CA - 'Onion Field' killer Jimmy Lee Smith dies in prison

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by Taximom, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Taximom

Taximom Former Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/04/09/obit.smith.ap/index.html
    LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Jimmy Lee Smith, the lifelong criminal whose role in the 1963 kidnapping and killing of a police officer inspired Joseph Wambaugh's crime book "The Onion Field," has died behind bars at age 76, a state prisons official said.

(Now that I think about it, this book (and movie) along with Truman Capote's In Cold Blood started my "true-crime" addiction.)

2. Loading...

3. Floh

Floh Former Member

I'm glad he never walked the streets again.

4. nanandjim

nanandjim Former Member

It sounds like he did walk the streets again, or, at least, that is how I interpret the article. I think that he was paroled and then got back into trouble his entire life.

The policeman's partner was able to escape, thank goodness. I wonder if he is still alive today.

5. Malapoo

Malapoo New Member

Yes he served 19 years for the murder and was then paroled. Was in for other thiings over the years and this one sounds like a parole violation. I know they were originally sentenced to death, and it seems to me that a death sentence when commuted should be life without parole.

Hettinger died in 1994 at 59 after an illness is what I found. (The other officer)