CA - Mother & 16YO son arrested for murder of family members (8 YO twin boys & 12 YO girl), West Hills, 9 May 2022

realanastasia

Reaction score

“Neighbors say the family had only moved into the home about three months ago but often heard arguments and screaming, including the night before the children were found.

"I kept hearing 'my family is abusing me' and (I) just kept hearing screaming but I couldn't make out what she was saying," said neighbor Prisila Canales.

Neighbors stopped by, dropping flowers and paying their respects Monday, after learning what happened inside the West Hills home.

Edilson Hernandez Castro told Eyewitness News that he played with the children when they first moved in, and said he hadn't seen the kids in a while.

"When I heard of it, I got like worried for the kids, and I got really sad because we kinda got, had like a bonding time together," Castro said.”

“Angela Flores was found clutching a Bible at her West Hills home on Mother’s Day when police discovered her three dead children inside the ranch-style house.

Flores would admit to killing her children with help from an unidentified 16-year-old, the Los Angeles Police Department said Monday. That teen, police sources said, is the mother’s son. Both were arrested on suspicion of murder in the children’s deaths.

Police received a 911 call about 7:40 a.m. Sunday and rushed to the 22500 block of Victory Boulevard, a residential area in the San Fernando Valley, for reports of an assault with a deadly weapon. Officers found three children — a 12-year-old girl and two 8-year-old boys — who were unresponsive, authorities said.

Paramedics were called to the home, and all three children were pronounced dead.”

“Neighbors say the family had only moved into the home about three months ago but often heard arguments and screaming, including the night before the children were found.

"I kept hearing 'my family is abusing me' and (I) just kept hearing screaming but I couldn't make out what she was saying," said neighbor Prisila Canales.

Neighbors stopped by, dropping flowers and paying their respects Monday, after learning what happened inside the West Hills home.

Edilson Hernandez Castro told Eyewitness News that he played with the children when they first moved in, and said he hadn't seen the kids in a while.

"When I heard of it, I got like worried for the kids, and I got really sad because we kinda got, had like a bonding time together," Castro said.”
I've been sick over this today. I don't want to blame anyone but the horrible excuse for a mother & brother (but who knows, maybe he was abused too) but why oh why didn't the neighbors call 911 when they heard the screaming? It's heartbreaking...... Are people that afraid to "get involved"? I couldn't hear children screaming and not take action.

I've been sick over this today. I don't want to blame anyone but the horrible excuse for a mother & brother (but who knows, maybe he was abused too) but why oh why didn't the neighbors call 911 when they heard the screaming? It's heartbreaking...... Are people that afraid to "get involved"? I couldn't hear children screaming and not take action.
This is a town I drive through almost every day. It always seems like a nice suburban family area. I walk our dogs in a park here and visit good friends here. This is surreal. And such a heartbreaking Mother's Day Scenario. :oops:

And I agree, why did people say they heard screaming all the time, and yet no one called 911 to see who was screaming and why?

“Angela Flores was arrested after her 8-year-old twin boys and 12-year-old daughter were found dead on Sunday (May 8) at their home in the West Hills area of Los Angeles. Bail was set at $6 million on Monday (May 9), and Fox Los Angeles reported that another of Flores' children, a teenage boy, was also taken into custody in connection with the alleged crime. Flores is thought to have seven children, but three other children live elsewhere with their father and were unharmed, according to the New York Post.”

So the two younger victims were both 8 years old, not 8 and 9 as original reports stated. I will request mods change title of thread to reflect this.

im going to guess the oldest boy was also abused. so sad.
That would not explain why he would help her and not try to get help for his siblings.
She was heard yelling that her family was abusing her. What if there is some truth to that and perhaps it was the 16 year old? What if he hates his mom and got back at her by doing this on Mother’s Day? He blames her for what happens so she feels responsible and tries take the blame for it.

I strongly suspect mother has mental health issues. I can't begin to imagine why the teen assisted but I haven't seen any details on what specifically the teen did to "help" his mom kill the children so can't even speculate.

the video at this link has the names of the two young boys and info about their ages grades and school. No cause of death has been provided by LE (ie. gun, stabbed, strangled?). But if gun I can see the 16 year old son having a decision to make, assist or join them. Gonna withhold judgment on the teen involvement until more info is shared about his level of involvement and what his possible motivators may have been.
-------------------------------------------

While Flores was arrested in three of the killings, the teen was arrested in one of them, police said.

Flores "admitted to killing her children," the police statement said. But it was not immediately known whether she had a lawyer who could speak on her behalf. Online jail records showed she was detained on $6 million bail, with no court date set yet.
[snip]
Paramedics pronounced the children dead and CBS Los Angeles identified the victims as a 12-year-old girl, an 8-year-old boy and a 10-year-boy.

Mother and teen arrested after 3 kids found dead in Los Angeles home

I strongly suspect mother has mental health issues. I can't begin to imagine why the teen assisted but I haven't seen any details on what specifically the teen did to "help" his mom kill the children so can't even speculate.

the video at this link has the names of the two young boys and info about their ages grades and school. No cause of death has been provided by LE (ie. gun, stabbed, strangled?). But if gun I can see the 16 year old son having a decision to make, assist or join them. Gonna withhold judgment on the teen involvement until more info is shared about his level of involvement and what his possible motivators may have been.

While Flores was arrested in three of the killings, the teen was arrested in one of them, police said.

Flores "admitted to killing her children," the police statement said. But it was not immediately known whether she had a lawyer who could speak on her behalf. Online jail records showed she was detained on $6 million bail, with no court date set yet.
[snip]
Paramedics pronounced the children dead and CBS Los Angeles identified the victims as a 12-year-old girl, an 8-year-old boy and a 10-year-boy.

Purely guessing, but I suspect the younger boys would’ve been easier to subdue (God, I even hate writing that euphemistic description of the horrors those poor children suffered) than a 12 year old girl, who might’ve been significantly taller/heavier/stronger than her younger brothers. As a result, I suspect the 16-year old may have attacked the 12-year old, which would explain the difference in charges.

“Angela Flores, 38, claimed to believe the children were possessed by demons and repeatedly jumped on them because she thought she could drive the demons out, law enforcement sources said.

Neighbors said they saw Flores holding a Bible and lighting candles in a yard near the home and called authorities about the strange behavior late Saturday night.

LAPD Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton said Flores was taken to a hospital about midnight. The bodies of the three children were not found inside the home until the next morning, seven hours later, Hamilton said Tuesday….LAPD officers responded to the ranch-style house shortly after 7:40 a.m. Sunday after a 911 call reported an assault with a deadly weapon at the location, according to a department statement.”

UGH —so that means that the kids were likely deceased in the house when AF got picked up by LAPD. It depends when she was released from custody, I suppose—someone did call 911 from the home to report assault with a deadly weapon around 7, prompting the cops to show up again. Did they not check the house on the earlier visit ?? Did they not ask her whether or not she had children or if there were others inside the home? Is that not standard operating procedure for LE?

And what about the bystanders quoted in this article—Did NONE of the neighbors who called LAPD on AF at midnight mention to the first responders that they knew children also lived in that house?

Last edited:

[snip]

"While Flores was arrested in three of the killings, the teen was arrested in one of them, police said."

That is just heartbreaking to think about.

This case will take many months or years to work its way toward a possible trial. The psychiatrists will have the first say and that whole process will take time. This is California, and justice moves at a glacial pace especially in high profile murder cases like this.
Those poor kids, may they rest in peace...

That would not explain why he would help her and not try to get help for his siblings.
She was heard yelling that her family was abusing her. What if there is some truth to that and perhaps it was the 16 year old? What if he hates his mom and got back at her by doing this on Mother’s Day? He blames her for what happens so she feels responsible and tries take the blame for it.
yes it would. abused children often assist the abuser to "save themselves" they get brainwashed by the abuser as well. im not saying he shouldnt be held accountable. however maybe youre right, maybe it was the 16 year old all along. hopefully the truth is revealed.

yes it would. abused children often assist the abuser to "save themselves" they get brainwashed by the abuser as well. im not saying he shouldnt be held accountable. however maybe youre right, maybe it was the 16 year old all along. hopefully the truth is revealed.

Criminal experts say a child helping a parent kill their siblings is extremely rare.

Forensic psychologist Dr. Phillip J. Resnick told the Times that while a mother and father committing filicide together was relatively unusual — "a child's involvement is another phenomenon."

LAPD Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton described the 16-year-old's alleged involvement as "very rare", while retired Los Angeles County sheriff's investigator Dan Scott agreed: "It is almost unknown for a child to be arrested in these circumstances."

Something like that would probably be more likely to occur in a family that homeschooled and was completely isolated. It doesn’t sound like this was one of those families. There is a lot that doesn’t make sense with this story. Mom is having a breakdown and yelling her family is abusing her. She gets taken, for an evaluation, in the middle of the night, but nobody checks on her family. The teen, who supposedly helped her, doesn’t call for help, until the next morning.

Last edited:

Criminal experts say a child helping a parent kill their siblings is extremely rare.

Forensic psychologist Dr. Phillip J. Resnick told the Times that while a mother and father committing filicide together was relatively unusual — "a child's involvement is another phenomenon."

LAPD Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton described the 16-year-old's alleged involvement as "very rare", while retired Los Angeles County sheriff's investigator Dan Scott agreed: "It is almost unknown for a child to be arrested in these circumstances."

Something like that would probably be more likely to occur in a family that homeschooled and was completely isolated. It doesn’t sound like this was one of those families. There is a lot that doesn’t make sense with this story. Mom is having a breakdown and yelling her family is abusing her. She gets taken, for an evaluation, in the middle of the night, but nobody checks on her family. The teen, who supposedly helped her, doesn’t call for help, until the next morning.
kill, yes. abuse, it happens.

Wow. How was she supporting herself? Did she have a job?
To lease or buy a home in West Hills is fairly expensive. And one article said it was the nicest home on the block. She had to have proof of steady income to attain a nice home in that middle class section of West Hills. The housing market here is so tight and competitive right now. Way more people want houses than are available. Maybe a family member owned the home and offered it to them?

Otherwise she would have had to pony up a big down payment and or security deposit and show proof of income to secure that home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back