CA - Pamela Johnson, 59, murdered, Alturas, 21 Feb 2017 *Arrest*

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Auntie Cipation, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Context Matters.

@Niner you are on the ball, thank you! I haven't heard any rumors about today's hearing. I'll post whatever appears in the paper on Thursday. Thank you again!

Niner likes this.
  2. Auntie Cipation

Well, there was a big fat nothing in the Modoc Record last week about this case and what happened at the hearing on Tuesday.

I am afraid that the editor was getting his information through casual communication with the former DA, and now that 1) that DA is out of office, and 2) this case is not under the jurisdiction of the new DA but rather has been given to a deputy State Attorney General, there is no route for information to get to the public. The editor doesn't appear to be willing/able to send someone to the hearings directly.

Will report back whenever I know more.

Niner likes this.
  3. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Calixo and Auntie Cipation like this.
  4. Niner

Tuesday, May 21st:
    *Diversion Hearing (@ 1pm PT) – CA – Pamela Sue Johnson (59) (Feb. 20, 2017, Alturas) – *Robert Allen Vogee (59) charged with 1st degree murder with premeditation & deliberation, burglary (Pam’s house), arson (his house) & the use of a deadly/dangerous weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bail
    Trial was to start 12/10/18 but delayed.
    10/9/18 Update: Marsden motion (change attorneys) has been denied. 12/10/18 trial date was vacated. Will set trial date on 11/20/18.
    10/27/18 Update: The State Atty General will be prosecuting this case, as the present DA was voted out of office & incoming DA was Vogee’s public defender on this case.
    1/28/19 Update: Pretrial hearing 1/29/19. 1/29/19: Next Pretrial Motions hearing re Vogee’s mental health plea on 3/12/19.
    3/12/19 Update: Next Diversion hearing re trial confirmation setting on 5/21.

Auntie Cipation likes this.
  5. Auntie Cipation

Thank you, @Niner !

As I said earlier, Modoc County seems to have lost its path for information about this case to get to the public. So frustrating!

I've been meaning to send a message to the DA about this, but haven't yet done so. And of course the DA's office is no longer the prosecutor in this case, so not sure what he can do about it anyway.

I also tried to reach out to a tv reporter from Oregon to ask that he cover the case, but I never got a reply so I can't be sure my message even went to the correct inbox.

If I hear anything about today's hearing I will post it!

Niner likes this.
  6. Niner

Okay Auntie Cipation!

Vogee is on my look-every-day-list.... :)

7. Niner

Just looked at the calendar - nothing thru 5/31....

8. Auntie Cipation

Nothing appeared in the MSM about the result of the hearing last week.

I've been out of town but hopefully this coming week I can send a note to the DA asking for regular public updates on this case, either from him or from the state prosecutors.

Niner likes this.
  9. Niner

Wondering - are we the only 2 people following this case?? :)

10. Auntie Cipation

Seems like it! I keep hoping Pamela's family will find WS but they are thousands of miles from the west coast and probably wouldn't have much more information on the justice system process angle other than their understandable frustration at the delays.

What gets me is that in terms of the horrific nature of the crime, this is up there alongside so many other cases that are getting nationwide attention in MSM as well as here on WS.

But the combination of the fact that Pamela was only missing for about a day before her body was found (ie no big publicity to find her), plus the hidden away nature of Modoc County with one small weekly paper and no tv news presence, means there is simply no pressure on the justice system to make information public.

As a resident of the general area, while I appreciate the remoteness of the area in most aspects, here is an arena where I wish we had more attention.

I think the background setting of this crime, the physical brutality and oddness of it, and the psychological status of the perp are as worthy of large-scale attention as any on this site. Not to mention the question of whether the perp had previous crimes as yet unsolved (there was at least one known incident that never was prosecuted. And plenty of opportunities in terms of unsolved crimes in the vicinity of places he's lived over the years). But no one else seems interested... :mad:

chipperfield, tmar and Niner like this.
  11. Niner

But I am! :) Interested in this case.

and thank you for keeping up with the little news you are getting and posting it here.

Justice of Pamela!!!

12. chipperfield

chipperfield New Member

I have been trying to follow this case and just found this site. I appreciate the information, as I am in the East, and find it difficult to get current information.

Niner and Auntie Cipation like this.
  13. Auntie Cipation

Welcome @chipperfield !

Unfortunately it's difficult to get information on this case even locally. I am in the same county where it happened and will continue to post whatever appears in the news media, and to do what I can to get more media to report on it. The last few hearings have not even made the local news.

I did hear today that the newspaper editor has asked the state attorney general's office for updates but hasn't gotten any. The newspaper is pretty much a one-man show so the editor can't really spend the time chasing them down when they don't respond. (my interpretation only)

chipperfield and Niner like this.
  14. Niner

[​IMG] chipperfield to WS and this case!

Autie Cipation - I'm glad you are here too - for the "local" news!

Just checked the court site - nothing for him thru 5/31. That's how far the calendar goes and unfortunately, I haven't found a link there where I can go to his actual case and look up future court hearings. Frustrating!!

chipperfield and Auntie Cipation like this.
  15. Auntie Cipation

Modoc is a pretty off-line kind of place. But @Niner I have a thought -- do you know of a place online where cases being tried by the California Attorney General's office can be followed? If so, this case might show up there. And also if so, please share the link as I want to check it out too!

Either way, thanks so much for your updates and persistence!

Niner and chipperfield like this.
  16. Auntie Cipation

Ok, I have some information, finally!

I emailed the California Office of the Attorney General and asked how to find out information about the case since it's not being reported in the media.

This afternoon I got a call from the 916 area code and, as is my habit, I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number. Too late I realized it could be them (I had been hoping for a reply by email but I had also provided my phone number).

Anyway, it was indeed their office and the caller left me a voicemail giving me the name and email address of the prosecuting attorney and invited me to contact her, while reminding me the attorney would only be able to give out information that was public (well duh).

I haven't emailed the attorney yet, but the woman leaving the voicemail did give two tidbits of information:

Next pre-trial hearing scheduled for July 16, and trial currently scheduled for Sept 9.

I still would like to know the outcome of the mental health hearings (the most recent two hearings, if I recall correctly) and will be looking into various options to get that info. Since the public is welcome in the courtroom during these hearings, I can't understand how the outcomes wouldn't be public information.

I am still trying to decide if I will attend the trial or not. I wish I knew whether there will be a decent number of people in the audience, as one of my discomforts would be to be recognized by the defendant.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  17. Niner

Well Auntie Cipation - I found a site for the attorney general's office:
    Public Records

BUT!! You have to pay to get court info....

And thanks for making that call - at least we have some dates! :)

I hope you WILL attend the trial and be our reporter! :D

18. Niner

Looks like he has 2 hearings in a row.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 @ 1pm

#20 Further Proceedings-Trial Status F-17-056 People vs. Vogee, Robert Allen
    Vogee, Robert Allen - Defendant Cotta, Richard - Attorney for Defendant

link: page 3 of 12:
    Modoc County Superior Court Court Calendar

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 @ 9am

#60 Motion Hearing-Marsden Motion F-17-056 People vs. Vogee, Robert Allen
    Vogee, Robert Allen - Defendant Cotta, Richard - Attorney for Defendant

link: page 8 of 12 above link

19. Niner

A Marsden motion is the only means by which a criminal defendant can fire a court-appointed attorney or communicate directly with a judge in a California state court. It is based on a defendant's claim that the attorney is providing ineffective assistance or has a conflict with the defendant.

chipperfield likes this.
  20. Auntie Cipation

Thanks @Niner !

I knew about the Tuesday hearing but not about Wednesday's. Very interesting because he already tried to get rid of his current attorney via a Marsden Motion last October, and was denied.