Still Missing CA - Michaela Garecht, 9, Hayward, 19 Nov 1988 *ARREST*

Great article by the Alta Journal that was published today:

Michaela’s Shadow

"More than three decades ago, Sharon Murch’s nine-year-old daughter disappeared. Now, a suspect has been charged in the case, and justice may be near, but a mother’s grieving never ends."

The article states that the murders of Michaela Garecht and Michelle Xavier & Jennifer Duey will be tried together. The trial for David Misch is scheduled for November.

The Alameda Superior Court site has hearings listed for 11/16 and 11/17 at 8:45 AM.

Great article by the Alta Journal that was published today:

Michaela’s Shadow

"More than three decades ago, Sharon Murch’s nine-year-old daughter disappeared. Now, a suspect has been charged in the case, and justice may be near, but a mother’s grieving never ends."

The article states that the murders of Michaela Garecht and Michelle Xavier & Jennifer Duey will be tried together. The trial for David Misch is scheduled for November.

The Alameda Superior Court site has hearings listed for 11/16 and 11/17 at 8:45 AM.
Finally!
I was wondering about a court date!
Thank you for the post, @faithx

Hearing now set for 3/29/22, 9 am. Why all the delays?
It always takes a long time for criminal cases to go to trial, but now the delays are even worse because of COVID. Additionally, Michaela's case and the 1986 double murder case (which has been going on since March 2018) are being tried together. There's probably a lot of information to sort through and both sides are making sure their ducks are in a row.

Was on an American most wanted forum and someone found a photo of Misch I’m assuming after his arrest in 1990 her friend nailed the sketch I’m shocked police didn’t catch on sooner.

Also found this on the forum

Here is a timeline for David Misch (if anyone is interested):

1977: Misch, then 16, breaks into a neighbor's house and rapes the household maid (at knifepoint).

1978: Paroled for this crime.

February 1979: Arrested for false imprisonment and assault with a deadly weapon (later charged with assault with intent to commit rape). Released just months later in September on parole.

July 1982: Convicted of beating a woman at knifepoint. Amazingly, he is paroled again in January 1984.

1985: Arrested for indecent exposure after he was found to be driving around naked in Oakland.

1986: Was under suspicion for several drug and burglary incidents, diversion court was being considered.

February 1986: Murders Michelle Xavier and Jennifer Duey by shooting and strangulation. Rape also occurred, according to the police. Misch isn't charged until much later for this case.

May 1988: Convicted of burglary and given a sentence of one year plus one year of probation. Paroled in October-November 1988.

November 19, 1988: Michaela Garecht is abducted from the Rainbow Market parking lot in Hayward, CA.

November 21-25, 1988: Arrested for drug possession.

November 17, 1989: Paroled for the drug possession charges.

December 1989: Murders Margaret Ball. The crime is horrific: Ball was found in a fetal possession laying on a butcher's knife that she had been stabbed with numerous times, and she was beaten so badly that Misch knocked out one of Ball's teeth.

1990: Convicted of Ball's murder. Receives a term of 18 years to life in prison.

2006: Denied parole.

2009: Denied parole for a second time.

2018: Charged with the Duey and Xavier homicides.

December 21, 2020: Charged with murder in the presumed death of Michaela Garecht.

Attachments

• F793CB84-773F-4111-80C8-73228458EFA8.jpeg
    F793CB84-773F-4111-80C8-73228458EFA8.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 72
Was on an American most wanted forum and someone found a photo of Misch I’m assuming after his arrest in 1990 her friend nailed the sketch I’m shocked police didn’t catch on sooner.

1977: Misch, then 16, breaks into a neighbor's house and rapes the household maid (at knifepoint).

February 1979: Arrested for false imprisonment and assault with a deadly weapon (later charged with assault with intent to commit rape). Released just months later in September on parole.

July 1982: Convicted of beating a woman at knifepoint. Amazingly, he is paroled again in January 1984.

1985: Arrested for indecent exposure after he was found to be driving around naked in Oakland.

1986: Was under suspicion for several drug and burglary incidents, diversion court was being considered.

February 1986: Murders Michelle Xavier and Jennifer Duey by shooting and strangulation. Rape also occurred, according to the police. Misch isn't charged until much later for this case.

May 1988: Convicted of burglary and given a sentence of one year plus one year of probation. Paroled in October-November 1988.

November 19, 1988: Michaela Garecht is abducted from the Rainbow Market parking lot in Hayward, CA.

December 1989: Murders Margaret Ball. The crime is horrific: Ball was found in a fetal possession laying on a butcher's knife that she had been stabbed with numerous times, and she was beaten so badly that Misch knocked out one of Ball's teeth.

1990: Convicted of Ball's murder. Receives a term of 18 years to life in prison.

December 21, 2020: Charged with murder in the presumed death of Michaela Garecht.

Wowwww. That’s one of the closest likenesses I’ve ever seen.

For anyone interested, the legal upload's of Unsolved Mysteries by both the Unsolved Mysteries and FilmRise Youtube channels have updated the episode Michaela's case was featured in, Season 1: Episode 14! They have added an update for her case with details regarding David Misch.

Just thought i would add a small update about David Misch

Cases where we can eliminate Misch as a suspect

1. Amber Schwartz Garcia. Misch was in prison during the time of Amber disappearance for burglary

2. Ilene Beth Misheloff vanished in January 1989 again Misch was in prison for drug possession chargers

3. Amanda Nikki Campbell in 1991 he was serving the prison sentenced for the murder of Margaret Ball

Cases where he could be considered a suspect

1. Joyce Irene Walcott a nineteen year old who vanished from Reseda CA in April of 1986

2. Elaina Eugenia Rivera a 13 year old who vanished from Ramona CA In June 1987

3. Deisy Herrera a three year old who vanished in Kern CA on December 28th 1987

Probably more but since these girls all represent woman around the same age as his victims i thought i would add it in.

Looks like today’s preliminary hearing actually happened. Next hearing is motion for discovery scheduled for 5/13/22.
Looks like this is still on for tomorrow but he also now has hearings scheduled for:
5/27
6/29
6/30

His lawyer has previously claimed that the evidence against him is “junk science” but hopefully they’re working out a plea to save Michaela’s mother the strain of a trial, especially considering her health issues.

I just found out that Michaela’s mom passed away this week from metastatic breast cancer. Really surprised as I followed her blog and it always sounded like they were managing it well. Perhaps the strain of everything was too much….

Extremely sad by this news but comforted that she and Michaela are together.

I just found out that Michaela’s mom passed away this week from metastatic breast cancer. Really surprised as I followed her blog and it always sounded like they were managing it well. Perhaps the strain of everything was too much….

Extremely sad by this news but comforted that she and Michaela are together.

Oh my goodness! Ugh! This is just so angering and heartbreaking for her to die just when she was finally going to get justice for her daughter!

As a Catholic I do believe in the existence of heaven and I believe that Sharon has now been reunited with her daughter after so many long decades!

I wonder if this means Michaela’s dad Rod will now pick up Sharon’s torch to see David Misch brought to justice?

At the very least Sharon didn’t die without any answers…

I would also like to add the following.

Kathy Ann Miramontes, 25, murdered in Union City in March 1982. Police reopen brutal 1982 Fremont cold case killing

Sally Anne Schneider, 25, missing from San Anselmo in February 1984. Sally Anne Schneider – The Charley Project

Stephanie Praszker, 28, missing from San Francisco in July 1985. Stephanie Praszker – The Charley Project

Michaela's mum said that she liked to think of her daughter flying amongst the stars. I like to think so as well.

Just thought i would post this as well and unless I’m reading it wrong then it says Misch lived in or had an address in Idaho when he was first arrested now if Misch really did travel as a transient serial killer they need to start looking at states other then California like Nevada, Oregon, Utah and of course Idaho for his crimes I’m really starting to get a bad feeling this guy has a ton more victims in possibly other states.

I’m not trying to speculate or start theories but Jennifer Martin came to mind after i read this report about Misch

Martin was abducted or believed to have been abducted outside a 7 eleven store in June of 1987 near Reno NV Misch was not in prison during this time frame so while I’m not saying he is responsible he certainly needs to be looked into for more of these kind of disappearances of girls. He was an opportunistic Serial Killer and if everything in this report is accurate i don’t want to imagine how many more victims he may have.

Report on Misch. https://www.alcoda.org/newsroom/files/MISCH_DAVID_PC_DEC_20-CR-016382.pdf

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back