CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep you are right.

This whole case just has me totally perplexed on possible answers. I go back and forth on random vs. someone known to victim.

We have a daughter in LA and one week before this shooting I hiked the Parker Mess Overlook Trail in the neighboring Topanga State Park. Contrasting the beauty of those memories with this evil has me very interested in the outcome of this case.

Crazy. I am sure it gives a whole different outlook if you have actually been there. And I agree, it is so confusing. I tend to stay within the random possibility yet I am all over the place as to what it could be related to, possible age group of shooter (young vs. older) etc.

The Local Malibu had reported at some point that a description would be released soon (Source Local Malibu Twitter June 28th), however that hasn't happened and the flyer distribution was called off. If a description does indeed exist and the police has no clue who it is, then the only reason to hold this information back is that they are hoping to catch this person around the park instead of scaring him away from the area and the case potentially going cold? It's very confusing.

Thank you Harmony 2 for getting back with me! This is what I had posted. I was concerned about the Facebook post within the article, but since it's in the article it's ok.

I so agree @Vedder, those poor girls! There was the confusion in the beginning about "upper torso," and then the coroner stating head shot, which could be due to the amount of blood and also the different agencies?

Also glad she put MT's post from the Local Malibu Facebook's page in the article, because I found it really weird for some reason that the first shooting victim (JR) and her were friends. I don't know if it struck anyone else as odd, but it just did to me. They've been the most vocal, so we have more information from them than the others. I don't know what to think, because this situation is definitely strange. I'm glad we got a little bit more information, including the fact that the coroner's report was sealed. I don't know what to think about the manpower shortage comment either. I think that is going to bring up some public emotion. IMO

I hope there's answers soon for the area. It's such a scary situation. I also realized how many "I don't know what to thinks" "I don't knows" "etc throughout that post! Scary, weird, and limited information among other things combined I guess.

ETA...sorry forgot to quote the original post I answered in the first place. It had the original article.

UPDATE: Shootings Continue in Malibu Canyon Keeping Law Enforcement Busy - The Local Malibu

ETA: The MT Facebook post she copied the original from her initial post when it happened, and then added to it when she posted on The Local Malibu Facebook page about her friend contacting her several months after it happened. I have just found it odd when I initially read it. I couldn't say anything because it was on Facebook, but then the writer added it to the article, so they said it could be brought because of that action. Sorry if it was confusing. Made perfect sense to me of course, but y'all are not in my head so there's that! Lol Sorry again! Probably nothing, but it's information which we are sorely lacking.

Last edited:
The Local Malibu on Twitter

Any other local reporting besides this one?

They tagged 8 journalistic accounts with that tweet, with no response it seems. I haven't found any other reports besides The Local Malibu article already shared. I wonder if no one has reported the gun shots heard, because they were just shots heard at 2 different times (with a fire too) without anything actually being hit? I agree with others this is something you would think would be front and center at least there, but there seems to be more chatter about the council meeting they had about Short term rentals. I don't know. I'm still leaning towards these are random victims (if they're all/some connected), but for one specific reason/s (which I have no clue what they/it are/is at the moment. That's all I got right now. I am in full agreement, we need more information. Is the silence saying something?

Thank you Harmony 2 for getting back with me! This is what I had posted. I was concerned about the Facebook post within the article, but since it's in the article it's ok.

I so agree @Vedder, those poor girls! There was the confusion in the beginning about "upper torso," and then the coroner stating head shot, which could be due to the amount of blood and also the different agencies?

Also glad she put MT's post from the Local Malibu Facebook's page in the article, because I found it really weird for some reason that the first shooting victim (JR) and her were friends. I don't know if it struck anyone else as odd, but it just did to me. They've been the most vocal, so we have more information from them than the others. I don't know what to think, because this situation is definitely strange. I'm glad we got a little bit more information, including the fact that the coroner's report was sealed. I don't know what to think about the manpower shortage comment either. I think that is going to bring up some public emotion. IMO

I hope there's answers soon for the area. It's such a scary situation. I also realized how many "I don't know what to thinks" "I don't knows" "etc throughout that post! Scary, weird, and limited information among other things combined I guess.

Sorry, I must have missed something along the way here. Can you clarify "she put MT's post... in the article"? Which article talks about MT and JR being friends? I haven't seen that anywhere yet.

IIRC from my experience with the camping reservations system in California, drop ins weren't permitted because people are allowed to arrive at any time (up until gate closing) for their reservation.

I am referring to campsites that haven't been reserved. Folks who show up without a reservation are nowhere (as far as I know) allowed to take a reserved spot, since it's been paid for already. But they can take a non-reserved spot.

I have arrived at busy State of California campgrounds at 2 am, with no reservation, and got myself a spot. When I've dropped in while the ranger is still there, the ranger often lets me drive around to pick the un-reserved site I want. No suggestion that you have to have a reservation to camp.

This Malibu Park campground evidently had a gate that closed at 10 pm. It is unclear to me whether a ranger was near the gate until 10 pm, or if the "iron ranger" was used between the ranger's knock-off time and the gate closing. If an "iron ranger" is used, the ranger (or campground host) matches the payments to the occupants at, like, 5 am, so it's hard to drive off without paying.

I am referring to campsites that haven't been reserved. Folks who show up without a reservation are nowhere (as far as I know) allowed to take a reserved spot, since it's been paid for already. But they can take a non-reserved spot.

I have arrived at busy State of California campgrounds at 2 am, with no reservation, and got myself a spot. When I've dropped in while the ranger is still there, the ranger often lets me drive around to pick the un-reserved site I want. No suggestion that you have to have a reservation to camp.

This Malibu Park campground evidently had a gate that closed at 10 pm. It is unclear to me whether a ranger was near the gate until 10 pm, or if the "iron ranger" was used between the ranger's knock-off time and the gate closing. If an "iron ranger" is used, the ranger (or campground host) matches the payments to the occupants at, like, 5 am, so it's hard to drive off without paying.

Ah, gotcha. I would just be surprised if the Malibu campground wasn't fully booked at this time of year, since it's a very popular spot.

“The coroner’s report of Beaudette’s murder has been sealed at the request of homicide detectives and my sources tell me one of the reasons could be because the caliber of bullet used.” Excerpt from the article linked below.

What is the importance of withholding information on the caliber of bullet?

UPDATE: Shootings Continue in Malibu Canyon Keeping Law Enforcement Busy - The Local Malibu

You would think who ever pulled the trigger has gotten rid of the gun, but you never know. LE may not want news out about the caliber since it might cause the person to ditch the gun. But if they get the person and the gun they can match the bullet (if they have the bullet) to the gun.

“The coroner’s report of Beaudette’s murder has been sealed at the request of homicide detectives and my sources tell me one of the reasons could be because the caliber of bullet used.” Excerpt from the article linked below.

Quoting my own post
Common sense tells me documents are sealed to help to verify tips, narrow the suspect pool, and test credibility of anyone who claims to have knowledge.

I usually read too much into all these articles, I am sure the documents were sealed for many many reasons-one of which happens to be caliber. I doubt it was sealed only because of the caliber of bullet?

I still go back to the Coroners report being released for that split second-showing gunshot to head. When up to that point all reports stated upper torso. And then bam bye bye report, idk maybe poor communication is to be blamed for releasing it to begin with...but idk?

RBBM

Just a guess, but the type of firearm used might be a less popular type than other firearms on the market.

RBBM

Just a guess, but the type of firearm used might be a less popular type than other firearms on the market.

Which if true...and someone suddenly decided to sell their less popular type of firearm, because they had just killed someone with it-they might easily be able to do that because no one has been alerted to the type of gun.

I think another reason might be because it tells how close the shooter likely was, which direction the shot came from (above him, from the top, from one side, etc.), or possibly some other odds and ends that might point to a particular person who they may, or may not, suspect. MOO

You would think who ever pulled the trigger has gotten rid of the gun, but you never know. LE may not want news out about the caliber since it might cause the person to ditch the gun. But if they get the person and the gun they can match the bullet (if they have the bullet) to the gun.

JMO, any perp with a room temperature IQ will know that LE has run ballistics on any ammo recovered at the crime scene. I'm not sure how keeping this info from the public helps in any way, but its not surprising behavior from this LE agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam