CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
4.30a-4.45a isn't really that early in that area. It might be dark (the roads there are well-lit) but it was a Friday morning and the commute starts early in SoCal. Las Virgenes Road goes from the 101 Freeway to the PCH, Mulholland runs east-west across the ridges and connects to other thoroughfares.

Everyone is looking for the least-stressful route to work. At tech companies in Santa Monica or Playa, people adjust their hours to very odd times to avoid peak commuter hell. You'll find people who will go in at 3.30a if it means they can be out in the early afternoon because it has a very direct impact on your quality of life.

People get up at that hour to run or workout or, depending on tides, surf. I'm a horse person and in that area, there are a lot of small private horse properties at which people tend to be early risers.

The Starbucks in Calabasas, 3.8 miles away from the campground, opens at 4.30a. The Starbucks at Cross Creek, on PCH just south of Las Virgenes, also opens at 4.30a.

Thank you for that information.

Similar places around New England normally open around 7; the early Dunkin Donuts by the highway says it opens at 5:30 but you don't want to count on it until about 5:45. We frequently leave very early for hiking, and most of the time we get coffee an hour or two down the road because there just isn't anything open. So knowing that people are up and around at that hour alters my perspective on the situation.

Thank you for that information.

Similar places around New England normally open around 7; the early Dunkin Donuts by the highway says it opens at 5:30 but you don't want to count on it until about 5:45. We frequently leave very early for hiking, and most of the time we get coffee an hour or two down the road because there just isn't anything open. So knowing that people are up and around at that hour alters my perspective on the situation.
Amen.

“It appears as though that’s a new location for body dumps. It happens quite a bit in the Angeles National Forest, but for some reason it appears as though (this gang) has changed locations as far a dumping ground,” Shonka said. “We don’t know if (their deaths) are related.”

Shonka rejected the notion that the dumping of the two bodies might be connected to the killing of Tristan Beaudette while he slept with his two young daughters in a tent at Malibu Creek State Park in June.

“Absolutely not,” the detective said.

Malibu Canyon bodies are gang-related, sheriff says

A column this week from the Chico (CA) Enterprise-Record:

Recent shooting puts spotlight on safety in state parks

Stopping short of actually admitting it has a safety problem, the Parks Department now says a budget increase it just received will allow expansion of its force to more than 600 peace officer rangers by the end of the fiscal year next summer.

There's also some interesting discussion of the role of volunteer camp hosts and their limitations.

Nice to see the Reporter is on this. That publication does very good investigative journalism.

However, the article doesn't go into the current state of affairs surrounding the Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department. Granted, this is a very large LE agency with a mind-boggling sprawl of jurisdiction, but even so, recent events have only added to the pileup of scandals that have put the current sheriff, Jim McDonnell, in danger of losing the upcoming election.

McDonnell failed to win outright re-election in the spring election, necessitating a run-off with the second-placed candidate, who's Latino and running as a reform candidate. At this point in time, it's easy to see how the current sheriff would be trying to keep a tight lid on any further scandals or failures.

Here's just a few of the most recent LA Sheriffs in Trouble stories:

Veteran LA Deputy Sheriff pleads guilty to federal drug conspiracy charge

Read how an LA sheriff's deputy was caught using taco sauce as fake blood in an assault case

This LA sheriff's deputy was a pariah in federal court. But his secrets were safe with the state.

LA county sheriff announces inquiry into secret societies of deputies and their matching tattoos

This is all just within the last month and typical of this agency.

This week, the LA deputies union endorsed the challenger candidate rather than the incumbent sheriff McDonnell.

Obviously this is a serious case of LE in disarray and it's hard to believe that under McDonnell's regime, there's not going to be a push for Good Publicity Only until November.

At the Malibu/Lost Hills station, violent crime is up significantly over last year and in the first six months of 2018, there were four homicides v zero homicides in 2017. But even so, my visits to the LASD station and to Malibu Creek State Park made it clear that the various LE agencies aren't communicating especially well and you wonder how many incidents haven't made it into the database.

I'm just picking up on this statement from the article linked above about Mitrice Richardson now.

Curioser and curioser.

Malibu Murder Mystery: "Everyone’s Freaking Out" Over Unsolved Killings, Bodies Dumped, Police Questions

A source says that officers are also 
exploring whether one of these persons of 
interest can be tied to one of Calabasas' most notorious unsolved crimes: the death of Mitrice Richardson, a 24-year-old who went missing in 2009. Richardson, who was visiting the area from Covina, was briefly detained at the Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff's Station by deputies for skipping out on a 
bill at a local eatery. She was released just after midnight without her purse or her phone (which were still in her impounded vehicle) or any form of transportation. 
She went missing, and 11 months later, her 
remains were discovered near a creek 
seven miles from the station. Sheriffs came under intense criticism for their handling 
of her disappearance, prompting an investigation by then-California Attorney General Kamala Harris, who later cleared the department of any wrongdoing. Dunn declined 
to comment.

And the Acorn has more on the body dumps:

Gang dumps bodies in Malibu Canyon

There's this update on the reward:

The Calabasas City Council is adding $5,000 to the reward money for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for murdering Beaudette, a 35-year-old Irvine man.

The total reward is now $35,000. The city of Malibu has offered $5,000, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is giving $10,000 and the Allergan pharmaceutical company, Beaudette’s Orange County employer, has offered $15,000.

And this note on public safety:

In light of the recent Malibu Canyon murders, state Sen. Henry Stern (D-Calabasas) will join members of the Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station, the California Highway Patrol and the California Department of Parks and Recreation at King Gillette Ranch Aug. 19 to address the issue of safety in the local Santa Monica Mountains. The session will run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at King Gillette, 26800 Mulholland Highway, just south of Calabasas.

When we spoke to the park superintendent two weeks ago, he said that there were usually 'one or two' body dumps per year on the stretch of Las Virgenes Road between the park and the Hindu temple.

Also interesting that CHP is involved in this safety discussion. As explained here, Malibu's association with CHP ended in 1991 when LASD took over traffic and LE. However, that's been contentious for years, with locals claiming Pacific Coast Highway is far more dangerous now and public activist groups forming to bring back CHP. As the linked article notes, the city was supposed to pursue reinstating CHP in 2010; it seems like that never happened. I did see something about it when I was there - a flyer or local freebie paper that said Malibu needed to bring back CHP to make PCH safe. Again, another potential turf battle with LE agencies that perhaps do not communicate or want to communicate in the interest of public safety.

Last edited:
Good find passepartout. It's been a while since that happened but can't be ruled out that there is a connection to this event. I wonder when the two investigations closed and what the outcome was?

No idea of the outcome.

I wanted to find out more about what goes on in the area. This is something you see quite often in these communities where 'these things never happen' - you scratch the surface and you see exactly what does happen, which is rarely 'never' and usually quite eye-popping.

Like when I went to the Lost Hills LASD and asked about incidents in the area. The deputy said someone was shot and killed in his tent while camping but that was it. She actually told us there were no other incidents. We re-asked the question several different ways before she admitted that someone was shooting 'sporadically' at vehicles.

It's a culture of denial versus a culture of safety. You wave it away, it doesn't happen here. Every incident - whether it's Mitrice Richardson or Tristan Beaudette or MT - is a one-off 'freak' occurrence without connections to other incidents. But it's the culture of denial that prevents dots from being connected, from patterns being recognized and from even the most basic information being given to the public.

This first public forum is August 19. That's eight weeks after the murder of Tristan Beaudette. Eight weeks. During those eight weeks, despite the promises of investigations and increased patrols, there've been more reports of gunshots and another body dump in the area. And apparently the only place that has a flyer posted about the reward/info is the Hindu temple.

(This map is a good resource for recent Malibu incidents.)

<mod changed full name to initials>

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea of the outcome.

I wanted to find out more about what goes on in the area. This is something you see quite often in these communities where 'these things never happen' - you scratch the surface and you see exactly what does happen, which is rarely 'never' and usually quite eye-popping.

Like when I went to the Lost Hills LASD and asked about incidents in the area. The deputy said someone was shot and killed in his tent while camping but that was it. She actually told us there were no other incidents. We re-asked the question several different ways before she admitted that someone was shooting 'sporadically' at vehicles.

It's a culture of denial versus a culture of safety. You wave it away, it doesn't happen here. Every incident - whether it's Mitrice Richardson or Tristan Beaudette or MT - is a one-off 'freak' occurrence without connections to other incidents. But it's the culture of denial that prevents dots from being connected, from patterns being recognized and from even the most basic information being given to the public.

This first public forum is August 19. That's eight weeks after the murder of Tristan Beaudette. Eight weeks. During those eight weeks, despite the promises of investigations and increased patrols, there've been more reports of gunshots and another body dump in the area. And apparently the only place that has a flyer posted about the reward/info is the Hindu temple.

(This map is a good resource for recent Malibu incidents.)

I think that is a very accurate description of what is going on. I remember both MT and the biologist reported that they felt they weren't being taken seriously and specifically MT remarked that whoever responded to her car said 'this doesn't happen here'. Source for MT statement here: UPDATE: Shootings Continue in Malibu Canyon Keeping Law Enforcement Busy - The Local MalibuIt is very unfortunate that it had to come to this first and considering how slow moving everything is even now I would consider the area very dangerous even during the daytime. Just because it happened at night doesn't mean it can't happen during the day. Let's face it..before TB's death cars have been shot at but nobody died (with the exemption of the article you just mentioned earlier today) but as we saw that changed.

Regarding the ranger incident you mentioned I found this Victim compensation request (2 of them for the same victim it looks like) and both seemed to have been rejected.
https://victims.ca.gov/docs/meetings/2008/03/20-GCPAgenda.pdf

<mod changed name to initials>

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a photo of the LE panel at the safety meeting today.

I really hope there'll be some actual useful information that comes out of this and not just nodding heads saying things like 'We can't comment on that becauset would compromise the integrity of our investigation.' Or 'I don't have that information at this time.'

The story hasn't gone away because people - locals, people who drive on those roads, hikers, etc - want and deserve answers.

The Local has a short summary post on the meeting and promises a longer write up tomorrow.

Fox News LA: Community meeting held to address recent shooting at Malibu Creek State Park (video)

Looks like a good turnout at the meeting but I keep hearing from friends in LA that people who live in the communities near the park are really concerned and have curtailed their activities significantly in terms of using park land or driving at night.

It's worth noting that the communities around the park like in Monte Nido or Malibu Canyon are not like beach-side Malibu people. A lot of residents have horse/ranch properties and are more like rugged country people than posh city types. You'll find cowboy types, endurance riders and mountain bikers. These aren't people who lose it when they hear a firecracker. They know the difference between a plinker and someone firing a gun in a more dangerous way. And if they're worried about the shootings in their area, it's because they know it's serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert