CA- OC doctor identified as bicyclist struck by vehicle, stabbed to death by driver in Dana Point

Story plus photos:

Updated February 2, 2023

"A bizarre and violent incident is under investigation after Southern California authorities say a bicyclist died after being hit from behind while riding on Pacific Coast Highway in the Dana Point area, then attacked by the driver that hit them.

According to the Orange County Sheriff's Department, the cyclist – later identified as 58-year-old Michael Mammone – was hit from behind by a white Lexus, and after the crash, the driver of the Lexus got out of the car and assaulted the cyclist with a knife.

Witnesses said the suspect struck the bicyclist and proceeded to stab the victim at least once in the back. The suspect then allegedly pulled out a gun and fired multiple rounds before he was disarmed by two passersby.

The suspect, later identified by authorities as Vanroy Evan Smith, 39, of Long Beach, was detained by bystanders and then taken into custody where he was booked on suspicion of murder."

from the local ABC affiliate:

Video shows car strike bicyclist at Dana Point intersection before alleged assault; victim ID'd

ABC7 spoke with a neighbor who declined to be interviewed on camera. She said her family heard what sounded like a "gunshot" before the attack. When they ran outside, she said, they heard the suspect uttering racial slurs about "white privilege."

A spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department said investigators had not been told of that allegation.

"As of right now, no known relationship" between the victim and suspect, "and no known motive," sheriff's Sgt. Michael Woodruff said in an interview.

I just read this story on the Daily Mail.
I cannot fathom the rage that one must have to mow down and then violently attack and kill an injured person that you don't even know! And as witness stated to blame it on race is horrifying.

ETA link

Just a few days before the tragic incident, police were called to conduct a wellness check on Smith’s ex-wife over “something involving Mr. Smith,” his former father-in-law Stanley Hart told The Post Friday.

Hart said his former son-in-law was a well-mannered young man but had a history of “issues.”

“It wasn’t like I didn’t believe it, but I never could’ve imagined this,” Hart told The Post.

“He has some issues, that’s all I can say. If the authorities do their due diligence, they will probably determine pretty quickly what those issues are.

Reactions: nao

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back