CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main concern is to find Maya and that requires figuring out where. Frustrating.

I've always wondered if LE asked LM early on what he did on that Friday 1/8/21, the day after the argument and Maya going missing. That's the day he supposedly drove to Solana Beach with only the little boy, leaving 6:30 a.m. and returning at 5 p.m. (and later heard (cough cough) Maya rustling in the kitchen).

Did he tell LE right off that he took that trip and which car he drove? Why didn't LE move to impound the vehicle sooner then?

LE didn't impound the Lexus until after Larry spent hrs. down at the station (IMO, being interrogated) on Jan. 20th. Then, on Jan. 23rd late night they served a search warrant on the home and impounded the Lexus. I'm thinking perhaps he didn't tell LE until they applied more pressure in their questioning on 1/20/21, just before they served the search warrant on the house. I don't know. His trip sure seemed odd, in light of his wife missing. So, what did LE discover in the vehicle?

All this is MOO and Speculation Only-- if nothing was discovered in Lexus by LE, then perhaps the hiding happened Thursday night and that Friday was a ruse. I also must consider someone helping.

Just before the search warrant was served:
Chula Vista family hires investigator to help in search for missing mom (10news.com) Posted at 6:28 PM, Jan 21, 2021

"ABC 10News spoke to her husband on Thursday. He said he spent hours Wednesday night with detectives from Chula Vista Police trying to find his wife. He tells ABC 10News he is grateful for all of the search efforts."

Search Warrant served and car impounded:
Family of missing Chula Vista mother gather to look for answers | cbs8.com
Updated: 6:20 PM PST February 5, 2021

"Since Maya went missing on January 7, there has been some movement in the case. On January 23, detectives served a search warrant on her home. During the search, computers were taken from the home as evidence. Officers also impounded her Lexus SUV that had a custom license plate that read “MAYLANI.”'

All MOO and Speculation. BBM

Moderator. Can we post links? Family Searches for Answers 40 Days After Disappearance of Chula Vista Mom May ‘Maya' Millete at around the 4 minute mark. The anchor asks marichris and the husband what they think happened to Maya.
it’s very clear they believe Larry has answers. Their response, “it would be nice to know which direction Larry’s car went on Friday”
How do you all interpret that response?

Welcome to WS @JakeB911!

Since WS is a facts-based forum, only links from MSM news sources are allowed discussed here.

Statements of fact must also be supported by links from approved /qualified sources.

Link by OP quoted above (i.e., San Diego News 7) certainly qualifies as MSM for posting and discussion.

Linking WS rules below for your convenience.

Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

It's 10.8 miles from Chula Vista to Spring Valley. It's a 18 min. drive in light traffic.
View attachment 284943

Curious Me - from where Maya lives, it’s only about a 5-10 drive to Spring Valley. She lived on the east side of CV.
Even a shorter trip then. ;) That was just a rough estimation provided by the internet map search I did. IMO, I don't think 8 minutes makes that much difference. (I'm a San Diego local myself.)

Even a shorter trip then. ;) That was just a rough estimation provided by the internet map search I did. IMO, I don't think 8 minutes makes that much difference. (I'm a San Diego local myself.)
I went up to Big Bear this weekend and that took 2 and 1/2 hours from SD. I couldn’t help but also speculate on which direction did LM drive that Friday? He was gone from 6:30 am to 5 pm? On the way up to the mountains, I thought about how far this drive was and how long it must take someone to look for an ideal spot to hide or dump a body (so sorry) with all those cliffs and canyons anyone could just toss a body over at high elevations in the San Bernardino Mountains. There were a few of those areas where people can stop and pull over. Maybe search and rescue can look at wildlife areas or mountain areas further up North. There was a missing woman in Vista, CA from 2017. Her husband reported her missing and he too told Police they got into an argument and he declines to “comment” when he was asked if they had issues during a tv interview, and he also said wife took off but turns out he murdered her and disposed her body in the Palomar Mountains. Maybe they too should search the mountain areas or post flyers up there as well for Maya. I’m praying they find Maya. Husband arrested on suspicion of murder in Vista mother's October 2017 disappearance

Last edited:
The main concern is to find Maya and that requires figuring out where. Frustrating.

I've always wondered if LE asked LM early on what he did on that Friday 1/8/21, the day after the argument and Maya going missing. That's the day he supposedly drove to Solana Beach with only the little boy, leaving 6:30 a.m. and returning at 5 p.m. (and later heard (cough cough) Maya rustling in the kitchen).

Did he tell LE right off that he took that trip and which car he drove? Why didn't LE move to impound the vehicle sooner then?

LE didn't impound the Lexus until after Larry spent hrs. down at the station (IMO, being interrogated) on Jan. 20th. Then, on Jan. 23rd late night they served a search warrant on the home and impounded the Lexus. I'm thinking perhaps he didn't tell LE until they applied more pressure in their questioning on 1/20/21, just before they served the search warrant on the house. I don't know. His trip sure seemed odd, in light of his wife missing. So, what did LE discover in the vehicle?

All this is MOO and Speculation Only-- if nothing was discovered in Lexus by LE, then perhaps the hiding happened Thursday night and that Friday was a ruse. I also must consider someone helping.

Just before the search warrant was served:
Chula Vista family hires investigator to help in search for missing mom (10news.com) Posted at 6:28 PM, Jan 21, 2021

"ABC 10News spoke to her husband on Thursday. He said he spent hours Wednesday night with detectives from Chula Vista Police trying to find his wife. He tells ABC 10News he is grateful for all of the search efforts."

Search Warrant served and car impounded:
Family of missing Chula Vista mother gather to look for answers | cbs8.com
Updated: 6:20 PM PST February 5, 2021

"Since Maya went missing on January 7, there has been some movement in the case. On January 23, detectives served a search warrant on her home. During the search, computers were taken from the home as evidence. Officers also impounded her Lexus SUV that had a custom license plate that read “MAYLANI.”'

All MOO and Speculation. BBM

When an adult goes missing, it takes time to determine whether or not the person is voluntarily missing. It's not a crime for an adult to disappear and not make contact with family.

It's would not be possible to search/impound and/or take custody of LM's vehicle earlier since LE first required probable cause to obtain a search warrant for both her vehicle and her residence.

What evidence is there that LM drove to Solano Beach on Friday, Jan 8?

Just LM's word? I've not seen LE confirm anything about LM's whereabout since his wife missing.

Is it believed that LM drove MM's Lexus to the Beach on Friday or another vehicle?

Since LM is no longer cooperating with LE, hopefully, he previously gave LE conflicting information where LE has been able to secure search warrants for records depicting his digital footprint.

IMO, it seems Maya's footprint never left the house. Her phone/GPS never transmitted outside her home since she was reported missing.

We know that extended family last saw MM alive on Jan 3 but need a timeline to confirm whether she was still alive on Thursday when LM claims he last saw his wife (LM claims only to have "heard" MM on Friday).

ETA: I'm not buying that LM traveled to Solana Beach, and think he obtained a lawyer and stopped cooperating when confronted with the discrepancy in his story.

Larry Millete told officers he drove his four-year-old son to the beach in the Lexus on that Friday, according to family members, who also said they tried unsuccessfully that day to reach the husband on his cell phone.

“They left at 6:30 a.m. in the morning to go to Solana Beach and they didn't come back until about 5 p.m. in the afternoon,” Drouaillet said.

2/4/21 Human remains in East County appear unrelated to missing mom | cbs8.com

Last edited:
...Is it believed that LM drove MM's Lexus to the Beach on Friday or another vehicle?

Well, it's old news now, but yes, it's all here in the news article.

Human remains in East County appear unrelated to missing mom | cbs8.com
Author: David Gotfredson (Investigative Producer)
Updated: 6:54 PM PST February 4, 2021

"Officers also impounded a black Lexus SUV, which the husband was believed to be driving on Friday, January 8, the day after Millete was last seen, according to family members. The SUV had a personalized license plate, MAYLANI."

"Larry Millete told officers he drove his four-year-old son to the beach in the Lexus on that Friday, according to family members, who also said they tried unsuccessfully that day to reach the husband on his cell phone."

'“They left at 6:30 a.m. in the morning to go to Solana Beach and they didn't come back until about 5 p.m. in the afternoon,” Drouaillet said."

"Officers also impounded a black Lexus SUV, which the husband was believed to be driving on Friday, January 8, the day after Millete was last seen, according to family members. The SUV had a personalized license plate, MAYLANI."

"Larry Millete told officers he drove his four-year-old son to the beach in the Lexus on that Friday, according to family members, who also said they tried unsuccessfully that day to reach the husband on his cell phone."

'“They left at 6:30 a.m. in the morning to go to Solana Beach and they didn't come back until about 5 p.m. in the afternoon,” Drouaillet said."

Thanks -- I'm not buying it, and think LM probably stopped cooperating when confronted with evidence of a discrepancy in his story. MOO

I went up to Big Bear this weekend and that took 2 and 1/2 hours from SD. I couldn’t help but also speculate on which direction did LM drive that Friday? He was gone from 6:30 am to 5 pm? On the way up to the mountains, I thought about how far this drive was and how long it must take someone to look for an ideal spot to hide or dump a body (so sorry) with all those cliffs and canyons anyone could just toss a body over at high elevations in the San Bernardino Mountains. There were a few of those areas where people can stop and pull over. Maybe search and rescue can look at wildlife areas or mountain areas further up North. There was a missing woman in Vista, CA from 2017. Her husband reported her missing and he too told Police they got into an argument and he declines to “comment” when he was asked if they had issues during a tv interview, and he also said wife took off but turns out he murdered her and disposed her body in the Palomar Mountains. Maybe they too should search the mountain areas or post flyers up there as well for Maya. I’m praying they find Maya. Husband arrested on suspicion of murder in Vista mother's October 2017 disappearance

Thanks for this. Ironic how parallel the circumstances.
A year she was out there. I’m sure Martinez tried to put her miles, years out from being discovered..so the COD was not possible. What’s really frightening is the judge dismissed this case. IOW he got away with it.

Mid-trial, judge dismisses case against Vista husband accused of killing his wife

MOO

Last edited:
I have a case I always mention that reminds me of this one. Missing wife, Elizabeth Sullivan in San Diego, was in a freezer for two years before husband dumped her in the bay and left town with the 2 little girls and a new woman. He got dragged back and was found guilty of stabbing her to death in their bedroom. Yes, LE missed the evidence galore back then, but found some hidden in the attic years later. See, people thought Elizabeth ran off and left her family. Sound familiar?
Me too, praying that Maya is found soon.
Thanks for this. Ironic how parallel the circumstances.
A year she was out there. I’m sure Martinez tried to put her miles, years out from being discovered..so the COD was not possible. What’s really frightening is the judge dismissed this case. IOW he got away with it.
Mid-trial, judge dismisses case against Vista husband accused of killing his wife
MOO
Thank You both for bringing up this other case. That is really sad. He probably did it, and got away with it. However, it's understandable what the judge had to do-- if there's no evidence it won't get a conviction. That's why I must remind myself in this case to have patience and understand CVPD has to build a solid case before an arrest can be made. Then, when it goes to trial it's extremely important to have conclusive solid evidence that the defense can't poo-poo away.

Mid-trial, judge dismisses case against Vista husband accused of killing his wife - The San Diego Union-Tribune
"... the case against Hector Garcia Martinez, 41, was dismissed. He had been accused of killing 38-year-old Maria Elena Guzman Cordova, who disappeared from their Vista apartment in October 2017."

"In court filings arguing that the case should be dismissed for lack of evidence, Martinez’s attorney said there was no physical evidence linking Martinez to his wife’s death and argued that forensic evidence exonerated him."

"Cadaver dogs, she noted, did not hit on anything in the family’s apartment or cars. Trash bags seized from Martinez’s work truck days after Guzman’s disappearance did not match the types of trash bags in which her remains were found 11 months later."

"A court filing from the defense indicates Washington was not the first judge to be troubled by the case."

BBM & MOO

I just can’t stop thinking about those two poor girls, alone all day in that house. Their phones were off, their father’s phone was off, apparently their mother’s phone was also off.

Did anyone leave a note for them? Were they already up when he left with the little boy? I just can’t stop thinking about what must have felt like for a 11-year-old and a 9-year-old to be all alone in that house without being able to contact anyone. They’re kids, yes, older kids, but still kids. All day, no mom, no dad. Just the two of them waiting.

And then, dad comes home with their little brother, apparently he didn’t ask
where mom is. Mom was not there, obviously. Then, he also doesn’t ask who made them lunch? Who supervised online school?

Mom never comes home, family starts showing up and asking where mom is. Mom is not there. And then, the police, and then the media.

It’s cruel. Those poor kids.

Another missing woman who is a devoted mother. Another shady spouse, who is throwing all sorts of red flags.

I think it's very unlikely Maya just took off. It goes against everything we know about Maya. She appears to have an extraordinarily close relationship with her family, particularly her sister and BIL. She's not off on a lark somewhere.

I'm really worried about those kids. I hope LM has eyes on him 24/7.

I’m just curious, but why did they only impound that car? Is it possible there’s video/images of LM in that car? If there aren’t images or video, I wonder if it impounded based off LM’s word alone or whether something caught their eye during the execution of the search warrant. What I’m getting at is the assumption he took that car on Friday seems to be based solely off of LM’s testimony, but I’d imagine LE would need more than that to impound the car - or am I way off base?
Moderator. Can we post links? Family Searches for Answers 40 Days After Disappearance of Chula Vista Mom May ‘Maya' Millete

at around
the 4 minute mark. The anchor asks marichris and the husband what they think happened to Maya.

it’s very clear they believe Larry has answers. Their response, “it would be nice to know which direction Larry’s car went on Friday”

How do you all interpret that response?
I’m just curious, and wondering why they only impound that car? Is it possible there’s video/images of LM in that car? If there aren’t images or video, I wonder if it impounded based off LM’s word alone or whether something caught their eye during the execution of the search warrant. What I’m getting at is the assumption he took that particular car on Friday seems to be based solely off of LM’s testimony, but I’d imagine LE would need more than that to impound the car - or am I way off base? I know LE can’t risk their investigation by releasing all they know, but I’m hoping they have much more than they are letting on.

I just can’t stop thinking about those two poor girls, alone all day in that house. Their phones were off, their father’s phone was off, apparently their mother’s phone was also off.

Did anyone leave a note for them? Were they already up when he left with the little boy? I just can’t stop thinking about what must have felt like for a 11-year-old and a 9-year-old to be all alone in that house without being able to contact anyone. They’re kids, yes, older kids, but still kids. All day, no mom, no dad. Just the two of them waiting.

And then, dad comes home with their little brother, apparently he didn’t ask
where mom is. Mom was not there, obviously. Then, he also doesn’t ask who made them lunch? Who supervised online school?

Mom never comes home, family starts showing up and asking where mom is. Mom is not there. And then, the police, and then the media.

It’s cruel. Those poor kids.

The children involved must be frightened and so torn. Am sure LM is not saying kind things about their mother (or his relatives who are helping..IMO)

How does LE talk with the kids? Gaining the children's trust without influencing what they say is so important. Again, all this is MO, but they probably are more aware of what was happening in that house than anyone else realizes.

One of my kiddos went on an overnight to a friend's house when they were 11-12. The host's parents had a huge argument. The friend didn't wake up, but my kiddo was terrified.

At 6:00 in the morning my kiddo had the maid call me and asked me to pick her up. She didn't want to discuss why until the next day. It was obviously an awkward situation as neither the parents or the friend were awake yet.

It's truly MO that the oldest, who is so much like LM according to him, probably heard the argument and whatever transpired after to some extent.

It's truly MO that the oldest, who is so much like LM according to him, probably heard the argument and whatever transpired after to some extent.
Snipped for focused response.
Yes, children are nosy by nature and want to be in the know. On the other hand, if these arguments were are routine thing over a period of time, they might just be noise to them at this point....or they may retreat so as not to be in hearing range. Regardless, if they have been in a home where loud arguments have been transpiring, they have been wounded.

At the risk of being a broken record, it is my amateur opinion that those kids should *not* be staying in that home until LE formally clears the father. Let's hope that happens soon, and there is some advancement in this very sad case.

Amateur opinion and speculation

This might not be a popular comment. I know there is genuine concern for the children. Please know I am not on the father's side, and have the same concerns as you. I am just imagining if someone took my children away like what is being suggested. I'm trying to think of cases where the children were taken away from a parent not named a suspect. Taken away, not due to neglect or bad caretaking, but taken away based on just suspicion. Has there been a case or cases like that?

As much as we would all like to see the children not be in the home with LM and possibly his family at this time, the law can't just snatch them away, He is their legal parent. The children are not being abused. He has not been named a suspect. Who is to say where it is best for the children to go? CPS and/or the courts would have to stick their necks out legally to decide to take children away from a parent. Some place neutral would be best. Foster care? JMO, The fact is I don't think there's a legal way to take those children away and put them with Maya's family at this time.

Perhaps because he left the two daughter home alone, they could say it was neglect? What do you think?

Rather than throw tomatoes at me, Please, I'd like to hear what you think can be done legally to get those kids away from their parent who is still not named a suspect. Why would they place them with Maya's family rather than LM's family? I'm trying to see this from a legal perspective. LM's attorney would be involved I'm sure.

All just my own thoughts.

This might not be a popular comment. I know there is genuine concern for the children. Please know I am not on the father's side, and have the same concerns as you. I am just imagining if someone took my children away like what is being suggested. I'm trying to think of cases where the children were taken away from a parent not named a suspect. Taken away, not due to neglect or bad caretaking, but taken away based on just suspicion. Has there been a case or cases like that?

As much as we would all like to see the children not be in the home with LM and possibly his family at this time, the law can't just snatch them away, He is their legal parent. The children are not being abused. He has not been named a suspect. Who is to say where it is best for the children to go? CPS and/or the courts would have to stick their necks out legally to decide to take children away from a parent. Some place neutral would be best. Foster care? JMO, The fact is I don't think there's a legal way to take those children away and put them with Maya's family at this time.

Perhaps because he left the two daughter home alone, they could say it was neglect? What do you think?

Rather than throw tomatoes at me, Please, I'd like to hear what you think can be done legally to get those kids away from their parent who is still not named a suspect.
There’s only 2 ways to get them out.

1. A child accuses the parent of a crime and tells a mandatory reporter or, a teacher, a doctor, etc. see evidence of physical abuse.

2. Someone files for temporary custody as a result of a crime or imminent danger. A relative can petition the court but they need lots of fact to back it up.

Those who’ve never known or seen child neglect find it horrifying to think these girls left alone were traumatized. If that was a normal occurrence, they knew how to fend for themselves. Fix cereal, make a sandwich, sign on to school via video. Fortunately, they were inside a safe home, with food available. It doesn’t make it right, of course. I’m certain they were confused as to what was going on. It’s just not enough to get CPS involved.

Our mother left the 5 of us, aged 1-11, alone for days. We stole food to survive. Nobody had any idea what was going on for quite some time. She did lose custody of 4 of us, eventually. I was the only one she got back, unfortunately. Now that was CPS worthy - no food, no heat, no supervision, etc.

There’s only 2 ways to get them out.

1. A child accuses the parent of a crime and tells a mandatory reporter or, a teacher, a doctor, etc. see evidence of physical abuse.

2. Someone files for temporary custody as a result of a crime or imminent danger. A relative can petition the court but they need lots of fact to back it up.

Those who’ve never known or seen child neglect find it horrifying to think these girls left alone were traumatized. If that was a normal occurrence, they knew how to fend for themselves. Fix cereal, make a sandwich, sign on to school via video. Fortunately, they were inside a safe home, with food available. It doesn’t make it right, of course. I’m certain they were confused as to what was going on. It’s just not enough to get CPS involved.

Our mother left the 5 of us, aged 1-11, alone for days. We stole food to survive. Nobody had any idea what was going on for quite some time. She did lose custody of 4 of us, eventually. I was the only one she got back, unfortunately. Now that was CPS worthy - no food, no heat, no supervision, etc.

Thanks dear @PayrollNerd. You provided so much insight. I'm so sorry you did know such real neglect. I admire you so much as the beautiful person I know you to be and the loving parent you are to your own children.

Answers 1 and 2 make complete sense. They would possibly get the children out. I worry the daughters may want to protect their father. Someone may have suggested to them that he could be taken away if they told what they might know. They may be coached to become distant to Maya's family. Fact is, as you said, there's no easy way to get them out. That's their home and their parent. They may not even want to leave their Dad.

My hope would be that the children be in counseling. I don't know if there's any legal mandate that would require mental health help for them. Is there? I think sometimes in divorce and custody battles the courts suggest counseling for the children.

I don't think anyone can force LM to get them into counseling now though. Those poor children-- they've lost their mother, it's all over the news, they sense the speculation about the father, there may be push & pull from both sides of the family. Please just get them into counseling. I'm pretty sure they adored their loving mother and they don't know where she is or what to think. They need to speak privately with a therapist, at least, in my own opinion. Keeping them in my prayers.

I don't think he'd physically harm them. I don't think this is a Chris Watts situation (I've seen that comparison made a lot around the Internet generally), I don't think this guy's a family annihilator, I think he's happy to now have his kids to himself, and I think he's not dumb enough to hurt his kids while being intensely watched regardless. I do think he's probably not letting them process the fact their mother is missing and likely dead the way they deserve to, though, and I think that is going to compound their grief and trauma even more. Just my thoughts.

edit: re: the kids being left, a mature 11 year old can spend the day on their own, in my opinion, in a safe* house with plenty of food and a phone or some other way to communicate with the world, such as the Internet. Especially if they know the neighbours and would feel comfortable approaching them for help or where the neighbours know to keep an eye/ear out**.

*I know 'safe' is relative in this situation with regards to the safety of the house and who it was safe for.
**I do not know if this is the case here. Just musing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd