GUILTY CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, died, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #3

I guess it depends upon what they mean by survivalist. If they mean someone who is living in the woods, totally off the grid, surviving by the seat of their pants, and stealing from campers or breaking and entering---then I'd say yes, that is one kind of a survivalist. One that is the most basic, simplest, most poverty stricken kind?

<modsnipped>There are videos of the transient, armed burglar. There are very recent reports of people being harassed by him in the woods. And today, a Tapia State Park employee called 911 to report an aggressive stranger with a backpack that intimidated him.

<modsnipped> Or was it maybe pulled together because of recent incidents and recent sightings?

<modsnipped response to removed content>

In any event, some dude wandering around in the middle of the night, in all black, in mountain lion country? He was wandering around during their feeding time.

To me that screams "crazy".

It's really fabulous they caught this suspect so quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. But cant they also shoot the rifle and compare the strathings on the bullets from the murder to the bullets coming from the rifle, to see if it is the specific rifle that shot the camper?

For sure.

To me the likelihood that this is their guy is high.

I'm betting he also had a cache of other firearms.

<modsnipped quoted post>
<modsnipped response to quoted post>

In any event, some dude wandering around in the middle of the night, in all black, in mountain lion country? He was wandering around during their feeding time.

This is not a very accurate perception of the Santa Monica Mountains. Mountain lions are few and far between; attacks are exceedingly rare. I never saw one in the 20 years I lived at the base of the mountains. I did see deer, coyotes, bobcats, grey fox, rattlesnakes, tarantulas and scorpions. I hiked, camped, rode horses all over the Santa Monicas for 20 years, many of those excursions being solo excursions. IMO, it's a relatively safe area for this in terms of potential wildlife encounters. You don't worry about mountain lions.

It's really fabulous they caught this suspect so quickly.

The incidents attributed to this individual started in 2016 and continued to the present. Not sure if this would meet the definition of 'quickly'.

<modsnipped>

This is not a very accurate perception of the Santa Monica Mountains. Mountain lions are few and far between; attacks are exceedingly rare. I never saw one in the 20 years I lived at the base of the mountains. I did see deer, coyotes, bobcats, grey fox, rattlesnakes, tarantulas and scorpions. I hiked, camped, rode horses all over the Santa Monicas for 20 years, many of those excursions being solo excursions. IMO, it's a relatively safe area for this in terms of potential wildlife encounters. You don't worry about mountain lions.

The incidents attributed to this individual started in 2016 and continued to the present. Not sure if this would meet the definition of 'quickly'.

<modsnipped> I'm sure it must feel different being right there. Much more immediate and terrifying. I have the benefit of some distance being an Orange County resident but I've lived here my whole life and have enjoyed hiking all over SoCal for decades.

Mountain lion attacks indeed are rare. But few spend hours traipsing around their terriritory, alone, at night, during mountain lion feeding times. And few in California would.

It has been a very short time from the time they discovered an armed burglar was burglarizing buildings in the same area that there have been several shootings. In fact, it's been mere days (10-4-18).

Since the time TB was shot and killed the investigation has been intense, whether us armchair investigators believe so or not, and in comparison with other cases of random shooters, which @margarita25 can tell you can take years and years to solve, it looks like they've made excellent progress.

I'm sure there's a lot of political feeling. But this is not just the Lost Hills substation. This has been an investigation involving several agencies.

The Lost Hills Substation linked recent burglaries that have occurred in the last three months, to one person. That's pretty impressive.

Then, after the burglary on 10-4-18 in which the burglar was seen in surveillance armed with a rifle, the Major Crimes Bureau, Metro Detail, took over the case.

They began a concerted search for evidence and for the suspect, with personnel from their bureau, from the Lost Hills station, from the LASD Aero Bureau and Malibu Search and Rescue. And he was found and arrested within just seven days of the initial investigation into the 10-4-18 burglary in which it was determined he was armed.

They now state that similar burglaries within the last two years MAY be linked.

And of course he may be linked to the killing of TB and other random shootings in the area in the last couple years.

I find this to be very solid, praiseworthy work. <modsnipped>

This is great stuff, IMO. And I think the chances of this leading to something much bigger are excellent.

To me it looks like there was a crazy, armed, criminal living in the park whose behavior has escalated over the years, and likely culminated in murder.

It's very fortunate they were able to arrest this guy without a shoot out. The deputies were taking their lives in their hands during the manhunt, which bloggers and online detectives perhaps can't appreciate.

They likely blanked out his face because they can't yet link him to the more serious crimes, and if he turned out to be just a burglar with a toy rifle, his life could be ruined by his face being splashed across all the media.

<modsnipped political -off topic>

<modsnipped LE bashing which is against TOS>

Mountain lion attacks indeed are rare. But few spend hours traipsing around their terriritory, alone, at night, during mountain lion feeding times. And few in California would.

Well then I guess I'm one of those few and know those few. The group of lions in this large area is IIRC about a dozen, mostly female and rather inbred due to the constraints of the freeways. Your chances of encountering one aren't very good. I never gave a thought to these creatures nor did anyone else I know. (I did live in a part of Canada where lions and especially bears were a concern - I did not go anywhere solo there and was always on the lookout for the bears.)

<modsnipped quoted post>

<modsnipped response to removed content> Looks like they worked hard and smart for the most part since TB's murder and they have arrested a likely suspect within less than four months.

That's incredible in terms of these cases, some of which aren't solved in years or ever.

As to lions, it absolutely true that the chance of an encounter is rare. In the day.

I've been hiking for a couple decades. I saw one only once.

They are definitely in our hills and for the most part I think most people wandering around alone in the dark in areas where there are mountain lions are likely a bit crazy.

The young man who owns this YouTube channel is not a wild life biologist of any kind. Just a young guy with an instinct and his channel shows how easy it is to encounter lions in the LA area:

But to each his own. That's my feeling. I'm sure there are some who don't feel the way I do who also aren't crazy! But to me it's just another factor - including living in the campground illegally, his criminal record, burglarizing and carrying a gun while doing so- that indicates to me they caught themselves a live one.

Break ins by an armed intruder in an areas where there's been random shootings and a murder isn't what I'd call minor.

Has there been more than one break-in in which the perp was seen with a rifle? If so, do you know which ones?

Break ins by an armed intruder in an areas where there's been random shootings and a murder isn't what I'd call minor.

<modsnipped>

And I think it's obvious they believe this guy is good for TB. Or he wouldn't be there.

I truly believe every single one of us wants HIM to be the man guilty of TB’s murder as well as the random shootings that have plagued Malibu over the last 2 years. However, looking at the photos, I am a bit skeptical as he does seem to have well styled hair vs scraggly and to be on the pudgier side vs slender build and does not look like a survivalist type - Ted Kaczynski - JMO.

I truly believe every single one of us wants HIM to be the man guilty of TB’s murder as well as the random shootings that have plagued Malibu over the last 2 years. However, looking at the photos, I am a bit skeptical as he does seem to have well styled hair vs scraggly and to be on the pudgier side vs slender build and does not look like a survivalist type - Ted Kaczynski - JMO.

Where did that description come from? Thanks in advance!!

You can not go by looks- Ted Bundy

<modsnipped quoted post and response to content> No doubt. But I don't know if it has a pattern of botched investigations.

I haven't heard anything to suggest that.

And so far it seems they've worked well with this.

This cat seems like a good suspect.

More info about the arrested suspect
Calabasas burglary suspect described by family member as reclusive
A close family member said the 42-year-old Rauda had lived in the Hills for 10 years. He was afraid of people, the family member said.

"He doesn't talk to people a lot. He is a loner," the family member said. "He just likes to be alone."

"When he was arrested in the jail when I went to visit him, he was all bruised up," the family member added. "He said he got jumped."

Deputies found no tactical gear in the items they seized.

The family member says deputies had Rauda in custody about four months ago for trespassing, but he was released before anyone could go see him.

Online records suggest his most recent address was a condo in Canoga Park.

That address dates back to 2012, however, and officials speculate he could have been homeless
Finally, A Suspect In The Malibu Creek Mystery
McDonnell also said there's evidence to indicate that Rauda is tied to the shootings, including the killing of 35-year-old Tristan Beaudette, who was shot and killed in his tent while camping with his daughters in Malibu Creek State Park.
Sounds like they have evidence against him in TB's case.

If Rauda was in custody 'about four months ago', that would mean he was in custody in June. The Tesla was shot at on 18 June. TB was killed on 22 June.

I wonder when he was in custody.
He was apparently arrested for trespassing, but released before family could visit. I think the custody would have been just a few hours for such a minor issue, probably didn't go through the courts, and was just a way to give him a warning and get him to stay away from wherever he'd been hanging out.

He was apparently arrested for trespassing, but released before family could visit. I think the custody would have been just a few hours for such a minor issue, probably didn't go through the courts, and was just a way to give him a warning and get him to stay away from wherever he'd been hanging out.
I think someone arrested for trespassing are generally kept over night (but may vary from state to state and depend on prior infractions). Anyway, if Rauda was incarcerated the night of TB's shooting, that would eliminate him as a suspect, but it seems LE are looking at him very closely as the culprit. So, the question is whether he was incarcerated on the trespassing charge before or after TB's murder. Was he just firing potshots prior to the arrest, then he was angry about the arrest and so he took his angst out on an innocent camper? Maybe he wanted the campground to be closed because if he couldn't stay there, he didn't want anyone else to stay there either. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back