CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a quote from French family lawyer Dale Galipo.

So Galipo hasn't viewed any video of the shooting yet.

PICTURED: Cop who killed unarmed nonverbal man in Costco - and dead man's mom may not survive | Daily Mail Online
What I find interesting from this report is that Kenneth supposedly developed his mental condition about 10 years ago. Until then he wasn't apparently just normal but actually considered gifted. So that means he was 22 when his symptoms started to show. Seems about the right age for schizophrenia (a condition suggested by some relatives he might have had) and too late for autism. Unless there is an adult onset autism. Hopefully when parents recover we will find out what condition he actually had.

MOD NOTE:

Posts that discuss other cases unrelated to the topic of this thread will be removed. They are considered off topic and disruptive to the flow of discussion of this incident and thus TOS violations. Please keep that in mind when posting.

Thank you for doing your best to be responsible and respectful posters at Websleuths.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

If the parents survive and are able to tell their story, the civil suit against the officer has I think a good chance. I honestly hope that public awareness about people, both cops and citizens shooting unarmed folks in the name of self defense brings about some changes.

If the parents survive and are able to tell their story, the civil suit against the officer has I think a good chance. I honestly hope that public awareness about people, both cops and citizens shooting unarmed folks in the name of self defense brings about some changes.

I think that a civil lawsuit against LAPD is definitely a possibility, based on a lack of training issue. And also, potentially, Corona PD, for not arresting a man who SHOT THREE PEOPLE AT COSTCO! Hello!!

That seems to be a "no-brainer" that anyone who would have shot three people would have been arrested! Especially, people who had no weapons.

According to Corona PD (and also reported in the local paper), the investigation has been completed. No details on what conclusions may have come out of the investigation.
Meanwhile the Killer is free and still collecting a paycheck. Naturally they're rushing right out to arrest him, like they would any other person about to be charged with Manslaughter.

Still hoping that some sort of justice will be served, but I'm not holding my breath.

Meanwhile the Killer is free and still collecting a paycheck. Naturally they're rushing right out to arrest him, like they would any other person about to be charged with Manslaughter.

Still hoping that some sort of justice will be served, but I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly. Where is that video?

Don't hold your breath...

I wonder what meds he was "off of" then.... there is no medicine for autism, so that couldn't have been the condition the meds were for...

Many individuals diagnosed with Autism and other comorbid conditions take medications to help mitigate symptomatic behaviours. Risperdal is commonly prescribed to treat autistic aggression. Chlorpromazine for self injury (Risperdal and CPZ may also be prescribed to patients with schizophrenia.) . Clonidine for hyperactivity/hyperkinesis. As well, it is not uncommon for patients with autism to develop seizures in their late teens/early adulthood . Often, those seizures will require medication.

What if we let Corona PD and anyone else that we're still following this case and following it closely! I'm afraid if there are very few people demanding answers, the happier they are to sweep this under the rug. They're praying and/or hoping everyone forgets.

I really do see this case as being an opportunity to provide education to the public about adults who have disabilities. Reactions like shooting a person who may have inadvertently bumped into you, or even if it was more direct.

Officer Sanchez could have waited for Mr. French's parents to explain the situation, before shooting them.

Many individuals diagnosed with Autism and other comorbid conditions take medications to help mitigate symptomatic behaviours. Risperdal is commonly prescribed to treat autistic aggression. Chlorpromazine for self injury (Risperdal and CPZ may also be prescribed to patients with schizophrenia.) . Clonidine for hyperactivity/hyperkinesis. As well, it is not uncommon for patients with autism to develop seizures in their late teens/early adulthood . Often, those seizures will require medication.
Thank you for letting me know! I had no idea... :/

I really do see this case as being an opportunity to provide education to the public about adults who have disabilities. Reactions like shooting a person who may have inadvertently bumped into you, or even if it was more direct.

Officer Sanchez could have waited for Mr. French's parents to explain the situation, before shooting them.

The sad thing is, this is exactly the kind of behavior we disdain in those we affiliate with "gang" lifestyles (especially young people). So many different rules for different people.

I really do see this case as being an opportunity to provide education to the public about adults who have disabilities.

I agree. Though disabled or not, the use of disproportionate force by the shooter is the problem here. It could have been me, without mental health issues, that bumped into the shooter and got shot.

I also wish we referred to the shooter as "the shooter" and not an off duty police officer. We can then sense the inequity when we read statements that say "the shooter was treated for minor injuries and allowed to go home".

He would not say whether the DA would conduct its own investigation or rely on the police findings. “It is under review,” Hall wrote in an email.

District Attorney Mike Hestrin told City News Service that Corona police detectives submitted the case file without a specific recommendation. Hestrin would not disclose the content of the report, and he was uncertain how long his team may need to spend analyzing it and conducting follow-up interviews with witnesses.

Corona Costco shooting investigation now in hands of Riverside County District Attorney’s Office – Press Enterprise

I am surprised the investigation only took them 2 weeks.

Honestly I see repeatedly that law enforcement needs the education the most. Just like in so many other cases, if they'd understood we likely wouldn't have dead and traumatized people left behind.

I believe that most regular citizens would have gotten up ready to fight and said "what the hell man!" Then the father would have apologized and explained and all would have been fine.

I think it's the badge, that gives these people that extra belief that they don't have to do that, they can just fire.

After shooting of disabled man at Corona Costco, group discusses safe interactions between disabled and police – Press Enterprise

Also, since this guy was off duty this doesn't much apply. But maybe if he'd been trained about people with disabilities...

Last edited:
It’s not just the Costco shooting. Disabled people are often killed by police

What if we let Corona PD and anyone else that we're still following this case and following it closely! I'm afraid if there are very few people demanding answers, the happier they are to sweep this under the rug. They're praying and/or hoping everyone forgets.

You could always call and let the DA know you are following it.
Riverside DA's office is deciding whether or not to charge him. Many people will be calling Monday morning to voice their opinion.

It’s not just the Costco shooting. Disabled people are often killed by police

You could always call and let the DA know you are following it.
Riverside DA's office is deciding whether or not to charge him. Many people will be calling Monday morning to voice their opinion.

I still don't understand why he was never arrested in the first place. And I definitely don't understand why he isn't being charged with a crime.

Unless, of course, we live in a police state, where off duty police officers are above the law.

I still don't understand why he was never arrested in the first place. And I definitely don't understand why he isn't being charged with a crime.

Unless, of course, we live in a police state, where off duty police officers are above the law.
Inching closer to that eventuality every day. If not there already.

The officer going unconscious from a "push" or "slap" is strange to me. There will be a significant twist to this story I think. To get knocked to the ground (from behind) unconscious with your 18 month child in your arms....you would likely be rattled and fear for your childs life and your own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member