CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think another reason might be because it tells how close the shooter likely was, which direction the shot came from (above him, from the top, from one side, etc.), or possibly some other odds and ends that might point to a particular person who they may, or may not, suspect. MOO

In the first insert I drew black arrows to possible areas where a shooter could have stood.

A possible exit route, after the shot, could have been Campfire Center Path. The perpetrator could have traveled down Crags Rd to Century Mtwy. It would have allowed him to evade being seen if police vehicles, ambulance or other responding personnel entered through Park Entrance Road. Does anyone know what the buildings are on Century Mtwy close to Mesa Peak Motorway (the third aerial map designated with orange arrow)? I noticed that it is close to Tapia Park where JR was shot.

map of camp 2.png
small version state camp aerial 2.png
small aerial of surrounding area.png

“The coroner’s report of Beaudette’s murder has been sealed at the request of homicide detectives and my sources tell me one of the reasons could be because the caliber of bullet used.” Excerpt from the article linked below.

What is the importance of withholding information on the caliber of bullet?

UPDATE: Shootings Continue in Malibu Canyon Keeping Law Enforcement Busy - The Local Malibu

They could easily redact that info. There’s definitely something more going on here.

In the first insert I drew black arrows to possible areas where a shooter could have stood.

A possible exit route, after the shot, could have been Campfire Center Path. The perpetrator could have traveled down Crags Rd to Century Mtwy. It would have allowed him to evade being seen if police vehicles, ambulance or other responding personnel entered through Park Entrance Road. Does anyone know what the buildings are on Century Mtwy close to Mesa Peak Motorway (the third aerial map designated with orange arrow)? I noticed that it is close to Tapia Park where JR was shot.

View attachment 138641
View attachment 138643
View attachment 138642
Here's a little more info about Mesa Peak Motorway
Mesa Peak Motorway - Trails - Los Angeles County

There also appears to be a trail that runs from Dorothy Dr., near Camp Gilmore and Tapia Park, to the MCSP Group Camp:
Google Maps

Approx. 12 - 15 years when I lived in an apartment near Downtown Los Angeles, there was a neighbor living in the same building whose hometown was Malibu, CA.
I remember this neighbor telling me about a parcel of property owned by the parents of the neighbor.
It was an undeveloped hilltop or hillside piece of property located inland Malibu/Calabassas area.
The parents plan was to build their retirement nest home on this property now that their children were all grown adults.
But they had delayed moving forward with their plans because of a person who occupied an adjacent property.
I can't recall the exact details, but this person had either directly expressed hostility towards my neighbor's parents or there were items disturbed or vandalized on the parent's parcel which they attributed to this person indirectly sending a message of hostility to them, or both.
My neighbor's parents were in a quandary.
They couldn't begin developing their parcel because they felt they wouldn't be safe living near the occupant of the adjacent property.
My recollection of what my neighbor told me was this person was an 18-25 year old male whose behavior would be characterized as exhibiting some mental illness or personality disorder.
This person's family was of the financial means to acquire the adjacent property for the purpose of housing this hostile family member in isolation from other family members and normal society.
My neighbor moved and we lost touch, so i don't know what ever became of her parents plans for their parcel or what became of the occupant of the adjacent parcel who they feared.
Allowing for error in recollection and estimations, that hostile person would now be age 33-45.
One last detail to share here - my neighbor who was raised in Malibu was bi-racial.
My neighbor's father was American of white European descent.
My neighbor's mother was American of Chinese descent.

I'm not really sure why this is a sticking point. Yes, there are trees in the park and of course in the campground - but right behind those trees is rock, sand etc. I worked in the park; I'm not sure why this has to be re-hashed. For the last time I'll say that yes, there were trees - but it is not considered 'forest'. Look at the map; it's not green! If you want to believe it was really forested, go ahead.

Yep you are right.

This whole case just has me totally perplexed on possible answers. I go back and forth on random vs. someone known to victim.

We have a daughter in LA and one week before this shooting I hiked the Parker Mess Overlook Trail in the neighboring Topanga State Park. Contrasting the beauty of those memories with this evil has me very interested in the outcome of this case.
In many ways Topanga would make more sense as a 'random shooter' scenario vs. MCSP because it's more forested and generally much easier to hide in. Endless nooks and crannies.

I don't think the shooter would have needed to run very far to hide and escape. All he'd have to do is get past a few campsites, walk toward a potential exit, and ask people along the way if they knew what that sound was. Saying it sounded like a gunshot and that he wondered if someone should call 911 would make him seem like just another confused/concerned camper. While everybody was trying to figure out what happened, and probably paying attention to the BIL's reaction to finding TB, he could just slip out the gate (or wherever it was he exited the campground). MOO

Some excerpts from article in regards to California new 2018 restrictions/laws for " California’s more than 6 million gun owners re: ammunition: New gun restrictions are coming to California in 2018. Here’s what they mean to you
Can I buy ammunition online or from a catalog?
Yes, but you can’t ship it to your home any more starting Jan. 1. You can still buy online or from a catalog, but you now have to ship ammunition first to a licensed vendor who can charge you a processing fee.
IMO, LE could be withholding info to first check with licensed vendors and gun owner ordering of ammunition. Maybe it was lead-free, so could narrow search?

Here are California Gun Laws but sadly some 2018 laws did not go into effect until July 1, 2018: Bureau of Firearms

The ammunition used to kill victim could have been bought prior to 2018 among other things.

Also, it's only 10 minute drive from MCSP campground to Peppardine Univerity, so less than 10 minutes to drive out of Malibu Creek State Park in general, and there is a one way exit out of campground 24 hours a day even though gate into campground closes at 10pm.

It would be interesting to hear from the Camp Host. Since she seems to sleep onsite I wonder for how long she has worked there now and whether she could give some information about shots heard in the area in general. I don't think she has been interviewed by MSM?

“The coroner’s report of Beaudette’s murder has been sealed at the request of homicide detectives and my sources tell me one of the reasons could be because the caliber of bullet used.” Excerpt from the article linked below.

What is the importance of withholding information on the caliber of bullet?

UPDATE: Shootings Continue in Malibu Canyon Keeping Law Enforcement Busy - The Local Malibu

Sometimes people will false confess. Knowing the caliber helps rule those people out.

Sometimes people will actually confess or inadvertently give info. If they know the caliber that helps LE to know they likely have the right person.

They could easily redact that info. There’s definitely something more going on here.

It's about protecting the integrity of the investigation. They don't want any info out.

I think this trail is probably the Tapia Spur Trail
Tapia Spur Trail - Trails - Los Angeles County

Google Maps

Yeah that's it.

Allow me to present some thoughts revolving around a hypothetical scenario of a person with a sociopathic personality disorder who comes from a family of significant wealth and status.
The family can afford the highest level of private psychological therapy available, which may have helped to moderate the subject's hostile tendencies - yet cannot halt the inevitable progression towards destructive acts coded into the warped personality.
The parents take a predictable stance which is to remain concerned, protective and hopeful in regards to their now adult age "black sheep" offspring.
They can afford to house the subject nearby and accessible in distance, yet also effectively isolated from contact with normal family activities and normal community interaction, because inclusion always leads to stressful and potentialy violent confrontations and social embarrassment.
The parents stewardship also involves a significant element of protecting the subject from suffering the normal consequences of his own actions, because those punishments cannot deter his pathological tendencies.
Wealth, status and influence tend to go hand-in-hand in most places, Malibu/Callabassas/Los Angeles certainly no exception.
Consider the 1999 incident involving 19 year old Scott Sterling and his 19 yr.old friend Philip Sheid.
Sterling was the the youngest child of billionaire Donald and Shelley Sterling.
Sterling and Scheid had an altercation over their rivalry for the affections of a young actress which led to Sterling injuring Scheid with a shotgun blast as he fled down the driveway of Sterling's Beverly Hill's mansion.
Although police investigators recommended Scott Sterling be charged with attempted murder, no charges whatsoever were ever filed.
Many observers attribute this to his father Donald Sterling's exertion of influence within the local law enforcement, political, and district attorney establishment. In addition, Sterling had the financial means to compensate the injured friend for a very satisfactory, undisclosed sum.
Scott Sterling eventually succumbed to a drug overdose at age 31 in the Malibu beach home his parents had provided for him.
Obviously, wealth can have significant impact to shield or exempt one from normal consequences of criminal conduct. However, that power is not absolute. Scott Sterling injured Scheid with a shotgun, but he did not kill or permanently disable his friend.
Family wealth cannot shield the perpetrator of Mr. Beaudette's murder from an eventual reckoning with the machinery of our criminal justice system. However, if that was the same person responsible for the other shooting incidents under consideration for the MCSP and environs - then wealth and status could have worked to diffuse a potential investigation by the local sheriffs substation. It could have worked to scuttle a misdemeanor arrest or criminal complaint from becoming a written report on the record and instead have it take the form of an off-the-record courtesy "warning".
If that turns out to be an accurate reflection of circumstances preceding the Beaudette shooting, then it introduces layers of complexity on to the task of resolving this crime of murder in MCSP.
Because the situation already includes a community which feels resentful that the Sheriff was negligent in issuing warnings about the safety situation. That level of anger will rise considerably if its revealed that one or more of the prior incidents was given a pass.
But in the case where the perpetrator is a "black sheep" shielded by wealthy family resources, as opposed to someone of average means, the necessity becomes greater than ever to revisit and correct the handling of the prior incidents. And that would probably involve admission by the Sheriff of subpar and unacceptable conduct by personnel at Malibu/Lost Hills Station. It would probably involve reprimand, discipline or firing of at least one or more sheriff personnel.
Ultimately, any failure by a sheriff deputy is a failure by the man at the top of the organization. I make that note so we can examine another layer of complexity draped over this investigation.
Less than 3 weeks prior to the shooting death at MCSP, a primary election was held in California.
The biggest surprise in Los Angeles County was that incumbent Sheriff Jim McDonnell failed to garner more than 50% of votes in a race against two underfunded and relatively unknown challengers.
Sheriff McDonnell was forced into a November 2018 run-off to hold his position as Sheriff for the next 4 years.
Although Mr. Beaudette's murder is only one of many that will be recorded across the width and breadth of Los Angeles County, the political repercussions for Sheriff McDonnell amplify at logarithmically greater levels than the rest.
Dissatisfaction with Sheriff McDonnell's prior record of leadership is mildest in the wealthier suburban communities such as Malibu and Calabassas.
Confidence in McDonnell's capability has been greatest among highly educated and upper middle class professionals who can identify themselves with the lifestyle of Tristan Beaudette.
Progress in handling this investigation is going to be crucial for Sheriff McDonnell to retain the support of voters from the named demographics. But making that progress may entail an admission of past failures.
While there is relative silence coming out of Sheriff HeadQuarters regarding the MCSP shooting investigation, in my opinion - the activity related to navigating the investigation and its presentation to the public is going on behind closed doors at unprecedented levels.

View attachment 138641
View attachment 138643
View attachment 138642

I don't understand how a shot could have come from #3 or #4, since the trees are in the way and both tents were hunkered into trees.

Perhaps the most likely scenario is #5: the shooter was in site(s) #49-#51.

Also, a shot could have come from site #50.

I'm not really sure why this is a sticking point. Yes, there are trees in the park and of course in the campground - but right behind those trees is rock, sand etc. I worked in the park; I'm not sure why this has to be re-hashed. For the last time I'll say that yes, there were trees - but it is not considered 'forest'. Look at the map; it's not green! If you want to believe it was really forested, go ahead.

I posted photos in order to provide clarification for this statement:

Yes, there are some live oak trees - but not thickets or anything dense......

I couldn't find a post where anyone claimed there was forest.

I'm unclear why annoyance is called for.

It would be interesting to hear from the Camp Host. Since she seems to sleep onsite I wonder for how long she has worked there now and whether she could give some information about shots heard in the area in general. I don't think she has been interviewed by MSM?

In my experience, a "camp host" is usually a couple, often full-time RV-ers with ALOT of campground experience. A couple of times I've had a single male host, but never a single woman (I've slept maybe 500 nights in public campgrounds.)

And yes, the campground host ALWAYS sleeps on site. That's part of the gig. The host(s) get the spot in return for duties. That way they don't have to pay rent or keep a house for those months.

Although the camp host spot may be at the opposite end of the campground, IMO you are correct in thinking that the camp host is likely to have germane information.

For starters, s/he/they often get up super early because they have to match camp spot info with registrations, payments, etc. At a campground like this one, you'd have to pay extra for extra cars. The crack of dawn is a good time to check.

A good host will also drive through the campground loops several times in the evening scoping things out.

It's possible the campground host even conferred with police sometime earlier in the evening about something they'd noticed or that had been reported by campers. (We don't, in fact, know if the cops were there earlier.) For instance, they could have reported "fire crackers." With the Park as dry as it is, that would have been definite cause for a police call.

Hopefully, this was one of the many great campground host(s) I've come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member