Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries. I just don't think he is there. We can certainly co-exist here with differing theories. I hope that one day we find out what happened to Paul, no matter what.
Yes, all theories are weighed equally around here! You think he is a walk away, or? I definitely believe he is in there, and believe Neil who said he saw him.

There are no rock formations? I thought there were a lot there ,which is why some posters think he fell in between rocks / boulders. Also have seen some in photos. Maybe I’m just misunderstanding what is meant by the term ‘rock formations’.
Probably to mean if you stay on the trail. Wandering off would def show rock formations. JMO

Yes, all theories are weighed equally around here! You think he is a walk away, or? I definitely believe he is in there, and believe Neil who said he saw him.

From what we know, this doesn't seem like a "walk-away" to me. folks like Paul Miller (responsible, employed, family he's responsible for, "solid" sister, etc) don't intentionally disappear very often. Esp a Canadian in the US. Likely, he went off trail to take a photo-chasing bighorn or the like. Got turned around. then twisted an ankle-fell, or the like...
I know the park, a bit, but haven't hiked this trail. Don't see an "obvious" goal off trail which would have led him away, but...
Folks die in J'tree (true of most NPs, but this one is particularly unforgiving). A few years back, a couple (Dutchman and a German) were looking for "the" Joshua Tree which was photographed for the cover of the U2 album "Joshua Tree" . Sadly, it's nowhere near J Tree NP. Guus Van Hove, Dutch Music Man Who Died in Joshua Tree, May Have Been Searching for Site of U2's Album Cover

From what we know, this doesn't seem like a "walk-away" to me. folks like Paul Miller (responsible, employed, family he's responsible for, "solid" sister, etc) don't intentionally disappear very often. Esp a Canadian in the US. Likely, he went off trail to take a photo-chasing bighorn or the like. Got turned around. then twisted an ankle-fell, or the like...
I know the park, a bit, but haven't hiked this trail. Don't see an "obvious" goal off trail which would have led him away, but...
Folks die in J'tree (true of most NPs, but this one is particularly unforgiving). A few years back, a couple (Dutchman and a German) were looking for "the" Joshua Tree which was photographed for the cover of the U2 album "Joshua Tree" . Sadly, it's nowhere near J Tree NP. Guus Van Hove, Dutch Music Man Who Died in Joshua Tree, May Have Been Searching for Site of U2's Album Cover
Between Gram Parsons and U2, there seems to be a lot of rock lore attached to this park!

There is nothing like boots on the ground.
Looking at this area from the perspective of Google Maps or even video from the trail really doesn’t convey just how rugged the terrain is and how hemmed in a hiker is. There are very few alternative pathways to take on this 1.5 mile (one way) hike, but after spending a couple of more days walking the area I have developed theory to explain Paul’s actions and possible method of his demise. I’ll post some short videos, if I am able to, that will explain my thoughts. I am getting a “File is to large” error message but I’ll keep trying figure it out.

There is nothing like boots on the ground.
Looking at this area from the perspective of Google Maps or even video from the trail really doesn’t convey just how rugged the terrain is and how hemmed in a hiker is. There are very few alternative pathways to take on this 1.5 mile (one way) hike, but after spending a couple of more days walking the area I have developed theory to explain Paul’s actions and possible method of his demise. I’ll post some short videos, if I am able to, that will explain my thoughts. I am getting a “File is to large” error message but I’ll keep trying figure it out.
Curious to hear your thoughts. I've always had a theory (only a guess), but no visuals to base it on. Thanks for taking the time to search.

There are no rock formations? I thought there were a lot there ,which is why some posters think he fell in between rocks / boulders. Also have seen some in photos. Maybe I’m just misunderstanding what is meant by the term ‘rock formations’.

I'll try to clarify - Joshua Tree is an incredibly popular rock climbing destination with thousands and thousands of established climbing routes that are published in guide books. I have done many climbing trips to the area and there are no popular or "classic" climbs in the area of 49 palms - the closest area is that climbers are *likely* to frequent is rattlesnake canyon. A lot people love to climb here because you can start climbing 100 ft from where you park your car but there are also climbs that take you off the main trails (especially in an area called "the wonderland of rocks") to find a particular route. If a person went missing somewhere in one of those regions, there would be a greater chance (IMHO) of them being found. Unfortunately, even though there are formations out in this area (and really almost everywhere in the northwestern section of the park) - they are not listed in my guidebooks and therefore are less likely to have off-trail traffic that would help find Paul.
That was longer than I intended, but hopefully clarifies my original comment!

ETA - If you want to "see" more of what I mean, check out this cool map from mountain project that lists climbing routes/areas for J-tree and you can see what I mean about the areas that would get a lot of off-trail traffic as people go in search of a specific climb:
Climbing Map of Joshua Tree National Park

It was reported he went that morning for a quick hike to specifically take photographs. IMO he did not decide to go climbing or bouldering. I don't have a theory that he is a "walk off" or a suicide. There are still other possibilities.

But I will say again, as I have said so, so many times. Suicide does not follow a road map. It can be the person who has it all together, just closed on a house, just booked an international vacation, just got a promotion, just baked cookies, loves their family, just made a dentist appointment for next week, is excited for the Superbowl... it can be (and so often is) someone who everyone around them says, "no way, never ever"... We see it here time and time again.

As for Neil, I have no clue if he saw Paul or not. I tend to doubt his account, but am certainly open to it being true also. Regardless, does it help us? Taking it at face value as a valid sighting, Paul was on a mission that morning - he was intent on getting somewhere.

I'll try to clarify - Joshua Tree is an incredibly popular rock climbing destination with thousands and thousands of established climbing routes that are published in guide books. I have done many climbing trips to the area and there are no popular or "classic" climbs in the area of 49 palms - the closest area is that climbers are *likely* to frequent is rattlesnake canyon. A lot people love to climb here because you can start climbing 100 ft from where you park your car but there are also climbs that take you off the main trails (especially in an area called "the wonderland of rocks") to find a particular route. If a person went missing somewhere in one of those regions, there would be a greater chance (IMHO) of them being found. Unfortunately, even though there are formations out in this area (and really almost everywhere in the northwestern section of the park) - they are not listed in my guidebooks and therefore are less likely to have off-trail traffic that would help find Paul.
That was longer than I intended, but hopefully clarifies my original comment!

ETA - If you want to "see" more of what I mean, check out this cool map from mountain project that lists climbing routes/areas for J-tree and you can see what I mean about the areas that would get a lot of off-trail traffic as people go in search of a specific climb:
How far is the Sheep Pass Area (shown on the map) from the parking lot?
He specially went on that short fast hike to photograph Sheep.

Last edited:
How far is the Sheep Pass Area (shown on the map) from the parking lot?
He specially went on that short fast hike to photograph Sheep.

Sheep's Pass is the name of one of the campgrounds in the park and it is right off the main park road and nowhere near 49 palms. The climbing map refers to climbs around this campground and most (if not all) are close to the parking area. If that was an intended destination, you would just take a car there. I have camped there many times and never seen a big horn sheep.

The only time I have seen the big horns was at an oasis (in Anza Borrego, but similar terrain). If Paul was hoping to see them, he was headed to a likely area at the right time of day to find them. I have never seen them at JTNP despite many, many visits, but I also wasn't seeking them out. It is fair to say that they are much rarer than, say, a coyote.

It was reported he went that morning for a quick hike to specifically take photographs. IMO he did not decide to go climbing or bouldering. I don't have a theory that he is a "walk off" or a suicide. There are still other possibilities.
<snipped for focus>
I absolutely was not intending to derail the discussions with the climbing talk or in any way suggesting Paul himself was there to climb. I was just pointing out that this particular trail is less likely to see a lot of off-trail activity as opposed to lots of other trails/areas in the park which have literally hundreds of climbers scrambling around in search of specific routes. Sadly, (IMO) this reduces the likelihood of him being "happened upon" by park visitors. I do think that this spring we will see more searches when weather conditions are favorable.

Sheep's Pass is the name of one of the campgrounds in the park and it is right off the main park road and nowhere near 49 palms. The climbing map refers to climbs around this campground and most (if not all) are close to the parking area. If that was an intended destination, you would just take a car there. I have camped there many times and never seen a big horn sheep.

The only time I have seen the big horns was at an oasis (in Anza Borrego, but similar terrain). If Paul was hoping to see them, he was headed to a likely area at the right time of day to find them. I have never seen them at JTNP despite many, many visits, but I also wasn't seeking them out. It is fair to say that they are much rarer than, say, a coyote.

Ive only seen sheep in the wild on two occasions in my life. Both not even in that state. One time in Colorado and one time on a highway where I caught a sighting of one up on a big cliff outcropping way up high on a mountain overlooking the highway. The only reason I spotted that one sheep was because it was pure white and the rock around him was all dark color so he stood out like a sore thumb on the cliff.

The Colorado ones were in a herd and up high in the mountains also. Someone else had spotted them with binoculars and was passing around the binoculars for us all to see them.

They are a beautiful animal so I do know why Paul may have been interested in trying to capture them on film.

If we take what we know at face value and take the witness sighting as truthful then it all points to him getting heat stroke. Maybe even got heat stroke on the way in before he got there because it sounded like he was in a hurry "on a mission" and didnt stop to talk. He may have over exerted himself and ran into heart and lung trouble even before he reached the Oasis.

Trying to think what I would do if I knew I had to stop and rest in a situation like that. I would likely try to veer off the path to get what little shade I could find. So I would be headed for whatever rocks or boulders are either right or left of the trail as I headed toward the Oasis.

If I had to guess based on that assumption I think shortly after he left the hilly area in the middle as he got down the hill and was heading to the Oasis is where he ran into health trouble. Then I think he would have made a beeline for some rocks or boulders right or left of the trail.

That would be my guess if we take what we know at face value.

My other theory involves foul play before he even got there. But for that theory to be true then I would have to discount the witness sighting.

Ive only seen sheep in the wild on two occasions in my life. Both not even in that state. One time in Colorado and one time on a highway where I caught a sighting of one up on a big cliff outcropping way up high on a mountain overlooking the highway. The only reason I spotted that one sheep was because it was pure white and the rock around him was all dark color so he stood out like a sore thumb on the cliff.

The Colorado ones were in a herd and up high in the mountains also. Someone else had spotted them with binoculars and was passing around the binoculars for us all to see them.

They are a beautiful animal so I do know why Paul may have been interested in trying to capture them on film.

If we take what we know at face value and take the witness sighting as truthful then it all points to him getting heat stroke. Maybe even got heat stroke on the way in before he got there because it sounded like he was in a hurry "on a mission" and didnt stop to talk. He may have over exerted himself and ran into heart and lung trouble even before he reached the Oasis.

Trying to think what I would do if I knew I had to stop and rest in a situation like that. I would likely try to veer off the path to get what little shade I could find. So I would be headed for whatever rocks or boulders are either right or left of the trail as I headed toward the Oasis.

If I had to guess based on that assumption I think shortly after he left the hilly area in the middle as he got down the hill and was heading to the Oasis is where he ran into health trouble. Then I think he would have made a beeline for some rocks or boulders right or left of the trail.

That would be my guess if we take what we know at face value.

My other theory involves foul play before he even got there. But for that theory to be true then I would have to discount the witness sighting.
I think this is a good possibility. A beeline for the Oasis itself might be the best option as there would be shade and a place to rest.

I've always thought he may, at this point, after having reached his destination, have become disoriented and headed out in the wrong direction. I recall mention earlier in this thread of a faint trail or wash that could be mistaken for a trail that heads off in another direction. Either he mistakenly went the wrong way, or he thought he had a little more time to investigate and search for the sheep. JMO

RBBM

I absolutely was not intending to derail the discussions with the climbing talk or in any way suggesting Paul himself was there to climb. I was just pointing out that this particular trail is less likely to see a lot of off-trail activity as opposed to lots of other trails/areas in the park which have literally hundreds of climbers scrambling around in search of specific routes. Sadly, (IMO) this reduces the likelihood of him being "happened upon" by park visitors. I do think that this spring we will see more searches when weather conditions are favorable.
I found what you posted to be interesting. And relevant. It's beneficial to know some of the reasons it may be difficult to find him, even now. And it is as well, to understand that there really isn't much else along this trail to distract a hiker from the out-and-back destination.

To note - his sister spent a lot of time looking though, when she visited in the fall, on and off the trail.

Personally I think he made it to the Oasis and then became lost trying to head back out, whether due to heat stroke or some incapacity...or just plain human error.

Last edited:

I think this is a good possibility. A beeline for the Oasis itself might be the best option as there would be shade and a place to rest.

I've always thought he may, at this point, after having reached his destination, have become disoriented and headed out in the wrong direction. I recall mention earlier in this thread of a faint trail or wash that could be mistaken for a trail that heads off in another direction. Either he mistakenly went the wrong way, or he thought he had a little more time to investigate and search for the sheep. JMO

Re BBM
Thats always possible too. I remember too about reading about how some can mistaken a path trying to head back out from the Oasis area.

The only reason I kind of think he didnt make it that far was the description of the witness sighting. To me it sure sounded like he was already in trouble healthwise based on that witness. It just didnt sound good the way he behaved towards the witness. Ignoring him and not saying anything and hurrying away. Sounded to me he was already in full blown heat stroke possibly. So I figured he made it down the hill on sheer will power and then at bottom he had to find what little shade he could.

But your theory is just as likely if he made the Oasis. I even remember someone in an article saying they live in a town near there where hikers see their town in the distance and make a beeline towards her town thinking it is not nearly as far as it is. The hikers make a beeline for her town and end up in her backyard area needing help after they end up hiking much farther than they thought. Most likely miles to get to her town. She indicated that it looks much closer than it really is but it is a long ways away but people from the Joshua hikes can see her town in the distance.
She indicated more than one example of hikers ended up in her backyard area.

I cant remember what article I saw that described.

Last edited:
I’m not having any luck getting Twitter to open wonder, butI what she’s referring to specifically, the FBI not being asked to search?
It does seem our national parks are routinely criticized for their search efforts, some of which could certainly be justified. Well, just ask David Paulides.
I don’t see any reason not to invite the FBI in as it seems there’s no indication of what happened to Paul, he is after all a missing person, and I don’t recall hearing that the possibility of criminal activity has been ruled out.
I would very much like to see them get involved. JMO

What criticism is justified in your opinion? Can you elaborate? thanks
Re FBI-there was and is essentially no evidence of foul play or criminal misdoing in this case. The FBI is a LE org, not an org w/ SAR expertise.

JMO
I have to keep many possible options open as to what may have happened.

Some of the top ones on my list are below in no particular order except for the 1st and 2nd ones which I think are my top theories right now.

1*He had climbed up on some taller rocks to try to look for the sheep and slipped and fell inbetween some boulders and is hard to spot where he is. If I could search I would focus on any boulders that are higher than surrounding areas.

And include searching the parking lot boulders which are right there in parking lot. I still wonder how well the hilly boulders were searched right near the parking lot.

2*He got heat stroke and started to panic without enough water and so he made a mistake trying to get back and made it quite a ways in the wrong direction until he died of heat exhaustion and has not been found yet because of how far in the wrong direction he went.

3*Something like this. I read about another case in the same general desert area where they said there are places where you can see the town in the distance and you think it is much closer than it really is. He may have spotted a town in the distance and went directly at it making a beeline for it without realizing it was many miles away. Because it would have looked a lot closer and maybe looked doable to him if he was getting hot and ran out of water.

4*He got abducted and robbed after his hike in the parking lot and someone took him away and dumped his body somewhere else.

5*A theory of some sort of life insurance scam and agreed separation if things were not going well on the home front. Some sort of preplanning where he would "disappear" for good and start a new life elsewhere and eventually would be expecting some funds to be sent.
The leaving of the driving license in the car may point to a possibility such as this. New identity elsewhere.

6*Similar theory to the above one except this one is where he may have just wanted to start a new life himself elsewhere. No strings attached and the other party may not have even been aware.

7*Cant outrule the theory of both going on the hike that morning and only one coming back. We have had a couple cases where someone was purposely pushed over a cliff. Just saw on a crime show just the other day about a guy that pushed his female partner off a very steep and scary looking cliff. Cant remember the names in that case.
The transportation back for the one person would take some planning but I think its doable so have to include this possibility.

8* Have to leave open the possibility that he was depressed and decided to end it all peacefully and alone by himself. The anniversary trip and last day of the trip may point to possible emotions that may have been going on.

I'm catching up. RE pushing off a cliff, I don't think there is anywhere on this hike where one could do that. I have not hiked this trail, but it is short, and the google views of route show no cliffs etc. There aren't many places in J tree where that sort of event would be practical (if any-places I'm aware of are ones where a body would be obvious). Even in a park like Zion Or Yosemite-where cliffs abound-bodies falling off said cliffs are normally found quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe