CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagtales10

Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.64890aab017a

The Corona Police Department says a fatal shooting inside a Costco Wholesale warehouse store Friday night took place after a 32-year-old man attacked an off-duty police officer.

The department says in a statement that Kenneth French of Riverside assaulted the Los Angeles Police Department officer while he was holding his young child. The statement goes on to say that the officer fired his gun, hitting French and two of French’s relatives. The department says French was killed. The relatives are in critical conditions at hospitals.

The article didn't mention that the officer was arrested, or taken to the hospital for a blood test, to determine whether or not alcohol was a factor.

If any other person had shot 3 people at Costco, that person would have definitely been arrested. My concern here, is that again, a police officer shoots someone, completely unrelated to their job, and yet, it appears, from the limited information in the article that the officer was not arrested, is not currently detained, and has not been charged with any crime at all. At the very least, discharging a weapon in a public place. Anything?

It definitely seems like there is a separate system of justice when a police officer shoots someone. That should worry anyone.

The article didn't mention that the officer was arrested, or taken to the hospital for a blood test, to determine whether or not alcohol was a factor.

If any other person had shot 3 people at Costco, that person would have definitely been arrested. My concern here, is that again, a police officer shoots someone, completely unrelated to their job, and yet, it appears, from the limited information in the article that the officer was not arrested, is not currently detained, and has not been charged with any crime at all. At the very least, discharging a weapon in a public place. Anything?

It definitely seems like there is a separate system of justice when a police officer shoots someone. That should worry anyone.
With the limited information we have it's impossible to know how the situation developed. I'll wait to learn more. That being said, it's hard to picture the shooter being threatened to the point of needing to use lethal force. I would not be surprised to see some charges filed.

Well he must have been verbal at some point because he was posting on social media and supposedly even attended a University. Various people claiming to be relatives seems to suggest there was something mentally wrong with him, but unclear exactly what.

From the article

Shureih doesn’t know what might have led to the shooting, but he said it’s unlikely that Kenneth French initiated a verbal confrontation. His cousin’s mental condition had declined in recent years, and he no longer spoke.

With the limited information we have it's impossible to know how the situation developed. I'll wait to learn more. That being said, it's hard to picture the shooter being threatened to the point of needing to use lethal force. I would not be surprised to see some charges filed.

Very well said.

I agree completely, though as you stated limited information allows for possible justification of the multiple shootings, the totality seems well... strange.

The deceased individual, though relatively large, does not look especially powerful. Likewise, the officer fired at two additional people (one female, both upper middle aged- again, neither looking like they have unusual physical ability for their age). That means that the officer must justify lethal force against not just the larger individual, but possibly against all three individuals.

Then factor in that California is not a stand your ground state so if the shooter was not acting as a police officer, he had the duty to attempt to retreat- did he instead choose to continue a personal argument? In addition, if he felt a crime was taking place, did he make any effort to identify himself as a police officer?

Though it is possible that looks can be deceiving and deadly force was justified against all three (group attack, blocking off avenues of retreat, attempting to wrestle the weapon away, kidnap attempt on child etc. ?), the officer would appear to have an uphill climb.

Last edited:
Terrifying how many other people were at risk of being shot in cross fire. I cannot imagine anything so bad that would require the off duty officer to use his weapon in a public place like this.

I assume since it was in Costco they should have security footage to see what happened.

I hope charges are filed and the officer is fired.

I'm going to take the wait and see approach on this. Too many times recently the first impression of a situation involving LE is wrong. And it turns out LE did in fact handle a situation correctly. A family that is hurting is not an unbiased opinion. They usually post a pic that is not a correct representation of the subject. We see that all the time in missing persons cases. The picture initially released looks nothing like the person the day they went missing.

In any case, let the cctv video and witnesses tell the story.

I'm going to take the wait and see approach on this. Too many times recently the first impression of a situation involving LE is wrong. And it turns out LE did in fact handle a situation correctly. A family that is hurting is not an unbiased opinion. They usually post a pic that is not a correct representation of the subject. We see that all the time in missing persons cases. The picture initially released looks nothing like the person the day they went missing.

In any case, let the cctv video and witnesses tell the story.

I get that, but i cant even stretch myself to think a situation where an off duty LE needs to shoot "6 or 7 times" at an unarmed Family.

Hope we find out what happened and its not swiped under the rug to protect their own.

I get that, but i cant even stretch myself to think a situation where an off duty LE needs to shoot "6 or 7 times" at an unarmed Family.

Hope we find out what happened and its not swiped under the rug to protect their own.
Do we know for a fact that the deceased man who allegedly attacked the officer was unarmed? Did he have a knife perhaps? JMO

Do we know for a fact that the deceased man who allegedly attacked the officer was unarmed? Did he have a knife perhaps? JMO

Kenneth French: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

The officer’s gun was the only weapon involved in the incident, contrary to earlier reports. As is standard procedure in such investigations, the Corona Police Department is working closely with the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office who will be evaluating the facts and circumstances of this incident,” they said. No one is in custody, the LA Times reported.

I take this as unarmed. If a knife was used they would say "only firearm"

MOO

I don't want to see it swept under the rug either. Mr. French was a large man. He could probably be intimidating when mad.

I don't want to see it swept under the rug either. Mr. French was a large man. He could probably be intimidating when mad.

And a LE with a gun knows you have many options that are not shooting 6-7 times in a public place.

It reminds me of the shooting of Markeis McGlockton. Except French was mentally handicapped, there is no stand your ground law and the shooter an off-duty LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken