same...just a baby. Poor kid.

I feel exactly the same, this case has stuck with me for a long time. He didn't deserve this cruel fate.

that new postmortem photo makes him look 10 years younger than the blurry pale one... i have no doubt anymore that this guy could be a teenager.
Maybe I'm just seeing things but does anyone else think he looks extremely like Andy Lepley? weight is the same, height is only 2 inches off, i think facial features match up pretty well, he has the coppery complexion that Andy was described with, and when i zoom it i think?? i see freckles on Andy's face. This wouldn't match up with Andy's circumstances at all to be honest, LE believes he was abducted 2 years earlier but i don't think foul play was ever proven.
Original
Original

I should also mention that Andy is described as having a 'deformed, scarred hand' which is not mentioned for the UID, but there are photos of Andy online playing basketball for his school and his hand, imo, is not visibly deformed.
upload_2020-6-14_16-16-39.png

Last edited by a moderator:
that new postmortem photo makes him look 10 years younger than the blurry pale one... i have no doubt anymore that this guy could be a teenager.
Maybe I'm just seeing things but does anyone else think he looks extremely like Andy Lepley? weight is the same, height is only 2 inches off, i think facial features match up pretty well, he has the coppery complexion that Andy was described with, and when i zoom it i think?? i see freckles on Andy's face. This wouldn't match up with Andy's circumstances at all to be honest, LE believes he was abducted 2 years earlier but i don't think foul play was ever proven.
Original
Original

I should also mention that Andy is described as having a 'deformed, scarred hand' which is not mentioned for the UID, but there are photos of Andy online playing basketball for his school and his hand, imo, is not visibly deformed.
View attachment 251288

I would think Joe would be a good candidate for this UP:
CASE NUMBER - 1107UMCO

But both sets of remains and Joe have DNA and dentals, so I would hope one of those identifiers would have flagged a match by now if they were matches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a big diffrence a photo made. I wonder why namus didn't use this one from the start. Somebody must recognize him!

I agree, has anyone heard from Michelle the poster who believed that John Doe was her foster brother? A poster here found a picture of her foster brother Jeff Daum, in a 1974 San Diego yearbook. (I used his name since it has already been used)

I just looked at the photo of her brother again, and I do think he looks a lot like the post mortem photo of the John Doe, especially the better quality one.

About the Andy Lepley theory, I doubt it's him, but the nose looks very more than similar....

I would think Joe would be a good candidate for this UP:
CASE NUMBER - 1107UMCO

But both sets of remains and Joe have DNA and dentals, so I would hope one of those identifiers would have flagged a match by now if they were matches.
on Andy Joe Lepley's NamUs page someone had the same idea because 1107UMCO is listed as a ruleout! I couldn't find an answer online, does NamUs automatically compare DNA and make a rule-out even if its not listed under the rule-out list? I know that NamUs flags potential matching cases but I thought that the agencies still had to go in and manually compare DNA or dentals so that no cases are inadvertently ruled-out.
I recommend you delete the photo and put a link to it instead. People might be disturbed by it.
you're right, sorry! it's too late for me to edit the post now but i could report it for deletion and then re-do the post.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back