Match! CA - North Highlands, WhtMale 1137UMCA, 30-50, in orchard, May'80 *Joaquin Moreno*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Romulus, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator Moderator

KaylaraOwl,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your life to help a person you never met.

You and the rest of the members of Websleuths who work on cases like this one are the unsung heroes.

You all never give up. You are what Websleuths is all about.

Can't thank you enough.

Tricia

2. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator Moderator

By the way, the article has removed his line:

“I’m grateful to Websleuths, along with the coroners and detectives who helped me work on finding my father,” Hector Islas said. “I think they’re superheroes of sorts for the missing and the unidentified.”

Which is too bad because this shows people that Websleuths can make a difference. I have no idea why they removed this particular line. My guess it had to do with space.

3. shadowdancer

shadowdancer Well-Known Member

Well done to KaylaraOwl for helping to send this man home to his family.

4. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

:loveyou: KaylaraOwl
    No one can take this away from Websleuths. Great Teams are found among these forums. This is but one example of the work we tackle with the goal to succeed. So, cool to have answers to that gnawing question about birthrights for this gentleman whose father was a missing person. It is done. That is the reward of the work.

After 36 years, son finds out what happened to his missing father

whatsnext likes this.
  5. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

Treats for everyone are on me !
    :cupcake: :toastred: :cupcake:

Thank you, Forager. I've admired your work on other cases as well. Same goes for our dear departed SAR friend, Glenn, username FoxFire. I visited a thread where FoxFire had posted last and could not bear to write under his words. This should and does feel rewarding. Jolly good work. FoxFire would be pleased, too.

6. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

Congrats KaylaraOwl! Looks like this match wouldn't have happened yet had you not listed it here. Once you do that, it's fair game for others to call in.
    Word of advice, if you have a very promising match, you may want to leave NamUs out, especially if it's one of the RSA's that don't answer you or add them to the loop by saying you turned it in and to whom. I'm pretty disgusted with them. It's very unprofessional that the reps don't answer because they're supposed to be public friendly.

I turned in Kerry Graham and Francine Trimble (who was listed in part to me) to Todd and Carrie, Carrie did not answer my 1st one, then implied she didn't think there was a match but said she passed it on. My friend ended up calling it in, by that time they'd already matched on dentals. I'm still not sure if Carrie ever did pass it on and to who because she refused to answer me.

7. verbonica

verbonica Well-Known Member

Well, this article has the recognition for WebSleuths:

"In January of 2016, Websleuths.com members were able to identify a connection between Joaquin’s missing persons information on the coroner’s website with the content on the NAMPN website. After discovering the discussion on Websleuths.com, Hector contacted the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office."

http://www.abc10.com/news/local/lon...-after-family-searched-for-36-years/395919092

Great Work here!

8. Forager

Forager Member

Thank you for that! It feels good to have been part of something productive like this, and does the ego good to have it noticed. I do hope that Kaylaraow has gotten word of her match.

And I do miss Foxfire. I'd gotten to meet him a couple of times. Warm, engaging, fascinated by everything, and always ready to tell you more on any subject. I'm sure that he would have nodded knowingly at the delays in identifying Moreno, and launched into an enthusiastic discussion of how valuable public involvement can be.

whatsnext likes this.
  9. aThousandYearsWide

aThousandYearsWide Well-Known Member

The Doe Network mentions your WS name in its closed section. I was like I know that name!
    http://www.doenetwork.org/closedmain.php

10. KaylaraOwl

KaylaraOwl TDTF & TCC Volunteer!

:) I contacted them when he was identified because I wanted to make sure that websleuths, doe network, and namus all got credit for since with out all those groups working on this case, the information wouldn't have been out there to be found. :)

11. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Remembering Cupcake

http://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...ame-to-the-nameless-through-art/103-513616840

12. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Well-Known Member

Very good KaylaraOwl. Thanks for caring, wonderful eyes and soul you have. RIP Mr. Moreno.

13. folieadeuxnola

folieadeuxnola Miami-Dade Jane Doe - 1979

Forensic science has toolkit for identifying the unknown dead

http://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...or-identifying-the-unknown-dead/103-536750459

Suglo likes this.