CA - Multiple Deaths In Mass Shootings At Two Dance Studios in Monterey Park By Gunman Huu Can Tran, Jan 2023

Someone posted an interview with the ex-wife on this thread last night and the ex-wife said that Tran would anger easily, but that he never was violent. So far, we are getting conflicting statements of domestic abuse from MSM, the Mayor, and the ex-wife. The shooting could have been targeted to the dance studios and only indirectly targeting the ex-wife. I think we will learn more eventually as LE complete their investigation.

ETA Link

So … his ex wife wasn’t shot?

Agreed with above poster that this was not a hate crime but more of a vendetta for unknown reasons.

Also, the owner can't invite all and sundry as there is a limited amount of chairs , tables, and dance floor space.
So I'm not completely clear if the shooter wasn't invited as a matter of course ... or if the owner didn't want him specifically ?
I'm inclined to think it was the former, and the killer for reasons known to himself took it personally ?
Senseless and incomprehensible.

My utmost condolences to the families of the victims !!
So sorry they lost their precious innocent loved ones.

Kudos to Mr. Tsay who tackled the gunman at the second location.
The killer could also have had a second gun on his person, and Tsay could have also died !
Imo.

'When I got the courage, I lunged at him with both my hands, grabbed the weapon an we struggled into the lobby, trying to get this gun away from each other. He was hitting me across the face and bashing my head.

'I was trying to create some distance. Finally, at one point, I was able to pull the gun away from him, shove him aside and create some distance.

'I was able to get the gun and point it at him, intimidate him, shout: "Get the hell away from here! I'll shoot! Get away!"
I’m surprised (but very glad) that police didn’t mistake him for the gunman!

Jennifer Liu told CBS News that both of her parents, Nancy and Jeff Liu, were among the victims of the shooting. She said on Twitter that her parents had been "separated in the panic." Nancy Liu, 62, was shot and killed, while Jeff Liu was wounded and taken to the hospital, but he has since been discharged, she said.

- difficult personality
- a quiet loner
- at the same time, accumulating a whole warehouse of ammo
- 72 and possibly, delusional (a new symptom? Ex-wife spoke mostly about anger)
- being pretty much prepared to die
- shooting came as a total shock to the neighbors

I don’t know if it was personal. Possibly, it formed a personal loop in his brain, but IRL, Tran was a garden-variety mass shooter. He probably chose the ballroom(s) the same way Steve Paddock chose Mandalay Bay, or school shooters choose schools. Whatever is closer and better-known, whatever was his life.

The only discount I would give Tran might be his age. MOO - what he was starting to develop was not Alzheimer’s, but more likely, Lewy body dementia, which is poorly diagnosed, and often starts with psychotic symptoms. But it is only JMO.

So, while the local Chinese leader might know the undercurrents of his community, all of this - Asian New Year, ballrooms, red paper lanterns, jealousy and grudges - while adding flavor, of course, takes nothing away from the shootings being our own, our grim reality and statistics.

RIP all the deceased dancers, and speedy recovery to the wounded. Condolences to all relatives who lost their beloved ones, including our own @steeltowngirl and her husband’s family.

And Brandon Tsay is a true hero!
It is interesting what you wrote about "Lewy dementia" - it is new to me.

I wonder as he lived in some kind of "retirement village" (Im not sure of the exact name) if these retired folks were under doctor's care?
Was he diagnosed and treated?
It doesn't seem so.

What a tragedy:(

RIP to all victims and condolences to families.

- difficult personality
- a quiet loner
- at the same time, accumulating a whole warehouse of ammo
- 72 and possibly, delusional (a new symptom? Ex-wife spoke mostly about anger)
- being pretty much prepared to die
- shooting came as a total shock to the neighbors

I don’t know if it was personal. Possibly, it formed a personal loop in his brain, but IRL, Tran was a garden-variety mass shooter. He probably chose the ballroom(s) the same way Steve Paddock chose Mandalay Bay, or school shooters choose schools. Whatever is closer and better-known, whatever was his life.

The only discount I would give Tran might be his age. MOO - what he was starting to develop was not Alzheimer’s, but more likely, Lewy body dementia, which is poorly diagnosed, and often starts with psychotic symptoms. But it is only JMO.

So, while the local Chinese leader might know the undercurrents of his community, all of this - Asian New Year, ballrooms, red paper lanterns, jealousy and grudges - while adding flavor, of course, takes nothing away from the shootings being our own, our grim reality and statistics.

RIP all the deceased dancers, and speedy recovery to the wounded. Condolences to all relatives who lost their beloved ones, including our own @steeltowngirl and her husband’s family.

And Brandon Tsay is a true hero!
bbm
Wait, what ????????

I am so sorry , @steeltowngirl !
I didn't know this.
My utmost condolences.
:(

rbbm

Experts say the weekend mass shooting that sent fear through Los Angeles-area Asian American communities highlights the lack of national standards for notifying the public, and the need for an aggressive alert system — similar to Amber alerts — that would immediately set off alarms on cellphones in surrounding areas and post warnings on highway signs.''

It is interesting what you wrote about "Lewy dementia" - it is new to me.

I wonder as he lived in some kind of "retirement village" (Im not sure of the exact name) if these retired folks were under doctor's care?
Was he diagnosed and treated?
It doesn't seem so.

What a tragedy:(

RIP to all victims and condolences to families.

It is just my idea. But Lewy body dementia is, apparently, second commonest after Alzheimer’s and often undiagnosed, because the dementing component and movement disorder might trail way behind delusions and hallucinations. It is more common in men, so I thought - 72, male, suddenly becoming paranoid and delusional (trip to the police), but yet perfectly able to organize and perform the act, what could it be?

ETA: and of course, I can be wrong. They are trying to do autopsies in some cases of mass shooting, trying to understand. But the science behind might just be developing.

Last edited:
Oh no! I think I caused confusion. My post #108 was from a post by Tiffany Liou WFAA, reporting that HER husband’s aunt MyMy was among the fatalities.
OMG, I am sorry! I probably misunderstood, looking at the photo and not noticing the name about it. (sleepy and too lazy to check the FB). They always say such mistakes are good omen for the ones mentioned.

When 11 people were killed in his hometown of Monterey Park on Saturday, Raymond Cheung struggled to find the words to tell his mom.

As she cooked for her grandkids and handed out red envelopes for Lunar New Year, he couldn’t bear to break that news that the city, once her safe haven, had been the backdrop to a grisly crime.

Cheung’s family had spent much of their lives there. After his parents immigrated from China in the 1960s, and then to the West Coast, Monterey Park was the obvious choice.

Thousands of Asian immigrants share that story...

It seems that all of the dance hall victims were in fact Asian. Most were Chinese, some from Vietnam and Taiwan, and one Filipino.

It's so disturbing that here we have two elderly men committing mass murder, in the same state and a day apart. People who were working and people who were dancing---to fall violently at the hands of elderly men seems so incongruent.

Not that elderly men can't nurse a grudge, obviously, but it seems so much less likely the profile of a mass murderer.

Jmo

It seems that all of the dance hall victims were in fact Asian. Most were Chinese, some from Vietnam and Taiwan, and one Filipino.

It's so disturbing that here we have two elderly men committing mass murder, in the same state and a day apart. People who were working and people who were dancing---to fall violently at the hands of elderly men seems so incongruent.

Not that elderly men can't nurse a grudge, obviously, but it seems so much less likely the profile of a mass murderer.

Jmo

Reminds me of the Las Vegas gunman, I thought he was older than usual for this kind of mass murder and he was 64 years old.

I don't know the age of the killer in Half Moon Bay, but if he was older, too, then maybe we are going to see more of this as people live longer and stay in the workforce longer. I hope not, and that these three are just outliers.

Edited to add: Shooter in workplace violence case at Half Moon Bay is 66 years old.

Hopeless. Desperate. Lonely. And yet, the choice such people make does not make me sorry for them.

It is a form of Herostrates syndrome. It just comes in the form of mass shooting in our day and age, but it has always been there, and the same.

So the common traits:

- feeling that he is destined for something that would make him famous
- collector of grievances (in Herostratus' story, blamed lack of success on less-than-noble parenting, in our time, on school, family, exes)
- getting into history by negative attention (destroying 7th wonder of the world, or mass shooting, or 9/11)

My feeling, there is one important motive in their behavior. "Look at me, i am depressed and suicidal, no one cares about me, if I die, they won't even come to my funerals. Let me at least get into the Wikipedia by killing as many as i can".

And the sad part it, they do get into the Wikipedia, these shooters, while their victims don't.

It is up to the psychologists to think of how to reverse the pattern. Maybe the Wikipedias have to be rewritten, to make the articles not about the shooters, but about their victims? "A stupid loser who couldn't achieve, so he had to kill eleven wonderful people, but was beaten up by a hero nearby, and ended up killing himself, ambushed by the police", and then write about the victims, their life stories, and the hero.

The elders of Miletus, who once stopped an epidemic of suicides by threatening posthumous disgrace, were not so wrong.
MOO - one of the things that we need to change in the society is switch from glory to disgrace. From a line in Wikipedia - to the worst disgrace possible. The de-heroization might help. This is what they once did in Miletus.

What form of disgrace can we offer in the 21 century?

Hopeless. Desperate. Lonely. And yet, the choice such people make does not make me sorry for them.

It is a form of Herostrates syndrome. It just comes in the form of mass shooting in our day and age, but it has always been there, and the same.

So the common traits:

- feeling that he is destined for something that would make him famous
- collector of grievances (in Herostratus' story, blamed lack of success on less-than-noble parenting, in our time, on school, family, exes)
- getting into history by negative attention (destroying 7th wonder of the world, or mass shooting, or 9/11)

My feeling, there is one important motive in their behavior. "Look at me, i am depressed and suicidal, no one cares about me, if I die, they won't even come to my funerals. Let me at least get into the Wikipedia by killing as many as i can".

And the sad part it, they do get into the Wikipedia, these shooters, while their victims don't.

It is up to the psychologists to think of how to reverse the pattern. Maybe the Wikipedias have to be rewritten, to make the articles not about the shooters, but about their victims? "A stupid loser who couldn't achieve, so he had to kill eleven wonderful people, but was beaten up by a hero nearby, and ended up killing himself, ambushed by the police", and then write about the victims, their life stories, and the hero.

The elders of Miletus, who once stopped an epidemic of suicides by threatening posthumous disgrace, were not so wrong.
MOO - one of the things that we need to change in the society is switch from glory to disgrace. From a line in Wikipedia - to the worst disgrace possible. The de-heroization might help. This is what they once did in Miletus.

What form of disgrace can we offer in the 21 century?
Great post!
Noting..
“This accused committed a horrific crime, one of the most devastating tragedies this city has ever endured, for the purpose of achieving fame,” Molloy said in her decision.''

The movement to not name people accused of serious crimes has gained steam in the three years since M carried out his van attack.

Last year, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau urged the media to avoid mentioning the name of the man who carried out a mass killing in Nova Scotia.

“Do not give him the gift of infamy,” Trudeau said the day after the April 2020 rampage, urging people to instead focus on the victims and their loved ones.

That call echoed a vow from New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern in March 2019, that she would never say the name of a man who opened fire on a Christchurch mosque, killing 50 people.''

LE found Tran's motorcycle parked nearby, and think he may have parked it there just before the murders as an alternative getaway vehicle if he needed it.

Also, LE still looking for motive, so far have not identified a motive for the murders.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back