CA CA - Lydia "Dia" Abrams, 65, Idyllwild, 6 Jun 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you eliminate the "drama" surrounding this case , the lack of evidence of a homicide, the basic circumstances of her disappearance. Sherlock said it best "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
Please know I'm trying understand that you think maybe the simplest way to look at this is that Dia must have gone for a walk and had an accident, and has not been found yet? Please, there is no "drama", there is only an unexplained missing woman, and now an ongoing battle over her estate. It seems you're disregarding that LE, initially, and probably still does, consider Dia's case a homicide. It's not inconceivable that some evidence was disregarded, missed, not made public. There's all kinds of things to still consider. MOO, there's plenty in this case that seems suspicious and undiscovered yet. MOO, someone could've hired a hit man. She may have been abducted, she may have been killed by someone close to her. There may be someone with a motive we haven't even figured out yet. It's possible she was taken to another location, county, or state and her remains hidden. This is just my own opinion though, and please do not take offense that I disagree with some of your theories.

Not mentioning names or even
initials because everybody here can figure it out if they're following this thread of late.
MOO, was he Dia's PT?
I think you're right. He might be her Personal Trainer and / or Physical Therapist.
What does "PT" stand for?
Into fitness, La Jolla, so I'd guess Personal Trainer and Physical Therapist as well if he helped her recover from injuries and perhaps her hospitalization. This is all just my own speculation.
He needs to be questioned.
Oh my, if this person helped her after she was injured or hospitalized during the time mentioned before and when son visited her in hospital, this person could confirm if that story is true. Speculation only.
...but on pg. 9 of the Petition to Invalidate the Trust, relevant parties are listed with their addresses,
Thanks for finding it listed. I'm having trouble with my eyes lately, and appreciate it. LOL, :D probably why I'm glad we have some "fresh eyes" here.

Following up ... KH asserts he texted Dia ~ 4pm. Also that her phone was in its charger when he went to look for her ~ 7:30pm. Has there been any reported corroboration about that text? Its timing or content? Was it replied to?

MOO - I'm certain LE has has scoured the cell phone records and made a determination. "Logic" suggests that if records didn't substantiate KH's story then that would have been made known, though LE silence should not be taken as suggesting pro or con.

MOO - it appears cell phone reception is spotty in much of the area. A 4pm text DOES suggest KH expected Dia to be back in range by that time. Or possibly he was just checking in. Or, of course, he was trying to establish an alibi.

Yet another MOO (do you guys have a code for "possible scenario" in here? LOL) - it is entirely reasonable that Dia had made her way back to the ranch house after finishing whatever she was up to. Perhaps prior to the 4pm text, unless her phone was dead (unlikely, IMO, given her reported state of personal vigilance – and general common sens in that environment). Phone gets put on charger; jacket hung up; the .22 gets put away. Then someone comes up to the house (understood KH felt he would have seen someone go through the gate, but the gate wasn't really his focus). Dia feels no threat. Goes to talk to them; is abducted and taken off the property.

The question remains why. Motive? What recently changed? MOO The 22 May Trust and the alleged engagement to KH.

Conjecture and speculation follow:

MOO Both changes would seem concerning to the children. The Trust could be challenged in court. But a marriage?

MOO
The son's interview is unsettling. He tries to come off as simply wanting to know what happened to his mom but takes every opportunity to characterize KH in a suspicious way. This is also shown in the challenge to KH and DF being Trustees.

MOO His assertion that he didn't even know that KH existed until June 7 just don't ring true – does one automatically wonder if some guy you've never met or heard of before was loved by your mom when you first meet him?? Add to that the nonchalance he tries to exude when speaking of Dia's financial situation. He speaks of writing her cheques whenever she needed money, but her petition is partially premised on the children's failure to do so. He professes to love her "deeply and tenderly", but I noticed that none of his accolades for her touch upon anything regarding family (community; friends; neighbours? yes, but not family ... nothing about her being a wonderful mother or father) – yet "family" seems to be quite important to him. That's where his mom's properties belong, right? Perhaps her getting married was, in his mind, a family betrayal?

MOO Also - he apparently hired investigators and went "full throttle" to find out what happened. But when asked about the note(s) Dia allegedly wrote suggesting she feared for his life he shrugs it off and says he knows nothing about that – that's in the hands of the lawyers??? This is just not adding up.

MOO As I believe others have pointed out, the daughter in her only (?) public text doesn't refer to mom; she refers to "Dia".

MOO
Lastly for now - as @SoHelpMeGod earlier pointed out, the Candlelight Project permit expires tomorrow, August 9, 2021. Funding that project was important to Clem, and he involved his kids deeply in that. But not Dia. With the 2018 Estate Tax changes, funding would be less of an issue as the kids controlled everything. But with Dia now challenging all of that ... maybe not the kids, but perhaps a stakeholder in the project took it upon themselves to reduce that risk and things "got out of hand"?

Last edited:
MOO Lastly for now - as [B]@SoHelpMeGod[/B] earlier pointed out, the Candlelight Project permit expires tomorrow, August 9, 2021. Funding that project was important to Clem, and he involved his kids deeply in that. But not Dia. With the 2018 Estate Tax changes, funding would be less of an issue as the kids controlled everything. But with Dia now challenging all of that ... maybe not the kids, but perhaps a stakeholder in the project took it upon themselves to reduce that risk and things "got out of hand"?
Excellent post @sleuther007. You've done a great deal of astute thinking and reading. Had to break it down into smaller bits though.
I was impressed that you understood the importance of the Candlelight Project in the scheme of things . It may not be connected to Dia's disappearance and possible homicide, but it's worth noting, if I understand it all correctly, the project involves BIG money to the children eventually and would be very important to their future wealth.
Clem Abram's Candlelight Project in Otay Mesa (BBM) :
Page 130: Ownership
Pages 28-29: The Permit is granted Jul7 26, 2018 and expires August 9, 2021
Page 48:
1. This Tentative Map will expire August 9, 2021.
2. Compliance with all following conditions shall be completed and/or assured, to the satisfaction of the City Engineer, prior to the recordation of the Final Map, unless otherwise noted.
3. Prior to the recordation of the Final Map, taxes must be paid on this property pursuant to Subdivision Map Act section 66492. To satisfy this condition, a tax certificate stating that there are no unpaid lien conditions against the subdivision must be recorded in the Office of the San Diego County Recorder.
https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/pc-18-036_candlelight.pdf

There is ~$800,000 in defaulted property taxes on the 3 parcels that appear to make up the project using '8015 La Jolla Scenic' and '92037':
County of San Diego Treasurer - Tax Collector

There you go CuriousMe, the above is a possible link between property taxes and Dia's disappearance (FINALLY, she says...).

SPECULATION: If the family can't afford to pay the taxes right now and the project is delayed, project stakeholders might get angry over potential income loss.
If anyone missed this post back in the beginning about the Candlelight Project, here it is for you to read. @SoHelpMeGod lays it out how this project may fit in. It's all speculation, but interesting none the less. BBM and MOO.

I can't seem to find the status of this project now. Is it still in a holding pattern?
pc-18-036_candlelight.pdf (sandiego.gov)

Appendix A (sandiego.gov)

Current Projects (sandiegocounty.gov)

I'm guessing/hoping that if there were any abandoned wells or mines on the property that they were searched closely. Although I would think IF the dog was with her he would stay there with her even if she fell out of sight. My personal feeling for what they are worth is that something far more sinister happened but by eliminating all possibilities you come closer and closer to reality. I would think that cadaver dogs were used but at the time of search she had just gone missing. Maybe now is the time to revisit and send a team of dogs looking for her.

...Although I would think IF the dog was with her he would stay there with her even if she fell out of sight.
animated-dog-image-0503.gif
Not enough was reported about Dia's dog, that she always took with her even to the mailbox, someone had said. I went back to the first thread when it was the six missing looking for mention of the dog. I can't remember any confirmed statement of where that dog was found when KH noticed her missing. Anybody remember? The posts below mention the dog and also Dia's fear; however, it's been awhile since that member posted.

CA - CA - 4 (previously 6) individuals missing near Idyllwild, summer 2020 | Page 10 (websleuths.com)
Post 182
Thanks! Hopefully we can solve part of the puzzle here. I wish I could help my friend Dia.

On another note, I did find out about some rather terrifying events she experienced with an immediate family member in the past and lived in fear the last four years.
Post 190
The information that I received from Dia and I’s mutual friend was that she was planning to drive to San Diego/La Jolla on June 6, the day she disappeared. She was expected in San Diego that day but never arrived. And she NEVER left her house or went anywhere without her dog, even to go check the mail he was always by her side. The dog was still at her home/ranch when she couldn’t be located. This is a big red flag to me and could possibly be a clue that she left the property against her will. Her dog was a ranch dog and appeared to be some type of heeler/herding dog. I think you can see him walking in the shots of her ranch that were shown in the video of her fiancé speaking.

Going back trying to find mention of the dog in KH's telling of when he found Dia missing. Nope, he doesn't say the dog was inside when he got there. Where was her dog? Also, we weren't sure if the gun was located and some said she carried a different kind of gun.
Woman missing near Idyllwild was in court battle over multi-million dollar estate | cbs8.com
Author: David Gotfredson (Investigative Producer)
Published: 8:50 PM PDT August 25, 2020 Updated: 12:11 AM PDT August 26, 2020

"Harper said he had lunch with Abrams at the ranch that Saturday afternoon, and last saw her around 2:30 p.m. when he went to mow the grass and do some ranch work.

“I was down on the meadow, which is probably 100 yards down,” Harper said.

When he returned from his work around 7:30 that evening, Harper said Abrams was gone. She had left her cell phone, purse and Ford truck behind.

Harper said he assumed Abrams went for a hike. And, if she did go out walking, Harper said she would have been carrying a 22-caliber pistol.

“We had an incident out here where she killed five rattlers. So yeah, you carry a pistol when you hike out here,” he said.

By nightfall, Harper started knocking on neighbors’ doors and friends started organizing a search for the next morning."
animated-dividing-line-image-0230.gif

KH doesn't mention the dog or finding the gun along left behind with the truck , her cell, etc., ???

Dia may not be on the property means that there is a possibility that she could be. Eliminating the possibilities will leave the probabilities of other locations
BBM ^^^ Did you ever find, in reading up on the searches, if the pond or any wells were considered? No one in her family or her supposed fiancé has seemed eager to search further. The children say they hired PI's and attorneys, but haven't funded any search parties that I know.
I'm guessing/hoping that if there were any abandoned wells or mines on the property that they were searched closely. Although I would think IF the dog was with her he would stay there with her even if she fell out of sight. My personal feeling for what they are worth is that something far more sinister happened but by eliminating all possibilities you come closer and closer to reality. I would think that cadaver dogs were used but at the time of search she had just gone missing. Maybe now is the time to revisit and send a team of dogs looking for her.
BBM ^^^ Do you think Dia's remains might be on the property or nearby close to the ranch?

BBM ^^^ Did you ever find, in reading up on the searches, if the pond or any wells were considered? No one in her family or her supposed fiancé has seemed eager to search further. The children say they hired PI's and attorneys, but haven't funded any search parties that I know.
BBM ^^^ Do you think Dia's remains might be on the property or nearby close to the ranch?
From what I have been able to find out so far. They only searched that property those two days.

Reguarless of opinions, If it hasn't been searched thoroughly, she was known to hike, it's been a year without her being found. The probability is high until it has been ruled out.

Not enough was reported about Dia's dog, that she always took with her even to the mailbox, someone had said. I went back to the first thread when it was the six missing looking for mention of the dog. I can't remember any confirmed statement of where that dog was found when KH noticed her missing. Anybody remember? The posts below mention the dog and also Dia's fear; however, it's been awhile since that member posted.

CA - CA - 4 (previously 6) individuals missing near Idyllwild, summer 2020 | Page 10 (websleuths.com)
Post 182
Post 190

Good find regarding Dia's fear! It potentially lines up with KH's allegations. Poor lady.

By nightfall, Harper started knocking on neighbors’ doors and friends started organizing a search for the next morning."

Has this been substantiated? I was not aware of this?

Has this been substantiated? I was not aware of this?

Only by inference, as friends and neighbors did in fact show up the next morning to do a search. Later in the day someone called LE to let them that know Dia was missing. It is unclear if that person was involved with the initial search effort.

I do believe there was a lot of searching done for Dia in areas she usually would've walked, and the searches were done very soon after she went missing. Friends and neighbors searched Sunday, Sheriff searched Monday, and then RMRU (professional searchers) took over and did a two day search Tues. & Wed. That's a lot of searching right away.
RMRU notes of their search are here-- 2020-030

MOO, personally, I don't think she's on the property or nearby. I tend to suspect this was a homicide, and that the body was transported and hidden elsewhere.
Dia was noticed missing by Keith, her fiancé by 7:30 p.m. Saturday night. I understand it that he called friends and they came to search for her on Sunday. Then, the Sheriff was there on Monday.

Keith, her fiancé, was gone. He left in his RV on a business trip while Dia was still missing and the Sheriff was searching for her that Monday.
This case is tested my long-term memory skills. IIRC, KH told people of Dia missing Saturday night, then there was a search party of people on horseback on Sunday. Sunday's search was possibly just neighbors and farm hands. She was reported missing to LE on Sunday, but I believe the Sheriff just filed a report then, and was there on Monday to actually do their search. It is very possible Diana Sousa (neighbor) was there and may have reported her missing because she's mentioned in the first news article. There was a lot of confusion with the facts, saying Dia was seen headed someplace, wearing certain clothes, and that her family reported her missing-- but all of that is questionable and not really firm fact, as far as I can tell.
Local woman Dia Abrams is missing • Idyllwild Town Crier
June 10, 2020
“On Sunday, June 7, 2020, approximately 8:24 a.m., Hemet Station deputies were dispatched to the 58000 block of Bonita Vista in the city of Idyllwild [sic], reference a missing person. Dia Abrams was placed into the system as a missing person..."
[...]
"According to the Facebook post by Diana Souza, “Dia Abrams, 65, is missing from her ranch off Apple Canyon Road in Mountain Center. She has blonde hair and stands around 5’4” tall. She was last seen Saturday, June 6th around 2 p.m., wearing blue jeans, a yellow shirt and a black multi-colored windbreaker. She was heading to the Garner Valley area, however her vehicle, handbag, keys and cell phone were still at her home.”
I believe the Sheriff's Dept. started their search Monday. They called in RMRU to help and they were there Tuesday and Wednesday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. It does sound like a very thorough search was done. It sure is beautiful property. Were those dogs searching for a live Dia? Would they be able to track her by scent?
2020-030
"We were met there by Sheriff’s deputies, search dog team and Swat teams due to the ... "
"We were met there by Sheriff’s deputies, search dog team and Swat teams due to the ... "
So, those Professional Searchers RMRU were met by Sheriff's deputies and there was a search dog team there. Take note now, there was quite a thorough search for Dia right away.

MOO, MOO, MOO the Sheriff Dept. probably decided to call off the searching when they started to suspect it was a homicide. Remember, they did get a search warrant to go to another state to check out KH and confiscate evidence.

Last edited:
I do believe there was a lot of searching done for Dia in areas she usually would've walked, and the searches were done very soon after she went missing. Friends and neighbors searched Sunday, Sheriff searched Monday, and then RMRU (professional searchers) took over and did a two day search Tues. & Wed. That's a lot of searching right away.
RMRU notes of their search are here-- 2020-030

MOO, personally, I don't think she's on the property or nearby. I tend to suspect this was a homicide, and that the body was transported and hidden elsewhere.
This case is tested my long-term memory skills. IIRC, KH told people of Dia missing Saturday night, then there was a search party of people on horseback on Sunday. Sunday's search was possibly just neighbors and farm hands. She was reported missing to LE on Sunday, but I believe the Sheriff just filed a report then, and was there on Monday to actually do their search. It is very possible Diana Sousa (neighbor) was there and may have reported her missing because she's mentioned in the first news article. There was a lot of confusion with the facts, saying Dia was seen headed someplace, wearing certain clothes, and that her family reported her missing-- but all of that is questionable and not really firm fact, as far as I can tell.
Local woman Dia Abrams is missing • Idyllwild Town Crier
June 10, 2020
“On Sunday, June 7, 2020, approximately 8:24 a.m., Hemet Station deputies were dispatched to the 58000 block of Bonita Vista in the city of Idyllwild [sic], reference a missing person. Dia Abrams was placed into the system as a missing person..."
[...]
"According to the Facebook post by Diana Souza, “Dia Abrams, 65, is missing from her ranch off Apple Canyon Road in Mountain Center. She has blonde hair and stands around 5’4” tall. She was last seen Saturday, June 6th around 2 p.m., wearing blue jeans, a yellow shirt and a black multi-colored windbreaker. She was heading to the Garner Valley area, however her vehicle, handbag, keys and cell phone were still at her home.”

So, those Professional Searchers RMRU were met by Sheriff's deputies and there was a search dog team there. Take note now, there was quite a thorough search for Dia right away.

MOO, MOO, MOO the Sheriff Dept. probably decided to call off the searching when they started to suspect it was a homicide. Remember, they did get a search warrant to go to another state to check out KH and confiscate evidence.

I fully respect your opinion and I believe I already addressed this is my previous posts how the search during the first week was logistically incomplete. I must not be looking at the same property because to say that 100+ acres in rugged terrain has been "THOROUGHLY SEARCHED" is truly a inaccurate statement without the proper air support.

I am only speaking from my experience working homicide cases and running SAR's missions. I am not saying that she is up there 100% without a doubt. NO, what I am saying is, based on the info given and how the detectives called off the searching, means the search of the whole property in very incomplete. After a year, body is not found, it is easy to assume that she was taken, but without a completed search of the property side of the mountain, it cannot be 100% ruled out that she could be still on the property. A perfect example to prove my point is the case of Eliza Lam at the Cecil hotel. Her body was found 18 days after she went missing by a maintenance worker. They searched Lam's room and had dogs go through the building, including the rooftop, but the dogs were unsuccessful in detecting her scent. Would you also say that they did a throughout search? This is exactly the point I have been making. Unless every location has been searched on the property, it is not prudent to assume it is impossible for her to still be on the property. Her keys, purse, and dog was left behind and according to KH, no cars came through the gate.

...I must not be looking at the same property because to say that 100+ acres in rugged terrain has been "THOROUGHLY SEARCHED" is truly a inaccurate statement without the proper air support.
I appreciate your thoughts and your touch of sarcasm. ;) I do believe it's more likely a homicide, but I don't want to block out other possibilities or angles. It's just that what you call "drama", I call suspicious details.

I'm all for further searching and further investigating. Ideally, LE, but I think either the children or the fiancé, or a group should be eager to continue solving this mystery-- where is Dia?

Even though I'm more likely to see this as a homicide, there's still a pressing need to find the remains in any case. I agree it couldn't possibly be a thorough search of the whole of her ranch and surrounding Idyllwild terrain and area. (Of course, who knows the true story, if she was actually walking anyplace, as so little has been confirmed.) Please know though, I do honestly realize how easy it is to miss a body after Rosario Garcia was found seven months later. I was shocked to learn she was so close to her car out there. I hope you can arrange further searches for Dia and appreciate your interest in this case.
Rosario Garcia located after seven months • Idyllwild Town Crier
"One of those resources was WSAS. The team of four pilots came down from Utah and flew four drones from Jan. 22 to 24 taking thousands of images — 4,000 to be exact. The images were handed over to FOF. "

Tarr said, “By the evening of Jan. 24 we had images, and on a couple of images, with no doubt we could see it was Ms. Garcia. She was about 500 feet from her car down a steep embankment with her purse and identification inside of it.”

For clarity –

Local Dia Abrams still missing • Idyllwild Town Crier

"RMRU went out again on [Wednesday] June 10 to search more difficult areas on the property including a creek bed and the hills overlooking her ranch. All assignments were completed by 6 p.m. At that point, detectives took over the investigation and called off the physical ground search."

I am unclear under what department/jurisdiction the detectives operated. MOO Assume Riverside Sheriff?
NB: this occurs after the June 9 warrant was issued at 6pm concerning the grow op (see below) in which the CENTRAL HOMICIDE UNIT is mentioned.
---

Below may be duplicating previous work, but in consideration of the discussion about timelines ... here's a run down of (some of) the warrants served (which may serve as clues for LE focus and suspicions):

Source: Search warrants served in case of missing former La Jolla woman | cbs8.com

"In a June 8 search warrant served on the Bonita Vista Ranch, investigators seized a list of evidence, including a tan bed sheet with possible blood, a band-aid with possible blood, a piece of toilet paper with possible blood, two spent bullet casings (with F and REM markings), two handwritten letters, and a Netgear router, News 8 has learned."

"'Abrams went missing under suspicious circumstances and foul play is suspected,' Riverside detectives wrote in a June 9 warrant." [6 pm is indicated on the warrant]

MOO Likely this one: https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdf/marijuana_grow_warrant.pdf which followed the aerial search that spotted the greenhouses.
NB: Central Homicide Unit is inferred to be involved. Also, a "deputy from our aviation bureau" observed the greenhouses, leading to this warrant being issued. A night search was requested but not authorized.
---

"On June 12, detectives traveled to [Aztec] New Mexico and seized a Ford RV belonging to Keith Harper, Abrams’ 71-year-old fiancé. Investigators impounded the vehicle and removed a "section of front driver seat" as evidence, according to the search warrant."

Received June 12. Executed June 13: https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdf/RV_warrant.pdf and https://interactive.cbs8.com/pdf/AmericanStorageComplex_warrant.pdf
---

MOO KH certainly remains suspect, so I took a few moments to really listen to what he's said in the interview at

One (new to me) observation:

@ 1:30 he comments he and Dia were planning to go to Durango, CO the next day (Sunday). Much has been made of his departure Monday morning while the search went on to do business in NM. Aztec, NM (11 hours east of the ranch) is where that business is located ... coincidentally, only 44 mins south of Durango. So it is entirely plausible that they planned to go to Durango on Sunday, then come back Monday - stopping off at Aztec along the way. That is, if we are to believe KH about the Durango trip. If none of this is true, then it only implicates him further and we move firmly into Dia's disappearance being planned in advance.

I see talk of her dog above… does anyone have any idea what type of dog she had?
@Gracey1820, this is all I could gather about the dog. You can see it in one of the videos with KH talking. I think there's a few dogs on her FB page. Dia Abrams | Facebook
Not enough was reported about Dia's dog, that she always took with her even to the mailbox, someone had said...
This was in my post, but comes from the first thread when there were the six missing from Idyllwild. I want to know exactly where the dog was when KH came back and found Dia missing.
from Post 190 from @PomMom:
...And she NEVER left her house or went anywhere without her dog, even to go check the mail he was always by her side. The dog was still at her home/ranch when she couldn’t be located. This is a big red flag to me and could possibly be a clue that she left the property against her will. Her dog was a ranch dog and appeared to be some type of heeler/herding dog. I think you can see him walking in the shots of her ranch that were shown in the video of her fiancé speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong