CA - Oscar Grant, 22, fatally shot by BART officer, Oakland, 1 Jan 2009 *GUILTY* *Reopened in 2020*

Thanks for the Info..I really feel sorry for officer Johannes, he is from my town Napa so I might be bias, but I know they just had a baby and was lacking sleep..He wasn't out of the academy very long, no excuse but going to a academy in Napa, does NOT get you ready for OAKLAND..I lived in that TOWN an it is NOT NICE..a lot of Gang Bangers an killings all they time..Sad he got a job there.

They cudn't pay me enough to work in that town. almost as bad as Richmond,CA ( I lived there also and cudn't get out of there fast enough) a town a few miles away, an another town from HELL....I think they have had about 3000 killings in the last few years.Living in Napa a small Wine country loving town which we hardly have any Blacks, mostly hispanics. So getting out of Napa academy an going to OAKLAND would be your worst NIGHTMARE,
Unless you are from this area it is hard to explain the violence all the time there especially the Blacks against the Whites.
So hope this isn't a lynch job..Grant does have a background, he was no angel.

Just to clarify - he worked for BART - not in the Oakland PD. Still not a cushy location but better than working in the city of Oakland for sure. That is really sad that his baby was born so soon after all this went down. I don't feel this was a deliberate act (though in the beginning I sure did) - and if indeed this was not deliberate I feel sorry for Mehserle -he must be up to his ears in legal fees and what's he going to do for work after this if found not guilty. :(

I feel sorry for him, since I don't believe he had the Right Training, an was probably scared when faced with these men..all screaming an grant kicks the other officer in the groin..an hard to cuff..Resisting arrests was Grants really stupid move, I think Johannes went into a panic mode, The pictures they show of Johannes he looks so stolic but all his friends say he is such a gentle man..I think he is just plain scared now facing Murder charges.

Have they said if his wife an family is there? will they have a live feed?

No live feed unfortunately. No cameras allowed in the courtroom so we are left to follow blogs or the links that Joe Jones posts. I haven't heard about whether Mehserle's family is there. They do report each and every day (all two of them so far ;) ) that Oscar Grant's mother is there and will be there for the duration of the trial. And I agree with you- I don't think he had proper training.

trial starts up again today, more witnesses who took video of the shooting are expected

It seems odd to me that there are no blacks on the jury.

Thank you for the updates Mr. Jones. I am surprised that there aren't more members following this trial. I have looked at the videos, and I think it was a mistake. But, that is not going to sit well with the protesters if he is acquitted. I think I am glad i am not on this jury. jmo

other testimony from today was from his girlfriend who received a call from Grant during the incident, she said he sounded scared and said they (the cops) were beating them up for no reason,

other witnesses to testify witnessed the incident, and said Grant was not resisting arrest, they also said Pirone (one of the cops who was there) was agressive and swearing

Thank you for the updates Mr. Jones. I am surprised that there aren't more members following this trial. I have looked at the videos, and I think it was a mistake. But, that is not going to sit well with the protesters if he is acquitted. I think I am glad i am not on this jury. jmo

I'm surprised too that there isn't more interest in this trial. And yeah- there is concern out here about what will happen if he's not convicted. I know I won't be going anywhere near Oakland on verdict day!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back