CA CA - Newark "Mowry Ave Jane Doe" WhtFem UP53306 <40, Oct 85

Melt71

Reaction score
I couldn't see an existing thread for this new DNA Doe Project case "Mowry Ave Jane Doe" UP53306 currently 'at lab for extraction' www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/53306?nav

Female, White / Caucasian
Date Body Found October 24, 1985
Location Found Newark, California
Case Numbers
ME/C Case Number 1985-2175
Demographics
Sex Female
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 40
Height 5' 6"-5' 8"(66-68 inches) , Estimated
Weight Cannot Estimate
Circumstances
Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found October 24, 1985
NamUs Case Created November 6, 2018
Location Found Map
Location Newark, California
County Alameda County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Circumstances of Recovery Female found off of Mowry Avenue in Newark
Details of Recovery
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Red-brown or reddish brown hair

Clothing and Accessories
(No Images in Namus of any of these items).

Accessories - 2 yellow plastic barrettes On the Body
Jewelry - White metal ring with a pink stone surrounded by small white stones - On the Body
Jewelry - White metal ring with the number "69" present on both sides of the band- On the Body
Jewelry - Timex wristwatch with black strap - On the Body
Jewelry - Red/orange glass type earrings red lower design with metal framework. "Dangling" type earrings - On the Body

The ring with '69' on it is intriguing. I wonder if it might be the horoscope symbol for Cancers, which looks a bit like the number 69. If it's definitely a 69, that could indicate she was born in 1969, which would make her only 16. Or maybe she had a child born in 1969? Which would put her more in the 32-40 range (assuming they're right that she's under 40). If it's a graduation ring, that would make her... 32-34 ish? I don't know what age Americans graduate.

Let's hope for a swift DDP identification.

Update from DDP:

DNA Doe Project Case Announcement: Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe - Newark, CA (1985)

Who was Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe?
On October 24, 1985 the remains of an unidentified white female were discovered in a field next to Mowry Avenue, Newark, California. The remains consisted of a nearly complete skeleton with some reddish brown hair and scalp. The victim had been shot and had died approximately six months prior to being found.

Forensic anthropologists determined the woman was an adult between the ages of 30 and 36 years old who stood 5’6” to 5’8” tall. Among the items found with her were barrettes, a watch, and earrings. In addition, the victim had a ring on her left ring finger and one on her left pinkie finger.

NamUs ID: UP53306
Date Body Found: October 24, 1985
Race: White/Caucasian
Estimated Age: 30-36
Estimated PMI: years

Anyone who believes they have relevant information on this case should contact authorities directly:

Newark Police Department
Todd Nobbe, Detective
510-578-4937
todd.nobbe@newark.org

Links to More Information:
https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/53306
https://dnadoeproject.org/case/mowry-wetlands-jane-doe/

Many thanks to our thoughtful supporters for their continued support and interest in the DNA Doe Project. As always, we ask that commenters remain respectful to our Does and their families.
Please continue to advocate for transfers to FTDNA and gedmatch.com opt-IN.

For more information on the DNA Doe Project and our other cases, visit our website: http://dnadoeproject.org/

#DNADoeProject #JaneDoe1985 #MowryWetlandsJaneDoe #Newark #AlamedaCounty #California #GEDmatchOptIn #OptIn

I hope they can make a sketch soon. Maybe someone will recognize her. Does anyone have access to newspapers subscription, maybe there’s an article? Perhaps they published who was missing at the time.

odd that the NamUS page was created in 2018 but no photos were included.

MowryWetlandsJaneDoe_web.jpg

New sketch via DDP by Kim Parkhurst.
(Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe - DNA Doe Project Cases)

She's now on DDP's spreadsheet with a top match of 177cM. That's a pretty good match. Half second cousin, second cousin once removed, half first cousin twice removed, first cousin three times removed, second cousin, half first cousin once removed, half great great niece/nephew. That sort of range. She has 8 matches above 40cM. Hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer before she has her name back!

Her FTDNA highest match has been updated on DDP's spreadsheet - 485.7. That's huge! A very close match, like a 1st cousin once removed. Hopefully we'll hear of her identification soon.
That’s great! Should be a really quick solve. My half 1st cousin is in that range. Our mothers are maternal half sisters.

I hope you guys can explain this. I know you'll laugh because I feel like I should know this. What does a first cousin once removed mean exactly?

I hear 1st cousin twice removed too.
Does the twice removed mean it is one of my parents cousins or grandparents cousins? Please enlighten me !!

I hope you guys can explain this. I know you'll laugh because I feel like I should know this. What does a first cousin once removed mean exactly?

I hear 1st cousin twice removed too.
Does the twice removed mean it is one of my parents cousins or grandparents cousins? Please enlighten me !!

No, I definitely won't laugh because I just learned this myself a few months ago! I'm attaching a chart to help explain - 1c1r is the child of a first cousin.

Attachments

• 162960BE-7FDE-4A80-A0CA-30892D6AFCFF.png
    162960BE-7FDE-4A80-A0CA-30892D6AFCFF.png
    321.8 KB · Views: 57

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members