GUILTY CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, died, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #3

Not sure what to make of this latest from the Local. Might have some truth to it, might make good inspirational material for an interpreti9ove dance. Who knows.

Malibu Canyon Shootings: Smoke, Mirrors, SWAT... and Sacrificial Lamb

Seriously, is this a California thing? Is it from watching too many Hollywood movies, or joining one too many cults? Is it a surfer thing? "I can't be bothered to write a story so I'll just put in lots of "quotation" marks and drop "paranoid" allusions to imply how deeply I'm "in the know""

I am not sure that this shooting will ever be solved. I think it was random.

Had there not finaaaaally been an arrest in the random shooting of William Connole (Northern Colorado) I may not feel as optimistic as I do that one day this case too could be solved.

CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #1

(Unfortunately the suspect in Connole’s case has not been linked to two other NOCO victims, so essentially the above case is only partially solved.)

Last edited:
Thanks.

I think that clearly establishes that I talk too much :D

(Hahaha carbuff!)

Detectives investigating possible lead in mysterious killing of father at Malibu Creek State Park (KCAL9)

But detectives do know that Beaudette was shot from long range. Was the murder weapon a rifle? They're not saying.

Veteran reporter Dave Lopez does a good report here and there are visuals of the office building as well.

On balance, this latest burst of activity indicates that LASD has no leads or real evidence at all in terms of the Malibu murder and other shootings. That there are four or five home burglaries in the general area in which food is taken isn't necessarily significant. This is a well-populated area near a freeway which also has a confirmed history of break-ins and even body dumps.

If you go through crime reports for the area, you'll see that home break-ins are not uncommon and also thefts are rampant at the local shopping centers like the Canyons in Calabasas. Seriously, at the Canyons, there are multiple reports each week of purses and wallets being stolen off the backs of chairs while people are dining. Then the perp goes over to a luxury boutique and charges thousands of dollars of merchandise. This happens over and over again - grand theft and credit card fraud but you're not seeing much concern over these very commonplace but serious crimes in this area. For example, you're not seeing public warning because that would be bad for business at the Canyons.

Meanwhile, LASD alerts the press and rolls out the SWAT team on Tuesday because someone stole food from an unoccupied office building on Sunday.

Wait, “shot from long range”, is this the first time we are hearing confirmation of this? Can we be sure this comment is correct/substantiated?

Last edited:
Wait, “shot from long range”, is this the first time we are hearing confirmation of this? Can we be sure this comment is correct/substantiated?

This is the first time we're hearing this.

It's not really substantiated in the report. Lopez clearly asked about the rifle - if a rifle was used in the TB killing - and LE won't say.

Lopez could be editorializing incorrectly about 'long range'. To my knowledge, he hasn't reported on this story before and it's possible he's assumed this to be true so is just going with it. There's no way to know from his statement whether it was confirmed by LE.

This is the first time we're hearing this.

It's not really substantiated in the report. Lopez clearly asked about the rifle - if a rifle was used in the TB killing - and LE won't say.

Lopez could be editorializing incorrectly about 'long range'. To my knowledge, he hasn't reported on this story before and it's possible he's assumed this to be true so is just going with it. There's no way to know from his statement whether it was confirmed by LE.

Thank you for the reply, passepartout; I thought this might be the case.

Well, imo, if LE has not confirmed or released this, “shot from long range”, then this is a huge infraction of speculative reporting, as it makes a huge difference in the possible nature of the case as far as this being random vs. targeted, etc, etc.

After following several other random shooting cases over the years, I find this to be a big mistake on the part of the reporting agency and think this needs to be alerted to them, moo. We do not need editorializing and assumptions being reported here, and this is irresponsible journalism, imo. This is a huge detail to misinterpret or assume upon.

(I did not watch the video but this is my opinion assuming the quoted transcription above is accurate.)

Last edited:
Also, it's possible that 'long range' has its origins in the fact that TB was inside the tent sleeping and the shot came from outside.

I looked briefly at KCAL9's website and there was no contact info for Dave Lopez but when I have more time today maybe I'll email the station for clarification.

Also, it's possible that 'long range' has its origins in the fact that TB was inside the tent sleeping and the shot came from outside.

I looked briefly at KCAL9's website and there was no contact info for Dave Lopez but when I have more time today maybe I'll email the station for clarification.

Awesome thank you!!

Not sure what to make of this latest from the Local. Might have some truth to it, might make good inspirational material for an interpretive dance. Who knows.

Malibu Canyon Shootings: Smoke, Mirrors, SWAT... and Sacrificial Lamb
A shame someone is politicizing such a serious situation in suggesting an arrest in the case will only be to boost an incumbent's political image. :(

Most wild animals live peaceably away from humans unless food in the wild is scarce. Hunger will make a wild animal more aggressive and search for food in populated areas. I'm sure the same rings true for a human living in the wild. A scarcity of food in their habitat may make them more aggressive and force them into areas where other people are. JMO

Hunger will make a wild animal more aggressive and search for food in populated areas. I'm sure the same rings true for a human living in the wild. A scarcity of food in their habitat may make them more aggressive and force them into areas where other people are. JMO

So if someone was living in the park, he'd have to travel farther afield now that the campground has been closed since June. Which cuts against the idea that such a person would have taken actions that resulted in the closure of the campground as the campsites would have been a very steady food supply for anyone living rough in the park.

So if someone was living in the park, he'd have to travel farther afield now that the campground has been closed since June. Which cuts against the idea that such a person would have taken actions that resulted in the closure of the campground as the campsites would have been a very steady food supply for anyone living rough in the park.

However, if the transient had mental health issues, he might not be rational enough to predict what would happen. His shooting at tents or cars is likely an impulsive, irrational action borne out of paranoia or PTSD type of afflictions. JMO

His shooting at tents or cars is likely an impulsive, irrational action borne out of paranoia or PTSD type of afflictions. JMO

'Likely'? That goes a little too far for me, well beyond the bounds of the evidence.

LASD have - suddenly - wanted to put 'survivalist' in the mind of the public with regard to these shootings. We haven't yet seen anything in the evidence that bears that out.

The man who broke in to the office was carrying a rifle. Two of the three shootings in the park involved a shotgun. Is there a link? We don't know.

<modsnipped bashing of LE which is against TOS>

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a little OT but there was a body found in Malibu yesterday. This was on PCH at Kanan (Point Dume area) behind the restaurant Gravina.

Body of Woman Found in Malibu Friday Morning

According to LASD, there's 'no indication of foul play or any crime'.

According to other sources, the woman was nude, sexually assaulted and beaten. There's a bit of a flurry on Twitter and FB about this and some photos of LE picking up the body. LE - who has joined in the fray on FB - is maintaining it's a homeless person, probably an overdose and the body had been there for a couple of days.

Victim is a Jane Doe and carried a French passport.

No idea what the truth is.

This is a little OT but there was a body found in Malibu yesterday. This was on PCH at Kanan (Point Dume area) behind the restaurant Gravina.

According to other sources, the woman was nude, sexually assaulted and beaten. There's a bit of a flurry on Twitter and FB about this and some photos of LE picking up the body. LE - who has joined in the fray on FB - is maintaining it's a homeless person, probably an overdose and the body had been there for a couple of days.

WOW.

Why is the truth so difficult to uncover? How many deaths does this make in Malibu in 6 months?

Why is the truth so difficult to uncover? How many deaths does this make in Malibu in 6 months?

If you go to the crime statistics section of the LASD website, you'll see that there are 6 homicides for the year 2018. Alongside that, you can see the statistics for the same period last year, when the total number of criminal homicides in the LASD Lost Hills station area was zero.

Out of those 6 homicides, at least two are body dumps, one is TB, one is the man killed by his wife in July, one is a man found in a park (IIRC) deemed to be a homeless situation.

The Malibu Times is reporting that they're working on a story about new safety measures being implemented at Malibu Creek State Park. No details yet but it's encouraging to hear this.

Also wanted to add to my previous post about homicide stats that I'm not sure how the body found in Calabasas in September has been categorized. There was some conflicting info given out by LASD and Calabasas city officials at the time. But there was a body dump at the Hindu Temple in May and another near the fire camp (a gunshot victim) in July. Those would definitely be in the homicide tally, even though it's believed they were killed elsewhere and dumped in Malibu.

FWIW, when I was talking to the MCSP superintendent in July, he told us 'we get one or two of those a year' in regard to body dumps at the Hindu Temple. He shrugged it off as normal; we were slightly shocked to think that it was 'normal' for murder victims to be dumped by the roadside just a couple of hundred yards from the campground. You're sleeping in your tent at night and gangsters are driving down the road tossing bodies out of cars. Yikes.

I was thinking the very same thing. I wonder if there were any reports of foods stolen from the campers that just never made the news. Could be why the park is still closed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back