CA CA - Maximillian Amador, 18, West Los Angeles, 11 May 2011

eagleyeseymour

Reaction score
I wish there was more information or even a lead in regards to this young mans disappearance. I'll be periodically providing links to the news articles published shortly after he vanished. I resided in the area during this time and am close in age to Max. His family were very active online and assembled at a major intersection close to where he disappeared to picket and raise awareness. This was featured on local news...

Unfortunately, this case has gone cold... initially there was speculation he may have left on his own accord however with each day that passed, the consensus in the community is that there was some kind of foul play. Nearly a decade later and many are still wondering what happened.

Please click to view the flyer full size (if anyone can help me format this full size into the post please advise):
amadormaximillianmissingflyer-page-0-1.jpg

Last edited:
Theres a hotel, a red cross center, homes, a university and a park at/near that address. Where was he last seen that he left in the middle of the night?

There’s a lot of green space nearby. Could he have gone for a run on the medical campus, park or cemetery?

Attachments

• 6BD35F84-0603-4EA6-8771-1C375B2C74B3.jpeg
    6BD35F84-0603-4EA6-8771-1C375B2C74B3.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 2
Theres a hotel, a red cross center, homes, a university and a park at/near that address. Where was he last seen that he left in the middle of the night?

My apologies, I missed the part that says his residence

Thank you for chiming in Rodney and Payroll, here's a compilation of various links:

What you'll find is that not much aside from his physical description and apartment address & time he was last seen is out there, it is the same information that was published across multiple channels (from the LAPD to CBS).

While from an aerial view on Google Maps or equivalent, it appears that there are large green areas, I assure you, these are open fields and there is little to no dense vegetation in any of the areas. I doubt he left his apartment to engage in some form of exercise at 2:00 a.m. These are for the most part, areas with high visibility and not a place you'd get lost or stranded in, they are actually surrounded by an urban landscape.

I will share a personal experience I had that is about the "Bad News Bears Field" about 0.3 miles from where he was last seen that always stuck in my memory. Prior to Max disappearance, I was exploring the area and looking for spots to photograph , I walked along the most western border of the park aside a baseball field and behind a storage container where there was a little overgrowth (tall grass, weeds), this was directly adjacent to the 405 freeway) I noticed there was a homeless encampment and while walking by, a man in a tent uttered something along the lines of "do you want to see what's back here?" or "are you sure you want to come back here?" It was enough to make me reconsider my route and turn around since the question was rhetorical and I clearly understood I was not welcome. I actually went online afterwards to check out the area out of curiosity and found the name of the place to be as bizarre as it was appropriate.

This had to have been 6-8 months before his disappearance , my recollection is vague since there was no vested interest in paying attention to or reserving details to memory. It was simply one of those experiences where you just think "well , that was creepy". I'm not easily deterred or shook, but there was something about the way the guy said it that made me realize it's best I probably find another place to explore. When Max disappeared and I realized where he lived was down the street from where I had this experience, It just made me wonder. What I experienced was likely nothing more than territorial fear or intimidation as the homeless are rampant in LA and the ones who select spots not right out in the open tend to have a preference for privacy.

If you go on Google Street View today, the area I mention is obstructed by a large fence with a green tarp that has since been put up. I had to share this experience but in no way am I implying he went that way the night of his disappearance, there are no facts that have been released that indicate the direction he walked or if the had a destination.

LA is a big city and there is no doubt this case did not get the kind of attention it would have in a small town somewhere. For full transparency, some may ask why he referred to himself as Max Harsh. Part of the reason I am interested in this case is because I had seen graffiti tags around the city that said "Harsh" as it was an interest of mine at the time. I had no idea who Max was, but once he disappeared there were rumblings in the writing/tagging community that "Harsh" is missing. I heard this from some friendly acquaintances and this was around the time it was on the news. One theory I had which I still entertain to this day is that he went out to write and did not have a destination in mind, this is pretty common with writers or as the public call "taggers".

I find this to be relevant and hope no one rushes to judgement about the character of this young man because of it. Many youth in the area participate in this sub-culture and by all accounts I heard, he was a good kid. I kept my eyes peeled for any new "Harsh" tags , but never saw anything pop up. I moved from the area in 2012 and this case has always bugged me since there was not a single lead publicized, his family deserves closure.

While I'd like to think he is safe & well, that likelihood of that is slim to none. Hoping this community can do what they do best to reignite some interest in this case and maybe look at it from a new perspective.

Last edited:
Many thanks for starting this thread, Eagle. I was on vacation to Venice Beach (I'm British) at the time of Max's disappearance and remember seeing the missing posters stuck up everywhere. On returning to the UK the case just always stuck with me and I have checked in on the case every few months ever since. I too have always noticed that virtually no leads have ever been published and that the case seems to be totally cold at this stage. I guess we can't begin to know how Max's loved ones feel and I'm certain not a day goes by when he isn't in their thoughts and hearts - but after so long I'm sure there must have been an element of acceptance. Whilst the optimist in me hopes that Max is alive and well somewhere, I am with you when you say the chance of that is slim to none.

So what can we rule out in terms of Max's fate?

Suicide - No suicide note, as far as we are aware nothing supporting Max wanted to take his own life and most importantly no body or trace of one. At 2am I don't feel Max was taking a boat out to the middle of the ocean, tying weights to himself and sinking to the bottom of the ocean etc. After the act he most certainly wouldn't have been able to dispose of his own remains. In a City as built up as LA and with so much time passed where development would have taken place I think the chance of him finding a secret little space somewhere to have taken his own life and that is still undiscovered is pretty remote.

Accident - Again no body or any remains have ever been found so this is highly unlikely. You could make an argument that say Max had a stash spot for something somewhere very remote, he went to it in the early hours of the morning, could his arm trapped and starved to death. Highly unlikely but I put accident above suicide in terms of liklihood purely based on a missing persons case in the UK. It is widely believed that this young RAF serviceman, whilst drunk on a night out climbed into a dumpster to sleep it off, a rubbish truck made their collection, he was crushed and dumped at a landfill which after a very short space of time becomes extremely difficult to ever find someone again. Check out
Disappearance of Corrie McKeague - Wikipedia.

Starting a new life - We have no evidence to support Max was so miserable or had so much trouble he would just skip town in the early hours of the morning and for a decade allow his family (who clearly love him very much) believe he is dead. There surely wouldnt be a missing persons case if he went into witness protection. Also I highly doubt a young man like Max would have had the financial means or connections to start a new life, identity and stay off the radar for so long.

So in my opinion that leaves foul play as the most likely cause of the disappearance here. Am I remembering wrong that there were hints that Max may have been selling marijuana? I also seem to remember reading something from Max's mother where she mentioned an associate of his said something along the lines of "nothing good" when asked if he had any guess as to what happened to Max. This was such a long time ago though I may be putting more exaggeration on this than what I read in the first place. If true though obviously you have to explore did Max tick of the wrong person(s) and met his end. Absolutely terrifying if a young man just selling a little pot would be "wasted" and body disposed of without a trace by a competitor.

I like your theory of Max going tagging and something happening to him. Good call on the Harsh link. Also whilst I know absolutely nothing about the subject, my guess would be early hours is prime tagging time. So the thinking would be he's out at this hour and bumped into the wrong person. I'm still a little hmmmm that the body could have been disposed of so well after a random encounter. Whilst given his age and small size I would say Max was an easy target to attack, but to get rid of the body so quickly surely the attacker would have had to have some prior planning in place.

Another theory I want to put on the table is that Max left to go and meet someone unknown at this time who planned to kill him. I will be blunt and controversial here now. Max could have gone to engage in sex with another man totally oblivious to what this person had planned. I don't believe any information on Max's internet history has ever been released, but this would be potentially very valuable. Picture the scene, Max is on a hook up site, he's invited to an address, he goes and at some point during the meeting he is murdered and his body disposed of. I want to stress that Max's sexuality is irrelevant, my theory is based entirely on a likely reason to visit an address in the early hours of the morning. Of course Max could have been catfished believing he was going to meet a woman, but it then becomes less likely he would have entered the address.

I personally don't feel it matters at all even if Max was a graffiti artist and potential drug dealer. He was a kid and young people make mistakes. It still fascinates me what a mystery this case is. I truly hope that answers come for the family one day.

Many thanks for starting this thread, Eagle. I was on vacation to Venice Beach (I'm British) at the time of Max's disappearance and remember seeing the missing posters stuck up everywhere. On returning to the UK the case just always stuck with me and I have checked in on the case every few months ever since. I too have always noticed that virtually no leads have ever been published and that the case seems to be totally cold at this stage. I guess we can't begin to know how Max's loved ones feel and I'm certain not a day goes by when he isn't in their thoughts and hearts - but after so long I'm sure there must have been an element of acceptance. Whilst the optimist in me hopes that Max is alive and well somewhere, I am with you when you say the chance of that is slim to none.

So what can we rule out in terms of Max's fate?

Suicide - No suicide note, as far as we are aware nothing supporting Max wanted to take his own life and most importantly no body or trace of one. At 2am I don't feel Max was taking a boat out to the middle of the ocean, tying weights to himself and sinking to the bottom of the ocean etc. After the act he most certainly wouldn't have been able to dispose of his own remains. In a City as built up as LA and with so much time passed where development would have taken place I think the chance of him finding a secret little space somewhere to have taken his own life and that is still undiscovered is pretty remote.

Accident - Again no body or any remains have ever been found so this is highly unlikely. You could make an argument that say Max had a stash spot for something somewhere very remote, he went to it in the early hours of the morning, could his arm trapped and starved to death. Highly unlikely but I put accident above suicide in terms of liklihood purely based on a missing persons case in the UK. It is widely believed that this young RAF serviceman, whilst drunk on a night out climbed into a dumpster to sleep it off, a rubbish truck made their collection, he was crushed and dumped at a landfill which after a very short space of time becomes extremely difficult to ever find someone again. Check out
Disappearance of Corrie McKeague - Wikipedia.

Starting a new life - We have no evidence to support Max was so miserable or had so much trouble he would just skip town in the early hours of the morning and for a decade allow his family (who clearly love him very much) believe he is dead. There surely wouldnt be a missing persons case if he went into witness protection. Also I highly doubt a young man like Max would have had the financial means or connections to start a new life, identity and stay off the radar for so long.

So in my opinion that leaves foul play as the most likely cause of the disappearance here. Am I remembering wrong that there were hints that Max may have been selling marijuana? I also seem to remember reading something from Max's mother where she mentioned an associate of his said something along the lines of "nothing good" when asked if he had any guess as to what happened to Max. This was such a long time ago though I may be putting more exaggeration on this than what I read in the first place. If true though obviously you have to explore did Max tick of the wrong person(s) and met his end. Absolutely terrifying if a young man just selling a little pot would be "wasted" and body disposed of without a trace by a competitor.

I like your theory of Max going tagging and something happening to him. Good call on the Harsh link. Also whilst I know absolutely nothing about the subject, my guess would be early hours is prime tagging time. So the thinking would be he's out at this hour and bumped into the wrong person. I'm still a little hmmmm that the body could have been disposed of so well after a random encounter. Whilst given his age and small size I would say Max was an easy target to attack, but to get rid of the body so quickly surely the attacker would have had to have some prior planning in place.

Another theory I want to put on the table is that Max left to go and meet someone unknown at this time who planned to kill him. I will be blunt and controversial here now. Max could have gone to engage in sex with another man totally oblivious to what this person had planned. I don't believe any information on Max's internet history has ever been released, but this would be potentially very valuable. Picture the scene, Max is on a hook up site, he's invited to an address, he goes and at some point during the meeting he is murdered and his body disposed of. I want to stress that Max's sexuality is irrelevant, my theory is based entirely on a likely reason to visit an address in the early hours of the morning. Of course Max could have been catfished believing he was going to meet a woman, but it then becomes less likely he would have entered the address.

I personally don't feel it matters at all even if Max was a graffiti artist and potential drug dealer. He was a kid and young people make mistakes. It still fascinates me what a mystery this case is. I truly hope that answers come for the family one day.

Thanks for your feedback & input Dan. I have to agree with you on many accounts and as someone with first-hand experience in the writing community, your point regarding the early morning hours as being the prime-time for graffiti activity is valid. I also sold marijuana as an adolescent and young adult. The two go hand-in-hand, pun intended. It is also worth noting that many in the writing (tagging) world carry a writing instrument with them whether their intent is to go out and do it or not. It's as essential as a phone, keys , wallet for writers - if opportunity presents itself , they are prepared. Initially, I suspected there may have been a confrontation related to this, though in this part of town, it is highly unlikely he would have encountered what are referred to as "tag-bangers" or writers that conduct themselves more like a gang, typically only concerned with territory and with little to no artistic merit or creative desire. There is also what writers refer to as "heroes" and confrontation between writers and heroes has been well documented. A confrontation turned physical could have gone south and if those involved did not intend to incapacitate him, there could have been a panic response which would be to dispose of the body. I've also thought of a potential hit-and-run, if he was on foot and was struck by accident, the driver may have also had a similar response and freaked out, especially if said driver was under the influence, not licensed to operate a motor vehicle, on probation or parole, etc.

Now, what I feel is more likely, which you alluded to is something in regard to the marijuana trade. We can only speculate as to whether or not this was something he was involved in, and if so, to what degree remains a mystery. I too recall the rumblings/gossip you mention about their being a pot link but these were never substantiated by law enforcement or even mentioned in the news media. We can safely assume this young man was not a kingpin by any stretch of the imagination, however, at that age people involved in the illegal sale of it are typically very reckless and not methodical at all. It could have been a robbery gone wrong, which would explain the zero trace of him. If he was on foot and remained in that area for a while, chances are he would've been captured on camera footage, especially so if he was in the vicinity of Wilshire (to the north) or Santa Monica Blvd. (to the south). A typical set up within the world of young inexperienced hustlers is to have the victim get in a car. He could have been carrying cash and looking to purchase or carrying "weight" (typically a Quarter Pound or More) and gotten in the vehicle with people who took him elsewhere and robbed him. They may have even built up trust to get him comfortable with leaving his neighborhood. Often times, smoking will precede the robbery, to get the nerves of the inexperienced thugs down and also to get the guard of the victim down.

My impression now is that the police were aware to some degree of his participation in illegal activity and since he wasn't your pretty blonde honors student, did not really allocate the resources that other people might get. Los Angeles is the 2nd most populated city in the US so a case like this could easily be neglected whether by design or default. Whomever manages the Facebook page (I believe his mother) made a post referencing Max's old roommate "Gabe" and whether or not he was back in town. This post was made on May 30th 2012 and is still visible for all to see. One would think a roommate would be able to offer some insight into the lifestyle he was living. Not pointing fingers whatsoever, but the post implies that "Gabe" left town after Max disappearance. Perhaps he got a great job elsewhere, feel in love with a young woman in another state, maybe it was traumatic for him or there is the possibility he knows something. Bottom line is this case fizzled out quick and Law Enforcement nor the media seemed to have invested any time or resources in keeping it active. I've considered reaching to the family, though I don't want to cause them anymore emotional pain than they've been through. Max was a young man with his entire life ahead of him and again, from what I've heard from youth in the area at the time of his disappearance was a good kid, well liked who may have gotten into typical mischief or growing pains that so many young people go through (myself included).

Just the fact that you've expressed the most interest in this and you are from the UK is telling in itself. In the big city, unless you come from a wealthy family or are a community figure, it is easy to wind up in a case file collecting dust.

Good to converse with you, Eagle.

I have certainly always been a little shocked whilst in the US when I see missing posters stapled to telephone poles etc. This just does not happen here in the UK. Of course we have our share of missing persons, some of which do become cold cases, but largely when someone goes missing here it is a HUGE deal with a large Police response that is irrelevant of class. All Police Officers I have met in the US have been immensely helpful, courteous and professional, I guess the failures in missing persons cases comes down purely to lack of resources in such densely populated areas, some of which with higher crime rates.

I am making quite a rude assumption here but from everything I have seen I draw the conclusion that Max's family are very much working class and working to limited financial resources (exactly the same as me and my family :) ). This leads me to think though had they had the money to pay for a reputable Private Detective(s) there could have been more answers. The family instinctly invested all of their time and energy into raising the profile of Max's missing case, but perhaps in hindsight now an opportunity was missed to appeal for donations to launch a private investigation. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though as at the time the whole crowdfunding thing wasn't as developed as it is now and social engineering usually leads to the belief that "the Police will deal with it".

Whilst I think overall so much time passing has likely meant that the window of finding evidence is very much closed, there is an argument that can be made for time passing having an advantage - loyalties often change over time. If Max's disappearance is linked to several people, who are likely of poor character and life choices, do we really think after so much time they are still a loyal cohesive unit to eachother? Somebody key to the case could have since died, which could now lead to someone else feeling more open to talking. You get my point here.

There are no new answers here because as far as I am aware, nobody is asking questions. The Police will have no memory at all of the case unless they typed it into their database. Whilst I'm certain not a day goes by when Max isn't in his families thoughts and hearts, physically they will have gone on with their lives and been cruelly forced to accept he isn't coming back. It is a cold case. I imagine the likelood of someone involved just randomly coming forward with information is slim, but if that same person was approached and asked I think the chances become higher.

It does make you wonder what could be if say for instance the LAPD and FBI suddenly treated this case as if it was a Senators daughter that had just gone missing. Answers are out there, but without anyone asking the questions we are unlikely to hear them.

I was one of harshs best friends, he lived with me for awhile. My mom still talks about him to this day, this case had a lot of flaws. He was seen on a 7/11 camera near his house that night before the disappearance, his roommate or business partner is not to be trusted. Most of his family never cared for him besides his aunt or sister, this is why he was homeless almost all of high school. I know he was working with very sketchy people from Northern California. Despite his awful parents/life, he had an abundance of friends and people loved harsh. He was almost always laughing with one of the most unique laughs u have ever heard, and felt at peace when doing his art whether it be graffiti or being known for having arguably one of the best hand styles. I have heard several stories about his disappearance one specifically stuck with me, keep in mind I don’t know how much of this is true but there’s some evidence. He had a friend dealing with large amounts of marijuana from people in Northern California. I heard harsh stole more than he could replace or his business partner/friend/roommate did. They kidnapped him and took him up north. I’m leaving out details seeing as this is public, but knowing max yeah probably was going out to ‘write’. He always had a destination though, he knew all the popular spots and a friend ‘plzr’ was every where in Los Angeles. They were also very good friends and this about all I have, let me know if I can help anyway possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back