CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is a stupid question - but why would they do that, And ask for the public's help? How are we supposed to help if they don't tell us muc

Yes. Those are million dollar houses. Very, very, Very expensive.

Having money doesn’t seem to make one (or one’s children) less likely to murder than the average Joe. There are just generally fewer of them than there are us middle or lower class folks. MOO

Sorry if this is a stupid question - but why would they do that, And ask for the public's help? How are we supposed to help if they don't tell us muc

In addition to the points made by Gitana1 in her reply, sometimes a "tipster" will inadvertently reveal himself as a suspect by giving police specific information they have not released to the public. For example, the type and caliber of the gun used to kill TB has not been revealed to the public, so if someone were to reference that accurately it would be very informative to LE.

Another idea here...

I know of one situation at another SoCal state park from some years ago in which a state park vendor whose contract wasn't renewed took it upon himself to make the park miserable. Filed all sorts of spurious complaints, campaigned with petitions, etc. It dragged on for years.

This person wasn't violent but my point is that a disgruntled former contractor might hold a grudge against the park and vow revenge.

IMO, the shootings don't fit that description but I'm just throwing it out there as a possible motive for someone taking actions against the park.

Having money doesn’t seem to make one (or one’s children) less likely to murder than the average Joe. There are just generally fewer of them than there are us middle or lower class folks. MOO

I can't speak for Harikari but I took that as a comment about LE's responses possibly being different depending on the status of the suspect. And based on what has come out about that sheriff's substation, that seems to be a possibility.

I can't speak for Harikari but I took that as a comment about LE's responses possibly being different depending on the status of the suspect. And based on what has come out about that sheriff's substation, that seems to be a possibility.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant in the original post. If--and I have no reason to think there is--a suspect lived in most of those houses, they'd be more likely to politely refuse to talk to LE and more likely to have a lawyer up front, among other things. More likely to be able to keep it out of the news. That sort of thing.

What I've heard is that the black market services out of state. No one I know is buying illegally. (And about 50% of the people I know use). It's so easy to go to the store now. I've been. It's just so normal. Nobody wants to deal with cartels or shady people on the street. Now it's just a business.

But I'm not seeing this at all related to coming upon a grow. Thousands of people frequent that park each week. It's a well-used park. It wouldn't be a dad with toddlers, out of all those people, who discovered a field of pot and was then inexplicably stalked to his tent and then after he was asleep, killed.

But the one poster indicated that maybe it's more like people who could be growing in the area might also be the shooter not because anyone stumbled upon anything but, I think, because they just might be a shady, creepy person to begin with who is more likely to do something like this?

It's possible.

If TB was killed by someone who had been targeting random campers then it could be anyone.

However, I'm going to venture to guess it's someone from the area who has a grudge of some sort. Maybe doesn't like the crowds?

Or maybe like others have said it's connected to the juvenile camp or to a ranger. Etc. It could be anyone.
I agree with you that it is not likely TB's death has anything to do with a groe. And the people I know who smoke also buy legally (I'm in Colorado), but I've heard it's still pretty prevalent for people, who are below the radar in other areas of life, to buy from street dealers pretty often because it's intersecting with other areas of their life.

But again, I agree this isn't a likely avenue to follow here.

Thanks everyone for your input, theories and research. I am leaning along these lines:

The primary motive of a thrill killer is to induce pain or terror in their victims, which provides stimulation and excitement for the killer. They seek the adrenaline rush provided by hunting and killing victims. Thrill killers murder only for the kill; usually the attack is not prolonged, and there is no sexual aspect. Usually the victims are strangers, although the killer may have followed them for a period of time. Thrill killers can abstain from killing for long periods of time and become more successful at killing as they refine their murder methods. Many attempt to commit the perfect crime and believe they will not be caught.

What are the different types of serial killers? - Psychology of Psychopaths 2a

Thrill killers are mostly male and teenage, but they do not otherwise have a typical profile, experts say. Since different people have different standards of success and can feel wronged for various reasons, it is difficult to categorize thrill killers in cooker-cutter criminal profiles. They can range from a quiet 30-something-year-old office worker to an angst-filled unpopular teenager to, allegedly in Hirte's case, someone who looks like a winner.

Thrill killers' common denominator is that they feel inadequate or minimalized and are driven by a need to feel powerful.

What Drives 'Thrill' Killings?

Their unpredictable nature makes them not only dangerous, but hard to detect.
[...]
“They look like normal people and they fly under the radar.”
[...]
In that regard, everyone is a target: “You just never know if it is completely random.”
[...]
Jack Levin, a criminologist from the US Northeastern University, has written extensively about thrill kills. He believes they are driven by feelings of failure and of not being in control. While many openly talk about wanting to kill, others give no warning at all.

Mr Levin says most thrill killers are young males, but it’s difficult to neatly categorise them. Most importantly, they all feel inadequate in some way and their crimes are driven by a need to feel powerful.

What makes thrill killers tick?

These are examples of thrill killers:
Duncan teens charged; accused of murdering student for ‘fun’
'Bored' Teen Convicted of Murder in Shooting of Australian Student Chris Lane
I'm leaning toward a thrill killer also. Which is disappointing since it will be hard to find...so random.

I still don't understand why LE isn't telling us more. Knowing what kind of bullet it was is crucial, as is the angle of the bullet. And I'd imagine bullets enter the body differently depending on whether it's from right next to his head vs. many feet away. There are so many other things - things that they know but aren't telling us. But they're asking the public for help. How can the public help them if they're not telling us what they know? I'm new to this forum; does this happen a lot?
Apparently, LE often keeps this type of information to themselves so as not to clue in the killer about the evidence they have gathered.

I still don't understand why LE isn't telling us more. Knowing what kind of bullet it was is crucial, as is the angle of the bullet. And I'd imagine bullets enter the body differently depending on whether it's from right next to his head vs. many feet away. There are so many other things - things that they know but aren't telling us. But they're asking the public for help. How can the public help them if they're not telling us what they know? I'm new to this forum; does this happen a lot?

Along with the other reasons mentioned, too much sensitive information revealed to the public can result in false confessions or copycat criminals.

IMO, this isn't that strange. When I've gone camping with a group of families before, we've all parked at one site and left the parking area of the other sites empty for the kids to have a space to ride their bikes around in, that was off the road. They could have simply kept their two cars together at #49 to give the kids a place to ride bikes and play at #51.
IMO, if 2 Dads (or Moms) let 2 toddlers and 2 pre-schoolers/pre-K ride their bikes or play in a double car parking spot at a public campground that would be incredibly unsafe, not to mention against camp policy. Camp Hosts are known to give tickets or warn campers if they are not following the rules and there was a Camp Host on site that night. Anyone can enter the campground- pay $12 for day parking fee, and campground is known for guests visiting other campers and not sleeping there. In fact that makes no sense to me that in a beautiful campground, the playing area would be a double parking spot, but that's my opinion.
IMO, why leave #51 empty at night with the tent so close to parking spot, as other people could "borrow" vacant spots even it's reserved for others and even if it's for a few minutes- could wake up the kids.
IMO, #51 could have had visitors parked in #51 and departed sometime prior to LE arriving.
IMO, car of left side in #49 car appears to have a little girl's bike and a woman's cruiser bike on the roof. There could have been a dog there as well as dogs are allowed at campsite but who knows.
IMO, I see 2 kids' chairs, and 3-4 Adult chairs.
IMO, campsites #49 and especially #51 are tidy for 2 Dads with 4 little kids. They must have a bunch of stuff in their cars that IMO are parked as if they only had 2 parking spots with reservation.
Per Allergan statement, victim left company "last week- as of 6/25/18" so could have been week of camping. Colleagues or family or friends of #49 and/or #51 could have come to the campsite to visit- Afterall, victim and family were planning to move out of area per family statement to "start new life" and "start new chapter;" "final step..." The Adults chairs....empty double parking spots...tidy campsite...
IMO, I am not aware of any reward money offered by LE or anyone.

Whoa. Did they survive?

Great find BTW.
Two teenagers were rescued early yesterday by Malibu Search and Rescue team workers after a car crashed over the side of a road in the mountains above Malibu.

The crash happened at about 3 a.m. on Stunt Road about one mile up the mountain from Mulholland Highway.

Two teens -- a 19-year-old man and a 15-year-old girl -- were pulled from the wreckage,.

The young man was airlifted to a hospital while the girl was transferred by an ambulance.
KBUU Newswire Monday July 2: UPDATED 10AM - Malibu Canyon Shootings Update - Puerco Cyn Campground - Verdict In Malibu Woman's Killing in S Africa - 11 Foot Waves Friday

Malibu search and rescue team saves 2 teens after crash in Calabasas
Malibu search and rescue team saves 2 teens after crash in Calabasas – Daily News

eta: I've seen three articles and two FB posts and so far no mention of it being deliberate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks