Still Missing CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 *husband arrested* #5

I wonder if another criminal defense lawyer will be added to Bonita Martinez' team? Also wonder if defense will continue to maintain its theory that Maya is alive.
moo
I've been wondering the same -- especially since the trial has been moved from SD Central (Judge Moring) to the South County Regional Center and a new Judge.

Remember how patient Judge Moring was with BM's performance during the preliminary hearing and so many sidebars they had to start taking them outside the presence of media in the courtroom!!

I've been wondering the same -- especially since the trial has been moved from SD Central (Judge Moring) to the South County Regional Center and a new Judge.

Remember how patient Judge Moring was with BM's performance during the preliminary hearing and so many sidebars they had to start taking them outside the presence of media in the courtroom!!
Ohhhh...don't get me started! I remember it all too well. IMO, she should not be permitted to practice law in a criminal jury trial. I doubt the new trial judge will be as tolerant as Judge Moring who had to tutor her in court law with virtually every witness question. MOO

email alert!

District Attorney Case Notification <DistrictAttorneyCaseNotification@sdcda.org>

10:46 AM (22 minutes ago)

THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM CASE CS319857:

The event "Further Proceedings" scheduled for Jul 6 2023 8:30AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in department 10 has been Vacated.

The event "Felony Readiness Conference" scheduled for Jul 7 2023 8:30AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in department 10 has been Vacated.

THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN ADDED FOR CASE CS319857:

Felony Readiness Conference scheduled for Jul 6 2023 8:30AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

email alert!

District Attorney Case Notification <DistrictAttorneyCaseNotification@sdcda.org>

10:46 AM (22 minutes ago)

THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM CASE CS319857:

The event "Further Proceedings" scheduled for Jul 6 2023 8:30AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in department 10 has been Vacated.

The event "Felony Readiness Conference" scheduled for Jul 7 2023 8:30AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in department 10 has been Vacated.

Felony Readiness Conference scheduled for Jul 6 2023 8:30AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.
I'm confused on July 6 hearing at 8:30 AM. Which is it -- vacated or hearing set? Thanks.

I'm confused on July 6 hearing at 8:30 AM. Which is it -- vacated or hearing set? Thanks.

from my notes:

Murder: Next further proceedings hearing on 7/6/23 & then felony readiness conference on 7/7/23 @ 8:30am....
The further proceedings hearings scheduled on 7/6 & the felony readiness hearing on 7/7/23 have been vacated. Next felony readiness conference is scheduled on 7/6/23 @ 8:30am.

Looks like they just changed the name of the 7/6/23 hearing & vacated the one on 7/7/23.

I got this in my email alerts - but as usual - can not access it. Can someone give a 10% synopsis on this article?

Looks like they had a custody hearing - on Friday, maybe?

I got this in my email alerts - but as usual - can not access it. Can someone give a 10% synopsis on this article?

Right now, the 3 children are living with Larry’s parents. Maya’s sister is seeking custody, too.

The judge modified visitation so Maya’s sister can have a better chance to see the children this summer.

There’ll be more custody hearings to decide who gets the children. This was a 15 minute hearing, so obviously not much happened.

Right now, the 3 children are living with Larry’s parents. Maya’s sister is seeking custody, too.

The judge modified visitation so Maya’s sister can have a better chance to see the children this summer.

There’ll be more custody hearings to decide who gets the children. This was a 15 minute hearing, so obviously not much happened.

Thank you! Does it say "when" this hearing was held? I would just like to put it in my notes. And no other forthcoming dates mentioned? TIA! :)

edited to add - here is what I have in my notes:

the judge said a final decision on custody of the children likely will not be made until after Larry's murder trial is concluded.

Thank you! Does it say "when" this hearing was held? I would just like to put it in my notes. And no other forthcoming dates mentioned? TIA! :)

edited to add - here is what I have in my notes:

the judge said a final decision on custody of the children likely will not be made until after Larry's murder trial is concluded.

Thank you for the work you do, documenting these cases!

The hearing took place June 2, probably in the AM, since the article was posted at 12:37 pm. It didn’t give any hint as to when future hearings would take place.

No dates for future hearings. From the quoted link:

6/2/2023

During the hearing, the judge granted Maya's sister, Maricris Drouaillet request to modify summer visitation so that she and her husband could spend more time with the children while the kids are on summer break.

<modsnip>

The children are currently living with their paternal grandparents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take note the Aug 10 hearing has nothing to do with the criminal trial. It's specifically about the conservatorship over Maya's estate (as requested at the May 8 hearing) to allow the residence sold.
So sad for Maya's children. Summer vacation should not include the worry of having to pack up your room and where you will live and where you will go to school in the fall.

If they remain with the paternal grandparents, a neighbor has offered their home for rent so the kids can stay in the same school.

However, I'm afraid if the children are still living with the paternal grandparents during the trial (and Larry convicted), they will probably never want to relocate with Maricris, Maya's sister. Larry planted that seed long ago (blaming Maya's family for his arrest), and all the children understand is that they've lost both parents. :( JMO

I've no idea if upcoming hearings for LM will be live streamed. Thus will refrain from my customary Bonita Martinez ("We expect that she is alive!") rant, pending future details.

This is the last time I will combine all his cases. After this I will separate them.

Thursday, July 6th:
*Felony Readiness Conference Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - *May “Maya” Millete (39) (last seen @ home on Jan. 7, 2021, near San Miguel Ranch area, Chula Vista & reported missing Jan. 9, 2021 by her sister; not found). *Larry Ibarreta Millete (40/now 41) charged (10/18/21), arrested (10/19/21) & arraigned (10/21/21) & re-arraigned (1/25/23) with felony murder & felony possession of an assault weapon (a search warrant was served at the residence on 1/23/21. Detectives located a .223/5.56 rifle. The firearm is non-California complaint configuration & is an unlawful assault rifle in violation of 30605 PC, which is a felony). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Denied bail (11/4/21). Found mentally competent to stand trial (9/26/22).
The case has been reassigned to the South Bay courthouse from Judge Dwayne Moring, the jurisdiction where the crime is alleged to have occurred & Judge Enrique Camarena will preside over the trial in Chula Vista.
*Larry Millete (39/now 41) regarding gun violence restraining order on possession of guns (1/7/21) <<temporary GVRO in place against Millete was dissolved 12/1/21. Plead not guilty.

Murder trial set to begin on 10/9/23.
Case & court info from 1/7/21 thru 4/4/23 reference post #629 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-7-jan-2021-husband-arrested-5.600342/page-32

4/13/23 Update: Next felony readiness conference hearing on 5/11/23.
5/11/23 Update: Millete was denied a request Thursday to modify a protective order prohibiting him from contacting his three children. Defense attorney, Bonita Martinez, lodged a request to have that order altered. During a Thursday morning hearing she told Judge Enrique Camarena the ongoing restrictions were harming the emotional & mental wellbeing of her client & his children. Martinez said the children have expressed wanting to speak with their father. Currently, communications between Millete & the children are first reviewed by a court-appointed Guardian Ad Litem, who redacts certain portions before passing letters on to the children & vice versa. Deputy District Attorney Christy Bowles opposed the modification, stating that Millete initially violated the protective order in late 2021 by making "hundreds" of phone calls to the children. The judge denied the request & said that even if he imposed some restrictions, Millete’s prior violations of court orders “doesn’t give me too much confidence that he would abide by my order in any event.” Murder: Next further proceedings hearing on 7/6/23 & then felony readiness conference on 7/7/23 @ 8:30am & motions hearing on 9/11/23 @ 8:30am.
6/2/23 Update: The further proceedings hearings scheduled on 7/6 & 7/7/23 have been vacated. Next felony readiness conference is scheduled on 7/6/23 @ 8:30am.
*Guardianship Case: Family Court Case #37-2021-00046499: Tabalanza, Pabilot vs. Millete, Larry / Family Court Petition for Visitation Case #FL21005040S / Probate court site: San Diego.
Trial in June, 2024 (no specific date).
The battle over guardianship of the Millete children continues in San Diego probate court between Larry's parents & Maya's sister. Both sides are arguing over visitation during the summer months. At a hearing Monday, the judge said a final decision on custody of the children likely will not be made until after Larry's murder trial is concluded. Larry Millete’s parents & May Millete’s sister are both seeking guardianship of the children.

Case & court info from 1/7/21 thru 10/24/22 reference post #336 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-7-jan-2021-husband-arrested-5.600342/page-17

11/4/22 Update: Guardianship: The family of missing Chula Vista mom Maya Millete has been seeking custody & more visitation from the very beginning of this horrific ordeal. So far, they have been unable to come to an agreement regarding joint custody. On Monday, they asked for a trial to force the issue. On Monday, a court appointed guardian for the children requested what is called a 730 evaluation to get a professional psychiatric account of the children’s current emotional state. This is common in family court proceedings, but costly & can take anywhere from three to five months. It was granted.
5/8/23 Update: Guardianship: The battle over guardianship of the Millete children continues in San Diego probate court between Larry's parents & Maya's sister. Both sides are arguing over visitation during the summer months. At a hearing Monday, 5/8/23, the judge said a final decision on custody of the children likely will not be made until after Larry's murder trial is concluded.
6/2/23 Update: In the hearing, the judge granted Maya's sister, Maricris Drouaillet request to modify summer visitation so that she & her husband could spend more time with the children while the kids are on summer break. There’ll be more custody hearings to decide who gets the children. No further info or dates given in article.
Conservatorship Case: To have a conservator take control of Maya’s estate in her absence filed on 5/11/23 by sister Drouaillet. San Diego County
5/11/23: Conservatorship: Maya's sister Maricris Drouaillet filed court papers to have a conservator take control of Maya's estate in her absence. The documents stated that foreclosure proceedings were started on the Milletes' Chula Vista home by their lender due to missed mortgage payments & that "sufficient funds do not exist to continue making payments on the mortgage & maintain the house." A hearing has been set for 8/10/23 regarding the conservatorship.

from my email alert - so no link...

Felony Readiness Conference scheduled for Jul 13 2023 8:30AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

Felony Readiness Conference scheduled for Jul 24 2023 8:30AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

Further Proceedings scheduled for Jul 24 2023 1:30PM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

Thursday, July 13th:
*Felony Readiness Conference Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - *May “Maya” Millete (39) (last seen @ home on Jan. 7, 2021, near San Miguel Ranch area, Chula Vista & reported missing Jan. 9, 2021 by her sister; not found). *Larry Ibarreta Millete (40/now 41) charged (10/18/21), arrested (10/19/21) & arraigned (10/21/21) & re-arraigned (1/25/23) with felony murder & felony possession of an assault weapon (a search warrant was served at the residence on 1/23/21. Detectives located a .223/5.56 rifle. The firearm is non-California complaint configuration & is an unlawful assault rifle in violation of 30605 PC, which is a felony). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Denied bail (11/4/21). Found mentally competent to stand trial (9/26/22).
The case has been reassigned to the South Bay courthouse from Judge Dwayne Moring, the jurisdiction where the crime is alleged to have occurred & Judge Enrique Camarena will preside over the trial in Chula Vista.
Murder trial set to begin on 10/9/23.

Case & court info from 1/7/21 thru 5/11/23 reference post #675 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-7-jan-2021-husband-arrested-5.600342/page-34

6/2/23 Update: The further proceedings hearings scheduled on 7/6 & 7/7/23 have been vacated. Next felony readiness conference is scheduled on 7/6/23 @ 8:30am.
7/6/23 Update: Next felony readiness conference hearing on 7/13/23 & felony readiness conference & further proceedings hearing on 7/24/23.
*Guardianship Case: Family Court Case The judge said a final decision on custody of the children likely will not be made until after Larry's murder trial is concluded.
Conservatorship Case: Hearing on
8/10/23.

I’m so mad! and sad again, this so very beautiful woman was senselessly murdered. Probably because she was so gorgeous and outgoing. I had to swallow hard when Maya’s sister was breaking down about Maya’s child saying ‘Mommy didn’t come to my birthday’ paraphrased… Where is Maya?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back